ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck and others.

Glad you are so happy with the douche canoe. I'm sure there is some sort of sweater vest circle jerk on the Gopher board you could participate in.
If it gets us to this guy's level, I might have to join in...
6_5540725.jpg

Fair question, thanks. It's the recruits. Getting players from IMG academy, getting solid players from SEC country. We are recruiting defensive players like we never have before. Usually we would be happy with ONE good defensive tackle - now we are happy with the two-deeps! We have a legit passing attack, unlike the previous regime where the offense was from like a hundred years ago.

So when you can play defense and score through the air, you have a better chance of winning.
So, my next question is, as Brohm continues to build and gets a better 2 deep all around and continues to recruit at that top 35 level and let's assume Nebraska gets back to 8 wins and Illinois isn't a pushover, is fleck really going to be ahead? Or is it going to be from year to year for each team depending on what they return? I'm not sure his level of recruiting gives them an advantage.

I say that assuming Nebraska figures it out and Brohm keeps stepping forward. I'm really not sold on beilema.

So, my next question is, as Brohm continues to build and gets a better 2 deep all around and continues to recruit at that top 35 level and let's assume Nebraska gets back to 8 wins and Illinois isn't a pushover, is fleck really going to be ahead? Or is it going to be from year to year for each team depending on what they return? I'm not sure his level of recruiting gives them an advantage.

I say that assuming Nebraska figures it out and Brohm keeps stepping forward. I'm really not sold on beilema.

The only thing Brohm has proven into season #5 is how to take a program out of the flaming dumpster fire and into Fringe Bowl team status as an under .500 overall record B1G head coach. Carry on with your Brohm vs Fleck comparisons and speculation. I am more concerned with N's future H.C. than I am with Brohm elevating P.U. into a West contender until proven otherwise.

Good question. Now I could point out that we were an 8 win team 3 times in 4 years without Fleck's improvement in recruiting, so that should show you that we could hang beforehand. ;) ;)

We are definitely getting much better at the QB and WR positions than either of the two previous regimes, and that matters a lot. We're not used to good QB play here, definitely not use to NFL talent at WR.

But I can't refute what you're saying either, Nebraska and Purdue could catch us and we'd be back to where we were. Time will tell.

The only thing Brohm has proven into season #5 is how to take a program out of the flaming dumpster fire and into Fringe Bowl team status as an under .500 overall record B1G head coach. Carry on with your Brohm vs Fleck comparisons and speculation. I am more concerned with N's future H.C. than I am with Brohm elevating P.U. into a West contender until proven otherwise.
I'm curious to see who Nebraska hires as well, assuming Frost is gone. Still not convinced. It doesn't directly impact Minnesota and Purdue because I feel like they don't fight over to many recruits. But Nebraska and Purdue improving makes it tougher on Minnesota to consistently win.

It is going to be a fun race to watch play out!

Rome wasn't built in a day. Fleck may or may not be the forever answer, but he's the now answer. Now is relative. Now status could change before the end of the season instead of some season far off in the distance. Since Minnesota isn't in a top instate talent area, it has not recently contended for a National Championship, nor does it have an alumni that is willing to cut a check in the 10's of millions. With that said, before we can even honestly talk about being in the running for Nick Saban, I think we have to inch up a quite a ways up the win column for a top notch established coach to give us even a whiff.

As a fan that has watched the Gophers for a very long time, I know that P.J. Fleck is a best case scenario at this moment in time. I also think that he/ like Frost is still growing as a coach. With that said, I stick by my conclusion that Fleck is a good fit at the moment.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Fleck may or may not be the forever answer, but he's the now answer. Now is relative. Now status could change before the end of the season instead of some season far off in the distance. Since Minnesota isn't in a top instate talent area, it has not recently contended for a National Championship, nor does it have an alumni that is willing to cut a check in the 10's of millions. With that said, before we can even honestly talk about being in the running for Nick Saban, I think we have to inch up a quite a ways up the win column for a top notch established coach to give us even a whiff.

As a fan that has watched the Gophers for a very long time, I know that P.J. Fleck is a best case scenario at this moment in time. I also think that he/ like Frost is still growing as a coach. With that said, I stick by my conclusion that Fleck is a good fit at the moment.
I agree. Rome wasn't built in a day, that's why I've been saying don't judge brohm based off the last 4 seasons. I agree though. All 3 are young. The thing I love most about brohm is he has shown lots of growth over the past few years and honestly, I still think he is the perfect fit at Purdue. Just have to keep trusting the process and recruiting at the top 35 level he has been. Also need one of the top 150 QB's coming in to be good.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
But Nebraska and Purdue improving makes it tougher on Minnesota to consistently win.

It is going to be a fun race to watch play out!
Or, as I think this fan base is secretly worried about, Purdue and Minnesota improving will make it tougher on Nebraska. The West has had two top dogs competing for it most years, if MN and Purdue can join the mix and Nebby doesn't, that puts them in a tough spot. How to get kids from other parts of the country to come to Lincoln for December bowl games at best.

Thankfully Nebraska beat us out for Bryce Benhart though!
Seriously, now that he has been humbled (maybe?) I hope he does okay for himself. I hope he's learned it really isn't such a good Idea to badmouth his home University. Especially since he was offered. He'll learn to say something to the effect that he felt Nebraska was a better fit for him.

Or, as I think this fan base is secretly worried about, Purdue and Minnesota improving will make it tougher on Nebraska. The West has had two top dogs competing for it most years, if MN and Purdue can join the mix and Nebby doesn't, that puts them in a tough spot. How to get kids from other parts of the country to come to Lincoln for December bowl games at best.
Or right coach AD combo. It could already be in place. I am guessing that Nebraska will assess thoroughly the current state of their program. I am much more worried about my Gophers than Nebraska.

The West is on track for parity. That actually may pay off eventually.

Reactions: headcard
Yeah, if fleck were to win the west repeatedly I could see the regents not wanting to pony up the appropriate raise for him and staff. That's just how MN does things.
See Charles "Bud" Wilkenson. The man who 'built' Sooner football. Okay, they also had a Bernie Bierman problem at that time, but...

There isn't a doubt in my mind brohm can make Purdue and consistent 8 win team.

Fleck has Minnesota trending upward. His conference records are 2-7, 3-6, 7-2, covid, 4-1.

Minnesota hasn't has records as good as 7-2 & 4-1 since 1967.

Fleck has Minnesota trending upward. His conference records are 2-7, 3-6, 7-2, covid, 4-1.

Minnesota hasn't has records as good as 7-2 & 4-1 since 1967.

3-4 last year. That’s loosing records 3 of 4 years. They went 5-4, 2-6, 5-3, 4-4 the four years before him. BTW

Why come here and act like the guy is working miracles, when that clearly isn’t the case?

Questions with regards to Brohm

is NUs ceiling higher than Purdue’s?

would you take the same or marginally higher salary for the potential of having more success?

Questions with regards to Brohm

is NUs ceiling higher than Purdue’s?

would you take the same or marginally higher salary for the potential of having more success?
I would guess, if Nebraska ponies up the 50 mil it would take to get him, he would say no.

3-4 last year. That’s loosing records 3 of 4 years. They went 5-4, 2-6, 5-3, 4-4 the four years before him. BTW

Why come here and act like the guy is working miracles, when that clearly isn’t the case?
There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. So you use your statistics, and I'll use mine.

Fleck's conference records are trending up: 2-7, 3-6, 7-2, covid, 4-1. Minnesota hadn't been better than 5-3 since 1973.

There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. So you use your statistics, and I'll use mine.

Fleck's conference records are trending up: 2-7, 3-6, 7-2, covid, 4-1. Minnesota hadn't been better than 5-3 since 1973.

Except he’s not trending up because he went 3-4 last year. Should this year not count? Covid is still out there. And of course year one was really year zero. So really PJ has just had that one good year. Am I doing it right?

• Haha
Except he’s not trending up because he went 3-4 last year. Should this year not count? Covid is still out there. And of course year one was really year zero. So really PJ has just had that one good year. Am I doing it right?
If everything else is trending up....then yes, I can give a pass on the Covid year.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Life is good! Don't sweat the small stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT