ADVERTISEMENT

Party like its 1999

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
A little Prince for you to celebrate my posting history around here. I started as Cloud@Heart, but with one of the switches everyone with an @ got an _a_ which I am still bitter about.

Instead of a celebratory 2000th post, I went with the party number of 1999 and decided I should do what I do best........ Educate! Educate you non wrestling fans about your Husker Wrestling team. Its gonna be a GREAT year. Really it is!

Roster: https://huskers.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling&roster=200&sort=weight

Prediction: Third in the Nation as a team. 9 National qualifiers, 7 All Americans (top 8 finish at the National Tournament), 3 Huskers in the finals, No Champions this year...... but next year???

Here are my thoughts on who will be starting for the Huskers for the bulk of the season. There are two or three tight battles that will sort themselves out over the next month (for the most part).

125: Redshirt Freshman Alex Thomsen from across the river in Underwood. He went 13-2 last year during his redshirt. I think he is a national tournament qualifier.

133 Jevon Parrish burnt his redshirt in January last year in an attempt to bolster the team in duals. He was pretty successful but did not have a good big ten tournament and narrowly missed qualifying for Nationals. I think he does this year. A freshman from Idaho may make some ripples, Ridge Lovett. He was 169-0 in high school.

141 Chad Red has a couple of All American medals under his belt, but he definitely struggle for a few months last season. I hope he has a break out season and becomes dominating. 4th in Nation is my prediction.

149 I really like Friend, NE product Zemua Baptista here as a Junior, but I wont be surprised to see the senior from Oregon control this weight, Collin Purinton. I have hopes that one of the two can qualify for the National tourney.

157 Redshirt freshman Peyton Robb was dominant last year while wrestling behind national runner-up Berger. He was 22-3 last year and beat at least one All American at an open invite. He should wrestle in the national tournament and possibly crack the top 8. If he does, that bodes well for a top three finish and a team trophy to bring back to Devaney.

165 Isaiah White went into a little bit of an offensive drought last year but still ended up placing 6th in the nation. I think he has the ability to make the finals next year, if he ups his offensive production.

174 Sophomore Mikey Labriola should build on last years solid 6th place finish. He is ranked 2, 3, and 4 in a few pre-season publications. I hope he can make the finals.

184 Junior Taylor Venz finished 4th in the nation as a freshman. Last year he was upset in the quarters and ended up getting beat in the heart break round, going 3-2 at Nationals and narrowly missing a second All American medal. I think he finishes in the top three this year, even though he is not ranked that high.... but they are wrong!

197 Eric Schultz has went 2-2 the last two years at Nationals. This is the year he breaks through and earns All American status. He is DUE! And we need the points from him if the Huskers hope to bring home a team trophy.

HWT The Huskers have three top twenty wrestlers at this weight in my opinion. All of them Seniors. David Jensen will probably win the starting job, make it to Nationals win a match or two but then get knocked off and make me shake my head for the third year in a row. I need NEED him to prove me wrong and get on the medal stand...... Come on Mobridge South Dakota, do it for the Huskers.

This is truly the most accomplished and well rounded team that Coach Manning and Head Assistant Bryan Snyder have put on the mat in the last decade. I need them to challenge the rest of the Big Ten and push the notorious big dogs that I will not name....... GBR!

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this board and accepting Cloud a Heart even with my wacky humor and off topic posts. Get the hell off my wrestling mat!

If you made it this far...... wow! I did NOT go back and proof read, and I did it from memory, and I am having a whiskey, and that is more than enough.

First off congrats..
2nd Alex Thomson is a stud! I was surprised he picked us over iowa and all the others wanting him... hopefully he has an awesome career with us!!

First off congrats..
2nd Alex Thomson is a stud! I was surprised he picked us over iowa and all the others wanting him... hopefully he has an awesome career with us!!
My son wrestled Alex Thompson in a national dual tournament in Iowa. Lets just say the match did not go well in our favor. That kid is a stud. Has a younger brother that wrestles also that my son also wrestled with on a dual team. NU is lucky to have here.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
giphy.gif

A little Prince for you to celebrate my posting history around here. I started as Cloud@Heart, but with one of the switches everyone with an @ got an _a_ which I am still bitter about.

Instead of a celebratory 2000th post, I went with the party number of 1999 and decided I should do what I do best........ Educate! Educate you non wrestling fans about your Husker Wrestling team. Its gonna be a GREAT year. Really it is!

Prediction: Third in the Nation as a team. 9 National qualifiers, 7 All Americans (top 8 finish at the National Tournament), 3 Huskers in the finals, No Champions this year...... but next year???

Here are my thoughts on who will be starting for the Huskers for the bulk of the season. There are two or three tight battles that will sort themselves out over the next month (for the most part).

125: Redshirt Freshman Alex Thomsen from across the river in Underwood. He went 13-2 last year during his redshirt. I think he is a national tournament qualifier.

133 Jevon Parrish burnt his redshirt in January last year in an attempt to bolster the team in duals. He was pretty successful but did not have a good big ten tournament and narrowly missed qualifying for Nationals. I think he does this year. A freshman from Idaho may make some ripples, Ridge Lovett. He was 169-0 in high school.

141 Chad Red has a couple of All American medals under his belt, but he definitely struggle for a few months last season. I hope he has a break out season and becomes dominating. 4th in Nation is my prediction.

149 I really like Friend, NE product Zemua Baptista here as a Junior, but I wont be surprised to see the senior from Oregon control this weight, Collin Purinton. I have hopes that one of the two can qualify for the National tourney.

157 Redshirt freshman Peyton Robb was dominant last year while wrestling behind national runner-up Berger. He was 22-3 last year and beat at least one All American at an open invite. He should wrestle in the national tournament and possibly crack the top 8. If he does, that bodes well for a top three finish and a team trophy to bring back to Devaney.

165 Isaiah White went into a little bit of an offensive drought last year but still ended up placing 6th in the nation. I think he has the ability to make the finals next year, if he ups his offensive production.

174 Sophomore Mikey Labriola should build on last years solid 6th place finish. He is ranked 2, 3, and 4 in a few pre-season publications. I hope he can make the finals.

184 Junior Taylor Venz finished 4th in the nation as a freshman. Last year he was upset in the quarters and ended up getting beat in the heart break round, going 3-2 at Nationals and narrowly missing a second All American medal. I think he finishes in the top three this year, even though he is not ranked that high.... but they are wrong!

197 Eric Schultz has went 2-2 the last two years at Nationals. This is the year he breaks through and earns All American status. He is DUE! And we need the points from him if the Huskers hope to bring home a team trophy.

HWT The Huskers have three top twenty wrestlers at this weight in my opinion. All of them Seniors. David Jensen will probably win the starting job, make it to Nationals win a match or two but then get knocked off and make me shake my head for the third year in a row. I need NEED him to prove me wrong and get on the medal stand...... Come on Mobridge South Dakota, do it for the Huskers.

This is truly the most accomplished and well rounded team that Coach Manning and Head Assistant Bryan Snyder have put on the mat in the last decade. I need them to challenge the rest of the Big Ten and push the notorious big dogs that I will not name....... GBR!

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this board and accepting Cloud a Heart even with my wacky humor and off topic posts. Get the hell off my wrestling mat!

If you made it this far...... wow! I did NOT go back and proof read, and I did it from memory, and I am having a whiskey, and that is more than enough.

Great synopsis - as always. Unfortunately, you didn't mention my favorite Husker wrestler...….

Great synopsis - as always. Unfortunately, you didn't mention my favorite Husker wrestler...….

I know.... but him seeing the mat this year at 141 behind Red will be difficult. And I don't think he tries to make 133, but I have no inside info on that thought. Varsity in two years is something I could see happening with bumping shuffling and improvement. I think he pushes Parrish at 133 if he decides to make the cut.

I know.... but him seeing the mat this year at 141 behind Red will be difficult. And I don't think he tries to make 133, but I have no inside info on that thought. Varsity in two years is something I could see happening with bumping shuffling and improvement. I think he pushes Parrish at 133 if he decides to make the cut.

Yeah, I think his best shot is at 133, but not sure he can get there.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart

Cloud, it looks like you did pretty well in predicting the starters for the first match. The Husker Duals open tonight at Devaney, and the projected lineup from the preview on Huskers.com is below. Event is open to the public and is FREE - for anyone in the Lincoln area tonight and want to take your mind off of FB and/or BB. (Not televised, that I could see).

Nebraska's Projected Lineup
125: Alex Thomsen
133: Jevon Parrish OR Zak Hensley
141: Chad Red Jr.
149: Collin Purinton OR Zemua Baptista
157: Peyton Robb
165: Isaiah White
174: Mikey Labriola
184: Taylor Venz
197: Eric Schultz
285: David Jensen

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Husker wrestling is tough and there is no doubt about it. I believe the predictions in the OP may be a little optimistic but not by much. For those of you that are not wrestling fans I will just enlighten you a little about B1G wrestling. As tough as the conference is in football, it is about twice as tough in wrestling. Very realistic for a team to finish 4th in the conference tournament but end up 5th in the nation.

Husker wrestling is tough and there is no doubt about it. I believe the predictions in the OP may be a little optimistic but not by much. For those of you that are not wrestling fans I will just enlighten you a little about B1G wrestling. As tough as the conference is in football, it is about twice as tough in wrestling. Very realistic for a team to finish 4th in the conference tournament but end up 5th in the nation.

Think B1G volleyball tough - very similar.

Cloud, it looks like you did pretty well in predicting the starters for the first match. The Husker Duals open tonight at Devaney, and the projected lineup from the preview on Huskers.com is below. Event is open to the public and is FREE - for anyone in the Lincoln area tonight and want to take your mind off of FB and/or BB. (Not televised, that I could see).

Nebraska's Projected Lineup
125:
Alex Thomsen
133: Jevon Parrish OR Zak Hensley
141: Chad Red Jr.
149: Collin Purinton OR Zemua Baptista
157: Peyton Robb
165: Isaiah White
174: Mikey Labriola
184: Taylor Venz
197: Eric Schultz
285: David Jensen
It looks like we may get to see a pirate in action.... Your favorite Husker!

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Beat a scrappy UNK team 47-0

125 Edwin Thomsen (Nebraska) over Unknown (MD 17-6)

133 Zak Hensley (Nebraska) over Scott Fulsos (Nebraska-Kearney) (Dec 5-0)

141 Chad Red (Nebraska) over Wesley Dawkins (Nebraska-Kearney) (Dec 10-7)

149 Collin Purinton (Nebraska) over Teontae Wilson (Nebraska-Kearney) (TF 19-3 4:40)

157 Peyton Robb (Nebraska) over Jacob Wasser (Nebraska-Kearney) (Inj. 0:00)

165 Isaiah White (Nebraska) over Matt Malcom (Nebraska-Kearney) (Dec 6-4)

174 Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) over Talon Seitz (Nebraska-Kearney) (Fall 2:09)

184 Taylor Venz (Nebraska) over Terrell Garraway (Nebraska-Kearney) (Fall 3:24)

197 Eric Schultz (Nebraska) over Jace Lacaille (Nebraska-Kearney) (TF 26-11 5:00)

285 David Jensen (Nebraska) over Lee Herrington (Nebraska-Kearney) (Fall 2:57)

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT