ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck and others.

Mystery Big Red Man

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2013
No one should be snubbing their nose at PJ Fleck.

Our program and coach is a joke. If anyone still has any arrogance to look down on a winning coach, they are an insane asshole.

He may not be in my top 3 or top 7 but I would be ok with it.

He has rowed his boat up Frost's ass enough times with lesser talent and facilities to convince me that after this last debacle we would be lucky to get a coach like that.

Again, he is not one of my top picks, but the arrogance of this fan base after a 4 year performance that hardly anyone living has ever witnessed before at Nebraska is astounding.

We can be good. We can be great. We will be great again. But any Nebraska fan who thinks we are entitled to a coach that meets this criteria or that really need to come to grips with reality and get a hug from PJ.

Last edited:

Our program and coach is a joke. If anyone still has any arrogance to look down on a winning coach, they are an insane asshole.

He may not be in my top 3 but I would be ok with it.

He has rowed his boat up Frost's ass enough times with lesser talent and facilities to convince me that after this last debacle we would be lucky to get a coach like that.

Again, he is not one of my top picks, but the arrogance of this fan base after a 4 year performance that hardly anyone living has ever witnessed before at Nebraska is astounding.

We can be good. We can be great. We will be great again. But any Nebraska fan who thinks we are entitled to a coach that meets this criteria or that really need to come to grips with reality and get a hug from PJ.
I would cease being an NU fan if that goof was our head coach.

There is no doubt PJ Fleck is much, much better than Frost and a better coach than many here give him credit for. He might have been the right coach for us we’d hired him before Minnesota, but there is no way a coach is going to basically jump a state line in the same conference.

PJ Fleck sucks. The fact that he can beat Frost is hardly an accomplishment. I am on board with many, many potential coaches, that clown is NOT one of them.
He is not high on my list. But it is astounding after 4 years of this garbage how entitled we can still be.

Here is a list of my requirements:
Can he win?

We have all the pieces. Just need someone who knows what they are doing and will out forth the effort.

He is not high on my list. But it is astounding after 4 years of this garbage how entitled we can still be.

Here is a list of my requirements:
Can he win?

We have all the pieces. Just need someone who knows what they are doing and will out forth the effort.

We obviously have different options of his coaching ability. To me a guy that is in his 5th season at his school and has won 8+ games once isn’t that impressive, especially considering it was done there 3 of three 4 years before him. And yes I know Frost sucks but that doesn’t make everyone that beats him good.

This hire is huge for Nebraska, as the program is at a critical point and desperately needs a good hire. I don’t think it is “entitled” to not trust PJ and his circus in our situation.

All that without even mentioning that he is a dirt bag that makes my skin crawl and the thought of him coaching a team a care about makes me physically ill.

He wouldn’t leave but what are people’s thoughts on Brohm?

Not a great record at Purdue but would he have more success at Nebraska?

Reactions: baseball_23
I understand what you are saying and agree with a lot of it. There are a lot of realistic names ahead of him in my mind but I felt he could succeed here and knew it would be amusing to argue so.

You sound troubled child. Perhaps you seek forgiveness. I know someone who forgives.

"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your fanbase, but row thy neighbor's boat as thy row thine own. I am PJ." Fleck 3:16

Last edited:
I have a buddy who has coached HS football for years, we coached together. Anyway, we were watching his boys play NAIA football and talking about college coaches and he brought up Fleck. He is usually a really positive guy so when he said something like that guy just ticks me off always talking about culture culture culture like no one else understands that, all the time he is shaking his head..

Reactions: headcard
I have a buddy who has coached HS football for years, we coached together. Anyway, we were watching his boys play NAIA football and talking about college coaches and he brought up Fleck. He is usually a really positive guy so when he said something like that guy just ticks me off always talking about culture culture culture like no one else understands that, all the time he is shaking his head..
Fleck is most always talking to his audience, and that audience is Minnesota. Minnesota was once Nebraska. Too long ago for many of us to have witnessed, "we" were. Over decades of decline the program had developed holes in its culture.

Like he says, he's not for everybody. IMHO he's a good fit for Minnesota. He is what Minnesota needs.

Nebraska may or may not need some of what a coach like Fleck offers. Perhaps you just need a talented coach. Or perhaps you need someone with program rebuilding skills? For your programs sake, hopefully you find a coach that fits Nebraska's needs. Whatever that may be.

Cheers!

Reactions: BleedRed78
Fleck is most always talking to his audience, and that audience is Minnesota. Minnesota was once Nebraska. Too long ago for many of us to have witnessed, "we" were. Over decades of decline the program had developed holes in its culture.

Like he says, he's not for everybody. IMHO he's a good fit for Minnesota. He is what Minnesota needs.

Nebraska may or may not need some of what a coach like Fleck offers. Perhaps you just need a talented coach. Or perhaps you need someone with program rebuilding skills? For your programs sake, hopefully you find a coach that fits Nebraska's needs. Whatever that may be.

Cheers!
The point is he keeps ringing the same bell over and over and every coach and most people already know about what he is selling. He can't seem to venture far from his key planks like he has the market cornered on it. Find a coach that doesn't think culture is important, they don't all talk nonstop about it.

He wouldn’t leave but what are people’s thoughts on Brohm?

Not a great record at Purdue but would he have more success at Nebraska?
Doubt Brohm leaves Purdue now that he's finally getting it turned around. He's already turned down Tennessee and his Alma mater and hometown in Louisville. He also has a 20 million dollar buyout and makes 4.8 million a year. It would essentially cost Nebraska 50 million to fire frost and hire Brohm.

To me a guy that is in his 5th season at his school and has won 8+ games once isn’t that impressive, especially considering it was done there 3 of three 4 years before him.
Fleck went 5-7, 7-6, then 11-2.

Before Fleck's 7-2, Minnesota hadn't been better than 5-3 in conference since 1973. 7-2 is their best conference record since 1967.

Last year was Covid. But this year he has Minnesota at 4-1 in conference.

Last edited:

Before Fleck's 7-2, Minnesota hadn't been better than 5-3 in conference since 1973. 7-2 is their best conference record since 1967.

So what you are saying is fleck didn't really have much of a rebuild, but instead, continued the tradition of being good, not great while slightly improving the product? Whereas, Brohm has rebuilt a product that hadn't had more than 1 conference win in a season in 4 years to be a comparable team to fleck currently? Minnesota game still ticks me off as Purdue should have won big... oh well.

Yes. I'm saying fleck is a good coach. But he's not a great coach. No. I'm not saying brohm is a great coach. They are on a comparable level.

The last he went 3-4, a losing record. After inheriting a program that won 8+ in three of four years, he did it once. Yet you are convinced he is a good coaching because of one good year and because he tells you he is a good coach every single change he gets.

Reactions: BoilerN
The last he went 3-4, a losing record. After inheriting a program that won 8+ in three of four years, he did it once. Yet you are convinced he is a good coaching because of one good year and because he tells you he is a good coach every single change he gets.
The one thing fleck has been really good at is winning games he shouldn't.

Reactions: leodisflowers

He may not be in my top 3 or top 7 but I would be ok with it.

I don't think Fleck is a bad coach. I just think he is a douchebag. Let's go get him!

• Haha
Reactions: STPGopherfan
The one thing fleck has been really good at is winning games he shouldn't.

Which ones are those? Not sure we can really count Nebraska games anymore. Only one I can think of is the PSU game his one good year.

Which ones are those? Not sure we can really count Nebraska games anymore. Only one I can think of is the PSU game his one good year.
Purdue this year. Purdue last year. The year he was good, they dang near started like 1-4. That's just a few.

I think 14-6 in 1 score games. 3 of those losses came in flecks first year, which fleck claims doesn't count, so 13-3 in one score games.

Last edited:
Purdue this year. Purdue last year. The year he was good, they dang near started like 1-4. That's just a few.

I think 14-6 in 1 score games. 3 of those losses came in flecks first year, which fleck claims doesn't count, so 13-3 in one score games.

Non of those are games they should have lost. Purdue was terrible last year and the two teams are even at worst this year. The year they were good those early close games were against South Dakota State, Georgia Southern and Fresno State. Only PJ Fleck can convince people those are miracle wins only possible due to his amazing coaching.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Non of those are games they should have lost. Purdue was terrible last year and the two teams are even at worst this year. The year they were good those early close games were against South Dakota State, Georgia Southern and Fresno State. Only PJ Fleck can convince people those are miracle wins only possible due to his amazing coaching.
Purdue might not have been good last year, but they were a bad OPI away from having the lead with under a minute.

I guess I'm not sold on Fleck. Is he good, sure.... but he hasn't really done anything outstanding. He doesn't really recruit at a super high level, according to rankings at least. But, he does win close games. Is it sustainable?

Purdue might not have been good last year, but they were a bad OPI away from having the lead with under a minute.

I guess I'm not sold on Fleck. Is he good, sure.... but he hasn't really done anything outstanding. He doesn't really recruit at a super high level, according to rankings at least. But, he does win close games. Is it sustainable?

I think we agree. I just misunderstood your statement that he wins games he shouldn’t. I thought you were saying he beat good teams they had no business beating. But yes he has sucked out some close W’s, which I’m sure he will tell you is because of his elite coaching. Maybe that’s true and it’s sustainable (I doubt it).

Reactions: BoilerN
To me a guy that is in his 5th season at his school and has won 8+ games once isn’t that impressive
Ok, this is spin city right here. First, season 5 isn't over yet, and considering we have Illinois and Indiana on our schedule, and Iowa can't score points, there's a good chance we get to 8 this year too. And last year we didn't even play 8 games! So how can you fault him for not getting to 8? You're just being obtuse on purpose. You could look neutrally at it and say that in year 3 he produced the best season the team has had in 100 years. But you conveniently ignore that and make some stupid comment like you did. Spin city baby! Go work for CNN.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
So what you are saying is fleck didn't really have much of a rebuild, but instead, continued the tradition of being good, not great while slightly improving the product?
Well he did stave off what was most likely a road to the bottom of the B1G had we kept the previous coach. And sure, a slight increase in conference wins might not seem like much, but it's when you realize there was no more low hanging fruit from which to do it, is what makes it tougher than it seems. Going from 0 or 1 conference win to 2-3 isn't hard because it just requires you to beat the bottom of the barrel. But Fleck got us beating teams we normally wouldn't, like Wisconsin in 2018 or Penn State in 2019. Sure, they were "just one more win" but it is a huge bump in the road to get over when you normally just beat doormats.

He doesn't really recruit at a super high level, according to rankings at least.
Compared to what Jerry Kill and Glen Mason were bringing in, we are definitely doing better in the recruiting department. (Now I'm sure someone will go and post Kill's rankings versus Fleck and try and say there's not much difference, and that could be true based solely on someone's eval of high school performance and projections at the next level, but they players on the field are far superior to previous staffs.)

Well he did stave off what was most likely a road to the bottom of the B1G had we kept the previous coach. And sure, a slight increase in conference wins might not seem like much, but it's when you realize there was no more low hanging fruit from which to do it, is what makes it tougher than it seems. Going from 0 or 1 conference win to 2-3 isn't hard because it just requires you to beat the bottom of the barrel. But Fleck got us beating teams we normally wouldn't, like Wisconsin in 2018 or Penn State in 2019. Sure, they were "just one more win" but it is a huge bump in the road to get over when you normally just beat doormats.
So I'm correct?

Ok, this is spin city right here. First, season 5 isn't over yet, and considering we have Illinois and Indiana on our schedule, and Iowa can't score points, there's a good chance we get to 8 this year too. And last year we didn't even play 8 games! So how can you fault him for not getting to 8? You're just being obtuse on purpose. You could look neutrally at it and say that in year 3 he produced the best season the team has had in 100 years. But you conveniently ignore that and make some stupid comment like you did. Spin city baby! Go work for CNN.

Last year he had a losing record, that team was no good and he wasn't getting to 8, as he lost 4 in 7 games. And ignoring everything else and just focusing on the one good year in not neutral, that is spin city.

He took over a team that consistently won 8 games and has done it once. No matter how great he tells you he is, that is still a fact. Glad you have bought in and enjoy having the dirt-ball as your coach, I'm sure there is a Gopher board where you can drink the kool-aide, I'm not buying it.

F PJF and F Iowa too for good measure.

giphy.gif

He took over a team that consistently won 8 games and has done it once.
What the f- are you talking about? You're just making crap up? If you take this millenium alone (2000 onward and before Fleck) the Gophers hit 8+ wins just 5 times! We were under 8 wins 12 times! How is that consistently an 8 win program to you? And when we did hit 8 wins, we NEVER did it 3 or more seasons in a row.

You have no idea what you are talking about and are just angry or worked up about Fleck. Get some facts first before you post.

What the f- are you talking about? You're just making crap up? If you take this millenium alone (2000 onward and before Fleck) the Gophers hit 8+ wins just 5 times! We were under 8 wins 12 times! How is that consistently an 8 win program to you? And when we did hit 8 wins, we NEVER did it 3 or more seasons in a row.

You have no idea what you are talking about and are just angry or worked up about Fleck. Get some facts first before you post.

They had won 8 games, three of the four seasons before Fleck got to town. He has only accomplished that once. Those are facts, sorry they bother you.

If you remove "slightly" from your sentence that I replied to, yes, you are. With Mason, we were good on offense, miserable on defense most years. With Kill, it was the opposite, solid D but piss poor offense. With Fleck, we play legit on both sides. And better.
I agree you are more solid on both sides, but you still aren't out here consistently winning 8 or 9 wins. In the years before fleck, minny won 8, 8, 6, 9.

So Fleck has slightly improved in that he is solid on both sides of the ball, but it isn't translating to more wins per year and in fact, would be much less if his record in 1 score games was comparable to Brohm or Frost.

I guess for me, I struggle to see how people think Fleck's situation is comparable to Brohm and then can say Fleck is clearly better than Brohm. I can't speak as much for frost, but frost had some serious culture and talent to rebuild as well.

Part of a sign of a program headed in the right direction is winning such games. The fact that the BigTen's longest no show in the conference championship being discussed like this is a success. It's all relative. This wouldn't be good for the OSU's of the world, but it is for Minnesota.

Anyway, to the Nebraska fans, Good luck going forward. With Scott Frost, or not. We will be your loudest fans come the Wisconsin, and Ioaw Iowa games...

ADVERTISEMENT