ADVERTISEMENT

Pass Rush

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
Man, any questions following last night about what pass rush can do for your defense? Turned Mahommes from what he has been since he came into the league into arguably the worst start for a Super Bowl QB all time. Turns out that no matter what the offensive flash or modern innovation, making a QB run for his life all night is still a pretty damn good game plan.

A lot of that is on the Chiefs OL issues but Tampa's DL also did that to a lot of guys this year.

The more I think about it, the more I come away impressed that NU's defense was as sound as it was with the total absence of a fearsome pass rusher. If they could hit on an OLB or two, man would it change the complexion of a lot of games.

Man, any questions following last night about what pass rush can do for your defense? Turned Mahommes from what he has been since he came into the league into arguably the worst start for a Super Bowl QB all time. Turns out that no matter what the offensive flash or modern innovation, making a QB run for his life all night is still a pretty damn good game plan.

A lot of that is on the Chiefs OL issues but Tampa's DL also did that to a lot of guys this year.

The more I think about it, the more I come away impressed that NU's defense was as sound as it was with the total absence of a fearsome pass rusher. If they could hit on an OLB or two, man would it change the complexion of a lot of games.
Their whole defensive line was stacked with elite pass rushers, it wasn't just one guy. Our line across the board sucks at pass rushing and one OLB isn't going to change that.

TB's pass rush vs the depleted KC OL was the difference in the Super Bowl. It allowed Lavonte to matchup on Kelce, knowing he didn't have to cover long and let TB keep their safties high. Man we need some more Suh's and Gregory's.

Those athletic linebackers made some key plays in the game, David and White
Kelce got his but also didn’t come up with some key catches
Taking away Hill and playing Kelce tight made a huge difference in the outcome
Impressive game plan by Bowles

TB's pass rush vs the depleted KC OL was the difference in the Super Bowl. It allowed Lavonte to matchup on Kelce, knowing he didn't have to cover long and let TB keep their safties high. Man we need some more Suh's and Gregory's.

Watching talented college QBs wilt under the unrelenting pass rush NU was able to put on teams in 90s under McBride's attacking 4-3 was pretty fun. Kordell Stewart, Koy Detmer and Danny Wuerffel, and Brock Huard are a few that come to mind. Then there was the '94 Orange Bowl when Trev sacked Charlie Ward almost as many times in that game as he had been all season - with one arm.

See my post below on the stat for Mahomes avoiding the rush.

I heard a commentator last night after the game (I think I heard this correctly) that TB only blitzed four times? That is an amazing stat and debunks "you have/need to blitz more" when in fact you do not.

It was painfully obvious the tackles for KC were overmatched and TB knew it and took advantage of it. They came hard from the outside whether the tackle had a choke hold or not, they were coming relentlessly in a straight line headed for the QB. TB appeared to rotate DT's and often times Suh looked like a spy out there but he is so quick, he can move like a LB. Super athletic LB's played a part as well, strong enough to fight with the TE and not allow that push off.

I guess some of this is why I tend to like the 4-3 or some version of it, even could be the 4-2-5 as you get more speed on the field. With out current D, we get the speed rush from one person unless we go with multiple blitzers. In a true 4 front your D ends are generally quicker and not the 300lb behemoths we are seeing now.

Also I would note that TB stayed in the 2 deep safety look to take away the pass and daring KC to run. KC could take advantage of that consistently and once they got behind they were really in trouble. That is where the O that takes control can be a big asset to the D, forcing the opposing team to pass into the coverage YOU want, not you have to be in.

Reactions: WHCSC
That game reminded me so much of the Super Bowl the Patriots lost to the Giants, when they couldn’t handle their pass rush.

They had 7 in coverage most the night and still got pressure, tough to move the ball against that.
That's exactly how Bo Pelini made sick $$$$ -- still to this day -- as a "defensive minded coach".

Worked great. Until Suh and Crick weren't there anymore. He owes those guys millions.

Reactions: jmliehr
That's exactly how Bo Pelini made sick $$$$ -- still to this day -- as a "defensive minded coach".

Worked great. Until Suh and Crick weren't there anymore. He owes those guys millions.
Neither of those guys did anything before Pelini got here.

Reactions: bshirt73
Neither of those guys did anything before Pelini got here.
And?

Pelini hasn't fielded a defense worth a shit since they left.

Anywhere.

Outside of one year at YSU where he brought a couple Husker players with him to play in thee MVC.

And?

Pelini hasn't fielded a defense worth a shit since they left.

Anywhere.

Outside of one year at YSU where he brought a couple Husker players with him to play in thee MVC.

Bo was our HC for seven years but never even remotely came close to a losing season. Clownahan & Smiling Mike before & after Bo sure had no problem with losing everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT