ADVERTISEMENT

People need to be patient with Rhule …..

“Look at illinois”

Lol there are a lot of very stupid people who post here & know nothing about football

Illinois beat nobody this year en route to 7/8 wins. They’ll be back in the toilet next year because -surprise, surprise - they didn’t “turn around” anything
Actually Illinois’ success is due to a decision made by Lovie a couple years back when he recruited a strong class and basically went youth across the board. Those same players stuck around and started to develop together. I think Bielema’s style also was a perfect fit.

I give him a first year transition bye, then he better show some serious shit by the end of the 2nd year.
I’ll lay out expectations now… bowl game in year 2 at the latest. A 10 win season in year 4 or earlier…. Or at least three 8 win seasons by year 4… or at least one 11+ year season year 5 or earlier

like with Callahan, there is stuff to like about Rhule

I'm big on intangibles, especially when it comes to leadership. somebody said it elsewhere but I think it deserves more mention: there is a chance Rhule is embarrassed by his results in CAR. like, personally embarrassed. and there are people who have actual pride and character who are driven by those types of things.

I hope Rhule is red-ass pissed & ready to prove something to everybody on the planet the second he sets foot in North Stadium
He is a coach. Have you ever met or heard of a coach who wasn't super competitive? For him, I believe, it is like starting over in the college game but now with more experience to fall back on. That is what he will rely on, not his emotions of failing at Carolina. He will be a disaster if he thinks this way.

Last edited:
Sadly, I think I'm with you. This hire gives me very much the same feeling to me as Riley and Callahan.

Perhaps I was naive to expect more with this hire. Reading the ESPN article makes me even more nervous:

"One of the things that drew me to it is knowing that Scott had been there for the last several years," Rhule said. "Scott Frost is a coach that I truly respect and consider a friend."

Yikes.
This is a perfect example of what I’ve been trying to tell everyone but no one wants to acknowledge… This guy is just saying what everyone wants to hear and is blowing smoke up everyones Ass!

It’s not hard to see it if you have any street smarts at all. Unfortunately we have to draw a map and spell it out for everyone over here. This was another lmao article I read this morning.

On another note, I’m really interested in hearing what some of our All-American players think about the hire. I tried looking on their twitter accounts but didn’t see any mention of the new hire.

It would be nice to hear the opinion's of the Wistroms, Peters, Suhs and Fraziers of the world… anyone seen anything regarding their opinion?

Reactions: NikkiSixx
This is a perfect example of what I’ve been trying to tell everyone but no one wants to acknowledge… This guy is just saying what everyone wants to hear and is blowing smoke up everyones Ass!

It’s not hard to see it if you have any street smarts at all. Unfortunately we have to draw a map and spell it out for everyone over here. This was another lmao article I read this morning.

On another note, I’m really interested in hearing what some of our All-American players think about the hire. I tried looking on their twitter accounts but didn’t see any mention of the new hire.

It would be nice to hear the opinion's of the Wistroms, Peters, Suhs and Fraziers of the world… anyone seen anything regarding their opinion?
Idgaf what ex players have to say. Loved how the search went. Happy with the end result. Does it work out? I don't know. No coach is automatically successful. But Trev targeted his guy and got him. People need to relax. He has not even had a press conference yet.

Doubt that the AA players you mention would rip the new coach, most of them never took much time to rip frost in his 4 1/2 years.

Didn’t read the thread, but discussing patience before we know the roster is pretty damn silly. Let’s talk about patience if it’s necessary.

I couldn’t care less what they think. Or Tom Osborne. Their positive impact on this program ended decades ago. We need to move forward, not look back.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC
This is the transfer portal NIL era. You should be able to turn a program around in 2 years.

It all hinges on if Rhule can assemble a BIG quality staff that can recruit and coach their asses off.

I hope they open up the checkbook for a high level staff.

He is a class act that will turn things around the right way. He has his work cut out for him because of the debacle left by the last couple of coaching hires. It is not going to happen overnight ala Baylor but I expect steady incremental improvement with accountability, toughness and organization.
Low expectations is what got us in this mess in the first place. I think Rhule is competent and will hire a good staff, and I expect things to turn around quickly. There's no reason it can't happen with the transfer portal.

Reactions: dand84
We went 2-26 in one score games under Frost/MJ? The 2 both MJ. How much time does Rhule really need? We had 4 wins this year and probably should have had 6+. I think a bare min expectation is 6 wins and a bowl.

Reactions: BringItOnHome
He is a class act that will turn things around the right way. He has his work cut out for him because of the debacle left by the last couple of coaching hires. It is not going to happen overnight ala Baylor but I expect steady incremental improvement with accountability, toughness and organization.
The guy hasn't even coached a down for us and your already calling for patience? Weird.

Reactions: bshirt73
This is for all the crybabies. I never realized there were so many teenaged girls on this forum. Have some emotional control you whiny babies.
pacifier-1413806.jpg

The guy hasn't even coached a down for us and your already calling for patience? Weird.
Coaches all over the countey are turning a program around in 1 year. And we want to be patience with Matt? He is being paid a fortune to do this. He better win NOW. This mentality is why this shitty program is in the position that it is. You are getting paid. Turn this shit around. Not 5 years from now. NOW! like a shitload of the other coaches are doing. Apparently Nebraska needs more time. Pussy mentality and that is why Neb is where they are at. Freaking poorly managed pussies.

Why would their opinion matter more? They played here 30 years ago!!
Enough with the 90s husker crap!

Reactions: dand84 and OzzyLvr
Barring a mass exodus of players in the portal. If the Online is prioritized and even improved marginally I would expect a bowl game in year one. They have a nice core of young players. A better oline and if Ajay stays and is back and healthy. And better game management I don't see any reason a bowl game wouldn't be expected.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We might as well go totally irrational and expect Rhule to win back to back nattys in his first two years. Once is just a fluke. He needs to prove it a second year and win by at least 40 points in the championship game to prove he is aggressive and not go super conservative when ahead.

Why would their opinion matter more? They played here 30 years ago!!
Enough with the 90s husker crap!
No one is saying their opinion matters more. But it would be interesting to know what the greatest players who ever wore the uniform here and helped build this place think about the hire.

Yeah, they matter.

Plus, I’m sure they still have connections to people in the league and could probably shed more light on what this guy is really all about.

To see them not even acknowledge the hire says a lot!

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Regardless of how the legends of yesteryear feel, I hope they say only positive things, or keep their stupid mouths shut. The tradition coalition has sabotaged the program since 2002 because they couldn't keep the sand out of their vaginas about one thing or another. It has hurt recruiting, it has hurt team unity, and hit has irreparably damaged the reputation of te
This is for all the crybabies. I never realized there were so many teenaged girls on this forum. Have some emotional control you whiny babies.
Seriously. The ones thinking Urban Meyer or Jon Gruden were coming to Lincoln are even more delusional than Texas fans, and that is really saying something. Lincoln is the single-worst Power Five location due to its low population and lack of proximity to any recruiting hotbed. Why would any coach come to Lincoln when jobs in Florida, Texas, and California open up every single year?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
No one is saying their opinion matters more. But it would be interesting to know what the greatest players who ever wore the uniform here and helped build this place think about the hire.

Yeah, they matter.

Plus, I’m sure they still have connections to people in the league and could probably shed more light on what this guy is really all about.

The mob is stupid, always has been, always will be.. let them have their cake.. the pain will come soon enough, and then tell them, I 'effin told you so.

Reactions: OAHU-SKER
Coaches all over the countey are turning a program around in 1 year. And we want to be patience with Matt? He is being paid a fortune to do this. He better win NOW. This mentality is why this shitty program is in the position that it is. You are getting paid. Turn this shit around. Not 5 years from now. NOW! like a shitload of the other coaches are doing. Apparently Nebraska needs more time. Pussy mentality and that is why Neb is where they are at. Freaking poorly managed pussies.
9 effing million dollars a year, for 8 m. f. years.

but let's be patient. lol

Maybe these old players don't know Rhule personally and don't want to comment on somebody that don't know anything about. Not seeing them comment on this means nothing to me. I would rather hear from players on his former college teams about what they think of him then someone who has never met him.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
You still going to whine like a bitch when he does win?

Several factors will go into Rhule being able to put together a winning season next year.

1. Hiring top shelf assistants who can coach and recruit their asses off.
2. Developing great chemistry with the players
3. Keeping Thompson in the fold or, if Thompson bolts, get a really solid transfer portal QB. Heck, even if we keep Thompson we need depth at that position.
4. Improving the play of the offensive line.
5. Putting together a great NIL package for this cycle and bringing in some key new players. Would love to see us get a few new offensive and defensive lineman.
6. Putting together a solid top 30 recruiting class this year, if not higher.

Doing all of those things is a tall order so yes, we need to be patient. But I am optimistic!
Improving Oline play should #2 on your list. Then Develop that chemistry.

This isn’t directed at you but it boggles my mind how few people today realize football games are won and lost in the trenches. That Michigan game yesterday was a thing of beauty. Urban Meyer said afterward that it was 100 years of football on display.

You can have all the 4* and 5* kids you want, you can throw it around the yard 50+ times a game, but at the end of the day it’s all about dominating the LOS. Period.

Hopefully Rhule can do that.

Agree. Watched Frost's first couple years of coaching and recruiting and could tell then --- this guy just doesn't get it. It all starts at the LOS.
Especially in the Big Ten. By the time we left the Big XII, it was a pass-happy conference where teams threw on 3rd and short. The Big Ten, especially the West, still is about power. Nebraska has gotten pushed around since the moment it joined the conference.

Reactions: nu2u
Especially in the Big Ten. By the time we left the Big XII, it was a pass-happy conference where teams threw on 3rd and short. The Big Ten, especially the West, still is about power. Nebraska has gotten pushed around since the moment it joined the conference.
In the East, I would say that Harbaugh and Franklin are power run disciples. Both those schools - MIchigan and Penn State - have had plenty AA linemen and RBs over the years. They aren't old school Schembechler, more balanced than that, but definitely a smash mouth run-first approach.

Reactions: BleedRed78
No, we don’t need to be patient. He either recruits, or he doesn’t. We’ll know by February.

Beyond that, he has the exact same pedigree as Riley and HCSF, turning around failing programs in crap conferences (or lesser conferences), where good coaching of 3-star talent can work. It can’t/won’t work in the Big 10. We have a TALENT problem. Have for a decade. What’s our average recruiting rank? It ain’t in the top 25.

Such is life. I’m sorry it’s not fair but people aren’t going to waste Saturdays for dam near a decade hoping things finally turn around. The stadium is already looking more empty every game.

College kids eventually would rather drink and have fun then to watch their school get their ass handed to them in a stadium that doesn’t sell beer. And they didn’t grow up in a time where Nebraska football was great.

It’s down to old folks and yes, some are getting inpatient. Hell there were many Saturdays this year where I looked at my little 2 year old daughter and thought “why the **** did I watch Nebraska football on this beautiful day vs making this day about you”… more and more people don’t want to do it anymore. Some will always be there. But it’s really fading. He has to take us to a bowl year 1 or you’ll see a massive drop in fan support. You can’t expect people to wait 8-9 years for a bowl.

And yes it’s not Rhule’s fault but he took the money, it’s now his problem
IMO he’ll be walking in to a much better situation at NU than he did at a temple or Baylor. I think he’ll go bowling next year.

Regardless of how the legends of yesteryear feel, I hope they say only positive things, or keep their stupid mouths shut. The tradition coalition has sabotaged the program since 2002 because they couldn't keep the sand out of their vaginas about one thing or another. It has hurt recruiting, it has hurt team unity, and hit has irreparably damaged the reputation of te

Seriously. The ones thinking Urban Meyer or Jon Gruden were coming to Lincoln are even more delusional than Texas fans, and that is really saying something. Lincoln is the single-worst Power Five location due to its low population and lack of proximity to any recruiting hotbed. Why would any coach come to Lincoln when jobs in Florida, Texas, and California open up every single year?
BS, there's a reason we've had historical success here, and it's because we actually have a surprising amount of locational benefits.

He needs to plug some holes but won’t need to flip the whole roster IMO. Couple of O linemen. QB maybe 2 d linemen and a backer or 2. Stud TE on his way already.
We’re a lot further away than ‘a couple players’. Played a lot of games this year with teams better at EVERY POSITION. Yeah there’s development, but we’re not gonna ‘develop’ past a certain point. Speed can’t be ‘developed’, much. Intelligence sure as hell can’t. We have a talent problem, across the board, IMHO.

And bear in mind this does NOT equate other conferences. This is in comparison to other Big 10 teams

ADVERTISEMENT