ADVERTISEMENT

Picked up a transfer...

Be a better Mick.

I was just saying the optics are not in our favor. I’m getting comments like he couldn’t cut it at the other two schools and we are getting sloppy seconds. Keep in mind our friends who are fans of our competitors will find the smallest things to throw in those digs....even for walk ons.

In our open practice a year ago, his route running really stuck out. Looked really fluid and effortlessly got separation. He came in with 2 juniors in Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith and a redshirt freshman in Tyrone Tracy pretty much inked in as the top 3. Then redshirt freshman Nico Ragaini really caught fire and Martin was our number 5 guy.

This is literally the best Iowa receiving corps top to bottom Iowa has had in more than 40 years, so the timing couldn’t have been worse for a guy coming in and wanting to see lots of snaps after being on campus less than two months.

3 class of ‘17 former Iowa football players have a weekly podcast called the Washed Up Walkons. (Former Husker Jeremiah Sirles makes an appearance from time to time, which is neither here nor there.) One of the Washed Up Walkon guys has a younger brother on the team and he said that Martin didn’t really hang out with any Iowa players outside of practice and team events. Said he’s a nice kid, but has his own group of friends from Iowa City (where he grew up) that he hangs with. They said he has the talent, but “likes being in college more than playing football.” Iowa’s receivers coach Kelton Copeland was asked about Martin specifically on one of the Iowa radio shows and he gave the political answer, praising the older guys for the work they’ve done and basically said it’s a crowded room and the guys who produce in practice see the field during games. Take that for what it’s worth.

But now it’s Nebraska’s turn with Martin. I think he’ll be a hell of an asset if he can focus more on being a college football player and not just a college student.

I was just saying the optics are not in our favor. I’m getting comments like he couldn’t cut it at the other two schools and we are getting sloppy seconds. Keep in mind our friends who are fans of our competitors will find the smallest things to throw in those digs....even for walk ons.

Yore post started out with Iowa fans. I haven't read past that.

In our open practice a year ago, his route running really stuck out. Looked really fluid and effortlessly got separation. He came in with 2 juniors in Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith and a redshirt freshman in Tyrone Tracy pretty much inked in as the top 3. Then true freshman Nico Ragaini really caught fire and Martin was our number 5 guy.

This is literally the best Iowa receiving corps top to bottom Iowa has had in more than 40 years, so the timing couldn’t have been worse for a guy coming in and wanting to see lots of snaps after being on campus less than two months.

3 class of ‘17 former Iowa football players have a weekly podcast called the Washed Up Walkons. (Former Husker Jeremiah Sirles makes an appearance from time to time, which is neither here nor there.) One of the Washed Up Walkon guys has a younger brother on the team and he said that Martin didn’t really hang out with any Iowa players outside of practice and team events. Said he’s a nice kid, but has his own group of friends from Iowa City (where he grew up) that he hangs with. They said he has the talent, but “likes being in college more than playing football.” Iowa’s receivers coach Kelton Copeland was asked about Martin specifically on one of the Iowa radio shows and he gave the political answer, praising the older guys for the work they’ve done and basically said it’s a crowded room and the guys who produce in practice see the field during games. Take that for what it’s worth.

But now it’s Nebraska’s turn with Martin. I think he’ll be a hell of an asset if he can focus more on being a college football player and not just a college student.

Didn't read. Iowa fan.

In our open practice a year ago, his route running really stuck out. Looked really fluid and effortlessly got separation. He came in with 2 juniors in Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith and a redshirt freshman in Tyrone Tracy pretty much inked in as the top 3. Then redshirt freshman Nico Ragaini really caught fire and Martin was our number 5 guy.

I appreciate your dedication Iowa fan now go away. Welcome Martin to a team with a tradition of winning.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Well as a walk on I don't think it hurts the team if he doesn't work out BUT in any case best of luck to him. I do hope it works out for him and all the other players on the team.

So originally part of 2017 recruiting class. According to his Rivals bio, had an offer from Oregon, although Lubick was at Baylor that year, maybe there is a past connection between the two. I’m guessing Martin is going to gain a year of eligibility due to COVID, but not positive. Hope he puts in the work and lives up to his previous hype.

How are the optics not in our favor? He is walking on. He would rather pay to play at Nebraska, than get a full-ride at home town Iowa. I would say the optics are VERY bad for our friends from the East, yet again.

How are the optics not in our favor? He is walking on. He would rather pay to play at Nebraska, than get a full-ride at home town Iowa. I would say the optics are VERY bad for our friends from the East, yet again.
Don't think you can say that just yet. Let's see if we even remember who he is in two years. I don't even remember the name of our receiver that we got from the West coast as a grad transfer last year. He was to be out savior and just faded away.

Don't think you can say that just yet. Let's see if we even remember who he is in two years. I don't even remember the name of our receiver that we got from the West coast as a grad transfer last year. He was to be out savior and just faded away.
It doesn't matter, he is a walk on. It is all reward no risk, for Nebraska. And a kid preferring to pay his own way to play at Nebraska over staying on scholarship at Iowa, is not a good look for the Hawkeyes.

It doesn't matter, he is a walk on. It is all reward no risk, for Nebraska. And a kid preferring to pay his own way to play at Nebraska over staying on scholarship at Iowa, is not a good look for the Hawkeyes.
Exactly this. Even if we don’t remember his name in 2 years what have we lost? How does that reflect poorly against us? On the other hand, if he blows up, the ceiling is very high moving forward... we will have taken someone who didn’t succeed at Michigan or Iowa and turned him into a player.

I’m failing to see the negative in this...

Here is Mike Farrells take on him from an article done on him this morning....

FARRELL'S TAKE
"Martin is an interesting prospect because he was a terrific route runner and set up defenders well out of high school and had adequate speed. This would be stop No. 3 for him which is puzzling and there are question marks but his ability is there and then opportunity at Nebraska is a really good one. They need impact wide receivers and he can play right away..” National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell

Impact Rating: 7.4 out of 10

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/tr...-oliver-martin-lands-at-nebraska?ga_source=cm

Last edited:
This one was weird for Iowa. He caught the first TD pass of the season last year. Was targeted for a back shoulder throw early in the game against Michigan. Then nothing. Rumors of being hurt, dog house, you name it. The emergence of Tyrone Tracy could have had something to do with it too.

As Flick stated, Iowa is stacked at the top of the WR depth chart. But playing time was only going to increase in 2021 so I’m not sure playing time is the factor.

He could be a Jordan Westerkamp lite if he hits his potential.

To me it means he got beat out at Michigan and Iowa and really doesn't like to compete.

And he’s a walk on.....so none of that matters. It is literally a win/win for us. No matter how you or anyone spins this, we won’t lose with Martin. If he doesn’t pan out, so what....he was a walk on. We lost nothing giving him a chance.

But now, if he lives up to his potential, then the Huskers have a chance to hit a home run here and all it cost us was a walk on spot.

Last edited:
This one was weird for Iowa. He caught the first TD pass of the season last year. Was targeted for a back shoulder throw early in the game against Michigan. Then nothing. Rumors of being hurt, dog house, you name it. The emergence of Tyrone Tracy could have had something to do with it too.

As Flick stated, Iowa is stacked at the top of the WR depth chart. But playing time was only going to increase in 2021 so I’m not sure playing time is the factor.

He could be a Jordan Westerkamp lite if he hits his potential.

It will be interesting. Nebraska doesn't have the proven, top end WR Iowa does, but there is a ton of young talent. He will have to be pretty good to beat out guys like Manning, Betts, Flemming, Brown from last years class.

he is a good kid actually and I wish him well. But it’s really sloppy thirds now.

It will be interesting. Nebraska doesn't have the proven, top end WR Iowa does, but there is a ton of young talent. He will have to be pretty good to beat out guys like Manning, Betts, Flemming, Brown from last years class.
Right. Another reason that makes me think the moves aren’t for playing time. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

What have you won? Wouldn't exactly call the last 2 decades of Husker football a tradition of winning, right?

It really depends how you look at it. The last 10 years alone the Huskers have 75 wins to Iowa’s 81...and that’s with the last 3 years being 4-8, 4-8 and 5-7 and there is only a 6 game difference in that 10 year run.

When you look at the last 2 decades, the Huskers have a better win/lose record then Iowa and I am quite sure the Huskers have won more division titles and been to more conference championships then Iowa. So there is that.

Nonetheless, that has nothing to do with this thread. It’s about Oliver Martin walking on as a Husker. Great addition for the Huskers.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
It really depends how you look at it. The last 10 years alone the Huskers have 75 wins to Iowa’s 81...and that’s with the last 3 years being 4-8, 4-8 and 5-7 and there is only a 6 game difference in that 10 year run.

When you look at the last 2 decades, the Huskers have a better win/lose record then Iowa and I am quite sure the Huskers have won more division titles and been to more conference championships then Iowa. So there is that.

Nonetheless, that has nothing to do with this thread. It’s about Oliver Martin walking on as a Husker. Great addition for the Huskers.
So you are saying at our worst we have still been better than Iowa at their best? And they are still here talking shit? That’s is pretty pathetic

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT