ADVERTISEMENT

Pay Urban Meyer for a 2 week consultation:

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Seems like Frost really needs a proven winner to come see what’s going on, break down some film, analyze the roster, etc.

Would this be allowed during the season? - Meyer obviously has his commentator gig, but I’ve seen the look in his eye when he’s talked about Nebraska that says “hey Nebraska, reach out to me and I could help you.”

I think he wants to see Nebraska improve for the betterment of the conference.

Moos, if you’re listening- boosters would easily offer the cash for this.

Maybe we could hire Mike Riley to come in and depart some sage wisdom. He's been around the game for a very long time.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Seems like Frost really needs a proven winner to come see what’s going on, break down some film, analyze the roster, etc.

Would this be allowed during the season? - Meyer obviously has his commentator gig, but I’ve seen the look in his eye when he’s talked about Nebraska that says “hey Nebraska, reach out to me and I could help you.”

If you need to do something like this then you don't have a head coach.

Sounds like a good Idea! I am sure Urban would take the call from Moos and would help Scott Frost. God knows he needs it! He is not asking Tom Osborne that is for sure. We would not suck this badly if Tom was giving him advice.

I'm available for a fraction of the price and feel like I couldn't hurt anything
I’d do it for a beer... and am certain I could make some improvement:
“Ok, how bout we try this... Zavier, Wandale- you two run straight and fast... snap ball, throw ball, see ball, catch ball.... now repeat.... OL keep your feet moving.”

But I think Meyer could offer more comprehensive advice.

Wasnt it Frost who scoffed at the idea of bringing in tackling consultants like Riley did? Even though the Seattle Seahawks bring them in every year.

Frost said his staff will teach Nebraska players how to tackle. He expressed surprise at the suggestion NU would use a tackling consultant.

"They pay us good money to coach," Frost said. "If we don't know what we're doing, then they probably need a different coach."

Scott Frost passionate about teaching - doesn’t need consultant

Reactions: B1G RED RULES

Steve Alford did something similar with Bobby Knight back in the day. It didn’t work very well.

Maybe we could hire Mike Riley to come in and depart some sage wisdom. He's been around the game for a very long time.
tenor.gif

Reactions: OAHU-SKER and WHCSC
Urban would say that all you need to do when you run the zone read is to have the quarterback take a step or two forward when handing it off or faking the handoff so then it’s like you are running the option out of the I/ace/wishbone formation and then all of the linebackers are sucked in while 1 or 2 speedy wide receivers are running wide-open crossing patterns right where the linebackers used to be.

Urban would say that all you need to do when you run the zone read is to have the quarterback take a step or two forward when handing it off or faking the handoff so then it’s like you are running the option out of the I/ace/wishbone formation and then all of the linebackers are sucked in while 1 or 2 speedy wide receivers are running wide-open crossing patterns right where the linebackers used to be.
Except we don't run routes across the middle of the field. That would be illegal.

Why would you pay Urban a consultation fee? One of the top 10 college coaches of all time lives in Lincoln and just happened to be SF’s mentor and coach. He’d do it for free.

And I’m not of the opinion that the game has passed TO by. Hell..in the late 80s to mid-90s, TO made a number of changes based on ass kickings from teams like Miami. Need more speed at LB? Convert DBs like Dumas and Jamel Williams to LB. Change the recruiting model.

IMO...the very qualified Urban could not offer much better perspective on the situation than SF could find in TO within 5-10 miles...and, again, TO would do it for free.

Why would you pay Urban a consultation fee? One of the top 10 college coaches of all time lives in Lincoln and just happened to be SF’s mentor and coach. He’d do it for free.

And I’m not of the opinion that the game has passed TO by. Hell..in the late 80s to mid-90s, TO made a number of changes based on ass kickings from teams like Miami. Need more speed at LB? Convert DBs like Dumas and Jamel Williams to LB. Change the recruiting model.

IMO...the very qualified Urban could not offer much better perspective on the situation than SF could find in TO within 5-10 miles...and, again, TO would do it for free.
Doubt TO would tell him to give up play calling and his staff is in over their skis as he himself was loyal to a fault to his assistants.

I think Frost is already able to consult with TO as much as he wants. He's obviously not soaking anything up.

Dr. Tom is one of the all-time greats, a legend, the man, the myth, the emblem of our program.

Putting aside that respect, and the obvious relationship he and Frost already have, I would be willing to go out on an objective limb and not only say that Meyer would be a better resource right now, but further... TO himself may suggest going to Urban over himself.

Tom could still have great advice for Frost, but he’s already imparted much of that wisdom.
I’m not even a Meyer fan, but objectively speaking, he is the guy I would go to in a heartbeat if I wanted to improve on what we got going right now.

If I were frost I would just go super young for the rest of the year on Offense. Start playing Corcoran more, move Jurgens to guard, sit Farniok and only play the young WR's. Get Betts and Brown rolling in the jet sweep game. Try to do something.

If I were frost I would just go super young for the rest of the year on Offense. Start playing Corcoran more, move Jurgens to guard, sit Farniok and only play the young WR's. Get Betts and Brown rolling in the jet sweep game. Try to do something.
If you're going to go with a youth movement then you almost have to leave Jurgens at center. If not then you have to find a freshman to replace him. Young Farniok I don't think is a long term solution. I think Frost will stick with a lineup that will give him the best chance to win now. Developing some sort of winning attitude is important. It's time to win out and that is possible.

If you're going to go with a youth movement then you almost have to leave Jurgens at center. If not then you have to find a freshman to replace him. Young Farniok I don't think is a long term solution. I think Frost will stick with a lineup that will give him the best chance to win now. Developing some sort of winning attitude is important. It's time to win out and that is possible.
Jurgens can't stay at center for our best chance to win. We need someone else at Center. Maybe start working Piper into that role early.

Jurgens can't stay at center for our best chance to win. We need someone else at Center. Maybe start working Piper into that role early.
They apparently tried out Piper at center when Jurgens was out with the injury 2 weeks ago. Apparently he either had issues with snaps or making the line calls.

Frost isn't going to accept any input from Urban Meyer. Way too proud for that. The only person Frost would accept advice from is Osborne.

I'd pay Urban Meyer, however, to conduct the next Nebraska coaching search (and it could be coming after next season).

ADVERTISEMENT