ADVERTISEMENT

Player Attitude Adjustment On the Way

davecisar

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 9, 2010
Ive hesitated to call out the players because players are a reflection of the mission and approach of the coaching staff. Im sure we have lots of good kids in the program.

However- as a season ticket holder since 1970 who always takes my kids down to watch the players come in- Ive seen some things I dont like at all.

During losses- I see players laughing, smiling, joking around. At the OSU game when we walked by the sidelines to line up for the players running in at the half- one player is laughing- all smiles, joking around with another player. It wasnt a one off thing, same kid doing the very same thing when we walked past to our seats after halftime. I wont post his number but it PISSED me off. it was Like he was standing on a flag and insulting all those who had come before him and sacrificed, worked hard, played hard etc

Moos talked about having that 'sacred pride" of wearing the NU uniform with pride. That has definitely slipped. Hats off to Moos for even seeing it and making it a priority- he was visibly miffed by it.

Prior to the NU- OSU game- when our kids were running out of the tunnel- they looked like they were in the waiting room to get a root canal or colostomy. What I saw was fear and trepidation- to play a team an Iowa team- lesser talented than us Iowa- DIDNT fear and blew out. That is leadership void from coaching staff and players.

That is leadership and coaching reflected in the players.

Lack of pride, lack of competitiveness, lack of common purpose, lack of accountability
It's not all the kids- but what I saw would have never been acceptable in the 70s, 80s, 90s - or on any legitimate college football contender.Christian Peter or Grant Wistrom wouldnt have allowed it- nor would the coaches.

Kids who HATE to lose and are competitors- do not laugh and joke around in blowout losses. They arent afraid of competition. They arent showing up on Saturdays to wear a costume and "play act" football so they can say they are on the team or get girls. I expect we wont see any of that on a Scott Frost coached team.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate this, it drives me nuts. The culture in this place has been toxic for so many years. It isn't just about head coaches either.
The athletic department needs a total looksie from top to bottom. We have the new top. Now let's work our way down. I agree with both above posters.
And to agree with Dave's point, a lot of athletic department personnel meandering around on game day with zero propose

I absolutely hate this, it drives me nuts. The culture in this place has been toxic for so many years. It isn't just about head coaches either.
I think for the last 20 years or so. Basically since TO the higher ups treated football as rock foundation. Basically something that had been built and can now be left alone. They look at it as, well we are good we will always be good.
Football is constantly changing and evolving. Neb didn't adjust and change along with it. So we got left behind. I think we now have people in place that realize this and are willing to do and pay what it takes to get this program back on track. Like moos said everything is already here to make this program great again. Just needed the right people to dust it off and turn the machine back on.

Reactions: headcard
True. And, it needs to be done. You have 60 minutes of football to play. You either have what it takes to give it your all, or you don't. You either have what it takes to support your fellow players on the field, or you don't. If you don't, I have a feeling that this isn't going to be the place for you with the new staff.

I'd like to think that putting on the uniform meant something. What I saw last year had me questioning my thought. You get down a few points, you fight a little harder. You don't quit.

Some will say that it is due to the coaching. That may be true to an extent. But a player should be at least able to know when he has to turn on the juice to make up for bad coaching.

Life isn't a video game where you get to hit the reset button every time things don't go your way or you lose. At some point you need to be held accountable for your own actions or inactions. Hopefully the accountability starts now with both the new staff and the players.

If looking a certain way or making a certain face were the key to victory, the teams with those sweet Haka dances would always win in a blowout. When you're down by about 40, you might as well laugh because all the yelling in the world ain't gonna light up the scoreboard. It's not the yelling and screaming and painting your face that makes a win. It's the execution.

What will hopefully change and what needs to change is how they practice. This has looked for years like a team that isn't really hitting Monday - Friday. If anyone knows what nasty practices look like, it's the guy who had to run scout team opposite the Peter bros.

I pointed out many games ago on one of those great articles about the Duo run concept how half-assed the OL plays even on "successful" run plays. They make it to their guy and then they just kinda quit and occupy space. No finishing of blocks, no nasty out of them at all. That's a practice habit.

The defense not fitting violently in the run game, that's a practice habit. Sloppy tackling, that's a practice habit. No doubt some of it from injury/depth problems, they're scared to knock a starter out by the time October rolls around. Can't practice that way. Football is a violent game, you have to live it violently.

Last edited:
It's great to see the players respond positively and it's one thing to talk the talk, but it's a completely different thing to actually walk the walk. There will be some players on the team that aren't going to make it. The good part is, he's told everyone upfront what it's going to take, so there are no excuses, no confusion, and no one to blame but yourself if you wash out during spring ball.

It's great to see the players respond positively and it's one thing to talk the talk, but it's a completely different thing to actually walk the walk. There will be some players on the team that aren't going to make it. The good part is, he's told everyone upfront what it's going to take, so there are no excuses, no confusion, and no one to blame but yourself if you wash out during spring ball.

Culture change is a direct reflection of leadership. Frost is a natural born leader. He has lived it, he has excelled on the field, made it to the NFL, and now as a CFB HC. Credibility day 1.

I don't perceive this as someone being a "hard ass" and having to negatively reinforce a past behavior/culture. It's flipping a switch. Frost said himself it will be "fun" to work hard and instill a winning culture.

The only guys who will shake out are those that shouldn't be here in the first place, and this is a good thing.

Prior to the NU- OSU game- when our kids were running out of the tunnel- they looked like they were in the waiting room to get a root canal or colostomy.
Humm, I think my order of choice is a root canal would be the most attractive, then getting beat up by a confident and committed team on national TV for several hours, then the colostomy.

to be fair, I hear players say that the coaches told them, when they mess up to forget about it.
so, I guess that's why they laugh and stuff when we get blown out...lol

Don’t care about this past season now. Riley’s erea is over with and now starts Frosts erea. I love seeing Stan the Man Morgan, Tanner Lee, Pat OBrein, Barry, Lindsey and bunch of players are ready to get to work, and their excited to have Frost and buying into the coaches already. QB wise, looks like OBrein nor Lee are going ANYWHERE and looking forward to learning Frosts offense (and I’m guessing the same goes with Gebbia) What made my day was seeing Stan Morgan saying he’s excited in what he sees in Frosts passing game and looking forward to it...and shot down declaring early. Sounds like we may NOT get many transfers. Sounds like most are excited and fired up. So big things ahead and I’m ready. Past is the past....new erea starts NOW.

It would be great if Tanner Lee fit this offense because he is a great team guy, but his skill set is not a fit. Is it conceivable that he could develop the tools needed to operate a high octane spread O?

Another part of the equation is they've gotta get guys confident in what they're doing. No doubt Bo could yell and demand "intensity" with the best of em, but his defenses looked slow and sloppy with that paralysis-by-analysis.

Simple concepts you can execute the hell out of will beat a brilliant plan the players don't get 10 out of 10 times.

It would be great if Tanner Lee fit this offense because he is a great team guy, but his skill set is not a fit. Is it conceivable that he could develop the tools needed to operate a high octane spread O?
Wouldn't a good coach change to fit the players he has? Could have swore I have read that somewhere before.

Ive hesitated to call out the players because players are a reflection of the mission and approach of the coaching staff. Im sure we have lots of good kids in the program.

However- as a season ticket holder since 1970 who always takes my kids down to watch the players come in- Ive seen some things I dont like at all.

During losses- I see players laughing, smiling, joking around. At the OSU game when we walked by the sidelines to line up for the players running in at the half- one player is laughing- all smiles, joking around with another player. It wasnt a one off thing, same kid doing the very same thing when we walked past to our seats after halftime. I wont post his number but it PISSED me off. it was Like he was standing on a flag and insulting all those who had come before him and sacrificed, worked hard, played hard etc

Moos talked about having that 'sacred pride" of wearing the NU uniform with pride. That has definitely slipped. Hats off to Moos for even seeing it and making it a priority- he was visibly miffed by it.

Prior to the NU- OSU game- when our kids were running out of the tunnel- they looked like they were in the waiting room to get a root canal or colostomy. What I saw was fear and trepidation- to play a team an Iowa team- lesser talented than us Iowa- DIDNT fear and blew out. That is leadership void from coaching staff and players.

That is leadership and coaching reflected in the players.

Lack of pride, lack of competitiveness, lack of common purpose, lack of accountability
It's not all the kids- but what I saw would have never been acceptable in the 70s, 80s, 90s - or on any legitimate college football contender.Christian Peter or Grant Wistrom wouldnt have allowed it- nor would the coaches.

Kids who HATE to lose and are competitors- do not laugh and joke around in blowout losses. They arent afraid of competition. They arent showing up on Saturdays to wear a costume and "play act" football so they can say they are on the team or get girls. I expect we wont see any of that on a Scott Frost coached team.
Don’t worry the Frost will Freeze our the bad apples and only the true huskers will survive

THE FROST IS HERE

A friend sent me a link to the entire 1997 NU- Missouri game and I actually watched a lot of it. Wow! What a difference 20 years makes. The things that jumped out at me is how physical on both sides of the ball we were. Our defensive lineman looked bigger, stronger, and nastier. Actually every position looked like they were looking across the line and basically out to prove they were tougher than the guy matched up with. There always seemed to be 6 D lineman in the picture vs. Diaco’s D where it looks like a few are missing or taking a water break. ( Yes, I understand offenses have evolved too.) And tackling? Holy cow, we actually knew how to tackle!! And not only tackle but hit somebody in the process. Let the transition begin.

A friend sent me a link to the entire 1997 NU- Missouri game and I actually watched a lot of it. Wow! What a difference 20 years makes. The things that jumped out at me is how physical on both sides of the ball we were. Our defensive lineman looked bigger, stronger, and nastier. Actually every position looked like they were looking across the line and basically out to prove they were tougher than the guy matched up with. There always seemed to be 6 D lineman in the picture vs. Diaco’s D where it looks like a few are missing or taking a water break. ( Yes, I understand offenses have evolved too.) And tackling? Holy cow, we actually knew how to tackle!! And not only tackle but hit somebody in the process. Let the transition begin.
The 97 Washington-Nebraska game was posted on here yesterday. That is a fun one. Peter and Wistrom ate their OL up and Frost ran wild. Those were the days!

Being an old SOF type, I've often wondered how Damian Jackson felt during the season watching some of these guys only make half an effort or just plain quit being competitive during the game. Goes against everything in the SOF community.

The 97 Washington-Nebraska game was posted on here yesterday. That is a fun one. Peter and Wistrom ate their OL up and Frost ran wild. Those were the days!
I took my dad to that game
Looking out over Lake Washington- LOTS of leg room, overhang for shade and backs on every seat. Frost ran wild- a lot of it had to do with a new play that NU had never run until then, TO was a genius with little twists

A cross buck- Follow

Washington I think was favored. NU was just so physical- ESPECIALLY Frost. IMO - Ive been to most games since 1970- Our most physical QB

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
Interesting thing about that game is it shows a number of spread-like formations with QB runs. Especially NU's 2nd TD.

Reactions: davecisar
Wouldn't a good coach change to fit the players he has? Could have swore I have read that somewhere before.

Maybe a different player fits better? Something abt 85% called for during the season. Ie putting in POB...

Last edited:

Maybe it's the attitude kids have these days? dunno.....participation trophy attitude.......

but yea, it pisses me off. I hate losing and if i'm getting my ass kicked on the field, I'm pissed. not having a good time.

during the Ohio State game, I was so pissed during the tunnel walk when they walked out, showing no emotion....I remember even during Solich's average years, you had the batshit crazy defender just going nuts coming out of the tunnel...there's been none of that lately

Club Riley is over...I don't think Frost just told the team to enjoy Xmas break...I think he let them know Club Riley was done
The attitude problems began with Solich. There was no accountability. Callahan tried to clean up the lack of discipline. Then the players had a coach in Pelini who had no personal discipline. Finally there was Riley who seemed to have no fire whatsoever. It's been a long slow slide to where we are now.

during the Ohio State game, I was so pissed during the tunnel walk when they walked out, showing no emotion....I remember even during Solich's average years, you had the batshit crazy defender just going nuts coming out of the tunnel...there's been none of that lately

I've been saying the same thing for years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT