ADVERTISEMENT

PBA Watch Party

regoratsginrom

Blackshirt
May 15, 2004
So apparently Pinnacle Bank Arena will have a watch party for the first game. Wear and mask and enjoy hot dogs, beer and the big screen. It's okay to do that, but not okay to sit in an outdoor stadium to do the same thing (minus the beer). Makes zero amount of sense.

Thanks B1G. You suck.

Perhaps done in part to try to take some of the crowd away from the bars, that have much smaller space??

So apparently Pinnacle Bank Arena will have a watch party for the first game. Wear and mask and enjoy hot dogs, beer and the big screen. It's okay to do that, but not okay to sit in an outdoor stadium to do the same thing (minus the beer). Makes zero amount of sense.

Thanks B1G. You suck.
This is really crazy and I can see why people would be confused. Why do some states have fans in stadiums when others do not? Why do some businesses require masks when others do not? Why do some cities have mask mandates when others do not?

All so confusing when there's a lack of a central and strategic approach to this whole thing. But here we are anyway. This has been a complete failure on so many levels.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
agree it makes little sense, but you have 2 different "governing bodies" here. the B1G conference stated zero fans at at game. This is most likely because they dont want schools that are in areas where the local government has less restrictive policies to gain an advantage (although, I kinda though home field advantage was one of the great things about sports).

The PBA thing is governed by the local health authority.

I don’t get it. I’m not a wear your mask or you will die guy. But why would they be promoting large gatherings right now. I would like to see fans in the stadiums eventually. And this just seems like a horrible idea.

This is really crazy and I can see why people would be confused. Why do some states have fans in stadiums when others do not? Why do some businesses require masks when others do not? Why do some cities have mask mandates when others do not?

All so confusing when there's a lack of a central and strategic approach to this whole thing. But here we are anyway. This has been a complete failure on so many levels.

Central guidelines? Sure, but treating everyone the same isn’t the right approach. If county A has a high case load with high patient census then you should consider more drastic measures than county B with a low case load with low patient census.

It's politics man. 100%. Compare the usual election map to where football is being played and with fans and you will see it pretty much falls in line.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I'll be interested to see how popular this is. Not sure how many people remember this, but they did something similar to this at the Devaney Center in 2000 for the Notre Dame game. I think it was done as a sort of trial run to see how popular it was. I was there for it, and there were maybe 1,000 people at most there scattered around the arena. Based on that, they ended it after the one game. The situation is completely different this time since nobody can watch the game in person, so it may be more popular. I could see it being more popular for home games because of that, however they haven't said anything about doing it for any other games and they may not do it for any other games if it isn't popular enough.

My what metric is it seemed a "failure"? When you let states decide based in their own needs and then counties within those states.and then cities in same counties, what do you expect?

I am glad we don't have a single mandate coming down from Washington. Every state and city are so different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT