ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State says no fans for football

Interesting. Who is this for, the players, fans or both? If both, which I am sure is the correct and compassionate answer, then it is doubtful they would be willing to play against any away opponents that have fans in the stands.

Not sure the harm in letting some fans in. Especially if you can maintain 6ft social distancing between seats.

Reactions: CBurns05
So will no tail gating be enforced outside the stadiums? I am sure a lot of fans will still tailgate in droves. Even if they are not allowed in the stadiums.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Not sure the harm in letting some fans in. Especially if you can maintain 6ft social distancing between seats.

So whether 100 fans or 100k fans the logistics to pull off a public event are numerous. The liabilities involved would blow your mind and that is not even speaking to the COVID issues.

Interesting. Who is this for, the players, fans or both? If both, which I am sure is the correct and compassionate answer, then it is doubtful they would be willing to play against any away opponents that have fans in the stands.
I don't see why they would be unwilling to play away games with fans in the stadiums. Players can/will be socially distanced from fans. The danger is to the fans not the players.

Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, and Purdue are the only programs still planning to have reduced fan amounts in the stands.

Since we have to travel to OSU, no fans in their stadium is a plus for us.

Unless of course they pump in recorded crowd noise to the stadium and only play that when our offense is on the field. ;)

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Since we have to travel to OSU, no fans in their stadium is a plus for us.

Unless of course they pump in recorded crowd noise to the stadium and only play that when our offense is on the field. ;)

Everyone will think of something for crowd noise making as much of real home game as possible..

I just seen a report where Ohio's governor just tested positive for the virus. Wouldn't surprise me if he didnt try and push any events in the state now.

So whether 100 fans or 100k fans the logistics to pull off a public event are numerous. The liabilities involved would blow your mind and that is not even speaking to the COVID issues.
im ignorant to this. so what does this involve? i know they need security; ticket takers; possibly concessionaires. none of those seem impossible to deal with.
is the parking lot a big concern? because they can't control the tailgating?

Since it's outdoors, I don't see the harm in having fans in the stadium, if they wore a mask. That would be a pretty low transmission rate I would think.
i would agree. so what are the other reasons we are not thinking of?

Everyone will think of something for crowd noise making as much of real home game as possible..
But how would they ensure fairness that the crowd noise isn't being exaggerated or applied at certain moments to unfairly penalize the visiting team? I can see it happening between plays when nothing is happening but during a play, there's room for a lot of cheating when it is piped in artificial noise.

Reactions: scarletred
I believe the big ten has some degree of revenue sharing from ticket sales which would mean a portion of the meager sale of tickets
at programs that allow fans will be shared with programs that do not allow fans unless other arrangements are made

I don't see why they would be unwilling to play away games with fans in the stadiums. Players can/will be socially distanced from fans. The danger is to the fans not the players.
Rules in state of Pennsylvania make it almost impossible to have fans. That had nothing to do with PSU playing in front of fans in other locations.

ADVERTISEMENT