ADVERTISEMENT

Plan is to have students back for fall sememter....per NU President

1NebrFan

Walk On
Dec 3, 2004
April 24, 2020

To the Students, Faculty and Staff of the University of Nebraska System:

It is difficult to believe that only six weeks ago we were beginning a monumental shift in the way we teach, learn and work. The speed with which the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved — and the resilience with which you have adapted in order to advance our vital mission — is, in a word, humbling.

As we focus on successful completion of the spring semester and a transition to remote summer learning, we, like all colleges and universities, must also look ahead. The Chancellors and I, along with our leadership teams, have been engaged in robust analysis and planning for what the next academic year will look like across our campuses.

Today I want to let you know that we will have plans in place to safely resume in-person teaching and learning in fall 2020.

In making this decision, we are guided by safety, science and our mission, balancing the enormous value of the on-campus educational experience with our responsibility to protect the health of every member of our community.

We are working closely with our health professionals at UNMC, who have developed a dashboard that provides real-time analysis on the presence of COVID-19 and availability of medical resources across the state. The expertise of our medical center and public health officials will aide our planning for safely and purposefully welcoming students, faculty and staff back into our residence halls, classrooms and offices.

Of course, no one has all the answers, particularly during an evolving crisis like COVID-19. We will always be informed by the science, and we will act decisively if we need to change course to protect our community. We continue to plan for a variety of scenarios for the fall, including a shift to remote learning and working if conditions necessitate.

But, even in the absence of a vaccine, waiting indefinitely to provide clarity about our plans for the year ahead would only create further uncertainty for the students we serve and the colleagues whose work is the heartbeat of this institution. We are especially mindful of our duty to provide a “whole person” education to our students. We want to be as clear as we can about our commitment to returning to the on-campus, in-person learning that brings such richness to the collegiate experience.

Our planning is ongoing now, and chancellors will provide campus-specific details as they develop. While we don’t yet know exactly how this will look, the good news is that we have several months for our talented and committed campus communities to chart the path forward.

And, we have our values: A world-class education for every student, research that changes lives, and service to our state and the world.

We will also rely, in part, on a rigorous planning checklist being developed by our UNMC experts, covering evidence-based protocols on cleaning, protective facewear, hygiene, facility use and more. This checklist will serve not only as a resource for the University of Nebraska, but, we hope, to colleges and universities around the country as they build their own plans for re-opening.

Candidly, no one expects us to be back to “business as usual” come August. Our classes will almost certainly look different, our work arrangements will be different, and while I remain optimistic, we can’t predict how and when concerts, collegiate sports or various extracurricular activities will resume.

Our opportunity now, I believe, is to anticipate — and lead — the “next normal” for American higher education. For the University of Nebraska, that means that while our mission to transform lives here and around the world is more important than ever, we will need to find new and creative ways to deliver.

From what I have seen from all of you, I know we will not only survive these unprecedented challenges, but emerge stronger on the other side. Nebraskans are problem-solvers, not problem-gazers. As the people of this great state have always done, we will rely on common sense and science-based logic to plan, adapt and succeed.

Thank you for all that you do for our University system.

Ted Carter
President, University of Nebraska

GREAT NEWS. Patiently waiting for people to go nuts about that. Let there be college athletics!!!
I think that pretty much every college president is operating under this premise.

It also said that there was no guarantee as to how or when events, including sports, would resume.

In other words, I wouldn't hold my breath for a full house on 9/5/20.

Last edited:
This virus affects almost nobody under age 25. It doesn't make sense to not have students back in the fall. If any professors are worried about their own safety, they can continue teaching their classes online.

As for sports, I still have my doubts they are going to let 90,000 people cram together in a stadium. Unless they only allow a certain number of fans and spread everyone out. Or require everyone to wear a mask and sign a liability form. The virus seems to spread most when people are close together for prolonged periods. And if these people are all shouting/cheering, they will spread the molecules.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Lmao..hes lying to yall.

No cure or treatment and you want people to go die...lol

Just to watch a football game...the university will be sued beyond belief and rightfully so.

This virus affects almost nobody under age 25. It doesn't make sense to not have students back in the fall. If any professors are worried about their own safety, they can continue teaching their classes online.

As for sports, I still have my doubts they are going to let 90,000 people cram together in a stadium. Unless they only allow a certain number of fans and spread everyone out. Or require everyone to wear a mask and sign a liability form. The virus seems to spread most when people are close together for prolonged periods. And if these people are all shouting/cheering, they will spread the molecules.
1) But who are those people that are under 25 and unaffected going to be around at times? My wife and I are hardly "one foot in the grave" people...but one of us has high blood pressure and carrying more weight than they should, and the other is diabetic. If my son goes back to school, and there's a slew of cases on his campus, he can't really be coming home without putting us at risk for getting very sick (or worse).

2) A liability form does nothing with regards to possibly over-stressing the state's hospitals from a new wave of patients that could come from attending football games.

I’ve seen some schools are starting to run through scenarios where they only sell 1/5 of available tickets...so be prepared for scenarios like that

1) But who are those people that are under 25 and unaffected going to be around at times? My wife and I are hardly "one foot in the grave" people...but one of us has high blood pressure and carrying more weight than they should, and the other is diabetic. If my son goes back to school, and there's a slew of cases on his campus, he can't really be coming home without putting us at risk for getting very sick (or worse).

2) A liability form does nothing with regards to possibly over-stressing the state's hospitals from a new wave of patients that could come from attending football games.
Have him stay at home and take online courses.

Reactions: GretnaShawn

He can take a test before he comes home. Or tell him not to come home. Hopefully this will inspire one of you to eat better and exercise

He can take a test before he comes home. Or tell him not to come home. Hopefully this will inspire one of you to eat better and exercise
1) We do exercise, you judgmental p***k. The type of diabetic my wife is has nothing to do with a chosen diet...again, you judgmental p***k. Most people over the age of 35 also have some kind of health issue. For all you know, you do to. There are people in the 40s and 50s in good health that are getting extremely ill from this....to the point of hospitalization....which brings us the point I made about stressing hospitals.

Also.....when I was in shape and a college athlete, I had high blood pressure then as well. I guess I should have chosen to have been born into a family where that wasn't present...right?

2) Maybe you missed it, but people that don't have symptoms don't get tested. Now, maybe that will change by August, but I'm not counting on that until it happens.

1) We do exercise, you judgmental p***k. The type of diabetic my wife is has nothing to do with a chosen diet...again, you judgmental p***k. Most people over the age of 35 also have some kind of health issue. For all you know, you do to. There are people in the 40s and 50s in good health that are getting extremely ill from this....to the point of hospitalization....which brings us the point I made about stressing hospitals.

2) Maybe you missed it, but people that don't have symptoms don't get tested. Now, maybe that will change by August, but I'm not counting on that until it happens.
Instead of just exercising, maybe you could try to lose some weight by improving your diet so that neither one of you is carrying too much weight.

If you don't want people to blast you for this type of stuff, leave it off the forum. Nobody asked for your story.

Last edited:

Also.....when I was in shape and a college athlete, I had high blood pressure then as well. I guess I should have chosen to have been born into a family where that wasn't present...right?

1) Eating better and exercising has to do with carrying the extra pounds. Sounds like you or her can eat better and exercise better. That would help you and / or her.
2) If you’re worried about being around a family member who may have it, yes, in a few months, going to be a very good chance they will have a chance to be tested.
3). Yup, those with health issues that put them in a high risk category for this should isolate themselves for the time being, and they need to adjust to it. Those who aren’t in a high risk group should be able to live and provide and be productive. I’m sorry that’s not you, but considerations can be given to you, while the rest of the world can work together to not have it crumble.
4). I have no ill will to fatties, so please don’t take it personally, just suggesting maybe you and / or your wife should reconsider your diet and exercise regimen.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Instead of just exercising, maybe you could try to lose some weight by improving your diet so that neither one of you is carrying too much weight.

If you don't want people to blast you for this type of stuff, leave it off the forum. Nobody asked for your story.
For one, my wife isn't carrying much weight.

Secondly.....risking the health of millions of people (not just me, in other words), isn't worth a college football season.

OK...here's another story....

As I have stated before, a second, worse wave is predicted. We have health care workers and first responders that are getting sick and dying. Others either stay at the hospital, or live in their garage so as not to potentially infect their spouses and children. This will be worse with a second wave.

Is a college football such a high priority as to put these people through this again? Are we going to quarantine the players the entire season? I'd bet good money that the same folks that complained about their rights being trampled on would be the first to support this if it meant the Huskers played on Saturdays.

BTW--A lot of people share stuff on here they weren't asked about, so save your criticism.

Last edited:
1) Eating better and exercising has to do with carrying the extra pounds. Sounds like you or her can eat better and exercise better. That would help you and / or her.
2) If you’re worried about being around a family member who may have it, yes, in a few months, going to be a very good chance they will have a chance to be tested.
3). Yup, those with health issues that put them in a high risk category for this should isolate themselves for the time being, and they need to adjust to it. Those who aren’t in a high risk group should be able to live and provide and be productive. I’m sorry that’s not you, but considerations can be given to you, while the rest of the world can work together to not have it crumble.
4). I have no ill will to fatties, so please don’t take it personally, just suggesting maybe you and / or your wife should reconsider your diet and exercise regimen.
Like I said, we're working on it.

The problem with opening things up like normal is that you're risking the health of millions of people at this point.....and, in this instance for something as superficial as a college football game. I don't care what risks you want to take when they only impact you. When you can potentially infect others without knowing it...that's the issue...whether that person is me or someone in your family. You gonna isolate yourself from your family in the name of attending football games?

And...take me out of it. We have health care workers and first responders that get sick and die from this. We have others that either don't go home, or they live in their garages in order to not risk infecting their spouses or children. Seems pretty selfish to me to subject these people to any more of this than we have to just so you can go to a f___ing football game. The doctors seem pretty sure that a second wave will hit, and it will likely be worse than this one. Is a football game worth putting our health care professionals though this again?

Like I said, we're working on it.

The problem with opening things up like normal is that you're risking the health of millions of people at this point.....and, in this instance for something as superficial as a college football game. I don't care what risks you want to take when they only impact you. When you can potentially infect others without knowing it...that's the issue...whether that person is me or someone in your family. You gonna isolate yourself from your family in the name of attending football games?

And...take me out of it. We have health care workers and first responders that get sick and die from this. We have others that either don't go home, or they live in their garages in order to not risk infecting their spouses or children. Seems pretty selfish to me to subject these people to any more of this than we have to just so you can go to a f___ing football game. The doctors seem pretty sure that a second wave will hit, and it will likely be worse than this one. Is a football game worth putting our health care professionals though this again?

Who said anything about a football game? Oh, you did. The OP wasn’t about football games. Keeping shit at a snails pace hurts EVERYONE, not just those most at risk. Selfish is asking the world to stop for the extremely low % of those who can be harmed by this. Those people take extra precautions.

Reactions: bluenrg
Who said anything about a football game? Oh, you did. The OP wasn’t about football games. Keeping shit at a snails pace hurts EVERYONE, not just those most at risk. Selfish is asking the world to stop for the extremely low % of those who can be harmed by this. Those people take extra precautions.
But you don't really know, now do you? This virus is hitting younger and healthier people by the day.

Also...lots of people have mentioned football on this thread besides me. I guarantee any excitement on here about the U of N system planning on opening up had more to do with the prospect football than anything else. The second post on the thread said "Let there be college athletics!"

And.....you're still not taking health care workers into consideration.

I'm all for opening things up....with intelligence and caution...and proper prioritizing.

I think his story is instructive. Nobody asked for your juvenile rant either you judgmental twit. The point he is making about students infecting others who have vulnerabilities is THE epidemiological issue. You really should educate yourself before hitting “post reply” next time.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
But you don't really know, now do you? This virus is hitting younger and healthier people by the day.

Also...lots of people have mentioned football on this thread besides me. I guarantee any excitement on here about the U of N system planning on opening up had more to do with the prospect football than anything else. The second post on the thread said "Let there be college athletics!"

And.....you're still not taking health care workers into consideration.

I'm all for opening things up....with intelligence and caution...and proper prioritizing.

Yes, actually, we all know. Are you purposefully acting stupid? There is no guarantee with this, not even your guarantee of the “excitement,” but we have a very good read on those who are at a higher risk of having a potentially serious reaction to this.

Of course I’m taking the healthcare workers into consideration. You seem to think that everyone who gets this is going to spend a few days in the hospital. That isn’t the case at all, and this is the healthcare workers job. Keep those who are most at risk isolated, and let everyone else who is not high risk, while keeping distance, wearing masks, etc. keep things going.

How is that unintelligent?

I think his story is instructive. Nobody asked for your juvenile rant either you judgmental twit. The point he is making about students infecting others who have vulnerabilities is THE epidemiological issue. You really should educate yourself before hitting “post reply” next time.

Extra precautions are already being taken to protect those most vulnerable. Beef those up, and let everyone else do their thing.

Extra precautions are already being taken to protect those most vulnerable. Beef those up, and let everyone else do their thing.
I don't disagree with this at all. But I was responding to the insulting bull crap directed at a fellow poster who merely pointed out that there are dangers involved and used himself as an example.

At some point we need to just have those in high risk groups self-isolate and take precautions in order for the rest of society to open up again. I was talking to my wife about this and we agree, that if this had happened when our daughter was in college, I would have just rented a hotel room for her to quarantine in for two weeks before coming home. That is an expensive pain in the ass, but it points out that there are things we can do short of shutting down the whole damn country.

And this from a 61 year old man who is, by definition, more at a risk than others. We can't keep the nation locked down much longer.

Reactions: bluenrg
And this from a 61 year old man who is, by definition, more at a risk than others. We can't keep the nation locked down much longer.

Here in Nebraska we are not even locked down. The measures put in place by Governor Ricketts aren't quite what Sweden has going on, but it isn't far from it. Limit gatherings to 10 instead of 50. Not allowing elementary kids to remain in school. Otherwise, it's pretty similar. A lot of businesses closed by choice rather than government order. Heck, we have malls still open .

So is it really news that our university system is planning at this time to bring students back in the fall? Not really. Informed people would never say that it's time to "open up" Nebraska because it was never closed to begin with. The university officials are totally in line with that as they should be.

Last edited:
Lincoln Riley just said on ESPN that he thinks the drop dead date for a season-or-no-season decision is early June. Sorry, but I just don't understand that statement. I'm not opining one way or the other on whether there will be a college football season. But if coaches push for an early June decision, I firmly believe the decision will be to cancel it.

Do feel more informed now? If this is your go-to site for instructions on anything except for Nebraska athletics you should strongly reevaluate, well, nearly everything in your life.

Lastly, if you think I value your opinion, you're wrong and if "twit" is your opener, I'm going to love your elementary-level closer - skip directly to it next time.

Last edited:

Secondly.....risking the health of millions of people (not just me, in other words), isn't worth a college football season.

As I have stated before, a second, worse wave is predicted. We have health care workers and first responders that are getting sick and dying. Others either stay at the hospital, or live in their garage so as not to potentially infect their spouses and children. This will be worse with a second wave.

Is a college football such a high priority as to put these people through this again? Are we going to quarantine the players the entire season? I'd bet good money that the same folks that complained about their rights being trampled on would be the first to support this if it meant the Huskers played on Saturdays.

BTW--A lot of people share stuff on here they weren't asked about, so save your criticism.
You type out these long doomsday scenario posts as if you're privileged to inside information when in reality it's basically a transcript from The Rachel Maddow Show.

I watch the news, too. I read what's put out, as well. I don't feel the need to regurgitate the information as if it's exclusive knowledge, however.

Reactions: scarletred
You type out these long doomsday scenario posts as if you're privileged to inside information when in reality it's basically a transcript from The Rachel Maddow Show.

I watch the news, too. I read what's put out, as well. I don't feel the need to regurgitate the information as if it's exclusive knowledge, however.
So....are you saying that we DON'T have health care professionals going through those things?

Just wondering....because my script isn't Rachel Maddow....it's actual family members of mine that are in that line of work...but, I know...I should believe you over them...'cuz football and all.

It would seem, every person that would go is their choice, no yelling by you will change this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT