ADVERTISEMENT

Plan B: If frost falls thru

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
1. why can't we get iowa states coach? he seems to have done a lot with a little.

2. who would you pick between leech and ark states coach?
I like leeches humor, and he seems like he would know how to use our current offensives skills.

3. would charlie strong be a good choice?
sure he didn't do great at texas, but you have to be more than a coach at texas you have to do a lot of other bs. plus if we ever had to have a black coach he seems like a decent guy (gill and brown also is but I don't see that right now)

Leach is great, but I don't think throwing 50 to 60 times a game would work real well here.

Last edited:
we have very little in the cupboard for scott's offense. it'll take time.

leach could make it interesting, now. although, theres just no support for this choice.

Reactions: headcard
we have very little in the cupboard for scott's offense. it'll take time.

leach could make it interesting, now. although, theres just no support for this choice.
We have fast and good WR’s. We have solid RB’s. We just need a athletic QB. Which he didn’t have when he first went to UCF. He converted a WR to QB who did extremely well before getting injured. Then inserted a true freshman and went to a bowl game and next year went undefeated in the regular season. Frost would have little trouble here.

is that too much money?
New coach=$5 million, Eichorst $1 million, Pelini $1.6 million, Riley $2.1 million = almost $10 million related to football coaches per year. Can we justify another $9 million for Campbell's buyout? In any event, I doubt that he would come.

I’m confused on people wanting Sumlin or Mullen. Sumlin is pretty much a shoe-in to lose 5 games a year despite top ten recruiting classes.
Dan Mullen has near the same winning percentage as Riley and despite being in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, has only had 1 top 25 recruiting class.

I think my list would be :

1 frost
2 cambell (sometimes it takes money to make money)
3 paul the gt coach (runs the ball)
4 leech (could use our current personal for sure, on offense)
5 strong (he sure did well at louisville, although I think someone else built it)

Any coach in the B1G better be able to assemble a team that's above average on defense. If not... you won't contend for titles in this conference.
If you think a coach that's offensive minded first is the answer... you will be greatly disappointed.
Nebraska isn't in the Big 12 anymore.

Reactions: IUHusker and nu2u
I’m confused on people wanting Sumlin or Mullen. Sumlin is pretty much a shoe-in to lose 5 games a year despite top ten recruiting classes.
Dan Mullen has near the same winning percentage as Riley and despite being in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, has only had 1 top 25 recruiting class.
Mullen-MissState is a tough job in the toughest conference in America yet Mullen has made them into a pretty consistent winner and has had success on both sides of the ball. They don't have the recruiting base of Florida Georgia LSU or A&M nor the tradition of Alabama. Guy is an excellent proven head coach.
Sumlin-agree he seems to be a better recruiter than game day coach but recruiting is a large part of the battle in college football and 9 winning seasons in 10 years is impressive. Further the people st A&M have delusions of grandeur. If you look at their 40 year track record he has done a good job all things being equal.

1. why can't we get iowa states coach? he seems to have done a lot with a little.

2. who would you pick between leech and ark states coach?
I like leeches humor, and he seems like he would know how to use our current offensives skills.

sure he didn't do great at texas, but you have to be more than a coach at texas you have to do a lot of other bs. plus if we ever had to have a black coach he seems like a decent guy (gill and brown also is but I don't see that right now)

Wait, you said Frost is coming to Nebraska...take it to the bank! What happened good sir?

For Me it goes

1) Scott Frost 2) Kevin Sumlin 3) Matt Campbell 4) Dan Mullen 5) Mike Leach

If we get any of those 5 I'll be tickled pink.

I don't get the love for Sumlin. He got fired in College Station. I guess if he isn't good enough for A&M, but he's a great choice for us. The thing that always bothered me is Kevin's indecisiveness when it came to quarterbacks. How many great ones did he recruit and then have transfer away?

Last edited:
We have fast and good WR’s. We have solid RB’s. We just need a athletic QB. Which he didn’t have when he first went to UCF. He converted a WR to QB who did extremely well before getting injured. Then inserted a true freshman and went to a bowl game and next year went undefeated in the regular season. Frost would have little trouble here.
We have no depth at wr and our rb's are average at best. Oline is bad but will be a year older which could help a little. Defense is deeper and has some talent but will be going on their third coordinator in three years.

Fair disclosure, I'm from the state of Iowa and root for both teams from our state. I pray you don't get Matt Campbell as someone that roots for both the Cyclones and Hawkeyes. Trust me BOTH fan bases probably don't want you getting that guy which is a testament to him. He is a young coach that has came in and won at ISU and they are so close to having at least 2 more wins this year. At least late into the season was first in the conference in being least penalized and ISU still hasn't lost a fumble this year and is on the verge of setting the FBS record. Thats some pretty good fundamentals for a young coach.

If Nebraska doesn't get Frost I will put my 2 cents in. I think the Dantonio name is a great one but I doubt he leaves. Since I don't think he will leave, I think someone everyone is overlooking because of age but would possibly get Nebraska back on track is Craig Bohl. I know you don't like the age but he plays the kind of hard nosed solid football Nebraska was known for, and Nebraska is not going to recruit their way to being a perennial top 10 team again. Being where Nebraska is on the western edge of the B1G, they will need a coach with hall of fame coaching skills like a Bill Snyder, etc. I think Craig Bohl could be real solid even if he only had a 6-8 year run he might help Nebraska get back to a higher level and get its football identity back in terms of style of play.

Sumlin played in the toughest division in football with a historically average program and won 11 games his first year and 8 every year after that. He beat Saban a number of times, he's a great recruiter, he knows the B1G. IMO he's the Mark Richt of this year. The team running him off isn't going to do any better than him and we'd be lucky to have him. Obviously I want Frost but if he doesn't work out Sumlin is the next man I'd call.

No coach who has been fired at another Power 5 conference please.

Maybe not plan B or even plan C but I still think Bielema has some gas left in his tank. Don't laugh...I'm being serious. Arkansas was never a good fit, his coaching style is all big ten. At Arkansas he never had a decent quarterback (Allen brothers started the 5 years he was coach) and didn't have a decent defensive coordinator or talent. Also he found recruiting difficult to Fayetteville and Arkansas is no Nebraska. I could see him getting much better players to Nebraska and putting monster lineman and freak running backs in the NFL just like he did at Wisconsin. In addition...he and his teams would be highly motivated to beat the two teams (Wisconsin and Iowa) that more often than not would be competing with Nebraska for the west most years. Nebraska could do a lot worse and at least Bielema has achievements.

I think my list would be :

1 frost
2 cambell (sometimes it takes money to make money)
3 paul the gt coach (runs the ball)
4 leech (could use our current personal for sure, on offense)
5 strong (he sure did well at louisville, although I think someone else built it)

So you would take Strong even though you think Petrino built his team in Louisville. Pair that with his disastrous years in Austin and you have another Riley. Charlie is having good first year at USF, but give him a few years. He's coaching Taggart's players for now. Let's see how he does with his own.

Last edited:
Yes I know he’s not at gt. Just saying that wr’s being recruited to the option is the only tough sell and gt does it.

Why don’t you just call him “Hey boy” while your at. SMH

Reactions: Wasker77
ADVERTISEMENT