ADVERTISEMENT

"Passing the ball is just something you do before the game to warm up"

litespeedhuskerfan

Nebraska Legend
Aug 27, 2006
Jamelle Holieway 1987(ish) quote

Career stats below.

Totals 117(completions) 257(attempts) 45.5(comp%) 2,430(total yards) 23(TD) 15(int)

With the Oklahoma thread that somebody posted his quote from about 1987 seemed appropriate. I remember it perfectly. I don't know why, because my memory is usually spotty at best. Jamelle said that line back in the day and I never forgot it. Just thought his "career" passing stats might be kind of interesting to look at, in light of todays game and how it's evolved.

4 year starter, and he only threw 257 passes total.

I got one more, Billy Tubbs "If they sore under a hundred and we lose it's their fault, if we score over a hundred and lose it's my fault".

I don't know why I remember that stuff. Forgot my wife's 30th birthday (true story), but this stuff? No prob.

Last edited:
Jamelle Holieway 1987(ish) quote

Totals 117(completions) 257(attempts) 45.5(comp%) 2,430(total yards) 23(TD) 15(int)

With the Oklahoma thread that somebody posted his quote from about 1987 seemed appropriate. I remember it perfectly. I don't know why, because my memory is usually spotty at best. Jamelle said that line back in the day and I never forgot it. Just thought his "career" passing stats might be kind of interesting to look at, in light of todays game and how it's evolved.

4 year starter, and he only threw 257 passes total.

I got one more, Billy Tubbs "If they sore under a hundred and we lose it's their fault, if we score over a hundred and lose it's my fault".

I don't know why I remember that stuff. Forgot my wife's 30th birthday (true story), but this stuff? No prob.

Billy Tubbs was a better motivator than coach.

Billy Tubbs was a better motivator than coach.
Took OU to the tourney nine times (they made it once in the 33 year previous to his tenure), won 72% of his games at OU, was 18-12 in the NCAA tourney, and went to the championship game once. That was more than a good motivator.

Took OU to the tourney nine times (they made it once in the 33 year previous to his tenure), won 72% of his games at OU, was 18-12 in the NCAA tourney, and went to the championship game once. That was more than a good motivator.

I played for him. Better motivator than coach.

He was great at changing the mental aspect of a player.

OK...you win. I bet there was a story or two with him around. Did you guys do well?

We were 7-22 before he arrived. Turned around to 18-12 the next year. And finished 3rd in the SWC.

He turned Kurt Thomas into a pro by changing his attitude. Making him think like a pro. Instead of acting like the best player.

That season Thomas led the nation in scoring and rebounding.The previous year he was yelling at us because he was hungover at practice. And we called him out for it.Laughing

Coach Tubbs is hilarious tbough. His health has not been well lately.
He always said the strongest muscle you have is your brain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT