ADVERTISEMENT

Pitchford giving up hoops

I guess when Miles closed the smoothie bar, he lost the will to play?

At least he wasn't shipped off to Texas Southern.

Kind of a surprise. We need a big man pretty bad. I was thinking Hammonds was going to transfer, now I'm not sure, I really wish he would of got more playing time, to see if he could play big time Bball??? Still got to think Pettaway is gone??

Pitchford was a stop gap transfer to try to get a D-1 big man to a program that sucked. It was pretty obvious to most that Pitchford's commitment to basketball was questionable this season. His minutes likely would have been diminished this next season had he stayed. To some degree you can build big men if they are willing to work on their body and game. We'll be fine without Pitchford. IMO it looked like we played better when he was on the bench.

Not really a surprise to me. Only a guess, but I'm going to assume (yes, that's what this is) that perhaps he and Miles had a good talk and a mutual understanding that this move was for the best. IDK....just seems Miles lost trust in Pitchford by his lack of minutes down the stretch. It's too bad 'cause Pitchford can be a good player when he wants to. Then again.....I could be wrong on all my assumptions.
ohwell.r191677.gif

With White, Morrow, Shields, Smith and Parker coming back, I think there's a promising season. And if Petteway comes back with maybe a renewed desire, then that's even more promising. I'm also hoping Miles takes some stock in what he needs to do different, too. Whatever that may be.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
Miles better get off the barber chair and figure shit out.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Pitch was out partying every night so it was very clear he was straying away from sports. What a waste but
what do you expect Coach Miles to do.

Originally posted by mwulf:
how does that work without him using a scholarship
IIRC scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years now, so a school can't cut a kid if he gets injured or in this case, loses the will to play. Pitchford's scholarship shouldn't count against the team next year but the school will still honor it and pay for the rest of his education.

Originally posted by BetterRed:

IDK....just seems Miles lost trust in Pitchford by his lack of minutes down the stretch.
Miles was WAY too forgiving with Pitchford. He should have limited his playing time much earlier. When a coach fails to push the right buttons at the right times, well you can see what happens to the performance of the team. Easy to say that now, of course, but that was my opinion all along. Some of it wasn't Pitch's fault. I think he started the year with an ankle injury or at least he looked much slower than normal and he played much slower. He led the Big 10 in unnecessary shot fakes, often times passing up 3 point shots by making that long, slow shot fake and trying to put the ball on the floor.

This is a good thing for the program. Some necessary pruning. The team needs shooters and a good big man, and several guys who can be taught to feed the post.

Originally posted by ssmith84:
I do not believe that is correct, thenewnu
I got this from the NCAA's website. I am unaware whether or not Pitchford's scholarship is a single or multi-year scholarship, but they do exist, I also don't know if quitting to focus on academics is cause for losing a multi-year scholarship, it very well could however I don't know.

"Many athletics scholarships,
like most merit-based scholarships, are granted for one academic year. However, schools are
allowed to provide multi-year scholarships. Allowing schools to award scholarships for longer
than a single year gives student-athletes greater assurance that their education will continue
even if they suffer an injury, their athletics performance does not live up to expectations or the
coaching staff changes. If a school plans to reduce or not renew a student-athlete's aid, the
school must provide the student-athlete an opportunity to appeal. In most cases, coaches
decide who receives a scholarship, what it will cover and whether it will be renewed."

Good find TheNewNU. Hadn't seen that.

I doubt Smith leaves, but you never know with these kids jumping around school to school like those Dawson's River kids jump beds and what not

Petteway wants to go pro, but he can't. So it's time to man up and come back next year and try and repeat his sophomore year performance.

Originally posted by St. Anger:
Petteway wants to go pro, but he can't. So it's time to man up and come back next year and try and repeat his sophomore year performance.
I am sure he can make some $$$ overseas, and at this point, because of his age and skill set, that may be whats best for him financially and for his future. I mean isnt he already like 25 years old now? Would be dumb for him to come back to NU for another year just to "see" if he can get to the NBA> He can still get to the NBA by going overseas and pocket an extra year of cashola from it while developing his game even more.

Originally posted by huskerhomie:

I am sure he can make some $$$ overseas, and at this point, because of his age and skill set, that may be whats best for him financially and for his future. I mean isnt he already like 25 years old now? Would be dumb for him to come back to NU for another year just to "see" if he can get to the NBA> He can still get to the NBA by going overseas and pocket an extra year of cashola from it while developing his game even more.
He's 22.

Originally posted by Suvey101885:

Originally posted by huskerhomie:

He's 22.
Yeah he is 22, will be 23 in October of this year, then if he comes back to NU for another year, he doesnt get to the league (even if he makes it) until he is 24. What he needs is to go to Europe get PROFESSIONAL coaching to help work on his game while getting paid, and the NBA is still open to him while he develops his game. I have not seen much from a developmental standpoint from HCTM and his crew especially since coach Smith left.

Lets see: Stay another year at NU and take a chance that he ends up in the D league making a whopping 12-24k per year (at 24 years of age) (taxed of course) risk, another year of injury at NU.

Or

Get paid 65-100K to play in Europe at 23 years old, (tax free), with apartment and car paid for by team, get to see the world, get professional coaching, so he can raise his stock and then get a better shot at making a roster in the NBA and making more money..

I dont know about you, but unless he is a sure fire 1st rounder (which he certainly is not) the best thing for him would be to go to Europe and not waste another year at NU and get a year older, so he can make more $$ and receive better coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT