ADVERTISEMENT

Player Development

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
I think player development was always a plus at Nebraska. Even without the top recruits the program was able to help players maximize their potential and when we did get the best recruits they became dominant. Something drastically bad happened starting in the Riley years that accelerated in the Frost years where players just did not improve and underperformed expectations.
The transfer portal helped fill in at QB, RB, WR, and special teams this year but it could not overcome the lack of development everywhere else on the team, particularly the lines and at LB. In past years transfers were pretty few in number and just filled in a hole here and there. But this team almost required an entire roster overhaul if it was going to be a winning team.
If you took the transfers off this team it's a winless squad. Pure and simple. Almost regardless of who you have at coach. Garret Nelson is one of the very few guys that is above average that were recruited into the program from high school. Yes, some recruits transferred away but much of the Frost recruits just have not developed to a level worthy of being in a P5 conference.
What the hell has happened that created this scenario? S&C must be very subpar but this is also indicative of a cultural problem where guys don't push each other and just accept average effort in workouts and practice.

nebraska had player devlopement back when we ran the ball and acctually tackled in practice.
and alot of wins

now nebraska is basicly ksu of the 80's with a half assed pass game, and high turn over of coaches and schemes
and alot of defeats

former good, latter bad

nebraska had player devlopement back when we ran the ball and acctually tackled in practice.
and alot of wins

now nebraska is basicly ksu of the 80's with a half assed pass game, and high turn over of coaches and schemes
and alot of defeats

former good, latter bad
It has zero to do with the system but everything to do with the coaching and the culture. There are dozens of stories about Tom finding talent no one else even knew existed. He got them on campus and developed the abilities with excellent assistant coaching and a consistent program.

It has zero to do with the system but everything to do with the coaching and the culture. There are dozens of stories about Tom finding talent no one else even knew existed. He got them on campus and developed the abilities with excellent assistant coaching and a consistent program.
And Boyd’s vitamins .,., 😉

And Boyd’s vitamins .,., 😉
giphy.gif

I think player development was always a plus at Nebraska. Even without the top recruits the program was able to help players maximize their potential and when we did get the best recruits they became dominant. Something drastically bad happened starting in the Riley years that accelerated in the Frost years where players just did not improve and underperformed expectations.
The transfer portal helped fill in at QB, RB, WR, and special teams this year but it could not overcome the lack of development everywhere else on the team, particularly the lines and at LB. In past years transfers were pretty few in number and just filled in a hole here and there. But this team almost required an entire roster overhaul if it was going to be a winning team.
If you took the transfers off this team it's a winless squad. Pure and simple. Almost regardless of who you have at coach. Garret Nelson is one of the very few guys that is above average that were recruited into the program from high school. Yes, some recruits transferred away but much of the Frost recruits just have not developed to a level worthy of being in a P5 conference.
What the hell has happened that created this scenario? S&C must be very subpar but this is also indicative of a cultural problem where guys don't push each other and just accept average effort in workouts and practice.

Frosts recruiting class rankings were always pretty good. The problem was guys didn’t get any better once they got here. 2AM is the classic example. Misses senior year of high school then the best year he has is as a true freshman. Goes downward after that until he finally got some coaching at k state.

Development and S&C is a huge problem.

I guess we will have to disagree..

the system that produced 500 yards ave per game, 4th quarter, chain movement, clock controll..etc,etc..
dr. tom wrote about his system in more then winning..it helped the defense stay fresh also.

it's far superior to your martinez bros, whipple pass happy, no tackel'in, golf simulator system...

but I won't argue...scoreboard speaks enough...keep running wandel up the middle, with clueless pass blocking

Last edited:
I guess we will have to disagree..

the system that produced 500 yards ave per game, 4th quarter, chain movement, clock controll..etc,etc..
dr. tom wrote about his system in more then winning..it helped the defense stay fresh also.

it's far superior to your martinez bros, whipple pass happy, no tackel'in, golf simulator system...

but I won't argue...scoreboard speaks enough...keep running wandel up the middle, with clueless pass blocking
You were originally talking about player development, not the system they were running.

Do you think TO and his staff in the 90's could or couldn't develop players for a spread or even a west coast offense? He proved he can develop and coach a passing game.

You were originally talking about player development, not the system they were running.

Do you think TO and his staff in the 90's could or couldn't develop players for a spread or even a west coast offense? He proved he can develop and coach a passing game.
3 of the pipeline's linemen were from within 50 miles of lincoln, these players developed by milt were in a system that focused on run blocking...not trying to out recruiting usc, ut, and florida for pass blocking olinemen.

people forget Nebraska has 1.5 million people..and not 5 stars every other mile like miami, houston or so cal.
so we had to develope players, and the best way was to develope them in a run system. for reasons listed above..

we are not going to out recruit texas for manning..or wr, and pass blocking olinemen..we may get one here or there, but not on that scale..

it's as bad as hearing fans say get urban myer..thats not gonna happen....

3 of the pipeline's linemen were from within 50 miles of lincoln, these players developed by milt were in a system that focused on run blocking...not trying to out recruiting usc, ut, and florida for pass blocking olinemen.

people forget Nebraska has 1.5 million people..and not 5 stars every other mile like miami, houston or so cal.
so we had to develope players, and the best way was to develope them in a run system. for reasons listed above..

we are not going to out recruit texas for manning..or wr, and pass blocking olinemen..we may get one here or there, but not on that scale..

And you forget that several of those guys admitted to using PEDs. Might have helped their “development”.

If I am.not mistaken, those grubs were not illegal at the time. That is a pretty broad category so it might be helpful to know exactly what they were taking, not that it is NOW illegal.

As for development verses a system, didn't teams win with the wishbone, west coast, pro set, and even spread? They could not have won cha.pionships with ANY "system" without proper player development.

Using Nebraska running game of the 90s is an example of excellent coaching an delayed development. It doesn't matter the size of the state, Bama doesn't get all its kids from Alabama, tOSU doesn't, Michigan doesn't as well so the size of the state isn't the key factor.

Redwing is looking to recreate the magic that Tom created later in his career. I submit that Tom could have made ANY system work and would have found and developed the players he needed because he was exceptionally good at it.

If you want the old ground game to return, that's fine. But you are assuming because Nebraska is small (closer to 1.8 mill) that they only way they can develop players is the old rushing attack. You are going to be caught in the fools game forever. If it were as si.ole as you say, mire coaches would do it. Who was the last coach to win a NC with that style of play?

It annoys me when people say programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, or Northwestern have great player development. They have good player development for the most part (well, except Northwestern), but it's the great programs which truly have great player development. And the player development at places like Alabama, Georgia, and Nebraska in the 90s was in a different league from these Big 10 West teams.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
You keep notes on what plays were called 2 years ago?
despite the slander & haters (there are many), I know football

frost introduced that play for mo wash his true frosh year (it worked). kept running it with mills.

You keep notes on what plays were called 2 years ago?
In the 80s, I charted every snap. Some of us just have a different way of seeing things. Doesn't make it better, just makes it different.

I also charted every pitch count for my hitters for 22 years.
It was a little difference that made the big difference.

Reactions: king_kong_
I'd classify you as more of a degenerate gambler. LOL
and, as you know, there are hundreds of thousands of hours of work put into degeneracy!

(having my best year & it's not even free-money-fading-the-B1G season yet!)

alot of youngsters on here need learn'ins,
It's good to be a developed playa

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
and, as you know, there are hundreds of thousands of hours of work put into degeneracy!

(having my best year & it's not even free-money-fading-the-B1G season yet!)
Tell me about it!! You make a lot of predictions and I think you do pretty well.

I only bet horses, but if I DID play college football, I would play what I call "cripples."

For example, last weekend:

Florida State was -7.5 on the road against Syracuse. FSU (prior to the game) was 4-0 ATS (now 5-0) on the road. FSU covered by 26 points.

Oregon State was 5-0 ATS (now 6-0) at home and beat Cal 38-10 and covered by 16 pts.

Both Temple and La Tech are 3-7 on the year. Yet, combined are 9-0 ATS at home.

Small winners like Houston and Kansas are both 6-4 on the year, yet, combined they are 10-0 on the O/U when on the road.

A winning team like Cincinnati (8-2) is 0-5 ATS on the road, and Princeton is (9-1) on the year, but 0-9 in the O/U's.

Combined they are 30-0.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: king_kong_

Players improved all throughout the program in the Osborne years from the day they stepped on campus. Not just offensive players. Players were also moved to where they would excel. Remember Tony Veland on the 1995 team? Came in as a QB but graduated as a safety that was drafted and played several years in the NFL. That was the norm. Guys just got better and better every year almost without fail.

Reactions: redwine65
Yants and Rahmir's productivity numbers are down this year in just about every metric.

Is this the fault of our OLine, (remember they sucked last year too) or is this drop off because of a change in the RB coach?

I'm inclined to think it is the latter.

Thought this fit in the player development thread.

Yants and Rahmir's productivity numbers are down this year in just about every metric.

Is this the fault of our OLine, (remember they sucked last year too) or is this drop off because of a change in the RB coach?

I'm inclined to think it is the latter.

Thought this fit in the player development thread.

OCs running game sucks.

It's just something to do between passes.

There were many factors for the lack of development but a few simple ones included:
  • no tackling in practice
  • not stopping practice when a player(s) made a mistake (BS excuse was we would address it in film)
  • not playing reserves even when the starter was stinking up the field (no fear of failure was turned around to no failure is too big)
  • last but not least we had high school talent for assistant coaches

Lack of identity on offense and defense has made development harder. Coaching changes and scheme changes require learning a new system. I guess we're pro style on offense now and a bend/try not to break defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT