ADVERTISEMENT

Pass rush/Edge rushers

bigredhunter

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2009
Florida
For Nebraska to take the next step, the defense needs to be a lot better this season. If our pressure solely depends on exotic blitz calls, we will see another season like last year.

My questions:
1. Will we have a potent pass rush?
2. Who are we expecting to bring the pressure?
3. When we are dialing up heavy blitz calls in man coverage, are we confident in our DBs being out on an island this year. (Example: Colorado's Laviska Shenault's game winner against our blitz)

For Nebraska to take the next step, the defense needs to be a lot better this season. If our pressure solely depends on exotic blitz calls, we will see another season like last year.

My questions:
3. When we are dialing up heavy blitz calls in man coverage, are we confident in our DBs being out on an island this year. (Example: Colorado's Laviska Shenault's game winner against our blitz)

I have no idea if we'll have a good pass rush this year. However, as I see it, if the pass rush is again marginal at best we simply have to again go the heavy blitz way. No pass rush.....no stopping anybody.....gotta roll the dice.

Reactions: scarletred

My questions:

I think we know from 2009 that collapsing the pocket is much more important than the conventional edge guy...the big 10 also doesn't have a ton of standard WCO or pro-style teams where you are aiming at a point in the backfield as DE either. Do you remember the DEs from the best defense in NU history?

Reactions: huskerssalts
I think we know from 2009 that collapsing the pocket is much more important than the conventional edge guy...the big 10 also doesn't have a ton of standard WCO or pro-style teams where you are aiming at a point in the backfield as DE either. Do you remember the DEs from the best defense in NU history?
Are you talking about 2009? Barry Turner and Pierre Allen, 2009 wasn't that long ago. There was more than just Suh on that defense.

Reactions: jeans15
Our defense needs to improve in a lot more areas than just pass rushing. We need better coverage from our linebackers and safeties and better understanding of assignments to stop the run.

Are you talking about 2009? Barry Turner and Pierre Allen, 2009 wasn't that long ago. There was more than just Suh on that defense.
Point is..they were very average, in fact neither had what you consider great talent. Both were pretty stiff rushing the qb and basically had the job of contain. And we still had a great d....edge rushers seem to be really important in the NFL where there are a lot of 3rd and long situations and the star qbs are still statues. I watched the NC game from last January and was surprised that both clemson and alabama had a ton of hybrid guys, guys who could cover as a safeties but play LB and rush the qb with their hand down. I think that is probably the best way to attack the spread and hurry up.

Point is..they were very average, in fact neither had what you consider great talent. Both were pretty stiff rushing the qb and basically had the job of contain. And we still had a great d....edge rushers seem to be really important in the NFL where there are a lot of 3rd and long situations and the star qbs are still statues. I watched the NC game from last January and was surprised that both clemson and alabama had a ton of hybrid guys, guys who could cover as a safeties but play LB and rush the qb with their hand down. I think that is probably the best way to attack the spread and hurry up.

You mean have the best players?

My questions:

I believe well have a very powerful interior rush. I'm a big believer in our d-line. I don't think any one player is exceptional, but I think we're very deep. Hell of a turn around. It's much like the running back room.

I wouldn't call them average, they were both good defensive ends. I do agree with your point that all 4 D-line players are important to a pass rush, not just the edge rushers. But just because you can't remember anyone on the 2009 defense other than Suh doesn't mean that other people don't, and doesn't mean they weren't good players themselves. The 2010 season proves that because we had a top 10 defense even without Suh.

I wouldn't call them average, they were both good defensive ends. I do agree with your point that all 4 D-line players are important to a pass rush, not just the edge rushers. But just because you can't remember anyone on the 2009 defense other than Suh doesn't mean that other people don't, and doesn't mean they weren't good players themselves. The 2010 season proves that because we had a top 10 defense even without Suh.
I'm liking your input more and more!

My questions:

Wrong. If our run d is good, we are going to be much better, and we will win 9, even without a pass rush, which I don't think we will have this year.

Should we consult Bo? Maybe we should have a 3-2-5 like Iowa St? That seems like it would be very effective in the B1G.

Big red hunter is right. We better have a pass rush this year or we will be mediocre like last year.

Hoping Chin dials up more blitzes this year. We should have the offense to counter a few mistakes.

Seriously? More? Did you actually watch the games? I would settle for doing a much better job with the blitzes they send, not more as they paid for it on the back end.

Last edited:

My questions:

1. No... The team is good enough to win 8 to 10 games. But the random folks who are predicting Nebraska as a darkhorse playoff team are off base because of this reality. Having a healthy Domann and Ferguson will help improve the disruption off the edge. but the team is still a few recruiting cycles away from where they need to be.

2. The presence of a true Nose will help Nebraska vs. The run. but it will also assist the pass rush. The Davis Twins, Stille, and Deontre are all better at pressure when they are able to play their true positions. Their ability to cause havoc at the point of attack should free up the OLBs to generate more pressure.

3. Yes. Yes. Nebraska will be far more multiple in disguising blitzes and coverage. That comes with familiarity, experience, and talent. The Huskers will have a lot more athleticism in the back end this season. You will also see a lot of ambiguous looks where the Dime LB and Nickel back become interchangeable.

As for the Shenault reference, you have to realize that dude is going to get his regardless of the pressure or coverage.

Reactions: ayrhorse
Lincoln, since you like to call me out on everything, do you like big women? Are you a Hog Hunter?..

Call you out on everything? Touchy and insecure much? Hey, you are a lot like Bo! To answer your question, no I don’t, but please don’t take that personally.

Seriously? More? Did you actually watch the games? I would settle for doing a much better job with the blitzes they send, not more as paid for it on the back end.

Sure, a better success rate on blitzing is needed. But I want to see a more attacking style of defense this year. Set the tone early and often.

The Davis twins and Stille were recruited for a different defense. Looking at Wisconsin's presumptive DL depth chart, their NTs go 300 and 315 and their DEs go 279, 286, 288 and 293. The Davis twins are 315 and 320, the Daniels are both 340, Thomas is 295, Stille is 295 and Green is 315. NU's Dline outweighs the Badgers by 20+ pound per player. At the very least, it should be hard to run against NU's line.

The Davis twins and Stille were recruited for a different defense. Looking at Wisconsin's presumptive DL depth chart, their NTs go 300 and 315 and their DEs go 279, 286, 288 and 293. The Davis twins are 315 and 320, the Daniels are both 340, Thomas is 295, Stille is 295 and Green is 315. NU's Dline outweighs the Badgers by 20+ pound per player. At the very least, it should be hard to run against NU's line.
Appreciate the research. We certainly seem to finally have the ideal size for our scheme which like you mentioned is ideal for stuffing the run.

I'm just hoping the pass rush is there. In today's high scoring, offensive environment, you may as well assume every game will be a shootout if you can't produce pressure on the QB.

Our offense is expected to be above average but it'd be a shame to score 40 plus, get outscored and lose.

Bryson Williams is projected to be the Badgers starting NT and he is listed at 300 lbs. If Carlos was playing out of psn at NT weighing 320, then Bryson should be considered dinky.

Bryson Williams is projected to be the Badgers starting NT and he is listed at 300 lbs. If Carlos was playing out of psn at NT weighing 320, then Bryson should be considered dinky.
When Carlos played NT as the backup he wasn't too bad, but when he played starter's reps he got pushed around. Our whole defensive line got pushed around by Iowa last year. Didn't matter if it was Khalil Davis or Ben Stille or Freedom or Carlos Davis, they got blown 5 yards off the ball. I don't know if Iowa's offensive line was just that good or what, but against Iowa this year I really want to see our big bodies in on the defensive line. Even if Carlos Davis doesn't start all year, I want to see him start against Iowa because as a defensive end he can definitely hold his own in the run game.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Sure, a better success rate on blitzing is needed. But I want to see a more attacking style of defense this year. Set the tone early and often.

Attacking doesn't mean blitzing. You remember a guy named Cosgrove? He was what you would like, a blitzing machine. It looks good for a while until the other team guesses or figures it out and you are burned big time. Where do you think all the big plays came from last year? More is not always better.

Reactions: barney44

Nebraska also wildly exaggerates their listed program weights, but either way, Nebraska's DL is plenty big enough.

Attacking doesn't mean blitzing. You remember a guy named Cosgrove? He was what you would like, a blitzing machine. It looks good for a while until the other team guesses or figures it out and you are burned big time. Where do you think all the big plays came from last year? More is not always better.
BANZAI !!!!

I remember the Texas game in Coz's last year (2007) - he just said F it and blitzed every down - it worked -we were up going into the 4th quarter until Texas just started handing the ball to Jamaal Charles and he ended up with ~ 300 yards on the ground

I believe SamKeller had a decent game

Last edited:
Reactions: barney44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT