ADVERTISEMENT

Phillip Montgomery as QB coach?

TTown Tom

Walk On
Dec 5, 2022
Any chance Rhule would look at former Baylor OC/ QB coach and former head Tulsa coach Phillip Montgomery? He had some stellar qbs at Baylor, knows TX and OK high schools, and is looking for a job.

He coached a Heisman winner in RGIII. He recruited and coached Case Kennum at Houston and Bryce Petty (Big XII offensive player of the year) at Baylor.

Would Rhule want to stay away because of the mess he had to clean up at Baylor? Supposedly Monty wasn't privy to any of it.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Any chance Rhule would look at former Baylor OC/ QB coach and former head Tulsa coach Phillip Montgomery? He had some stellar qbs at Baylor, knows TX and OK high schools, and is looking for a job.

He coached a Heisman winner in RGIII. He recruited and coached Case Kennum at Houston and Bryce Petty (Big XII offensive player of the year) at Baylor.

Would Rhule want to stay away because of the mess he had to clean up at Baylor? Supposedly Monty wasn't privy to any of it.
Highly unlikely

We probably need to fill these jobs pretty soon with signing day coming up. If we’re serious about taking a transfer QB it would be important

Reactions: jsachisler
We probably need to fill these jobs pretty soon with signing day coming up. If we’re serious about taking a transfer QB it would be important
Obviously that would be ideal but I think as long as you have the coordinators in place, it's likely to be fine.

Reactions: ssmill777
Yes, I am. My analysis of the roster depth at that position doesn't necessitate a transfer at the point.
I'm more interested why you say Montgomery is highly unlikely. I've talked with him a number of times but don't know him. Howeve his experience, temperament, and success with qbs make it seem like he would be a good fit.

Last edited:
Sounding like Auburn is making a play for Montgomery as OC. I'm guessing that is the direction he will go. It makes sense except for the fact that there is no way I would want to tie myself to Hugh Freeze. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm more interested why you say Montgomery is highly unlikely. I've talked with him a number of times but don't know him. Howeve his experience, temperament, and success with qbs make it seem like he would be a good fit.
Is this the old Tulsa Tom?

Reactions: rchrisreade
I think the OC will go back to being QB coach

Then Probably a WR/TE combo coach

Or

a WR coach with second OL that handles TE's

I apologize for these lower level Recruiting Analysts. Ever since the accreditation went to the online format, these jackasses can now just print a certificate and call themselves experts.
All of us here really aren’t worthy of your presence. You really should find other peers worthy of your astute recruiting background and acumen.

Reactions: huntered

I had some good connections to the SE that assured me he wouldn't be coming to Nebraska

I'm pretty sure your connection is me since I said he was going to Auburn as the OC two days ago.

You may want quicker scoops in the future.
Tulsa Tom! I recall you from years back.
Still carrying a torch for Mitch Mustain? You sure were a good sport about all the grief you took for that one.
PS. Nice burn on this joker who claims to be a recruiting analyst. You still got it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT