ADVERTISEMENT

Plan is to have students back for fall sememter....per NU President

So....are you saying that we DON'T have health care professionals going through those things?

Just wondering....because my script isn't Rachel Maddow....it's actual family members of mine that are in that line of work...but, I know...I should believe you over them...'cuz football and all.
The virus isn't going away, healthcare workers, like the military know the dangers.
So too, anyone choosing to go to a football game. Their choice to do their jobs or live their lives, no yelling by you will change this

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yes, actually, we all know. Are you purposefully acting stupid? There is no guarantee with this, not even your guarantee of the “excitement,” but we have a very good read on those who are at a higher risk of having a potentially serious reaction to this.

Of course I’m taking the healthcare workers into consideration. You seem to think that everyone who gets this is going to spend a few days in the hospital. That isn’t the case at all, and this is the healthcare workers job. Keep those who are most at risk isolated, and let everyone else who is not high risk, while keeping distance, wearing masks, etc. keep things going.

How is that unintelligent?
It isn't the health care workers jobs to put themselves at risk for infectious diseases just so you don't have to be inconvenienced any longer...or not miss out of a sporting event.

Yes...I get that not everyone that gets C19 ends up in the hospital. However, the more people that are infected at a given time, the more hospitalizations there are going to be. Don't you get this...or are you purposely acting stupid? How many C19 patients do you think the hospital in Cambridge can handle if needed....1 or 2?

Reactions: jeans15
So....are you saying that we DON'T have health care professionals going through those things?

Just wondering....because my script isn't Rachel Maddow....it's actual family members of mine that are in that line of work...but, I know...I should believe you over them...'cuz football and all.
And I should believe you 'cuz anecdote and all.

This is a trying time for everyone. My brother is a nurse. My sister is a nurse. My oldest niece is a nurse. My father-in-law is a MD. My brother-in-law is in year 3 of med school. Believe whatever you choose, but understand that your priorities and fears don't supercede anyone else's. I feel like you need to hear this: You are NOT special. Your situation is NOT unique.

Any other questions?

It would seem, every person that would go is their choice, no yelling by you will change this
Except that the people that those folks could infect didn't make that choice.

I'm all for people making their own choices, until those choice impact other people. In other words....feel free to go jump off a cliff if you want...but I draw the line at you trying to take someone with you that doesn't want to go.

I'm all for people making their own choices, until those choice impact other people. In other words....feel free to go jump off a cliff if you want...but I draw the line at you trying to take someone with you that doesn't want to go.
Yes they did make it their choice. They too know it's not going away, they can't let their guard down, right?
So, if they screw up and get it, it's on them, period.
School needs to open, activities needs to resume, people need to be on guard, it's not going away

And I should believe you 'cuz anecdote and all.

This is a trying time for everyone. My brother is a nurse. My sister is a nurse. My oldest niece is a nurse. My father-in-law is a MD. My brother-in-law is in year 3 of med school. Believe whatever you choose, but understand that your priorities and fears don't supercede anyone else's. I feel like you need to hear this: You are NOT special. Your situation is NOT unique.

Any other questions?
I've never claimed that I was special or unique. There are millions of people like me....and people like you seem to think we should just be cannon fodder. That's my point.

When did the pro leagues cancel or postpone their seasons? It was when a player tested positive for C19. Do you honestly think that 1) football players won't get infected, and 2) if they do, that it isn't really a big deal, since they're young and supposedly healthy? Are you for quarantining them during the season right off the bat? Healthy human beings aren't supposed to weigh 320 lbs. Do you seriously believe that there aren't football players that would require hospitalization, or die, from this virus.....hospitalizations and deaths that didn't need to happen?

I'm all for re-opening things....in a responsible, least risky manner, and prioritizes in the correct manner. Sporting events....even with reduced or no crowds, are a pretty low priority in my book.

Can I be clearer?

It isn't the health care workers jobs to put themselves at risk for infectious diseases just so you don't have to be inconvenienced any longer...or not miss out of a sporting event.

Yes...I get that not everyone that gets C19 ends up in the hospital. However, the more people that are infected at a given time, the more hospitalizations there are going to be. Don't you get this...or are you purposely acting stupid? How many C19 patients do you think the hospital in Cambridge can handle if needed....1 or 2?

ugh. It is their job to help those who need it. It happens every single day. Inconvenienced? Yeah, that's it, and that's what keeping everyone at home is doing, it's just "inconveniencing" them. You really need to join reality and get a grip. And boy oh boy are you hung up on this sporting event straw man . . . kinda seems like it's your only out.

You know, I didn't think of that, the more that people leave their house, the more likely someone could get this and the chances DO go up that there could be a hospitalization. That is really smart of you!! Now that I think about it, the more people leave their house and drive a car, the more likely there is to be an accident and the more likely there is going to be a hospitalization. We can avoid car accidents and deaths altogether if we just stayed home! Brilliant!!! That is great rationale. You're really onto something here.

It is apparent that you are super scared and don't want to do anything that will in any way increase the chance of harm to you or your spouse or anyone else. Nobody on the planet wants that to happen. People can choose to live in fear and watch society crumble, maybe that's what they want, but I don't think that's the way that most people want to live their lives. Every single day people take chances and put themselves at risk. We know a good deal about the risks of this thing, and those who are most at risk should isolate, and those who don't seem to be at a high risk should have the option to live their lives, period.

I've never claimed that I was special or unique. There are millions of people like me....and people like you seem to think we should just be cannon fodder. That's my point.

When did the pro leagues cancel or postpone their seasons? It was when a player tested positive for C19. Do you honestly think that 1) football players won't get infected, and 2) if they do, that it isn't really a big deal, since they're young and supposedly healthy? Are you for quarantining them during the season right off the bat? Healthy human beings aren't supposed to weigh 320 lbs. Do you seriously believe that there aren't football players that would require hospitalization, or die, from this virus.....hospitalizations and deaths that didn't need to happen?

I'm all for re-opening things....in a responsible, least risky manner, and prioritizes in the correct manner. Sporting events....even with reduced or no crowds, are a pretty low priority in my book.

Can I be clearer?
It's mighty bold of you to assume my stance in all of this. I chose to knock you off your soapbox because you're obnoxious with your posting habits, not because I'm recommending anything.

Doesn't "intent" play a key role here? Otherwise, you shouldn't be doing anything that increases the risk to anyone else, and you do things, probably on a daily basis, that could cause harm to someone else.

How many rooms do they have? There's other regional hospitals they would probably wind up at. Nothing against small rural hospitals, but IF it's anywhere close to serious no matter what the ailment, probably going to wind up in Kearney, Lincoln or Omaha.

Speaking for myself, unmc is where I where I would lobby my doctor to send me

Like I said, we're working on it.

The problem with opening things up like normal is that you're risking the health of millions of people at this point.....and, in this instance for something as superficial as a college football game. I don't care what risks you want to take when they only impact you. When you can potentially infect others without knowing it...that's the issue...whether that person is me or someone in your family. You gonna isolate yourself from your family in the name of attending football games?

And...take me out of it. We have health care workers and first responders that get sick and die from this. We have others that either don't go home, or they live in their garages in order to not risk infecting their spouses or children. Seems pretty selfish to me to subject these people to any more of this than we have to just so you can go to a f___ing football game. The doctors seem pretty sure that a second wave will hit, and it will likely be worse than this one. Is a football game worth putting our health care professionals though this again?

You don't understand the economic impact of universities and college football programs.

The University of Nebraska has an annual economic impact of $4.5 billion. The Athletic Department has a $245 million economic impact.

https://nebraska.edu/economic-impact
https://huskers.com/news/2014/11/24/209781186

But sure, let's shut down the economy and all stay in hiding because 50 people in the state have died, mostly in nursing homes.

You don't understand the economic impact of universities and college football programs.

The University of Nebraska has an annual economic impact of $4.5 billion. The Athletic Department has a $245 million economic impact.

But sure, let's shut down the economy and all stay in hiding because 50 people in the state have died, mostly in nursing homes.
AND, maybe Nebraska Reality can find out from his family members if this is true or not, but I've been told by two parties that have close ties to the medical profession that if ANYONE dies from fluelike symptoms they are instructed to classify it as Corona virus.

Reactions: bluenrg
AND, maybe Nebraska Reality can find out from his family members if this is true or not, but I've been told by two parties that have close ties to the medical profession that if ANYONE dies from fluelike symptoms they are instructed to classify it as Corona virus.
A lady from Nebraska tragically died of heart attack this week en route to hospital via ambulance.
Was tested after and was positive for coronavirus.
Death was listed as coronavirus.

Also, maybe he should ask his friends in the medical community what's happening to the budgets and staff of these hospitals. Also ask them what effect coronavirus is having on preventative care.

You must have missed it where I stated that I was all for re-opening in a responsible manner., and you seem to take issue.

I am well aware of what athletics do economically for colleges and cities.

Should I take your reply to mean that you're all for a re-opening all at once, consequences be damned?

Last edited:
You must have missed it where I stated that I was all for re-opening in a responsible manner., and you seem to take issue.

Should I take your reply to mean that you're all for a re-opening all at once, consequences be damned?
we know, everyone in favor of having fans at college football games is exactly the same as a mass-murderer.

we are all very lucky we haven't been thrown into a volcano in hopes next year's harvest will improve.

Reactions: bluenrg
A lady from Nebraska tragically died of heart attack this week en route to hospital via ambulance.
Was tested after and was positive for coronavirus.
Death was listed as coronavirus.

Also, maybe he should ask his friends in the medical community what's happening to the budgets and staff of these hospitals. Also ask them what effect coronavirus is having on preventative care.
1) Here's the CDC's recommendation on classifying C19 deaths. What the State of Nebraska (or others, for that matter) does is what they do. I am sure, however, that you have no idea what is on anyone's death certificate.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-1-Guidance-for-Certifying-COVID-19-Deaths.pdf

2) The FAMILY members in the profession advise to not take risks that you don't have to...and they most definitely think that packing 90,000 into a stadium is a risk that doesn't need to be taken at this time.

How many rooms do they have? There's other regional hospitals they would probably wind up at. Nothing against small rural hospitals, but IF it's anywhere close to serious no matter what the ailment, probably going to wind up in Kearney, Lincoln or Omaha.

Speaking for myself, unmc is where I where I would lobby my doctor to send me
That's all fine and dandy...unless those are filled up.

1) Here's the CDC's recommendation on classifying C19 deaths. What the State of Nebraska (or others, for that matter) does is what they do. I am sure, however, that you have no idea what is on anyone's death certificate.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-1-Guidance-for-Certifying-COVID-19-Deaths.pdf

2) The FAMILY members in the profession advise to not take risks that you don't have to...and they most definitely think that packing 90,000 into a stadium is a risk that doesn't need to be taken at this time.
You have your head firmly in the sand regarding deaths, and obviously on purpose. New York is doing this and its really no secret.

I also have FAMILY members and that isnt the question I asked you. Also, was there a game scheduled for “AT THIS TIME”?
Your moving of goal posts pretty much proves you dont have a sound argument here.
I get it, youre scared and concerned and nothing is wrong with that. It is scary.

Lets just wait before deciding to ruin the economy before may, shall we?

Is it just me or do people not understand that we have 4 full months before football season? Good grief

My source inside the athletic department just told me that when the decision is made to start playing football again, that attendance is not mandatory.... if your still a little nervous about the Kung Flu. I'm just telling ya what I heard, don't shoot the messenger.

Reactions: leodisflowers
My source inside the athletic department just told me that when the decision is made to start playing football again, that attendance is not mandatory.... if your still a little nervous about the Kung Flu. I'm just telling ya what I heard, don't shoot the messenger.
I'm sure it's not mandatory......

The problem people are ignoring is that while attending a packed stadium is a personal risk, those people later come into contact with other people that didn't make that decision.

As I have said 100 times (not literally, just seems like it), you're free to risk your own health. You're not free to risk someone else's...so unless you're going to drive straight to a location and isolate yourself for 2 weeks after attending a game, that's exactly what you're doing.

You have your head firmly in the sand regarding deaths, and obviously on purpose. New York is doing this and its really no secret.

I also have FAMILY members and that isnt the question I asked you. Also, was there a game scheduled for “AT THIS TIME”?
Your moving of goal posts pretty much proves you dont have a sound argument here.
I get it, youre scared and concerned and nothing is wrong with that. It is scary.

Lets just wait before deciding to ruin the economy before may, shall we?
Do you have evidence that NY is doing this (and, even if so, that's NY, not Nebraska), and to what degree?

I mention Nebraska because someone on here made that accusation that such a practice is going on here as well.

I'm sure it's not mandatory......

The problem people are ignoring is that while attending a packed stadium is a personal risk, those people later come into contact with other people that didn't make that decision.

As I have said 100 times (not literally, just seems like it), you're free to risk your own health. You're not free to risk someone else's...so unless you're going to drive straight to a location and isolate yourself for 2 weeks after attending a game, that's exactly what you're doing.
nobody's ignoring this, and you've literally said the same thing 1,000 times.

you're also free to self-isolate until you feel safe, so you don't risk coming into contact with someone who's living their life.

nobody's ignoring this, and you've literally said the same thing 1,000 times.

you're also free to self-isolate until you feel safe, so you don't risk coming into contact with someone who's living their life.
It's not just me.....if it were, that's what I'd do.

Millions of people have high blood pressure, asthma, etc. We have to buy food. We have to get gas in our vehicles, etc....and, as I have also stated, I don't hide out in my house. I exercise. I walk the dog. I work at my office even though I can stay home. I've even gone fishing....so don't assume I'm just some dude afraid of my shadow.

Again....as I've stated 1,000 times....I am all for re-opening things...in a responsible and safe (as possible) manner. Sporting events should be a low priority (I am taking the safety of the athletes into consideration on this just as much as anything). I'm not telling everyone or anyone to stay home. All I'm saying is that NONE of us have the right to risk the health of others.

If you're tired of me saying the same thing, then maybe quit replying the same way.

It's not just me.....if it were, that's what I'd do.

Millions of people have high blood pressure, asthma, etc. We have to buy food. We have to get gas in our vehicles, etc....and, as I have also stated, I don't hide out in my house. I exercise. I walk the dog. I work at my office even though I can stay home. I've even gone fishing....so don't assume I'm just some dude afraid of my shadow.

Again....as I've stated 1,000 times....I am all for re-opening things...in a responsible and safe (as possible) manner. Sporting events should be a low priority (I am taking the safety of the athletes into consideration on this just as much as anything). I'm not telling everyone or anyone to stay home. All I'm saying is that NONE of us have the right to risk the health of others.

If you're tired of me saying the same thing, then maybe quit replying the same way.
stay home, man. I can't believe you're admitting to killing people by going out. what if you've been infected and had no symptoms?!?! you're willingly going to your office?!? dude, wtf?!

do as I say not as I do to the max.

Reactions: jeans15
Take your asses to the game.

And get your family killed.

Touchdown Nebraska.. lol

For comparison sake, here's what I (and my colleagues) received from President Bruce Harreld here at the University of Iowa:

Key phrase: we ARE planning to resume face-to-face instruction this fall.

A message from President Harreld and Provost Fuentes
Part of the reason we ask our students to study history is so they can better contextualize the present. Three months ago, we could not have imagined the situation we find ourselves in. Similarly, in April 2008, we couldn’t have imagined that just two months later our campus would literally be underwater. Many of us were here for that devastating flood, and many were not. But all have taken to heart the lessons the Hawkeye community learned.

The remarkable leadership of President Emerita Sally Mason, former Senior VP for Finance and Operations Doug True, former Provost Wallace Loh, our experts within what is now the Iowa Flood Center, and many others, guided the University of Iowa forward in 2008. They led with patience, grace, steadfastness, and humor, and had an unwavering vision of a campus brought back to life. Combining vision and expertise is what our university is all about, after all.

Now COVID-19 is our challenge, our chapter to write.

Most of us have read the news about colleges and universities deciding to stay virtual through the upcoming fall semester. And like each of you, UI leadership is trying to figure out exactly when it will be safe and appropriate to return to “normal.” Though the future is not set in stone—and we continue to monitor the latest guidance and information about this pandemic—we ARE planning to resume face-to-face instruction this fall.

The situation is, of course, extremely fluid, and the specific steps we will need to implement have yet to be determined. Therefore, we have assembled a team led by the Office of the Provost and embedded within the UI’s Critical Incident Management Team (CIMT). These dedicated individuals, representing every corner of campus, will be working diligently and continuously to outline a plan that will bring us back in August.

The team will follow guidance from UI medical and public health experts, the Iowa Department of Public Health; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; and the Board of Regents, State of Iowa. Advice from these organizations, and its implementation by the CIMT, has already allowed us to respond to COVID-19 with rapid and deliberate action. Within 15 days, the UI canceled study abroad programs, repatriated students, moved to virtual instruction, shifted to work-from-home status, and began the process of closing the residence hall system. We are confident that this same team will now provide us with the steps necessary to safely reopen.

The past few weeks have been full of twists and turns, and reopening our campus will likewise bring surprising unknowns. So, we have asked this team to explore various options, keeping our response to unforeseen events flexible while putting our community’s safety at the fore. We must anticipate what we can, but prepare ourselves to react to what we cannot.

As a community, we have already come together to develop a thoughtful strategic plan; created a transparent resource allocation and budgeting process; driven new investments into the core activities of the university; and built a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion that guides our behaviors in support of our mission. Together, we will see our campus safely brought to life again.

In an otherwise dark hour, one thing is quite clear: Hawkeyes take care of one another.

Thank you for all you are doing to help us through these very trying times.

Now, let’s look to the future. We will come out of this crisis stronger than we were before.

Bruce Harreld, UI president

Montserrat Fuentes, UI executive vice president and provost

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
50000 people died in 2 months not in a year.

Opening the econony to early will kill it in the future.

Until their is a cure or treatment. Get over it.

ugh. It is their job to help those who need it. It happens every single day. Inconvenienced? Yeah, that's it, and that's what keeping everyone at home is doing, it's just "inconveniencing" them. You really need to join reality and get a grip. And boy oh boy are you hung up on this sporting event straw man . . . kinda seems like it's your only out.

You know, I didn't think of that, the more that people leave their house, the more likely someone could get this and the chances DO go up that there could be a hospitalization. That is really smart of you!! Now that I think about it, the more people leave their house and drive a car, the more likely there is to be an accident and the more likely there is going to be a hospitalization. We can avoid car accidents and deaths altogether if we just stayed home! Brilliant!!! That is great rationale. You're really onto something here.

It is apparent that you are super scared and don't want to do anything that will in any way increase the chance of harm to you or your spouse or anyone else. Nobody on the planet wants that to happen. People can choose to live in fear and watch society crumble, maybe that's what they want, but I don't think that's the way that most people want to live their lives. Every single day people take chances and put themselves at risk. We know a good deal about the risks of this thing, and those who are most at risk should isolate, and those who don't seem to be at a high risk should have the option to live their lives, period.
Car accidents aren't a contagious disease. We also have laws, as well as safety features, to lessen the risk of accidents and fatalities.

What are we going to do to lessen the risk of the players contracting the virus? There are players that have asthma and high blood pressure (can be largely genetic). I don't care what kind of playing shape someone is in...a 6-4, 320 lb. guy isn't in as great of cardiovascular shape as the 6-4, 190 lb. guy is that does all the same exercising. There will be players that die if they contract this virus. Maybe not many, but it will happen.

And no...I am quite certain that doctors and nurses didn't decide to do those occupations just so people can expose (over months at a time) them to a nasty virus in the name of freedom and the economy.

As far as isolating.....are you going to isolate yourself from your family after going to a football game (or whatever....concert if you prefer)? How would you feel if you brought the virus home to your wife or child after attending an event they did not, and they got sick (or worse...due to some underlying condition none of you knew about)?

And as I've said a thousand times (if you choose to actually pay attention, instead of lowering me to the lowest denominator), I have zero desire to see society crumble. Lots of gray area between wanting to see society crumble and thinking events with large crowds are a necessary part of life at this time.

Car accidents aren't a contagious disease. We also have laws, as well as safety features, to lessen the risk of accidents and fatalities.

What are we going to do to lessen the risk of the players contracting the virus? There are players that have asthma and high blood pressure (can be largely genetic). I don't care what kind of playing shape someone is in...a 6-4, 320 lb. guy isn't in as great of cardiovascular shape as the 6-4, 190 lb. guy is that does all the same exercising. There will be players that die if they contract this virus. Maybe not many, but it will happen.

And no...I am quite certain that doctors and nurses didn't decide to do those occupations just so people can expose (over months at a time) them to a nasty virus in the name of freedom and the economy.

As far as isolating.....are you going to isolate yourself from your family after going to a football game (or whatever....concert if you prefer)? How would you feel if you brought the virus home to your wife or child after attending an event they did not, and they got sick (or worse...due to some underlying condition none of you knew about)?

And as I've said a thousand times (if you choose to actually pay attention, instead of lowering me to the lowest denominator), I have zero desire to see society crumble. Lots of gray area between wanting to see society crumble and thinking events with large crowds are a necessary part of life at this time.

My lord in heaven, trying to have a conversation with you that stays on point is an impossibility. Every single day must be a struggle for you.

Reactions: scarletred
My lord in heaven, trying to have a conversation with you that stays on point is an impossibility. Every single day must be a struggle for you.
What was so hard to understand?

Maybe it is you that has the problem.

Sorry if I ask you questions or bring up things you don't want to address...but, again, not my fault or problem.

It’s been this way ever since he started posting on this board..

Gets old doesn’t it..

Needs to change his name to No Reality.
I'm still in your head rent-free, I see.....

Your first comment on this thread...and it's to bash me.

As funny as this is, you really should seek some help.

Toodles, pumpkin!

ADVERTISEMENT