ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Finebaum

Fed-Up

Walk On
Nov 2, 2019
I really can't stand Paul Finebaum (he is an absolute Husker Hater). However.....this quote is very telling....and probably has a modicum of being accurate:

Finebaum joined ‘McElroy and Cubelic In The Morning’ to discuss Nebraska’ current predicament. He said the worst thing about Nebraska isn’t that they’re losing or losing in certain ways. It’s that, as a former big brand in the sport, they’ve grown to become a program whose results are inconsequential.

“I think this has been going on for some time, but I think you could make the argument that Nebraska hasn’t gone so wrong. They’ve simply just become irrelevant,”

Is this Scott Frosts' fault?....I believe his tenure has greatly contributed to the truth of that statement.

I really can't stand Paul Finebaum (he is an absolute Husker Hater). However.....this quote is very telling....and probably has a modicum of being accurate:

Finebaum joined ‘McElroy and Cubelic In The Morning’ to discuss Nebraska’ current predicament. He said the worst thing about Nebraska isn’t that they’re losing or losing in certain ways. It’s that, as a former big brand in the sport, they’ve grown to become a program whose results are inconsequential.

“I think this has been going on for some time, but I think you could make the argument that Nebraska hasn’t gone so wrong. They’ve simply just become irrelevant,”

Is this Scott Frosts' fault?....I believe his tenure has greatly contributed to the truth of that statement.
Frost
Moos
Alberts
Carter
All to blame.

Reactions: Fed-Up and oldjar07

Then why’s he talking about it?

All losing teams become irrelevant on a national stage. Quite the news breaker.

We're now Minnesota of the 21st Century. But while they're irrelevant in CFB they still put together decent teams occasionally.

Two kinds of relevant. Nebraska is one of the best brands in college football, one of the best home game experiences in the BIG, and all of college football and their passionate fan base keeps them relevant year after year
The other side is the on field performance. Completely irrelevant. The culture of the locker room completely irrelevant without wins on the field. Everything within North Stadium, the off-season, etc is irrelevant when you lose conference openers to Illinois teams
The brand is still relevant even if the on field product isn’t at the moment. The Nebraska fans traveling to Ireland showcase Husker Nation, sadly that’s all there is to show recently

We're now Minnesota of the 21st Century. But while they're irrelevant in CFB they still put together decent teams occasionally.
Actually Minnesota went 46 years without having a good season (never better than 5-3 in conference)....until Fleck got us to 7-2. And he followed it up last year with 6-3.

Two kinds of relevant. Nebraska is one of the best brands in college football, one of the best home game experiences in the BIG, and all of college football and their passionate fan base keeps them relevant year after year
The other side is the on field performance. Completely irrelevant. The culture of the locker room completely irrelevant without wins on the field. Everything within North Stadium, the off-season, etc is irrelevant when you lose conference openers to Illinois teams
The brand is still relevant even if the on field product isn’t at the moment. The Nebraska fans traveling to Ireland showcase Husker Nation, sadly that’s all there is to show recently
And of the two - the brand is losing its luster for several reasons and the product on the field begins to deteriorate at a rate where expectations are extremely low. While you consider them separate, they are unequivocally yoked. Especially once a staunch generation that remembers glory begins to fade.

Actually Minnesota went 46 years without having a good season (never better than 5-3 in conference)....until Fleck got us to 7-2. And he followed it up last year with 6-3.
I'd call 5-3 in conference, probably 8-3 or 7-4 overall a "decent" team. No?

Paul Finebaum is an idiot.

If Nebraska actually gets a coaching hire right, it will not be irrelevant. It will be a West Division contender like Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern. And that will be in the most powerful, most flush conference in the country and that will make Nebraska very relevant.

The mindset change needed by Nebraska's athletic department and fanbase is that Nebraska doesn't "deserve" to be a big time, blue blood championship contender just because it was decades ago. The mindset has to be to nose-to-the-grindstone, developmental, smart program that maximizes its strengths. That is what Barry Alvarez did at Wisconsin. It is what Fry started at Iowa and Ferentz continued. It's what Pat Fitzgerald brought to Northwestern. That is how Fitz beat Nebraska despite Nebraska having the higher-rated athletes on paper: he maximized what NW is good at (turning a game into a rockfight, being physical) and attacked Nebraska's weakness (hubris, failure to be patient or deal with adversity, butt puckering when the game is close, lack of physical endurance in 4th quarter.)

Scott Frost's ego will not allow him to take this approach. But if Nebraska finds a coach who will (a guy like Matt Campbell, perhaps) then there is zero reason Nebraska must be destined to irrelevancy.

Kill and Clayes won 8 games a year, just like your hero PJ, and Glen Mason had a 10-win season and a couple Top 20 teams, but I guess the point remains.

Last edited:
Kill and Clayes won 8 games a year, just like your hero PJ, and Glen Mason had a 10 win season and a couple Too 20 team, but I guess the point remains.
Back then we played 4 non-conference cupcakes. So it's more accurate to compare conference records.

Fleck has given us our 2 best conference records since 1973.

Reactions: Baron VonMeatpants

Not a Finebaum fan, can’t remember when I last listened to his show, but he was far from the only talking head who was critical of the Husker loss on Saturday. It hurts to say it but I think the national press has transitioned their view of Nebraska Football from irrelevancy to being a joke.

Irrelevant is an overused term. Two very popular words used by Iowa fans and they should know, delusional and irrelevant. I agree with @scarletred Frost deserves any criticism he gets, not sure how I’d feel if they would’ve lost without the on side kick, but that call at that time is indefensible.

Reactions: scarletred
I bet that was a fun ride home from Dublin after that game. Hell, I am still miserable and I did not fly all the way over there to see that meltdown in person.

I bet that was a fun ride home from Dublin after that game. Hell, I am still miserable and I did not fly all the way over there to see that meltdown in person.
Frost ruined their trip to Ireland… Can’t imagine seating in a plane that long stewing over the results of the game..

Reactions: Redmich
Not sure why the hate for Finebaum, hes an incredibly knowledgeable guy on college football and like most other reasonable fans.... thinks there's the SEC... and then everyone else

Not sure why the hate for Finebaum, hes an incredibly knowledgeable guy on college football and like most other reasonable fans.... thinks there's the SEC... and then everyone else
If they're so great, why don't they go on a barnstorming tour through the BigTen and the other conferences?

Yeah, irrelevant is an overused term...if NU is so irrelevant, why are they talking about them. They aren't talking about NW winning...they are talking about NU losing. I think part of this piling on is out of their own frustration. College football is better when Nebraska is good. No one notices if NW is good. They notice when NU is bad.

In any case, the list of those at fault can be traced back to Tom Osborne. He did not give Bill Byrne a chance to perform a nation-wide search for his replacement. He poisoned the well by essentially naming Frank as the successor. Maybe Byrne would have decided Solich was the best choice - but it would have been nice to have choices.

From there, almost every decision turned out to be a bad one. Most decisions may have seemed reasonable at the time but turned sour; with the odd exception of hiring Mike Riley - that never seemed reasonable.

I'll leave Trev off the list for now. Keeping Frost around one more year is defensible in that Frost is a former Husker star, so he gets more wiggle room than others.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
paul has a short memory...

sample.jpg

Yeah, irrelevant is an overused term...if NU is so irrelevant, why are they talking about them. They aren't talking about NW winning...they are talking about NU losing. I think part of this piling on is out of their own frustration. College football is better when Nebraska is good. No one notices if NW is good. They notice when NU is bad.

In any case, the list of those at fault can be traced back to Tom Osborne. He did not give Bill Byrne a chance to perform a nation-wide search for his replacement. He poisoned the well by essentially naming Frank as the successor. Maybe Byrne would have decided Solich was the best choice - but it would have been nice to have choices.

From there, almost every decision turned out to be a bad one. Most decisions may have seemed reasonable at the time but turned sour; with the odd exception of hiring Mike Riley - that never seemed reasonable.

I'll leave Trev off the list for now. Keeping Frost around one more year is defensible in that Frost is a former Husker star, so he gets more wiggle room than others.
Ohh jeez, Osborne had every right to pick his successor when the staff was still intact..I know some on the staff were getting older and wouldn’t be around too much longer but the bigger down fall for the program is when Eichorst choose Hoody Doody Riley..

ADVERTISEMENT