ADVERTISEMENT

player Allen says coach Lubick is now learning the Terminology of the Playbook

giphy.gif

It's easy to interpret Allen's quote negatively, but Indiana's Micah McFadden said that Charlton Warren was doing a great job in regard to coming in and "getting used to our scheme," so statements like this aren't uncommon regarding newer coordinators that take a position with a head coach that has a huge influence on that side of the ball.

About 22:30:

It's easy to interpret Allen's quote negatively, but Indiana's Micah McFadden said that Charlton Warren was doing a great job in regard to coming in and "getting used to our scheme," so statements like this aren't uncommon regarding newer coordinators that take a position with a head coach that has a huge influence on that side of the ball.

Charlton Warren has been there for like 3 months. Lubick has been at Nebraska for 1and 1/2 years.

indiana's coach is a big time creep

And I thought Bo was bad using the buddy system to hire coaches. This is just sad. How do you get a Power 5 OC job and it takes you over a year to learn the playbook? Your buddy throws you a bone.

We can easily win our 4 or 5 games without a perfect knowledge of the playbook. Based on all of the penalties and miscues the past couple years, I am not sure we should be surprised.

Lately I have been more and more critical of this staff, but I had no problem with either Allen saying that or the fact it took Lubick a while to get up to speed. Almost ANY new job takes a while to get up to speed and get rolling. If there is anything to be critical of here, it might be why is the playbook so complicated? If it takes a guy who has been in offensive football for years a long time to understand the playbook and concepts, how the hell are college kids supposed to? Maybe that is why it always looks like a fire drill out there and why players are thinking so much they false start and are out of position and hold.

And I thought Bo was bad using the buddy system to hire coaches. This is just sad. How do you get a Power 5 OC job and it takes you over a year to learn the playbook? Your buddy throws you a bone.
When the Big12 and Pac12 implode and leftovers budgets cut, the top coaches and assistants will be in demand. You can bet some BIG and SEC schools that place a high priority on winning will be making some coaching changes. Gary Patterson, Matt Cambell, ect. will be in demand along with some outstanding coordinators and assistants.

Reactions: huntered
When the Big12 and Pac12 implode and leftovers budgets cut, the top coaches and assistants will be in demand. You can bet some BIG and SEC schools that place a high priority on winning will be making some coaching changes. Gary Patterson, Matt Cambell, ect. will be in demand along with some outstanding coordinators and assistants.
I was at an ISU and OK State game the year Riley was let go. 24 Husker fans had come to Jack Trice to "evaluate" Campbell as a future Nebraska coach. The review was that his defense was not to Nebraska standards and his offense couldn't play in the BIG. I asked a show of hands as to those who would be opposed to Nebraska hiring Campbell. Twenty hands were raised. I can't trust the knowledge of some Husker fans. PS Im a Husker though and through but live in Des Moines and do go to games in Ames because it's close and friends have tickets.

Gary Patterson is vastly overrated.
For a cry baby like you who is constantly bemoaning poor defensive play regardless of improvement, I cannot imagine your meltdowns during one of TCUs shootout losses.

This does not mean Frost hasn't sucked.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I was at an ISU and OK State game the year Riley was let go. 24 Husker fans had come to Jack Trice to "evaluate" Campbell as a future Nebraska coach. The review was that his defense was not to Nebraska standards and his offense couldn't play in the BIG. I asked a show of hands as to those who would be opposed to Nebraska hiring Campbell. Twenty hands were raised. I can't trust the knowledge of some Husker fans. PS Im a Husker though and through but live in Des Moines and do go to games in Ames because it's close and friends have tickets.
That is funny. I assume they were in an unofficial capacity and there was a lot of Busch light involved? Probably members of the same group that draw up plays on beer coasters at the bar and send them into the coach. This s*** is gold!

Reactions: huntered
“It took awhile for Lubick to get all the terminology back,” Allen said. “Most everybody has the same concepts, but getting the terminology the same was a big step for Lubick, and he’s starting to intertwine what he did at Washington with what he did at Oregon. And it’s for the better.”

Lately I have been more and more critical of this staff, but I had no problem with either Allen saying that or the fact it took Lubick a while to get up to speed. Almost ANY new job takes a while to get up to speed and get rolling. If there is anything to be critical of here, it might be why is the playbook so complicated? If it takes a guy who has been in offensive football for years a long time to understand the playbook and concepts, how the hell are college kids supposed to? Maybe that is why it always looks like a fire drill out there and why players are thinking so much they false start and are out of position and hold.
He said he knew the concepts (most important aspect) and had to catch up on verbiage. This is typical. Plenty to bitch about but I don’t think this is the one IMO.

Gary Patterson is vastly overrated.
For a cry baby like you who is constantly bemoaning poor defensive play regardless of improvement, I cannot imagine your meltdowns during one of TCUs shootout losses.

This does not mean Frost hasn't sucked.
What am I crying about Block Head?

Bottom line is, you keep that information to yourself so as to not look incompetent.
Fans can perceive Matt Lubick however they want to, but he's been hired by some great coaches.

In fact, every Power 5 head coach he's coached or coordinated a game with has also led a team to a National Championship game or undefeated season as a Head Coach with the exception of David Cutcliffe who accomplished that feat as an Offensive Coordinator.

That aside, if the 2021 Nebraska football team was instead an echo chamber full of atta boys I'd be more concerned than with someone saying things can operate a little smoother than they did during a 3-5 season. I guess where we probably differ is that I don't view this as insubordination or blasting your coach, I view this as a sign of trust that one of the probable Captains of the team has seen things noticeably improve to the point that he feels comfortable enough to mention it. To each their own, I suppose.

I don't know if most of you have seen playbooks but even a lot of HS ones are insane. And it is not easy to learn because most of the time the verbage is not yours.

About the only thing universal is numbers and gaps but "Bald Tulsa Bandit Right" can is not universal.

I only coach defense and I can tell you that 4 years on the same staff with the same guys and the same playbook, I can't tell you one offensive term means.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't know if most of you have seen playbooks but even a lot of HS ones are insane. And it is not easy to learn because most of the time the verbage is not yours.
Verbiage is the hang up? High school students are able to learn and apply advanced algebra concepts over the course of one semester. You can learn and be conversant in a foreign language in under a year. But football verbiage is difficult. Give me a fukn break.

Your doomsday meltdowns are well known on this board. I'm just saying they'd be the same with Patterson.
Are my doomsday meltdowns really overblown? My g_d , look around Helen, we are on the threshold of hell, how can it possibly get any worse?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT