ADVERTISEMENT

Pickup Truck

Buy a Truckla ;) Better Mileage

Simone-Giertz-Truckla-via-Instagram.jpg

07 Honda Ridgeline 4x4 dual cab
We just had my father in law buy an '08 Ridgeline for my son's first vehicle. He's down in Arizona and is a dealer so got it at an auction for $3,200 with 210,000. That's half price of anything around here, and everything I've seen had 250,000+ on it. A couple weeks ago there was one for sale in Omaha with 450,000 on it! They seem to run forever.

I’m torn. I love my grand Cherokee. Want a truck, but don’t have a real need for one.

my son (15) wants my ‘12 GC, so I’m getting something new. Will probably either get another GC or a Ram1500

Haven't owned a pickup in years. Used to buy them cheap, fix them up, and sell for more. Started with a '76 F150 Ranger 4x4, then '80 Ford F150 4x4, and '84 Silverado 4x4. Probably the favorite was the '80 Ford due to the Holley carb. Easily the fastest of the bunch. Learned a ton working on them.

1990 Chevy half ton extended cab complete with flow through ventilation in the cab, rocker panels, and box sides. Bought it rolled in 98, fixed it up, dropped a new crate 350 in it, a couple years later at tranny. Have less than 5 grand in it and drive it every day.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Haven't owned a pickup in years. Used to buy them cheap, fix them up, and sell for more. Started with a '76 F150 Ranger 4x4, then '80 Ford F150 4x4, and '84 Silverado 4x4. Probably the favorite was the '80 Ford due to the Holley carb. Easily the fastest of the bunch. Learned a ton working on them.
Had a couple GMC grain trucks 74 and 78 both with Holley carburators on 427 engines. Had nothing but trouble with them. Seemed like you could never get them to run correctly.... usually running too rich. Finally switched over to Edelbrock. That helped. Basically was rebuilding them every year. Just got too frustrating and too expensive.

Glad to hear someone has had good luck with them.

Reactions: BigRedRising
I’m torn. I love my grand Cherokee. Want a truck, but don’t have a real need for one.

my son (15) wants my ‘12 GC, so I’m getting something new. Will probably either get another GC or a Ram1500
You can't go wrong with either one. I also had a '12 GC. Probably the best vehicle I've ever owned! Will definitely have another one eventually. Just need a truck right now.

You can't go wrong with either one. I also had a '12 GC. Probably the best vehicle I've ever owned! Will definitely have another one eventually. Just need a truck right now.
a 12 GC is way too nice for a teenager. First cars need to be POS's so kids learn the value of a nice vehicle. They also treat em like crap (or at least me and my friends did). We used to intentionally get into fender benders with eachother for fun.

Reactions: Husker Sledge
I haven’t totally ruled out just getting him a car and keeping the Jeep.

problem is he is 6’1 (And still growing) so a small car won’t be a great fit for him.

We just had my father in law buy an '08 Ridgeline for my son's first vehicle. He's down in Arizona and is a dealer so got it at an auction for $3,200 with 210,000. That's half price of anything around here, and everything I've seen had 250,000+ on it. A couple weeks ago there was one for sale in Omaha with 450,000 on it! They seem to run forever.

Yes they do that Honda motor is a beast.

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This is for man mobiles. That thing doesn't burn near enough gas to be mentioned here.

When I'm feeling daring or in a badass mood I'll switch from Evo mode to Sport mode and she'll gitty up with the best four cylinder family sedans out there. For some reason the gas mileage won't dip, though. I think it's because switching modes just makes the gas pedal more sensitive?

My 3 inches of clearance does sometimes present a problem when I'm out fishing or camping and find myself on dirt roads with big holes, or in mud. Thankfully I have all my friends in this thread to tow my ass out whenever I get stuck!

I can't roll coal, though, and that's one of my biggest regrets. I could in my 2012 Volkswagen Golf TDI (a manly manuel btw), but the communist state of California made me get rid of it.

Went from a 2016 GMC Sierra to a 2017 Ram Laramie. Much happier with the Ram and the 5.7, and felt like I got way more truck for my money. Plus made in the US unlike the previous generation crew cab Sierras/Silverados. I think I might be a Ram guy now. Thought hard about a Tundra but the engine and technology seem a little antiquated. I know they last forever, but I don't keep vehicles very long. Wife doesn't like the look of the F-150 but I'm sure it's also great.

I get 22 on the interstate and 14 to 17 in town depending on what mode I'm driving in. Sport mode eats gas like crazy!
Son is driving a 2019 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk with 6 cylinder motor. Has a little over 3000 miles on it and getting less than 15 MPG. Lot less than the window sticker said should have been

I get 22 on the interstate and 14 to 17 in town depending on what mode I'm driving in. Sport mode eats gas like crazy!
BTW, what is sport mode?? That's new to me. I'll have to Google it

Edit: Found it and will have him make sure that is not on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hizzlybear41
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT