ADVERTISEMENT

Part of problem - Nebraska hype

Native Nebraskan

Sophomore
Feb 20, 2006
Part of Nebraska's problem since 2000 is the year long hype. Media is constantly producing "positive" stories to feed the Nebraska Nation. The coaches from the top down go along. For media it's about selling and profits. The players get caught up in this mess and don't understand reality. Riley likes to be Mr. Nice Guy and not be truthful with the players and the media. I know Snider at K- State along with Patterson at TCU don't sugar coat to the players or the media. The negative at Nebraska is Nebraska Football is what sells and the media provides with all kinds of positive twists all year long. Just look at how many online reports are out there these days. Football is a hard nose game. The media with all kinds of positive twists on stories and past history all year long aren't doing the program any favors. Example, all the hype about Tanner Lee from camps. But it appears he is performing just like he did at Tulane in actual games. Media is partially to balame for giving everyone a false sense of reality. The result is the hype about recruiting and the future.

Reactions: beatdahuskers
A serious question - do you really believe all that is written? I dont pay much attention to what is written. I am more of a show me rather than talk about it kind of guy. I always think talk is cheap but you have to prove it on the field.

I do agree there are probanly too many feel good stories.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Part of Nebraska's problem since 2000 is the year long hype. Media is constantly producing "positive" stories to feed the Nebraska Nation. The coaches from the top down go along. For media it's about selling and profits. The players get caught up in this mess and don't understand reality. Riley likes to be Mr. Nice Guy and not be truthful with the players and the media. I know Snider at K- State along with Patterson at TCU don't sugar coat to the players or the media. The negative at Nebraska is Nebraska Football is what sells and the media provides with all kinds of positive twists all year long. Just look at how many online reports are out there these days. Football is a hard nose game. The media with all kinds of positive twists on stories and past history all year long aren't doing the program any favors. Example, all the hype about Tanner Lee from camps. But it appears he is performing just like he did at Tulane in actual games. Media is partially to balame for giving everyone a false sense of reality. The result is the hype about recruiting and the future.
Yes, and a part of that is the growth and infatuation with a niche recruiting industry. Outside of the 5stars and maybe high 4s...players that even the nerds that work for clicks(raters),and anyone with eye balls can tell is good, the majority of 4 star kids or three star, even some 2 star, and even some no star walk one have negligible difference. People buy it though. It's part of the winning the off season magic show referenced in articles this week.

We are good at hype, and collective very gullible.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I seem to recall a couple negative stories and those OWH writers were ripped to shreds for being so negative :D

Turns out they might have been right... but I sure as heck didn't want to believe them. I will take the positive.

The problem is simply our current results. Media hype or not, Indone think Nebraska fans would be OK with this mediocre product.

Do you feel worse that good stories are written? The self-loathing of our fan base is unbelievable. You'd rather whip yourself in repentance than feel good about something. So, only good stories when we are winning conference championships or only when we win the NC?

Yes, and a part of that is the growth and infatuation with a niche recruiting industry. Outside of the 5stars and maybe high 4s...players that even the nerds that work for clicks(raters),and anyone with eye balls can tell is good, the majority of 4 star kids or three star, even some 2 star, and even some no star walk one have negligible difference. People buy it though. It's part of the winning the off season magic show referenced in articles this week.

We are good at hype, and collective very gullible.
Yeah recruiting hype, the thing I hate most about college football today. The amount of attention these kids get from adults in the recruiting industry is asinine. They're 18 year old kids and they have the life references of an 18 year old.

So nothing has changed since the 70's, 80's, 90's...except...our players have started buying the hype? Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT