ADVERTISEMENT

Packers just missed a chip shot field goal.

Still want him gone next year..
No improvement on kickoffs and only status quo on punt returns which has been better this year so far..
I totally agree with you about Foley. We know it's not in Rhule's nature to boot coaches unless they do the booze or affair gig, but surely they can find a spot in the department for Foley to keep receiving his bloated salary in exchange for his services.

In this highly competitive, multi million dollar business, you just can't have subpar performers parading around as the head of critical positions such as ST's... or RB's or WR's or maybe even OL.

The only improvement we've shown on punt returns is that we are fielding the ball and not letting it hit the turf and roll. That's better than nothing, but we need that punt returner to be a weapon. Now who would that be?

They need to change Garcia's position description from WR to fair catcher of punts.

We've kind of hijacked this thread, so I'm gonna end my part now. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: drubendall
It has become way too convenient for ST coaches to put the punter at holder and have a specific LS so those guys can hang out all practice and they all end up preferring the same brand of sweet tea to drink during said practice. The problem is what to do when they are all sh!tty at their jobs.

There are other guys on Nebraska’s team that would be better holders and better long-snappers, but that would take a little extra work for everyone involved.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
It has become way too convenient for ST coaches to put the punter at holder and have a specific LS so those guys can hang out all practice and they all end up preferring the same brand of sweet tea to drink during said practice. The problem is what to do when they are all sh!tty at their jobs.

There are other guys on Nebraska’s team that would be better holders and better long-snappers, but that would take a little extra work for everyone involved.
It has become a total drag on the offensive approach when you know you can't rely on moving into 35 yard field goal range for an easy 3 points that moves the lead from 6 to 9 points, or to break a tie late in the game.

Garcia's no game-breaker, but at least he's doing a little something back there. Compared to recent years, he's Johnny the Jet Rodgers.
Well. I watched JR return punts for 3 years and he never fair caught one in his Husker career, so that's a pretty poor example. And yes, JR was a weapon not just a defensive measure.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wow. Obvious blown replay call by the headquarters. That was a no doubter over turn and they let it stand. 😳

Well. I watched JR return punts for 3 years and he never fair caught one in his Husker career, so that's a pretty poor example. And yes, JR was a weapon not just a defensive measure.
Didn't really think I'd have to explain to anyone that I wasn't actually comparing Garcia to JR, but I guess I was wrong.

You said compared to recent years, he's Johnny the Jet Rodgers.
Yes, the point I was making was how horrifically awful the Huskers' punt return game has been for the past several years. For those teams, a fair catch was the best-case scenario, and just as often the ball would hit the ground and roll 15 yards.

Garcia's at least catching the ball, making a few short returns, and not giving up tons of field position. It's nothing to shout about, but he's actually a bright spot for NU's otherwise dismal special teams.

Yes, the point I was making was how horrifically awful the Huskers' punt return game has been for the past several years. For those teams, a fair catch was the best-case scenario, and just as often the ball would hit the ground and roll 15 yards.

Garcia's at least catching the ball, making a few short returns, and not giving up tons of field position. It's nothing to shout about, but he's actually a bright spot for NU's otherwise dismal special teams.
But, isn't that the fricking minimum considering ST's are 1/3rd of the game?

Wow people actually thought you were comparing the 2. I think sometimes people read to fast and do not pick up the context of what was said. I understood what you were getting at

Reactions: schuele
Hohl yanked his first field goal attempt. The blocks weren't on him IMO. People bitching about the freshman kicker aren't being logical. Ultimately Foley will bear the responsibility but having kickers struggle isn't anything new at NU. We were spoiled with Tom but I seem to remember a missed field goal costing us an Orange Bowl,,,, Our starter for whatever reason hasn't recovered as expected from his surgery. We have a backup who if you actually watch him kick looks pretty damned good. Those 3 extra points are going to help him build confidence...I hope.
The blocks are at least partially on him. His kicks have a low trajectory

Love 0-2 after successfully extorting the owner-less packers

Hate to see it

The blocks are at least partially on him. His kicks have a low trajectory
They didn't on the extra points with good snaps and holds. You're taking too much from a kid trying to kick a ball where the timing and place is messed up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT