ADVERTISEMENT

PFF ranks every OL last year (yikes!)

Captain Nick

Sophomore
Jul 22, 2008
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

It doesn't matter who's at QB/RB/WR if we don't see drastic improvement next year.

93. NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS
Highest-graded player: OT Brenden Jaimes – 72.5 (84th)
Nebraska's offensive line did a good job of limiting the number of times their quarterback was put on the ground, as they combined to allow the 27th-fewest sacks and hits. They ranked 60th in pass-blocking grade as a unit but were undone by the fact that they ranked 113th in the run game.

Reactions: Bold Words
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-130-college-football-offensive-line-situations

It doesn't matter who's at QB/RB/WR if we don't see drastic improvement next year.

93. NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS
Nebraska's offensive line did a good job of limiting the number of times their quarterback was put on the ground, as they combined to allow the 27th-fewest sacks and hits. They ranked 60th in pass-blocking grade as a unit but were undone by the fact that they ranked 113th in the run game.
113th and finished 3rd in rushing in the Big.
Love to see the season splits.

93. NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS

Louisiana Ragin Cajin Community college #9 ? Something is very wrong with this ranking.

113th and finished 3rd in rushing in the Big.
Love to see the season splits.

Yeah that’s odd. Regardless of the details or complete accuracy of the ranking, it shows we got a lot of room for improvement up front.
I think it will absolutely improve now that the same line returns with experience and there may be a youth movement pushing for starting jobs. Real competition will make the line far better.

Reactions: dckchusker
These rankings are laughable.

Northwestern had the second worst offensive line in the Big Ten in 2019. They came in at #45.
Northern Illinois couldn't do anything offensively all season, and they're in the top 65.

Illinois, which struggled all season in pass pro, made the top 15.

Pro Football Focus is trash at the college level.

These rankings are laughable.

Northwestern had the second worst offensive line in the Big Ten in 2019. They came in at #45.
Northern Illinois couldn't do anything offensively all season, and they're in the top 65.

Illinois, which struggled all season in pass pro, made the top 15.

Pro Football Focus is trash at the college level.

It’s trash on the Pro level also. I stopped looking at them when the Browns went 0-16 yet they had the 13th best line, and mid pack offensively. Proves stats by themselves are meaningless

Reactions: Cornicator
How can you be 6th best offensive line when you rank 97th out of 130 teams in rushing and 10th in the B1G...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornicator
not saying we have a bunch of all conference guys, because we don't, but our OL is clearly at least in the upper half of CFB. Go watch a Miami game if you want to see some horrendous OL play.

Reactions: TOMHP
Louisiana Ragin Cajin Community college #9 ? Something is very wrong with this ranking.

The Huskers O-line played against Big10 D-lines, UL-Lafayette did not.

It would be a mistake to believe that the article was ranking O-lines specifically that ULL's O-line was better than Nebraska's O-line.

They just did better statistically against the teams they played than did Nebraska.

That is the only thing you should take from the ranking.

Go Blue!

So what we were 3rd in the conference in rushing. Team went 5-6 and people on here are honestly trying to find reasons the OL we knew was not good was better than a ranking that says it's not good.

Yeah I'm sure these guys whose careers are based on watching and rating the play of football players don't know as well as a handful of message board posters whether some guys played pretty great football last year or not.

Reactions: oldjar07
These rankings are garbage. Most of our major woes last year were due to turnovers by Adrian and play calling. I honestly didn’t think there were that many games where our O-line was terrible. Dedrick was able to gash a great Wisconsin defense in a game where we decided we should throw the ball more with our struggling QB...Take into account that bad reads by Adrian always make the line look bad. Our line is not the problem. They could be better (as is true with every position) but they were constantly put in positions to fail.

So what we were 3rd in the conference in rushing. Team went 5-6 and people on here are honestly trying to find reasons the OL we knew was not good was better than a ranking that says it's not good.

Yeah I'm sure these guys whose careers are based on watching and rating the play of football players don't know as well as a handful of message board posters whether some guys played pretty great football last year or not.
My point was, when we gained more yards on wiscy than anyone that wiscy played, which includes osu twice, and played well from that game on, doing a season splt, there's no way we played in the 90s during that stretch, Big or not.

The Huskers O-line played against Big10 D-lines, UL-Lafayette did not.

It would be a mistake to believe that the article was ranking O-lines specifically that ULL's O-line was better than Nebraska's O-line.

They just did better statistically against the teams they played than did Nebraska.

That is the only thing you should take from the ranking.

Go Blue!

Nebraska played the #2, #3, #4, and #6, ranked rush defenses in the Big Ten. That's 4 teams in the top half of the league:

Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, and Minnesota.

The Huskers averaged 200 yards per game vs. those opponents (801 yards total). They literally surpassed or easily surpassed every one of those teams rush defense averages.

Nebraska allowed 28 sacks. That's not great, but its still top half in the Big Ten, and only 5 more than Iowa.

21% of the rushing yards surrendered by Wisconsin in 2019 were in one game: to Nebraska.

Your point is inaccurate.

Nebraska's offensive line was not good early in the season with a new Center who had never played the position and a walk on LG with no experience. But they improved immensely, and this rating is laughable.

Illinois gave up 40 sacks and only averaged 3.8 yards per carry. But they're top 15 in the country? That's absurd.

You should sit this one out chief.

Our offensive line sucked last year. I think these rankings are dumb generally, but our ranking in this one looks pretty accurate. Our ability to gain yards is more due to Frost's scheme than the performance of the Oline. All it takes is two eyeballs and a brain to realize our OL play was bad for most of the year.

Our offensive line sucked last year. I think these rankings are dumb generally, but our ranking in this one looks pretty accurate. Our ability to gain yards is more due to Frost's scheme than the performance of the Oline. All it takes is two eyeballs and a brain to realize our OL play was bad for most of the year.
Yea, we just got lucky against wiscy and Maryland and iowa etc. Its also why we ran more than Bo's teams, easy target to outdo.

Last I checked, we lost against Wisconsin and Iowa.
And? Osu lost to clemson, they suck too? Bet they had more than one rb, two wrs.
Just show me all the sophomores that helped us this year?
Look, this is a build, its coming along, maybe not as fast as even the coaches want, but things have changed,the roster is shaping up.
To lay it on our lines when I can give you wr numbers that just stink, where we had to use a wingback as a rb because of Mo, we have 40 of 85 scholly guys that are redshirt frosh or true frosh, almost half of them are 4 stars.
That was the plan, red shirt the guys. Our O line might get shook up with potentially three new guys, depending on how good Corcoran is, or possibly a couple others. But, the O line played well game 9 on.

Reactions: bshirt73
Nebraska played the #2, #3, #4, and #6, ranked rush defenses in the Big Ten. That's 4 teams in the top half of the league:

The Huskers averaged 200 yards per game vs. those opponents (801 yards total). They literally surpassed or easily surpassed every one of those teams rush defense averages.

Nebraska allowed 28 sacks. That's not great, but its still top half in the Big Ten, and only 5 more than Iowa.

21% of the rushing yards surrendered by Wisconsin in 2019 were in one game: to Nebraska.

Nebraska's offensive line was not good early in the season with a new Center who had never played the position and a walk on LG with no experience. But they improved immensely, and this rating is laughable.

Illinois gave up 40 sacks and only averaged 3.8 yards per carry. But they're top 15 in the country? That's absurd.
Citing Ohio State and Minnesota as games that made our oline look good is a joke. Against Ohio State we didn’t even hit 100 total yards until we were down 40+ points at the end of the third quarter and anyone who watched a single snap in the first half saw our line get destroyed. Against Minnesota our leading rusher was our qb who hardly averaged 3 yards a carry and the team as a whole averaged 3.5 ypc which was below their average given up. While those games were competitive our oline was a huge liability. They also gave up four sacks in both games and we scored a total of 14 points in 120 minutes of competition. I’m not trying to say our oline is the source of all of our problems but they are not good enough to compete with good teams and until that gets fixed we aren’t beating good teams consistently. I agree they improved as the year went along so maybe this year with more experience and some young talent getting older they can continue to improve but the product last year was not good.

Reactions: oldjar07
Citing Ohio State and Minnesota as games that made our oline look good is a joke. Against Ohio State we didn’t even hit 100 total yards until we were down 40+ points at the end of the third quarter and anyone who watched a single snap in the first half saw our line get destroyed. Against Minnesota our leading rusher was our qb who hardly averaged 3 yards a carry and the team as a whole averaged 3.5 ypc which was below their average given up. While those games were competitive our oline was a huge liability. They also gave up four sacks in both games and we scored a total of 14 points in 120 minutes of competition. I’m not trying to say our oline is the source of all of our problems but they are not good enough to compete with good teams and until that gets fixed we aren’t beating good teams consistently. I agree they improved as the year went along so maybe this year with more experience and some young talent getting older they can continue to improve but the product last year was not good.
So, all that and no mention of wiscy?

How about iowa?
I know I've been saying starting the wiscy game.

They played well in at least one game. They definitely improved. I’m saying everyone who is incredulous they graded out poorly last year seems to forget every almost other game.
They almost out rushed wiscy, rb to rb, and almost doubled up iowas average.Close to doubling up Maryland too.

And the 2010 Chargers were the only team to have the #1 and #1 defense in NFL history and they didn't make the playoffs. Special teams is as important as those other two categories and our special teams were the worst in the nation. Our line was much improved throughout the year and if we could punt, kick field goals, and return and cover kicks were probably win 8 games.

And the 2010 Chargers were the only team to have the #1 and #1 defense in NFL history and they didn't make the playoffs. Special teams is as important as those other two categories and our special teams were the worst in the nation. Our line was much improved throughout the year and if we could punt, kick field goals, and return and cover kicks were probably win 8 games.
It can't get worse, but it can get a whole lot better.

The O-lines were ranked against a broad set of metrics and their performance in those categories had everything to do with whom they played.

Had Nebraska played ULL's schedule they would have undoubtedly been ranked higher. Had ULL played Nebraska's schedule they would have undoubtedly been ranked lower.

The article makes no pretense of saying one O-line is better than another only that some scored out better than others. As such one should not infer that the authors were telling us that ULL's O-line was better than Nebraska's.

That was my point.

Go Blue!

And? Osu lost to clemson, they suck too? Bet they had more than one rb, two wrs.
Just show me all the sophomores that helped us this year?
Look, this is a build, its coming along, maybe not as fast as even the coaches want, but things have changed,the roster is shaping up.
To lay it on our lines when I can give you wr numbers that just stink, where we had to use a wingback as a rb because of Mo, we have 40 of 85 scholly guys that are redshirt frosh or true frosh, almost half of them are 4 stars.
That was the plan, red shirt the guys. Our O line might get shook up with potentially three new guys, depending on how good Corcoran is, or possibly a couple others. But, the O line played well game 9 on.

Exactly! Well stated Northwood.

Yes, they were horrible for almost 3/4 of the season but then they came on quite strong against some damn good defenses.

You betcha. Our special team's outrageously horrible play was a killer for us. Maybe there was a worse special team somewhere but I never saw it.

You betcha. Our special team's outrageously horrible play was a killer for us. Maybe there was a worse special team somewhere but I never saw it.
And this we know, it will get better. The kickers, the punters, the gunners etc. More speed is here, experience if nothing else as well.
I see upgrades at every position, even at TE where Hickson wont be pulled to wr because we wont need him there,and can concentrate at TE.
D lines not a worry, but may be the only place we regress.

But our O line is shaping up with depth, it's been awhile to say that

And this we know, it will get better. The kickers, the punters, the gunners etc. More speed is here, experience if nothing else as well.
I see upgrades at every position, even at TE where Hickson wont be pulled to wr because we wont need him there,and can concentrate at TE.
D lines not a worry, but may be the only place we regress.

But our O line is shaping up with depth, it's been awhile to say that

Haha.....a truly monster sized under-statement. While they'll still be only a small fraction compared to our 70s, 80s & 90s pipelines it'll still be a huge upgrade. HCSF has us getting back to what we so desperately need. It'll take awhile but his direction is 100% on the money. Especially for playing in the Big10.

Yes, our special teams coming around to even average would help boatloads (to say the least). Imo, that should be priority #1 by a country mile.

Yeah, I too don't know what our DLine will do but everywhere else is quite possibly improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT