ADVERTISEMENT

Paying players

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
I look up what NIL means, name image likeness....
I guess it means players can make money on the net selling nft's and pictures and stuff like that?

my question is, now that players are getting paid is there rules?
can warren buffet give a player 1 million to go to Nebraska?
can Nebraska give a player 1 million to go to Nebraska?
can state farm give a player free insurance to go to Nebraska, or h&h chevrolet give a new corvette?

what are the rules?

My understanding is that it would mostly be #3, State Farm could, in exchange for a player letting them put their face on a billboard, or a voice recording for a radio spot, pay them pretty much whatever they want. Now if you think schools and athletic departments are not going to have such advertising gigs lined up for their star prospects, you're cwazy.

My question is, does that mean that high school athletes will now need agents to help them line up these deals? Will coaches find themselves negotiating with these agents in addition to or instead of parents and HS coaches?

My understanding is that it would mostly be #3, State Farm could, in exchange for a player letting them put their face on a billboard, or a voice recording for a radio spot, pay them pretty much whatever they want. Now if you think schools and athletic departments are not going to have such advertising gigs lined up for their star prospects, you're cwazy.
ok, so players would get paid with advertising dollars...not just handed money
so like martezen on tv could say , hi I'm adrian and drive chevy...and get a tahoe or vette

just curious cause this could open things up for alot of schools around the country....to get horses
not just the sec giving a players uncle some money

Last edited:
Who determines what the cost is for an autograph session or camp involvement? Is it "market price" or pre-determined value? A company could pay a player $100K to promote a football camp and participate a few days.

This will be interesting....

Who determines what the cost is for an autograph session or camp involvement? Is it "market price" or pre-determined value? A company could pay a player $100K to promote a football camp and participate a few days.

This will be interesting....
The market will continue to move. The only action that could limit it is the govt. The NCAA was already told they can’t do squat.

Reactions: jeans1515
Be interesting to see how the business community deals with recruiting misses. The school would only loose maybe in aggregate a million bucks on a whole recruiting class that was bad.

When Joe's Dodge Dealership ponies up a million or two for that can't miss RB recruit who has a career ending injury or just doesn't cut it, its not sustainable for them to just eat it.

Also curious to see how this works in aggregate. Let's say you get a Trevor Lawrence in there, and he's eating up 7 mill a year of booster money because he's actually playing and worth something to the "advertisers". How much additional money are the advertisers going to invest in guys who won't see the field in their career behind him? Is Clemson going to have a $28 million a year QB room of which 3/4 is wasted? Will they have a couple guys getting paid (QB/WR/DB) and 140 other guys who don't have enough to buy a sandwich?

Will be some interesting dynamics to be sure.

My question is, does that mean that high school athletes will now need agents to help them line up these deals? Will coaches find themselves negotiating with these agents in addition to or instead of parents and HS coaches?

giphy.gif

These people will be happy.

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
I look up what NIL means, name image likeness....
I guess it means players can make money on the net selling nft's and pictures and stuff like that?

my question is, now that players are getting paid is there rules?
can warren buffet give a player 1 million to go to Nebraska?
can Nebraska give a player 1 million to go to Nebraska?
can state farm give a player free insurance to go to Nebraska, or h&h chevrolet give a new corvette?

what are the rules?

Warren is way too frugal (and smart) to waste his money paying for football recruits.

I'm sure some other boosters like Phil Knight will, though. But after a few of these "big-money" recruits flop, or get in trouble with the law....I think we will see a lot of this NIL hype die down.

The biggest superstar players will make good money, as will the hottest female athletes. But a lot of these businesses will find that there isn't much ROI for endorsing a player who only averages a couple good plays a game and only has a few thousand Instagram followers.

Last edited:
That’s what this whole realignment thing is about. NIL. Brand. Exposure. Putting your school in the best position to tell recruits “Our last QB made x. See how much you can make if you sign with us?” Texas and OU figure the SEC puts them in better position to do that than the Big 12. They aren’t wrong.

Money can literally just be handed to players now. It was before at $EC schools and Clemson, but now they legally can do it.
For example; Miami paying every single scholarship player $500 a month for “endorsing” a gym. It’s that simple, you just say a player endorsed some random place or thing and then just give them money.

Warren is way too frugal (and smart) to waste his money paying for football recruits.

I'm sure some other boosters like Phil Knight will, though. But after a few of these "big-money" recruits flop, or get in trouble with the law....I think we will see a lot of this NIL hype die down.

The biggest superstar players will make good money, as will the hottest female athletes. But a lot of these businesses will find that there isn't much ROI for endorsing a player who only averages a couple good plays a game and only has a few thousand Instagram followers.
I just used buffet as an example...I suppose the market will dictate what players get paid, but this is new territory for college football

Money can literally just be handed to players now. It was before at $EC schools and Clemson, but now they legally can do it.
For example; Miami paying every single scholarship player $500 a month for “endorsing” a gym. It’s that simple, you just say a player endorsed some random place or thing and then just give them money.
it will be interesting

A brilliant QB or Wide receiver may have the easiest way of making NIL$.

Savvy kids will make NIL$ by selling themselves and being personalities.

But what about those linemen?

Especially the ones who will play 4 years and be fine college players but maybe just not NFL?

They're not pretty, they aren't flashy.

Nobody is dazzled by that pulling guard's footwork technique.

Yet, they are critical to a teams success.

How do schools get those guys on campus?

Will the NIL$ pave the way to sweetheart deals?

$500 a week visit to the boosters mega-car-lot for an hour or two to take fan pics and sign autographs?

I would not make it a point to go out of my way to go down to mega-car-lot to get a pic with freshman guard from U of X.

It would be a straight pay out.

For the bluebloods there will be lots of pressure on the boosters to pay up.

Go Blue!

Especially the ones who will play 4 years and be fine college players but maybe just not NFL?

$500 a week visit to the boosters mega-car-lot for an hour or two to take fan pics and sign autographs?

I would not make it a point to go out of my way to go down to mega-car-lot to get a pic with freshman guard from U of X.

Go Blue!
I can see the hog mollies getting endorsement deals from buffets and high end restaurants. It's just a match made in heaven!

Let's say you get a Trevor Lawrence in there, and he's eating up 7 mill a year of booster money because he's actually playing and worth something to the "advertisers". How much additional money are the advertisers going to invest in guys who won't see the field in their career behind him? Is Clemson going to have a $28 million a year QB room of which 3/4 is wasted? Will they have a couple guys getting paid (QB/WR/DB) and 140 other guys who don't have enough to buy a sandwich?

Will be some interesting dynamics to be sure.
I think it’s going to be a lot like what happens in NFL cities. The star player gets a lot. If there’s an all conference player with a colorful personality, they will do quite well. Stars in VB, baseball, Bball get some income. 95% of the football team gets practically nothing.
With Nebraska, it will be better than most though. I could see a former HS star from central Nebraska get some income from in state sources.

Go Blue!
We will also have kids transferring because they can get a better deal somewhere else. OSU is short 1 OT/OLB for a championship run and they get a player to transfer from a smaller school who may have been a late bloomer and is on a watchlist. It doesn't really cost OSU anything. They may even be able to convince him to walk on.

We will also have kids transferring because they can get a better deal somewhere else. OSU is short 1 OT/OLB for a championship run and they get a player to transfer from a smaller school who may have been a late bloomer and is on a watchlist. It doesn't really cost OSU anything. They may even be able to convince him to walk on.
Great point!

Scholarship limits kind of go out the door now do they not?

Go Blue!

I waiting for the first player to send an invoice to the university for actually playing a game in which millions are made.

ADVERTISEMENT