ADVERTISEMENT

player eligability

Nebraska Fan

Graduate Assistant
Sep 1, 2004
if a player starts at a school and takes a year off for a year of employment does he have three years eligibility if he goes to another school?

5 year clock starts when one is enrolled full-time and the clock doesn't stop. In your scenario, I highly doubt he's (academically) eligible.

5 year clock starts when one is enrolled full-time and the clock doesn't stop. In your scenario, I highly doubt he's (academically) eligible.
In my scenario he is a good student and earned 30 credit hours. Just takes a year to work.

In my scenario he is a good student and earned 30 credit hours. Just takes a year to work.

Is 30 enough in a 2-year period to remain eligibility? I don't have that answer...

5 year clock
-1 year at school
-1 year working

So he has 3 left, answering the above question I believe gives you the answer to the original question.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
As the others have said, once you enroll at a FBS school your five-year eligibility clock starts. If you take a year off to work, travel the world, or contemplate your navel, it doesn't matter, because the clock is still running.

Lower divisions don't have the same rules, so a player could transfer to a Div. II school and only be counted for the years they played.

if a player starts at a school and takes a year off for a year of employment does he have three years eligibility if he goes to another school?
Assuming he is in good academic standing when he leaves the original school, he is eligible after taking the year off. However, if he goes from one DI institution to another, he'll still have to spend a year "in residence" at the second school before playing. You can find the NCAA transfer rules at Bylaw 14.5

Also depends on the level. At DIII the clock used to stop if you weren't enrolled full time, though it may have changed. I heard they don't allow redshirts anymore unless you're injured. NAIA may also stop the clock for non-full-time students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT