ADVERTISEMENT

Pass D

BayAreaBigRed

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2007
I understand we held Oregon to 32 points, but there were a few costly Defensive errors that could have cost us the game, primarily in the secondary. For all the lockdown U talk the 4th quarter 3rd and 26 conversion by Oregon made me sick. I believe there was also a 3rd and 12 conversion too.
So happy we won, but those two plays made us depend upon a 4th and 8 conversion

Overall it was a solid defensive effort against a team that gets a lot of snaps. TBH I'm more concerned with how Oregon was routinely beating NU to the edge on run plays than I am with one salient conversion. Oregon has a fast QB and very fast RBs, but if you're a spill defense, you can't give up the boundary like that.

For what Prukop is able to do with his feet, I was VERY impressed with how they pressured and rattled him.

Overall it was a solid defensive effort against a team that gets a lot of snaps. TBH I'm more concerned with how Oregon was routinely beating NU to the edge on run plays than I am with one salient conversion. Oregon has a fast QB and very fast RBs, but if you're a spill defense, you can't give up the boundary like that.

For what Prukop is able to do with his feet, I was VERY impressed with how they pressured and rattled him.

We won't see that kind of skill speed again all year. Maybe OSU, maybe, but after that game, nada.

We got several big stops when the pressure was in its highest leverage situations.

-Forcing a punt down 20-7 late in the 2nd qtr, setting up the DPE game changing return.
-3 and out when we were down by 4 and they could've put it away late in the 4th qtr.
-Obviously, the stop with plenty of time left at the end of the game.

That is what I remember about our defense in that game.

Speaking of seeing speed like that again this year...Have ya'll seen RB Samuel from OSU? Holy crap that kid is special.

Reactions: GBRhuskers
High octane offenses make even good defenses look bad at times. Yeah, Oregon missed some throws (it's college, it happens every game), but if I would have told you before the game that we'd hold Oregon to 32 points, you would have taken it in a heartbeat.

Speaking of seeing speed like that again this year...Have ya'll seen RB Samuel from OSU? Holy crap that kid is special.

Ohio State is the fastest team in the country, on both sides of the ball, that I've watched this season. It's unreal how fast they are and the speed they play at. There were times during their game against Oklahoma that the Sooners looked like a lower level FCS team, speed wise.

Ohio State is the fastest team in the country, on both sides of the ball, that I've watched this season. It's unreal how fast they are and the speed they play at. There were times during their game against Oklahoma that the Sooners looked like a lower level FCS team, speed wise.
Yeah, they look about like they've been signing Top-5 classes for the last several years, don't they?

Only gave up 12 points in the second half... I personally could careless how many 3rd or 4th down conversions the opposing team has, as long as we keep them off the score board.

Reactions: Digger6185
I understand we held Oregon to 32 points, but there were a few costly Defensive errors that could have cost us the game, primarily in the secondary. For all the lockdown U talk the 4th quarter 3rd and 26 conversion by Oregon made me sick. I believe there was also a 3rd and 12 conversion too.

The 3rd and 26 conversion was 100% Mark Banker's fault. Rushing only 3 guys in that situation is unfathomable.

The 3rd and 26 conversion was 100% Mark Banker's fault. Rushing only 3 guys in that situation is unfathomable.
I think he learned from his lesson. On their last play he sent the house, dropped 4 deep which allowed them to flush the QB up the middle into the arms of Rose Ivey.

Reactions: stixon and HuskerO
So have others and they're not looking as fast as Ohio State.
Must be that "basic" defense that lets them play so fast!

I say that in jest, but IMO that's one thing that Meyer does well. He finds ways to get playmakers on the field and allow them to make plays without "paralysis by analysis."

I think he learned from his lesson. On their last play he sent the house, dropped 4 deep which allowed them to flush the QB up the middle into the arms of Rose Ivey.

it could be that he's better than we give him credit for, and he rushed three knowing that he was setting up his tendency in the UO's off coordinators head, and once he established the tendency, he sat on it until he needed it the most, then brought pressure when they expected a 3-man rush

I hope people realize that Langs does this as well. This coaching staff is so far ahead of the game compared to the previous staff with respect to running a system and managing tendencies. I can understand after having to watch Bo and Beck call defenses that don't adjust or call plays, sets, pressures, etc in the first half that set up plays in the second half that people take play calls at face value, short term, for what they're worth on that individual play or drive. But we would all do ourselves well to pay more attention to what sometimes looks like a poor play call in the first drive, quarter, half and mentally chart it. Review it. Do whatever you need to do to understand the impact of the play call on the bigger picture. Sometimes they are setting up plays, sometimes they are running plays to see how the opposition will adjust and respond to the play call, knowing that, depending on the opposition adjustment and response, it will help them with future decision making.

It doesn't mean they're always going to be right, that they won't make mistakes, or that we won't lose. But they are much smarter than I think many of us give them credit for. They adjust, they tweak, they put players in good positions so much more often than they were 2 seasons ago, and I can respect that. Nitpicking play calls, from my experience, is not seeing the forest through the trees.

There's something to lulling them to sleep with one thing and then surprising them with a variation.

And I'm not making stuff up about giving up the edge on the outside zone play...Benning and Semm saw it, too. They talked about it on Monday's show. Notice that play in the 4th, Gerry gets out there with his CB setting the edge and he makes a nice inside-out tackle to get Prukop.

And I'm not making stuff up about giving up the edge on the outside zone play...Benning and Semm saw it, too. They talked about it on Monday's show. Notice that play in the 4th, Gerry gets out there with his CB setting the edge and he makes a nice inside-out tackle to get Prukop.

Lamar Jackson didn't see the edge on one of their scores, and Gerry was in perfect fill position. Nate wasn't too happy. I believe Dzuris recorded a sack, not because he blew by the Oregon linemen but because he set the edge and once Prokup scrambled up field, Ross released his edge & got the sack. I think that's what happened, or it was something close.

Some good and some bad but all in all I was happy with the defense considering it's Oregon. Keeping them off the board is difficult considering that Oregon ball is as many points as possible in as little time possible, screw all other elements. I was nervous at the end there thinking they would drive very quickly and get in to scoring range, the D did it's job short of some issues in other places.

Well if Illinois st can hold them to 7 let's hope we can dominate.
Well they have more talent then that, it's close to the same team that beat Nebraska last year. They are just very inconsistent. I could see Nebraska winning 30-10 or losing 27-24. They are a weird team every year, starting strong and limiting mistakes is key against them to keep their confidence low.

Think about our defensive play in September and October of 2015. Get that mental image firmly in your mind. Then review last weekend's game again. Banker may not be the top DC in the country, but I think we're not giving enough credit to Banker and staff for progress.

Disagree... slightly.

Oregon has more skill player speed at WR, TE, RB, and yes even Prukop is faster than Barrett.

But when comparing over skill of Barrett along with offensive line talent and their defense as a whole, Oregon pales in comparison to Ohio State.

I'm most impressed with Ohio State's defense. It is special.

Well they have more talent then that, it's close to the same team that beat Nebraska last year. They are just very inconsistent. I could see Nebraska winning 30-10 or losing 27-24. They are a weird team every year, starting strong and limiting mistakes is key against them to keep their confidence low.

Not sure about NW being close to the same team. I guess they have a couple of OL, QB and RB on Offense but they replaced most of their DLine and 3 of their 4 starting DBs are out for this game. I expect a lot of pass to set up the run for the offense. Similar to the run pass option we saw against Oregon where TA would read the LB. if the LB drops into coverage he runs. If the LB fills, he hits Carter or Cotton. On defense, Nebraska will stop the run like they did last year. Hopefully the NW QB won't have the 2 long runs (68&49) which accounted for a majority of their 156 rush yards. The Nebraska pass defense is much more sound this year and they only allowed NW 177 pass yards last year.

I see Nebraska winning by 2 TDs pulling away in the 4th qtr. I'll go 31-14

Last edited:
Not sure about NW being close to the same team. I guess they have a couple of OL, QB and RB on Offense but they replaced most of their DLine and 3 of their 4 starting DBs are out for this game. I expect a lot of pass to set up the run for the offense. Similar to the run pass option we saw against Oregon where TA would read the LB. if the LB drops into coverage he runs. If the LB fills, he hits Carter or Cotton. On defense, Nebraska will stop the run like they did last year. Hopefully the NW QB won't have the 2 long runs which accounted for a majority of their 156 rush yards. The Nebraska pass defense is much more sound this year and they only allowed NW 177 pass yards last year.

I see Nebraska winning by 2 TDs pulling away in the 4th qtr. I'll go 31-14
They should, but I've thought it'd be a blowout every time, and it usually isn't.

And I was saying their offense is pretty much the same team, since he was talking about their o.

Hope Nebraska shows up and puts them away early. They've been horrible since the Tennessee game.

Solid defensive game, yes. Was it perfect, no. Lockdown U, it's just a moniker which gives the kids something to shoot for, nothing more nothing less.

Disagree... slightly.

Oregon has more skill player speed at WR, TE, RB, and yes even Prukop is faster than Barrett.

But when comparing over skill of Barrett along with offensive line talent and their defense as a whole, Oregon pales in comparison to Ohio State.

I'm most impressed with Ohio State's defense. It is special.

Urban Meyer teams are often very well prepared as well which is a huge benefit IMO. Those guys don't make too many mistakes and they're well taught. Go up against a well prepared team that doesn't make many mistakes and always has guys in position and you'll have a lot of trouble with them even if they were lacking talent. Add talented players to the equation and you have top tier teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT