ADVERTISEMENT

Pinkel foul

RedSea

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 18, 2001
Missouri coach Pinkel has been backtracking heavily from his statement over the weekend expressing solidarity with the striking football players. My thought at the time was that he ought to be up for a reprimand or suspension for insubordination. He was publicly supporting a movement which was demanding the removal of his boss, and demanding that he resign without any due process etc. Pinkel was seriously out of line.

I understand he was in a hard place. So much of his job success depends upon being able to relate to minority players. But to throw the support of your football program behind a protest that demands the firing of your boss(es)? Surely there was a better way to strike a balance. I expect to see him ushered out before this is all through.

Some people are happy to see a successful protest, while others are worried about Pandora's box. Both sides can thank/blame Pinkel for this spectacular turn of events.

1) Pinkel should be fired
2) The player who threatned not to play should lose their scholarship and be kicked out of school
3) Protesting students should also be kicked out of school

Missouri coach Pinkel has been backtracking heavily from his statement over the weekend expressing solidarity with the striking football players. My thought at the time was that he ought to be up for a reprimand or suspension for insubordination. He was publicly supporting a movement which was demanding the removal of his boss, and demanding that he resign without any due process etc. Pinkel was seriously out of line.

Pinkel has always struck me as a guy that talks out of both sides of his mouth. He has made his bed here so he can deal with the consequences.

Reactions: baseball31ne
It would have been better if he had kept quiet publicly, while telling the players that they should return to practices and that he would try to present their concerns to the President or whoever.

Pinkel is old enough to remember Lloyd Eaton, former Wyoming coach who played hardball with Black players who intended to wear black armbands to protest racism during their BYU game. I recall BYU was lily white at the time, which even for the time was unusual. The Black players quit and it destroyed a Top 20 football program, one which has never really recovered its status. When I heard about the situation, it seemed really ironic that BYU is Mizzou's next opponent, but luckily for Gary, BYU integrated years ago so at least that didn't add to the "fun."

1) Pinkel should be fired
2) The player who threatned not to play should lose their scholarship and be kicked out of school
3) Protesting students should also be kicked out of school
YES! Fire and remove them all! There is no place for protests in our society!!!

limbarugh says that Butler's dad works for UP in omaha and made over $8 million last year. Butlers' main complaint, along with other grad students was that they had increased costs for their health insurance, which was forced on them by Obamacare. The Pres clearly didnt address the issues in a way that would have calmed the situation. (and there is no proof of a swastika)

Never did understand what the alleged poop swastika had to do with anything. How did that connect to anti-black incidents exactly? I guess it might have been aimed at black students, but if you just saw it, you might also think it was aimed at Jews.

I saw the ESPN interview and when someone asked Pinkel why he decided to join support of his players and he said that "this young man is going to die" if something wasn't done and he looked dead serious. Give me a friggen break...7 days into a hunger strike and unless you have some kind of medical condition you are not going to die for some time without food. My son is in the J School at Mizzou .
The young mans parents came to Columbia to support him and I heard they brought a sack of Runza's and a couple of Godfathers pizzas with them.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
Hahaha! Catered in chow for ol' Johnathan huh, that's too much! I'm fond of Runza's myself!

Durning John Boy's interview' he admitted "taking precautions" during his " hunger strike". I wondered if he washed down his grub with Perrier, Perigrino or simply pop?

While I think Pinkel is 100% wrong for supporting this deal, part of me understood it. He has a football team to coach and that is going to be a lot easier to do if you're players think you have their back in a situation like this. But yeah, he should get canned over it, I would have zero problem if that happened. Not like it matters, he'll get his money either way I'm assuming.

Reactions: timnsun
While I think Pinkel is 100% wrong for supporting this deal, part of me understood it. He has a football team to coach and that is going to be a lot easier to do if you're players think you have their back in a situation like this. But yeah, he should get canned over it, I would have zero problem if that happened. Not like it matters, he'll get his money either way I'm assuming.

What would have been, in the opinion of the posters in this thread, the correct response to the situation by Gary Pinkel? Let's reset:

Black players on the team are going to strike indefinitely. An on campus student has gone on hunger strike. Protests on campus have become frequent. Forfeiting even one game would cost 1 million + dollars.

Absent the presence of bias, what is the correct call, then?

What would have been, in the opinion of the posters in this thread, the correct response to the situation by Gary Pinkel?

what is the correct call, then?

Say as little as possible. When pressed, keep it on football and how you are preparing for the upcoming game. If really pressed, say how you support the players and have shared their concerns with the administration. Beyond that, pass the buck on up with a no comment.

Reactions: HuskerDana
i think i may have mentioned this on a different thread but one thing that i don't quite get is that there was this group of MU football players that were threatening a players strike if the grad student from omaha didnt end his hunger strike. think about that for a second. they werent striking because they felt that the university pres or chancellor was doing them wrong---they were striking because the grad student son of a multi million bucks a year dad we grad student was on a hunger strike. so lets just say that that the grad student started making a bunch of other silly demands before he stops his hunger strike-------i guess the football team is just going to be in lock step with him?

Pinkel is old enough to remember Lloyd Eaton, former Wyoming coach who played hardball with Black players who intended to wear black armbands to protest racism during their BYU game. I recall BYU was lily white at the time, which even for the time was unusual. The Black players quit and it destroyed a Top 20 football program, one which has never really recovered its status. When I heard about the situation, it seemed really ironic that BYU is Mizzou's next opponent, but luckily for Gary, BYU integrated years ago so at least that didn't add to the "fun."

You bring up a good point. BYU a bunch of racists for being all white. BTW, what are your feelings on all black colleges? Should they be forced to play a bunch of white guys?

Not sure if serious...

Littleton went a little far for me but I certainly agree that:

1. Pinkel should be terminated - he encouraged his players to hold the school for ransom.
2. Players involved should lose their scholarships - Sorry but when your being given a free ride you don't get to hold the school for ransom.
3. University staff - Anyone involved with organizing the protest should be terminated.
4. Protesting students - Should face no punishment unless they are found to have physically restrained or intimidated someone. We want them to be free thinkers but we also want them to know that actions have consequences. Anyone recorded restraining or intimidating anyone should be expelled from the university.

Huskerlife, thanks for understanding what I was trying to say. My post was unclear on point #3 so thanks again for stating it better than I did.

I saw the ESPN interview and when someone asked Pinkel why he decided to join support of his players and he said that "this young man is going to die" if something wasn't done and he looked dead serious. Give me a friggen break...7 days into a hunger strike and unless you have some kind of medical condition you are not going to die for some time without food. My son is in the J School at Mizzou .
The young mans parents came to Columbia to support him and I heard they brought a sack of Runza's and a couple of Godfathers pizzas with them.
They don't have a Runza resturant in Columbia

Just sayin

Grew up in Elkhorn which is about as pale as it gets in a very pale state...every time I talk to my friends we say how we wouldnt have wanted to grow up anywhere else ...from an education and opportunity standpoint....the best thing I ever did was move to Texas and now California just for the life experiences. The opportunity to interact with a myriad of people that grew up differently than I did has opened my eyes and changed my views on quite a few things. My classroom (middle school teacher) is like the united nations. English is one of many languages you are likely to hear on a daily basis and I love it. Some of the views I read on here are disheartening at the least and possibly xenophobic. I believe some need to get out of their comfort zone and see that its a big and diverse world out there and its just as easy to empathize instead of criticize those that are different.

Grew up in Elkhorn which is about as pale as it gets in a very pale state...every time I talk to my friends we say how we wouldnt have wanted to grow up anywhere else ...from an education and opportunity standpoint....the best thing I ever did was move to Texas and now California just for the life experiences. The opportunity to interact with a myriad of people that grew up differently than I did has opened my eyes and changed my views on quite a few things. My classroom (middle school teacher) is like the united nations. English is one of many languages you are likely to hear on a daily basis and I love it. Some of the views I read on here are disheartening at the least and possibly xenophobic. I believe some need to get out of their comfort zone and see that its a big and diverse world out there and its just as easy to empathize instead of criticize those that are different.
Mwulf couldn't disagree more. Grew up in Millard which at the time was as pale as Elkorn. We actually had 1 person of color in my entire graduating class (400 or so). I spent eight years in the Marine Corp and lived with individuals from every race and social circumstance you can imagine. My take is appreciate what we have in Omaha. Nebraskans are the kindest, most tolerant, group of people you will ever encounter.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and HuskerO
The number of people who are furious about something that doesn't affect them at all in this thread is ... interesting. I also love the people who have no idea what's going on there have an opinion as to how it should be handled.

And then there's this

"Never did understand what the alleged poop swastika had to do with anything. How did that connect to anti-black incidents exactly? I guess it might have been aimed at black students, but if you just saw it, you might also think it was aimed at Jews."

First of all, I'd suggest you read up on the Nazis. They weren't just anti-Jewish people. Blacks were included as part of the "mongrel races." And the protests centered racism towards "various" minorities, not just towards black students.

I grew up very much the same paleness and more than a decade or 2 ago, I saw injustices on my college campus, I became friends with more people of color and much of it did open my eyes. We were talking about my fraternity who wanted to make a transferred student who was black go through pledgeship again after he did at his other school, just because he was going to be the first black. The house was divided and so I stood up among othes and called BS on the racists but 20+ years ago and stood up for what should have been the right thing to do. He was great student, on football team (I was out of state...I didn't go to college in state of Nebraska) there were still so many unwilling opinions on things of this nature from racist upbringing.

However, all this said, what is going on now in MUCH of this recent CLAIMS of racism is a media that is jumping to the lies to propel agenda and party agendas. Ferguson Mo is perfect example. Lies are spread and low information voters remember the first thing..the lie out there not the retraction is there even is one..not usually from media. They just shotgun and rush to judgement to fulfill what they believe ....that most whites are racists..that domestic white terrorism is biggest threat not radical islamists. We have a party today and media that is complicit with going with this daily narrative and only reporting when they think it fits narrative and bury stories when it doesn't. Who are the racists and people who stereotype the most? wow. I've often found it's my white liberal friends to be honest as well as media and most of academia

We have a media and social justice groups seemingly ONLY caring if the injustice is the very rare white on black violence or injustice meanwhile 90% of all blacks are shot by other blacks. ignoring the root cause of 90% of the issues that plague so many today.

Trying to prop up the 1% and make it ...yep see...all whites or cops are like this...see. That's media driven, it's politically motivated..and IMHO, it's wrong and killing race relations.

most people I talk to have no problem addressing true injustice, but when universities media and this young black man from wealthy black self made businessman family talking about 'white privilege'? Enough already.

There are all kinds of avenues you can take today if you are truly discriminated against. You are protected there is no institutional racism..

We will never be rid of idiots of the lone wolf types who foolishly provoke and are racists but we have passed laws so that we are all protected.

Enough of acting like this is the 1950s. Enough of protecting blacks if they actually didn't follow police instructions or were swinging around a toy gun that looks like a gun. Seriously, who does this?

I have exactly 7 good friends today of African American persuasion. They have taught me plenty. But you know what, not of them mouth off to police, when they have been stopped, they don't reach for something, they don't flaunt a gun..and guess what they are still alive never been harassed or shot. They are stopped by police over their lives way more than I do but they behave well just like all of us should when we are stopped. It's not the time to behave poorly unless you want to be arrested or have death wish

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball31ne
Mwulf couldn't disagree more. Grew up in Millard which at the time was as pale as Elkorn. We actually had 1 person of color in my entire graduating class (400 or so). I spent eight years in the Marine Corp and lived with individuals from every race and social circumstance you can imagine. My take is appreciate what we have in Omaha. Nebraskans are the kindest, most tolerant, group of people you will ever encounter.

You got out and were able to see the world which is important.
I am trying to move back...while California is nice its expensive.... I realize message boards like these are a minuscule sampling of opinions when it comes to race relations I dont see a whole lot of tolerance or empathy

You do realize what you're talking about is balkanization. Which itself is a form of racism that has lead to more murders and misery than all the extremist groups in the USA combined.

BTW, could it be possible there is someone else on this board who has traveled more than you? Possibly more sheep-skins than you? Lived longer than you and in a greater variety of places? Maybe they even reside in California? Ya think it's possible?

BTW, could it be possible there is someone else on this board who has traveled more than you? Possibly more sheep-skins than you? Lived longer than you and in a greater variety of places? Maybe they even reside in California? Ya think it's possible?

I sincerely hope so..Its a big beautiful world, the more you see of it the better

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I sincerely hope so..Its a big beautiful world, the more you see of it the better

It's a wonderful world. But if you believe Christ was a historical figure and not the son of God he never traveled far from home and he had some profound insights. In this day and age with the internet you can stay in Mayberry all your life and still be a curious/well-rounded person. Of course that doesn't mean one shouldn't travel given the opportunity.

I think you and I are smart enough to know there is always someone smarter, braver, and stronger than ourselves. To forget that would be a lapse in wisdom.

The number of people who are furious about something that doesn't affect them at all in this thread is ... interesting. I also love the people who have no idea what's going on there have an opinion as to how it should be handled.

And then there's this

"Never did understand what the alleged poop swastika had to do with anything. How did that connect to anti-black incidents exactly? I guess it might have been aimed at black students, but if you just saw it, you might also think it was aimed at Jews."

First of all, I'd suggest you read up on the Nazis. They weren't just anti-Jewish people. Blacks were included as part of the "mongrel races." And the protests centered racism towards "various" minorities, not just towards black students.

My point was, IF the poop swastika existed, no one has said that they know who made it or why. The Nazis didn't like all kinds of people. You may recall that they attacked and killed a hell of a lot of Brits, French, Poles, Russians, etc. etc., and of course, most famously, the local Jews. There weren't all that many Blacks around for them to attack, but no doubt they would have gone after them too. Point was, if you are a Black at U. MO,, and you heard about a poop swastika seen somewhere on campus, with no additional information about it, why would you assume that it was aimed at your "group"?

And then there's this

So just curious 34, does it bother you to be proven so wrong when everyone your complaining about was correct?

I grew up very much the same paleness and more than a decade or 2 ago, I saw injustices on my college campus, I became friends with more people of color and much of it did open my eyes. We were talking about my fraternity who wanted to make a transferred student who was black go through pledgeship again after he did at his other school, just because he was going to be the first black. The house was divided and so I stood up among othes and called BS on the racists but 20+ years ago and stood up for what should have been the right thing to do. He was great student, on football team (I was out of state...I didn't go to college in state of Nebraska) there were still so many unwilling opinions on things of this nature from racist upbringing.

However, all this said, what is going on now in MUCH of this recent CLAIMS of racism is a media that is jumping to the lies to propel agenda and party agendas. Ferguson Mo is perfect example. Lies are spread and low information voters remember the first thing..the lie out there not the retraction is there even is one..not usually from media. They just shotgun and rush to judgement to fulfill what they believe ....that most whites are racists..that domestic white terrorism is biggest threat not radical islamists. We have a party today and media that is complicit with going with this daily narrative and only reporting when they think it fits narrative and bury stories when it doesn't. Who are the racists and people who stereotype the most? wow. I've often found it's my white liberal friends to be honest as well as media and most of academia

We have a media and social justice groups seemingly ONLY caring if the injustice is the very rare white on black violence or injustice meanwhile 90% of all blacks are shot by other blacks. ignoring the root cause of 90% of the issues that plague so many today.

Trying to prop up the 1% and make it ...yep see...all whites or cops are like this...see. That's media driven, it's politically motivated..and IMHO, it's wrong and killing race relations.

most people I talk to have no problem addressing true injustice, but when universities media and this young black man from wealthy black self made businessman family talking about 'white privilege'? Enough already.

There are all kinds of avenues you can take today if you are truly discriminated against. You are protected there is no institutional racism..

We will never be rid of idiots of the lone wolf types who foolishly provoke and are racists but we have passed laws so that we are all protected.

Enough of acting like this is the 1950s. Enough of protecting blacks if they actually didn't follow police instructions or were swinging around a toy gun that looks like a gun. Seriously, who does this?

I have exactly 7 good friends today of African American persuasion. They have taught me plenty. But you know what, not of them mouth off to police, when they have been stopped, they don't reach for something, they don't flaunt a gun..and guess what they are still alive never been harassed or shot. They are stopped by police over their lives way more than I do but they behave well just like all of us should when we are stopped. It's not the time to behave poorly unless you want to be arrested or have death wish

IMO everyone on here has a bio with anecdotal stories of injustice. Just as we have stories that include heroism. And when we're honest we all have stories where we could've asked more of ourselves. I enjoyed reading yours and say thanx for sharing it.

But imo we all need to step outside our own personal experiences and view the macro-picture.

Yes, America was born with a birth defect called slavery.
Yes, bad things have happened in America like slavery, Indian wars, Spanish war, Oriental (oh please, Asian is too broad a term) internment, women didn't get the vote till the 20th century.

But we're viewing that thru the lens of the 21st century. Slavery still exists in 2015. Our own constitution provides for it. It says people convicted of a crime can be made slaves. Look it up. You don't like the way America treats women? If you've traveled (as we've discussed ;) you'll know that women are treated better in America than in China, Japan, The Middle East, Afghanistan, Brazil, Africa, etc. You don't like how we treat Latinos, then ask yourself why so many are willing to risk death to sneak into such a hateful country? You don't like the way we treat Orientals? (I'm not bowing to the PC Crowd on this word) I don't see them shutting down traffic in every city to complain. I just see them outscoring every other demographic on tests. You don't like the way we treat Jews? You might want to call the West Wing and ask them why they view Israel as the enemy. You don't like the way we treat illegal aliens? What part of 'illegal' don't you understand? You don't like the way we treat Indians? (okay Native Americans but the ones I know prefer the word Indian) Okay, are you going to give up your home and career and move back to wherever you came from so they can have their land back? Didn't think so.

Sorry, history is one long chain of events where one tribe tries to conquer another tribe (for their resources a.k.a LAND). Get mad at Darwin if you don't like this world but evolution is ruthless and doesn't give a darn about hurt feelings. The honkeys in the northern hemisphere, for whatever reason, came up with better military technology and used it ruthlessly. If it had been the blacks; browns; reds or yellows who came up with better technology they would've done the same thing. And maybe none of them would've suffered from pangs of guilt like good old whitey. In which case the Bataan death march might've become a seasonal sporting event.

Life is radically unfair. It's only in the last 100 years that humanity has even entertained the notion that tyrants shouldn't be calling the shots. And even with that epiphany we still have 14th century kingdoms complete with rulers who find it fun to cut off heads in the public square.

This dissertation ends with the following summation. We're still monkeys, every one of us. We do live on the Planet of the Apes. Real wisdom still eludes us. Maybe we'll never get there. Maybe we're not supposed to get there. If life is hard and hellish for Salmon, Whales, Elephants, Possum, Fox's, Lions, Buffalo, Rhinoceros', Panthers, Eagles, Trees, Frogs and every other life form. Why is it supposed to be a picnic for us? The Cosmos has a message for all of us: "Buck up ya whiners, I was generous enough to give you life, I never said anything about Paradise."

Last edited:
If I were in his shoes then my issue with supporting striking football players is the message he's allowing them to take from it all. I'd want my players to move on from the crap and worry about bigger problems in life. The more people learn to just not give a damn about something the less you'll see it matter in society. Sometimes ignoring the issue does work and in this case many of the people who use it to get a rise out of or hurt others with it will diminish because their little tool of incitement will no longer be effective. I would want my players to ignore the issue and put their energy in to something more important in life.

Pinkel has always struck me as a guy that talks out of both sides of his mouth. He has made his bed here so he can deal with the consequences.
I honestly think he is just not that smart and thus inadvertently says idiotic things. Living here in KC I have heard many interviews with him where he just sounds "not so sharp".

Wow. Just read that Pinkel resigned due to health issues. I guess some people got their wish. Sounds like Missou is a sinking ship that is taking on a lot of water right now. Do they have any recruits that we could use?

GBR

Wow. Just read that Pinkel resigned due to health issues. I guess some people got their wish. Sounds like Missou is a sinking ship that is taking on a lot of water right now. Do they have any recruits that we could use?

GBR
Hate to say it but that really sounded harsh Jay....and I laughed. I'm a terrible person!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT