ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck and others.

I don't think Fleck is a bad coach. I just think he is a douchebag. Let's go get him!
And a "rivalry" is born...Laughing

Seriously, If you'd asked me would I read about any Nebraska fans wanting a Gophers coach back in the Osbourne years, I would have said you are crazy. Different times? Anyway we know you will be back. Just hope we can hold up our end of making this series relevant.

Throughout college football history, I think we have played Nebraska more than any other BigTen team?

No one should be snubbing their nose at PJ Fleck.

Our program and coach is a joke. If anyone still has any arrogance to look down on a winning coach, they are an insane asshole.

He may not be in my top 3 or top 7 but I would be ok with it.

He has rowed his boat up Frost's ass enough times with lesser talent and facilities to convince me that after this last debacle we would be lucky to get a coach like that.

Again, he is not one of my top picks, but the arrogance of this fan base after a 4 year performance that hardly anyone living has ever witnessed before at Nebraska is astounding.

We can be good. We can be great. We will be great again. But any Nebraska fan who thinks we are entitled to a coach that meets this criteria or that really need to come to grips with reality and get a hug from PJ.
Could he be headed to Penn State if Franklin leaves?

Part of a sign of a program headed in the right direction is winning such games. The fact that the BigTen's longest no show in the conference championship being discussed like this is a success. It's all relative. This wouldn't be good for the OSU's of the world, but it is for Minnesota.

Anyway, to the Nebraska fans, Good luck going forward. With Scott Frost, or not. We will be your loudest fans come the Wisconsin, and Ioaw Iowa games...
But is it heading in the right direction? How would one no? Some of that has been straight luck and nothing Minnesota has done. I can especially say that towards the last two Purdue games.

Like, I can definitively say and show progress under Brohm. Can you Minnesota?

They had won 8 games, three of the four seasons before Fleck got to town. He has only accomplished that once. Those are facts, sorry they bother you.
You cherry-picked a 4 year span, that's NOT consistently. Do you know the meaning of the word? Sorry that your little cherry-picked stats don't tell the whole story. Classic liberal arguing techniques you have. I went back to 2000 so I WOULD NOT be accused of cherry picking. Yeesh. Just admit you were wrong to say consistently, you stubborn farm hand.

I agree you are more solid on both sides, but you still aren't out here consistently winning 8 or 9 wins. In the years before fleck, minny won 8, 8, 6, 9.

So Fleck has slightly improved in that he is solid on both sides of the ball, but it isn't translating to more wins per year and in fact, would be much less if his record in 1 score games was comparable to Brohm or Frost.

I guess for me, I struggle to see how people think Fleck's situation is comparable to Brohm and then can say Fleck is clearly better than Brohm. I can't speak as much for frost, but frost had some serious culture and talent to rebuild as well.
You're just as bad as headcard is. Why you guys obsess over some cherry-picked stats is beyond me. We weren't winning 8 games in 2017 regardless of coach. We had a brief pocket of talent for a while that would look like an abberation had Fleck not come here.

You cherry-picked a 4 year span, that's NOT consistently. Do you know the meaning of the word? Sorry that your little cherry-picked stats don't tell the whole story. Classic liberal arguing techniques you have. I went back to 2000 so I WOULD NOT be accused of cherry picking. Yeesh. Just admit you were wrong to say consistently, you stubborn farm hand.

I used the 4 years right before he got to town. Minnesota was winning before PJ and he has not made it better. Those are just facts. Sorry that gets your panties in a wad.

I used the 4 years right before he got to town. Minnesota was winning before PJ and he has not made it better. Those are just facts. Sorry that gets your panties in a wad.
Facts and coincidence. It can be both. We had a solid roster the year before Fleck, but it was all seniors and the next year was going to be s*** and everyone knew it. And the recruits coming in were straight garbage. In your hatred of the man, you overlook these things and then pretend that I'm being fooled. There's just no way for you to know this as well as a Gopher fan does. But yet you ignore what I'm pointing out.

And yes, he has made it better. You can point to a lucky streak of 4 years but that's all you got. Why don't you look past those cherry picked 4 years? You don't because it sends your argument straight to sh*t.

You're just as bad as headcard is. Why you guys obsess over some cherry-picked stats is beyond me. We weren't winning 8 games in 2017 regardless of coach. We had a brief pocket of talent for a while that would look like an abberation had Fleck not come here.
I'm sure most said Purdue wasn't winning 7 games regardless of coach Brohms first year. Especially after having 5 FBS wins the previous 4 years. But Brohm didn't make excuses.

That last 4 years isn't cherry picking stats, it is looking at what fleck inherited and did with it. If you want to go back to 2000 for stats, you will find that 6-8 wins is normal for Purdue. But then that would change the narrative from Brohm is rebuilding Purdue to Brohm is underachieving. And that's the wrong narrative.

Reactions: headcard
But is it heading in the right direction? How would one no? Some of that has been straight luck and nothing Minnesota has done. I can especially say that towards the last two Purdue games.

Yes, we have a modern passing attack, play defense well, get our share of 4* recruits from out of state, and when we play the Northwesterns and such, it's not a back and forth fight like it was under the previous coach, it's convincing wins (outside of the BG debacle).

Facts and coincidence. It can be both. We had a solid roster the year before Fleck, but it was all seniors and the next year was going to be s*** and everyone knew it. And the recruits coming in were straight garbage. In your hatred of the man, you overlook these things and then pretend that I'm being fooled. There's just no way for you to know this as well as a Gopher fan does. But yet you ignore what I'm pointing out.

And yes, he has made it better. You can point to a lucky streak of 4 years but that's all you got. Why don't you look past those cherry picked 4 years? You don't because it sends your argument straight to sh*t.
Since 2000, Minnesota has won 6 or more 13 times. Less than 6 4 times. So.... fleck is still the average or below.

That last 4 years isn't cherry picking stats, it is looking at what fleck inherited and did with it. If you want to go back to 2000 for stats, you will find that 6-8 wins is normal for Purdue. But then that would change the narrative from Brohm is rebuilding Purdue to Brohm is underachieving. And that's the wrong narrative.
But that was an aberation, that's what you guys weren't getting. There was ZERO chance we were going to keep that up with that coaching staff. Non. Zilp. Zich . Nada. Why don't you guys believe someone who follows the team closely and reads message boards and discusses on them? I don't come on here, briefly look at some Husker stats, and act like I know more than you guys do.

How would we know? Obviously nobody "knows". That is why we play the games. With that said winning is better than losing. It is also a step in the right direction. Though Purdue has had some bad luck, Minnesota has played a role in it's luck by positioning itself to be the benefit of in game breaks.

As a Gopher fan I remember the days of getting beat 84-13. No amount of luck would have spared said execution. I'd like to think we are no longer in that position. "Luck" is meaningless if you aren't any good.

Cheers!

Since 2000, Minnesota has won 6 or more 13 times. Less than 6 4 times. So.... fleck is still the average or below.
I get your passion, but what does all of this have to do with Nebraska keeping Frost, or replacing him with another coach. If it helps you, Fleck just signed a 7 year extension.

PJF winning percentage at Minn - .603
Minn winning percentage in 3 years prior to Fleck - .589

Conclusion - Fleck is horrible

Frost winning percentage at NU - .367
NU winning percentage in 3 years prior to Frost - .500

Conclusion - difficult decision - maybe he should be brought back for year 5 - lots of debate

Reactions: GoGophers_NoBigRed
I used the 4 years right before he got to town.
I guess a better reply would be this: 4 years isn't a long enough time to talk about "consistently". Did we have some success before Fleck? Absolutely. Was it consistent success? No. Iowa and Wisconsin are what I think of when I think of consistently winning 8+ games. Can we agree on that?

Reactions: STPGopherfan

Conclusion - difficult decision - maybe he should be brought back for year 5 - lots of debate
At first read I thought you were an idiot, but now I get the sarcasm. Well done!

At first read I thought you were an idiot, but now I get the sarcasm. Well done!

Conclusion - 7 year contract extension!

Conclusion - should he be fired or retained?

Not sure which is more idiotic.

Gopher and Boilermaker fans arguing on a Husker football message board. You can’t make this stuff up. 🤣
space-jam-remark.gif
Anyway, I have been doing a little cruising of other boards. We will most likely need a little help from Purdue and Nebraska to pull off a BigTen West championship.

Fleck has almost an identical win% to the coaches before him, despite only having one good season . Fleck is 32-21 at Minnesota, the 4 years prior they were 31-21. The previous staff was run out of town, while PJ convinced his followers to drink the kool-aide got contract extensions.

Frost will be most likely be fired for failing as HC.

Conclusion- Frost sucks, PJ sucks. But Nebraska is going to do something about their problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
space-jam-remark.gif
Anyway, I have been doing a little cruising of other boards. We will most likely need a little help from Purdue and Nebraska to pull off a BigTen West championship.
I honestly don't know. How can Purdue help? They have a winnable game vs MSU, a guaranteed loss at osu, and two should be wins vs NU and IU.

The answer is "C" - nebraska fans thinking they know enough about our program to comment like y'all are.
I guess my question about fleck is can he made Minnesota into a sustainable 8-10 win program? And if so, what signs has he shown, besides 1 good year, to do so.

I honestly don't know. How can Purdue help? They have a winnable game vs MSU, a guaranteed loss at osu, and two should be wins vs NU and IU.
My bad. I forgot that you had already played both Iowa and Wisconsin. With that said, you already did help!

My bad. I forgot that you had already played both Iowa and Wisconsin. With that said, you already did help!
Don't remind me of the Wisconsin game.... that was the worst second half I've ever seen a Brohm team play. And then it carried over to the first half of Nebraska. Luckily, they showed up at halftime.

I think Nebraska gets Iowa. Wisconsin seems to be figuring it out quick though...

So Fleck has almost an identical win% to the coaches before him, despite only having one good season . The previous staff was run out of town, while PJ convinced his followers to drink the kool-aide got contract extensions.

Frost will be most likely be fired for failing as HC.

Conclusion- Frost sucks, PJ sucks. But Nebraska is going to do something about there problem.

I don’t believe the staff preceding Fleck was terminated for on field performance like Frost’s predecessor.

Frost was brought in to improve on field performance and has failed miserably -Fleck has at minimum maintained a level of success that they were satisfied with

PJF is annoying af but I will add that a he has been better imo than his predecessors on the basis of having produced an elite season - which I consider 11-2.

On balance I would much rather have 5 season cycles of 7-5 7-5 8-4 7-5 and 11-2 than the Bo Pelini years of 4 losses every year.

This year Brohm is upticking again, but until this year you were actually trending down. You continued to lose more each year and W-L is what you are measured by.

Don't remind me of the Wisconsin game.... that was the worst second half I've ever seen a Brohm team play. And then it carried over to the first half of Nebraska. Luckily, they showed up at halftime.

I think Nebraska gets Iowa. Wisconsin seems to be figuring it out quick though...
Too quickly for me... Hopefully home cooking will help.

Conclusion- Frost sucks, PJ sucks. But Nebraska is going to do something about their problem.
We have a problem? We're ranked #20 and have a legit shot of winning the division. Yeah, perfect time for a coaching change. You must be one of the pro-weed guys.

Fleck has almost an identical win% to the coaches before him, despite only having one good season . Fleck is 32-21 at Minnesota, the 4 years prior they were 31-21.
The difference is we knew the ceiling with the previous staff was 8-9 and never winning a significant bowl game. Kill got us to one, I'll say that, but we lost to Missouri for crying out loud. THOSE OF US who actually follow the program can see the differences you are ignoring, like the caliber of recruits we get. Case in point - in our last class, our WORST rated player would have been one of the best gets of the previous regime.

But ignore it and hate at Fleck and just cherry pick stuff to make yourself feel better that the guy you hate is winning and the coach you wet yourself over is taking your program to new lows.

We have a problem? We're ranked #20 and have a legit shot of winning the division. Yeah, perfect time for a coaching change. You must be one of the pro-weed guys.

Glad you are so happy with the douche canoe. I'm sure there is some sort of sweater vest circle jerk on the Gopher board you could participate in.

This year Brohm is upticking again, but until this year you were actually trending down. You continued to lose more each year and W-L is what you are measured by.
He was the same last year as the year before percentage wise. Brohms biggest issue is he won early with what he inherited and lots of transfers/rondale Moore. Then once they all left, he's team got incredibly young. Add in a mass amount of injuries, bad year. 2020 was weird and Diaco was volatile.... anyways. This improvement isn't really shocking. Brohm has recruited well and is starting to not be stupid young. Still young, but not as bad.

Then he went out and hired a good. Proven DC and hired a known talent in Hagan and the CB coach. Should keep improving now as he continues to add depth and get older.

I guess my question about fleck is can he made Minnesota into a sustainable 8-10 win program? And if so, what signs has he shown, besides 1 good year, to do so.
Fair question, thanks. It's the recruits. Getting players from IMG academy, getting solid players from SEC country. We are recruiting defensive players like we never have before. Usually we would be happy with ONE good defensive tackle - now we are happy with the two-deeps! We have a legit passing attack, unlike the previous regime where the offense was from like a hundred years ago.

So when you can play defense and score through the air, you have a better chance of winning.

I don’t believe the staff preceding Fleck was terminated for on field performance like Frost’s predecessor.
100% correct. We had just won a bowl game that we thought we would lose for sure, and it was a great coaching up of the defense that won it.

He was the same last year as the year before percentage wise. Brohms biggest issue is he won early with what he inherited and lots of transfers/rondale Moore. Then once they all left, he's team got incredibly young. Add in a mass amount of injuries, bad year. 2020 was weird and Diaco was volatile.... anyways. This improvement isn't really shocking. Brohm has recruited well and is starting to not be stupid young. Still young, but not as bad.

Then he went out and hired a good. Proven DC and hired a known talent in Hagan and the CB coach. Should keep improving now as he continues to add depth and get older.
His DC this year saved his job in my opinion because he hasn't had a good D-Coordinator since he was hired. If your D was bad again this year, it would be ugly in WL and Brohm might be in the same position as Frost is in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT