ADVERTISEMENT

People are underestimating economic impact

huskerfan1414

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2014
In these debates, people are overlooking the economic impact. It has been mentioned but needs close inspection.

Lincoln will lose millions of dollars. Even with limited attendance, bars and restaurants and hotels would have been busy, as well as travel.

In the past year, Omaha will have lost the following:
-NCAA tournament
-US Olympic swim trials
-NCAA CWS
-NCAA Vball final four
-Money related to football (bars, restaurants, airport, hotels, travel...)

-It doesn’t make much sense to cancel sports but keep schools open considering players would be safer in team environment. This is unanimously agreed upon. Presidents have to know this.
-Liability is debated...but, couldnt schools be sued if covid spreads on campus? Teams can still lift and have practice..isnt this also the same thing? And we all know its impossible to prove where one caught a virus.
-We dont even need to begin on the debate regarding whether or not this virus is as bad as the media is making it seem, we’ll go in circles.

Anyway, when you factor in the above economic impact and all who will be affected by it (business owners, workers, tenants, landlords, banks, on and on) it could be said that NU has an obligation to seek all alternatives to try to play this fall, even if it means leaving the B1G.

Im not saying NU would be welcomed by another conference or teams, but in my opinion they damned well better try.

We are in for a world of hurt, and its much more than simply not being able to watch football.

In these debates, people are overlooking the economic impact. It has been mentioned but needs close inspection.

Lincoln will lose millions of dollars. Even with limited attendance, bars and restaurants and hotels would have been busy, as well as travel.

-NCAA tournament
-US Olympic swim trials
-NCAA CWS
-NCAA Vball final four

-It doesn’t make much sense to cancel sports but keep schools open considering players would be safer in team environment. This is unanimously agreed upon. Presidents have to know this.
-Liability is debated...but, couldnt schools be sued if covid spreads on campus? Teams can still lift and have practice..isnt this also the same thing? And we all know its impossible to prove where one caught a virus.
-We dont even need to begin on the debate regarding whether or not this virus is as bad as the media is making it seem, we’ll go in circles.

Anyway, when you factor in the above economic impact and all who will be affected by it (business owners, workers, tenants, landlords, banks, on and on) it could be said that NU has an obligation to seek all alternatives to try to play this fall, even if it means leaving the B1G.

Im not saying NU would be welcomed by another conference or teams, but in my opinion they damned well better try.

We are in for a world of hurt, and its much more than simply not being able to watch football.

The only issue is, there's no guarantee of revenue elsewhere. We might play a game and shut down. Lawyers are probably still trying to figure out how much, if any, of the money we make we can keep.

If we're going nuclear to save Lincoln, I think the admin will want to be sure there's a pot of gold that rises from the ashes. Otherwise we just f'd Lincoln and the Uni for nothing.

The only issue is, there's no guarantee of revenue elsewhere. We might play a game and shut down. Lawyers are probably still trying to figure out how much, if any, of the money we make we can keep.

If we're going nuclear to save Lincoln, I think the admin will want to be sure there's a pot of gold that rises from the ashes. Otherwise we just f'd Lincoln and the Uni for nothing.
Thanks for the take.

Theres no guarantees anywhere in life, are there?

Thanks for the take.

Theres no guarantees anywhere in life, are there?

No but I think this deafening silence is the Uni making sure it explores likely outcomes before they just annihilate themselves over a handful of home games.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that much of a crowd is going to happen if they play in the fall. The same may be true in the spring, but there is probably a chance that there will be sizable crowds in the spring vs little to no chance in the fall.

Would the university and the local restaurants bars rather have little to no crowds now vs a chance at having crowds in the spring.

Again, nothing is guaranteed, but I just don't see anybody having any sizable crowds for a sporting event within the next 60 days.

Reactions: Wordyginters

Thats the thing. I am all for leaving the BIG10 if it mean we can play. The issue becomes we don't know if we sacrifice the BIG10, that we will even be able to play as other conferences could end up shutting it down too. So now we would be out of the BIG10 and still end up with no season. Unfortunately I think we are stuck, we have to stay in the BIG10.

Reactions: Seascout3
If economic consequences caused by not playing this Fall requires an obligation to seek alternatives in order to mitigate financial losses this season, it seems to me that one would be equally obligated to examine the long term financial consequences associated with any alternative considered.

With the possible exception of joining the SEC this year (virtually impossible) I don't see an alternative that doesn't result in significant long term losses for Nebraska.

No football is going to be devastating to the Lincoln economy. Im guessing hundreds of millions lost. Im wondering how much this is factoring into the decision my the university to go against the BIG10 and play. One could argue we would be the hardest hit.

No football is going to be devastating to the Lincoln economy. Im guessing hundreds of millions lost.
That seems like a wild guess. How did you get that number? I mean, can you be more precise?

Last edited:

-NCAA tournament
-US Olympic swim trials
-NCAA CWS
-NCAA Vball final four

I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you say, but you kinda just blow by the liability potential. If, God forbid, just one player gets sick to the point of hospitalization or death, the multi-million dollar lawsuit will be on file by noon the next day. At that point, the debate about liability really doesn't matter. It will cost millions to defend the suit. Some sharpy lawyer opens the conference and athletic department books to the jury, which then sees the millions raked in on the backs of unpaid college kids. At that point, the potential for a huge, bankrupting verdict becomes very real. This has to be factored in by the schools and conferences.

-NCAA tournament
-US Olympic swim trials
-NCAA CWS
-NCAA Vball final four

Can't disagree with what you are saying, but arguing economic impact opens the door for student athletes wanting a piece of the pie. That could open a door that universities may not to deal with. This whole universe is changing rapidly.

-It doesn’t make much sense to cancel sports but keep schools open considering players would be safer in team environment. This is unanimously agreed upon.
I hate to be the lone dissenter but I don't think that is necessarily true.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that football players will be in a safer environment if the season is not cancelled and the school is open with students are on campus.

It seems to me that the football players would be part of regular campus activity except for the 3 or so hours at the football facility during weekdays. Are you saying the football players, as students, would essentially quarantine? If so, I don't think that is practicable (and I don't believe that was part of the plan if the season was on).

In addition, extensive physical contact between and among a group at practice is unavoidable and necessary (yes, non athlete students will engage in physical contact also but at least theoretically, unlike football players, they could choose to avoid contact or limit contact to a select few). This is what the medical experts have been counseling against.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality

-NCAA tournament
-US Olympic swim trials
-NCAA CWS
-NCAA Vball final four

I've been saying this since April when oil dropped to below zero. We are screwed. It's kind of funny that it took college football to give people a perspective on what's coming but I'm glad something did.

Can't disagree with what you are saying, but arguing economic impact opens the door for student athletes wanting a piece of the pie. That could open a door that universities may not to deal with. This whole universe is changing rapidly.
We're talking economic impact to a community or state. Not the universities. I would have LOVED to have been able to play football to cover my college expenses instead of working for $3/hour. I was able to cover a fraction of what an athletic scholarship provides with that job Not to mention it didn't provide me anywhere close to the same coed social opportunities that being on the football team would have.Winking

I would assume that there will be multiple businesses in Lincoln that will go belly up without football this fall. This is going to be a killer economically for Lincoln this fall.

Reactions: Baxter48
I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you say, but you kinda just blow by the liability potential. If, God forbid, just one player gets sick to the point of hospitalization or death, the multi-million dollar lawsuit will be on file by noon the next day. At that point, the debate about liability really doesn't matter. It will cost millions to defend the suit. Some sharpy lawyer opens the conference and athletic department books to the jury, which then sees the millions raked in on the backs of unpaid college kids. At that point, the potential for a huge, bankrupting verdict becomes very real. This has to be factored in by the schools and conferences.
How can you prove or disprove how someone got Covid? If a player has an opportunity to opt out and they choose to play they are assuming the risk. When kids go back to school and get sick can they sue? Everyone who gets Covid could sue if it was the case. I don’t think there is any liability issues.

How can you prove or disprove how someone got Covid? If a player has an opportunity to opt out and they choose to play they are assuming the risk. When kids go back to school and get sick can they sue? Everyone who gets Covid could sue if it was the case. I don’t think there is any liability issues.
Here's the part where someone needs to tell Frost (or Day or Harbaugh for that matter) and anyone else with the school to shut up about how safe, strict, and rigid their protocols are. If that happens, the first thing the kid's lawyer will do is point to those kinds of statements and ask how else the kid got sick, if the protocol is so rigid, and their kids are following it (especially if there were 20 other cases 2 weeks into the season). Then, of course, the university throws the kid under the bus because he was seen one night at his girlfriend's apartment. Even if the school wins the lawsuit, public opinion won't be on their side.

Reactions: Blindcheck
I feel bad for schools like UM and NU. We did protocol really well and had good results so far and things got shut down anyway. But on the other hand we had what half a dozen conference teams shut down?

Here's the part where someone needs to tell Frost (or Day or Harbaugh for that matter) and anyone else with the school to shut up about how safe, strict, and rigid their protocols are. If that happens, the first thing the kid's lawyer will do is point to those kinds of statements and ask how else the kid got sick, if the protocol is so rigid, and their kids are following it (especially if there were 20 other cases 2 weeks into the season). Then, of course, the university throws the kid under the bus because he was seen one night at his girlfriend's apartment. Even if the school wins the lawsuit, public opinion won't be on their side.
this just isn't true, at all. those protocols are exactly what protect the football program from such frivolous suits.

and public opinion hasn't blasted the Indians for suspending 2 pitchers recently for violating their COVID protocols:

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB...dinals-Tigers-series-suspended/6851597153253/

no positive tests, but they must miss time and must quarantine for a set period in order to be allowed back with the team.

if kids are being reckless outside of rigid, organized activity, they'll be punished, not 'thrown under the bus'. and rightfully so.

You didn't read my post closely and you answered your own question. Once a plaintiff's lawyer gets a hold of a situation where a player got sick, it won't matter how/where he got it. The lawsuit will be filed. That's how lawyers work (I used to be one). It will put NU and/or the conference on the defensive and brings the possibility of a huge verdict.

How can you probe or disprove how someone got Covid? I don’t see any liability as it is rampant throughout the world. If a player has an opportunity to opt out and they choose to play they are assuming the risk. When kids go back to school and get sick can they sue? Everyone who gets Covid could sue if it was the case. I don’t think there is any liability issues.
You didn't read my post closely and you answered your own question. Once a plaintiff's lawyer gets a hold of a situation where a player got sick, it won't matter how/where he got it. The lawsuit will be filed. That's how lawyers work (I used to be one). It will put NU and/or the conference on the defensive and brings the possibility of a huge verdict.
this argument could be made for any worker or student worldwide. Youth sports are going on all over America, if I were you I would saddle back up and start suing. Same for schools..if it was that easy everyone would be suing who gets Covid.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The Lincoln bars (most of them) probably make what, 20-25% of their years revenue on the 7 home games? Where do they make that up?

The Lincoln bars (most of them) probably make what, 20-25% of their years revenue on the 7 home games? Where do they make that up?

Nobody cares, its simple, somebody may get sick and die. So back to the house and lockdown.

I just find it strange that the states with the strictest of lockdown "laws" have the most deaths. Sort of like the states with the strictest gun laws have the most murders. Seems the more you try to protect the more dangerous the area becomes. Perhaps if you let people make their own decisions about staying home, protecting themselves and doing what is best for them and their families, the less they die.

States with Republican governors (including left leaning Maryland Gov) have had 53000 ish deaths and roughly 370 deaths per million
States with Democrat governors have had about 109,500 deaths and roughly 595 deaths per million. Weird

It doesn't take a genius to look at the data, again find the twitter feeds for
@boriquagato (El Gato Malo) and @malkusm (Matt Malkus). They report nothing but data and they analyze the data. They have the ability to change their opinion based on the data and they don't dig in their heels and make up a bunch of crazy shit.

But the facts are that the virus runs its course and dies off. If the virus ends up being seasonal, then we do this all again next year and the year after. The Hope-Simpson viral seasonality timetable for Covid, looks like it does for flu. Lockdowns, travel bans or whatever restrictions you want to include do little to nothing. When it is your season you get Covid.

Nobody cares, its simple, somebody may get sick and die. So back to the house and lockdown.

I just find it strange that the states with the strictest of lockdown "laws" have the most deaths. Sort of like the states with the strictest gun laws have the most murders. Seems the more you try to protect the more dangerous the area becomes. Perhaps if you let people make their own decisions about staying home, protecting themselves and doing what is best for them and their families, the less they die.

States with Republican governors (including left leaning Maryland Gov) have had 53000 ish deaths and roughly 370 deaths per million
States with Democrat governors have had about 109,500 deaths and roughly 595 deaths per million. Weird

@boriquagato (El Gato Malo) and @malkusm (Matt Malkus). They report nothing but data and they analyze the data. They have the ability to change their opinion based on the data and they don't dig in their heels and make up a bunch of crazy shit.

But the facts are that the virus runs its course and dies off. If the virus ends up being seasonal, then we do this all again next year and the year after. The Hope-Simpson viral seasonality timetable for Covid, looks like it does for flu. Lockdowns, travel bans or whatever restrictions you want to include do little to nothing. When it is your season you get Covid.

It really is amazing, isn't it?

this argument could be made for any worker or student worldwide. Youth sports are going on all over America, if I were you I would saddle back up and start suing. Same for schools..if it was that easy everyone would be suing who gets Covid.
Exactly.
How could this same liability crap not be used to sue schools, etc?
You cannot prove where it was caught. This is different than slipping on a sidewalk, you can prove where that happened.

(You must not have gotten the memo...we’ve moved the goal posts from deaths to cases, and are hoping dolts think that cases=youre dead).

Lets also not forget that by the CDCs own estimation, 7-8x more people were likely affected but never tested.
If those astronomical numbers are factored in, how low does the death rate go?

(You must not have gotten the memo...we’ve moved the goal posts from deaths to cases, and are hoping dolts think that cases=youre dead).

Yep, those same dolts believe that 9% of the population has died from a Covid related death in 2020.

Amazing how a people from a country with as much freedom and resources at their fingertips can be so ill informed about the actual number of deaths.

I hate to be the lone dissenter but I don't think that is necessarily true.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that football players will be in a safer environment if the season is not cancelled and the school is open with students are on campus.

It seems to me that the football players would be part of regular campus activity except for the 3 or so hours at the football facility during weekdays. Are you saying the football players, as students, would essentially quarantine? If so, I don't think that is practicable (and I don't believe that was part of the plan if the season was on).

In addition, extensive physical contact between and among a group at practice is unavoidable and necessary (yes, non athlete students will engage in physical contact also but at least theoretically, unlike football players, they could choose to avoid contact or limit contact to a select few). This is what the medical experts have been counseling against.
I understand your argument and I think you make some good points, but lets consider the following:
-Players would be tested at minimum once a week. They will also have untold health screenings/temp checks.
-Players would travel together and essentially be quarantined from the outside world for days at a time, now they wont
-Players would have curfew and quarantine the night before home games. Now they wont.
-Players would wear masks diligently, now they likely wont (I could argue mask effectiveness but the previous is true)
-I would argue that players would know they would be in jeopardy of losing their spot and their season and thus would essentially do team quarantining. Bar trips would be banned by coaches. Now, they wont.
-finally, they are still doing team activities, so that argument is flawd.... But they’d be doing even more activities (more quarantining) if they were playing, which means less exposure to outside world.

-Lets also factor in the effects. Players will now be more likely to participate in hazardous activities such as drugs, alcohol, sex, crime, go in depression, etc. etc. which no one seems to care about. You go bust your ass for years and then get told your season and maybe even career is over before it starts, and for a disease that kills people your age at a rate less than lightning strikes, no less. See how you’d react.

(Maybe you wouldnt want to play but that would be your choice if season was on).

I understand your argument and I think you make some good points, but lets consider the following:
-Players would be tested at minimum once a week. They will also have untold health screenings/temp checks.
-Players would travel together and essentially be quarantined from the outside world for days at a time, now they wont
-Players would have curfew and quarantine the night before home games. Now they wont.
-Players would wear masks diligently, now they likely wont (I could argue mask effectiveness but the previous is true)
-I would argue that players would know they would be in jeopardy of losing their spot and their season and thus would essentially do team quarantining. Bar trips would be banned by coaches. Now, they wont.
-finally, they are still doing team activities, so that argument is flawd.... But they’d be doing even more activities (more quarantining) if they were playing, which means less exposure to outside world.

-Lets also factor in the effects. Players will now be more likely to participate in hazardous activities such as drugs, alcohol, sex, crime, go in depression, etc. etc. which no one seems to care about. You go bust your ass for years and then get told your season and maybe even career is over before it starts, and for a disease that kills people your age at a rate less than lightning strikes, no less. See how you’d react.

(Maybe you wouldnt want to play but that would be your choice if season was on).
Fair enough. I do see an opportunity for heightened player safety with the protocols and measures you described..... "opportunity" being the key word. College kids and strict adherence to guidelines - probably not going to happen IMO.

In any event, a couple months ago someone here set-up a poll question: would there be football this fall? I answered a qualified "yes" … if daily quick return (hours) testing was widely available and science had developed effective pharmaceuticals to treat Covid symptoms. Rapidly test and treat. I don't think we are all the way there yet.

Yep, those same dolts believe that 9% of the population has died from a Covid related death in 2020.

Amazing how a people from a country with as much freedom and resources at their fingertips can be so ill informed about the actual number of deaths.

The people of this country have become intellectually lazy & almost devoid of critical thinking.

I think much of the blame lies with the role of social media in our society.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT