ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Mahomes 10 Years 450 Million Dollar Extension

TFrazier

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 8, 2001
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
if theyre willing to pay it, its no skin off my nose.
but holy smokes these guys are getting paid a ton.
im curious to see the impact after protests and covid on attendance.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Great news for Bronco fans and the AFC for that matter. Little money left for the rest of the team when contracts for other studs come due. Numbers so out of line cause hard feelings for teammates first, then their agents think the KC bank account is a gold mine. One man teams don’t win Super Bowls and that One Man ends up getting hurt.

Great news for Bronco fans and the AFC for that matter. Little money left for the rest of the team when contracts for other studs come due. Numbers so out of line cause hard feelings for teammates first, then their agents think the KC bank account is a gold mine. One man teams don’t win Super Bowls and that One Man ends up getting hurt.

It's a lot of cabbage for sure, but Elway wishes he had the same exact problem. So do a lot of other GM's and owners.

Don’t like the Chiefs but no way I can be critical of this move. When you go four decades without a QB that you drafted even winning a playoff game, then you find one who wins the Super Bowl, you pay what it takes.

Best start to a career for a qb ever, in two seasons starting has an mvp, super bowl win and super bowl mvp, 1st in passing yards, tds, qb wins, qbr and yards per attempt in past 2 seasons including playoffs. Oh and he’s 24 and is a great member of the community with no character concerns. By the time he gets to the second half of the deal he’ll be a bargain, hitting his prime while lesser qbs try to reset the market. No brainer move for both sides.

This is exactly what happened with Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. The Colts won a grand total of one Super Bowl in his years in Indy. There was no money for the rest of the team.

Brilliant move. When you find a qb you lock them down. Much easier to keep drafting wr's and rb's then trying to find a QB. Plus, brady and Roger's will be leaving soon so he will have a nearly complete stranglehold as the face of the nfl.

Interesting article by SI suggesting teams go to qb by committee with a true passer and a wildcat. Apparently teams don't win super bowls when the qb eats up more than 13.7 % of the salary cap. They can't afford their other stars.

Here, I think the team had no choice.

Obviously the cap will go up a time or two in the next decade, and I could even see the NFL removing the QB contract from the teams cap. The way the NFL has tailored today's NFL to be as QB friendly as possible, nothing would surprise me at that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
Obviously the cap will go up a time or two in the next decade, and I could even see the NFL removing the QB contract from the teams cap. The way the NFL has tailored today's NFL to be as QB friendly as possible, nothing would surprise me at that position.

And, the deal doesn't actually kick in for two years; so they still have room to keep the key members of the current roster in place for another run or two at the Super Bowl with this group.

Then, you may need to start over - with the best player in the league atthe most important position in sports.

And, the deal doesn't actually kick in for two years; so they still have room to keep the key members of the current roster in place for another run or two at the Super Bowl with this group.

Then, you may need to start over - with the best player in the league atthe most important position in sports.

I did not know that part!! Freaking sweet. I like this deal much more now, thanks for sharing!! It's good to be a Chief's fan right now.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Interesting article by SI suggesting teams go to qb by committee with a true passer and a wildcat. Apparently teams don't win super bowls when the qb eats up more than 13.7 % of the salary cap. They can't afford their other stars.

Here, I think the team had no choice.
Not true wildcat. But that might be something related to what Patriots do this year.

Not true wildcat. But that might be something related to what Patriots do this year.
Drew Brees/Taysom Hill. The Saints won't ever make Hill a full time starter, but they like what he brings to the table.

I imagine most QBs are not going to like this arrangement if they were stars in college.

This is exactly what happened with Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. The Colts won a grand total of one Super Bowl in his years in Indy. There was no money for the rest of the team.
My opinion, this is false. Paying a generational talent at QB is why the Colts only won one Super Bowl? The Colts were always good, always made the playoffs, had a few mind numbing losses (missed FG, etc) AND had Brady and Belichick to deal with every year. The Colts could have won more SB's, but being one of the teams that COULD win the SB every year for a decade is exactly why teams pay these contracts to Mahomes, etc. They give you a chance.

My opinion, this is false. Paying a generational talent at QB is why the Colts only won one Super Bowl? The Colts were always good, always made the playoffs, had a few mind numbing losses (missed FG, etc) AND had Brady and Belichick to deal with every year. The Colts could have won more SB's, but being one of the teams that COULD win the SB every year for a decade is exactly why teams pay these contracts to Mahomes, etc. They give you a chance.

Agreed....Much like Jordan and Pippen, who denied a lot of great players a title during their time together, The Pats did the same with Belicheck (sp?) and Brady.

See also: Rogers, Aaron. Wilson, Russel.

The best thing about this deal is it doesn't get crazy expensive for a few years. The Chiefs have their window and they know it.

The price of $ucce$$ has kicked in and their clock is ticking. This is the new league blueprint, win it all with a dynamic QB on his rookie contract, pay him, and watch the decline happen.

Bears tried to do it with Trubisky and he's so inept he wasted the best defense in the league.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Yep. Manning played 6 years on that contract (sat out one with injury) and the colts made 2 Super Bowls and another ccg. The other afc teams with SB appearances during that time were the patriots and Steelers, twice each, with excellent quarterbacks of their own. The colts won more games during that stretch than any other team; the fact that they “only” made the SB twice is due to the randomness and small sample size of playoff football and the strength of their competition.

Building a great team around an effective, cheap young qb works, of course, but it’s far from reliable because drafting qbs is a crapshoot. Get the best quarterback in the game and you’ll always be competitive. Chiefs fans get to enjoy that for the next decade (barring injury) while the teams around them keep rolling the dice.

Is all you have to do is look at the packers vs. Vikings. Vikings usually have a better top to bottom roster, but it gets them jack shit. Packers trot out hall of fame QBs for 2 decades plus with an often depleted roster and they win division titles and super bowl rings.

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT