ADVERTISEMENT

Packers just missed a chip shot field goal.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
fire Bisaccia. Never mind that he's one of the highest regarded special teams coaches in the NFL....

Let's talk after 4 straight misses and 2 blocked fgs in 2 games. No comparison
I'll concede it took them too long to bench Alvano and replace the snapper. Let's let the season run for a while before we start calling for heads.

How are the Vikings this good and do you think they regert wasting their #1 on that skinny meet chicken dude?.
I said from the start they shouldn't have traded up to draft McCarthy. I also said I like Darnold's chances of being successful more than McCarthy's just from an experience and arm talent view. Darnold has played for some crappy franchises. I'm pleasantly surprised by the Vikings defense. I thought they should have gone CB instead of QB in the first round.

I haven't called for any coaches head yet. But the comparison was not apples to apples at all
Hohl yanked his first field goal attempt. The blocks weren't on him IMO. People bitching about the freshman kicker aren't being logical. Ultimately Foley will bear the responsibility but having kickers struggle isn't anything new at NU. We were spoiled with Tom but I seem to remember a missed field goal costing us an Orange Bowl,,,, Our starter for whatever reason hasn't recovered as expected from his surgery. We have a backup who if you actually watch him kick looks pretty damned good. Those 3 extra points are going to help him build confidence...I hope.

Hohl yanked his first field goal attempt. The blocks weren't on him IMO. People bitching about the freshman kicker aren't being logical. Ultimately Foley will bear the responsibility but having kickers struggle isn't anything new at NU. We were spoiled with Tom but I seem to remember a missed field goal costing us an Orange Bowl,,,, Our starter for whatever reason hasn't recovered as expected from his surgery. We have a backup who if you actually watch him kick looks pretty damned good. Those 3 extra points are going to help him build confidence...I hope.
I get it. But missing the fg's are not the only problem with special teams. The botched snap causing a block-special teams. Punt coverage issues special teams. There are a lot of problems in special teams outside of the fg kickers. Although that is a glaring issue.

How are the Vikings this good and do you think they regert wasting their #1 on that skinny meet chicken dude?.
I knew they would be pretty solid based on KOC‘s first two years, but it would hinge Darnold who has been up to the task so far. Aaron Jones signing was pretty good, assuming he can stay healthy, which has been his problem. Vikings have a very good line full of veterans mostly. I believe they have the best wide receiver room in the league. We know Justin Jefferson is top three in the league, but Rager and Addison are both really good players for as young as they are.

Rookie kicker has been as good as advertised

Despite losing star power on defense, the fill-ins have done really good job. it’s kind of a no-name defense, but they play hard and Flores probably is the best defense coordinator in the league.

If Darnold can continue to play well, and the injury situation is OK, they could make a run in the playoffs.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I get it. But missing the fg's are not the only problem with special teams. The botched snap causing a block-special teams. Punt coverage issues special teams. There are a lot of problems in special teams outside of the fg kickers. Although that is a glaring issue.
And as Tom would say, you work with your assistants to fix the problem areas. Foley is a good coach. They'll do everything humanly possible to address the issues. We're so quick to assign blame to people when sometimes it's just one 19 year old that f's up. I've employed 19-23 year olds. I have no idea how college coaches put a team on the field.

I knew they would be pretty solid based on KOC‘s first two years, but it would hinge Darnold who has been up to the task so far. Aaron Jones signing was pretty good, assuming he can stay healthy, which has been his problem. Vikings have a very good line full of veterans mostly. I believe they have the best wide receiver room in the league. We know Justin Jefferson is top three in the league, but Rager and Addison are both really good players for as young as they are.

Rookie kicker has been as good as advertised

Despite losing star power on defense, the fill-ins have done really good job. it’s kind of a no-name defense, but they play hard and Flores probably is the best defense coordinator in the league.

If Donald can continue to play well, and the injury situation is OK, they could make a run in the playoffs.
They picked up some good free agents on defense most importantly Gilmore late at CB. They had a GAPING hole at CB.

They picked up some good free agents on defense most importantly Gilmore late at CB. They had a GAPING hole at CB.
It’s always good to have a veteran like Gilmore come in, but I would argue that Greenard and Van Ginkel were even more impactful. I don’t know who’s been evaluating free agents for them, if it’s Kwesi or KOC, but they’re doing a great job

I personally don't think that kicking can really be coached/taught. If it could you would have a lot more really good kickers out there.

My guess is that most ST coaches could not make a 35 yard FG.

In all my years of coaching I am not sure if I have ever actually seen a coach really "help" our kickers all that much.

It’s always good to have a veteran like Gilmore come in, but I would argue that Greenard and Van Ginkel were even more impactful. I don’t know who’s been evaluating free agents for them, if it’s Kwesi or KOC, but they’re doing a great job
Van Ginkel has been really good. Hope he can stay healthy.

Are you white-knighting for John Hohl who is ranked 139th (dead last in the NCAA) in field goals?
Statistics don't tell the story in his case. Go watch his 3 extra points where he got a good snap and hold. Dead center and would have been good from 45+. It takes 3 guys to do their job for a kicker to make a field goal.

It's beyond ridiculous to blame him for those blocked field goals.

That worst-GM-in-all-of-human-history looks pretty smart now that the Vikings aren't blowing 20% or more of their payroll on a QB with one playoff win.
I still can't stand the guy. I think his drafting has been terrible. They did some good things in free agents. Darnold was O'Connell's guy in free agency and he's been the difference for them.

He didn't look so good last year without a QB but he's done very good job with what he's had to work with. Flores was a huge addition for them.
Seriously?

Didn’t he win games with 2 guys they signed off the street like 5 minutes before kickoff last year?

Seriously?

Didn’t he win games with 2 guys they signed off the street like 5 minutes before kickoff last year?
Dobbs did it with his legs until teams figured out how to stop that. EVERY head coach needs a good QB and an elite one if you're going to win consistently. I'm a big fan of O'Connell.

Reactions: king_kong_
Too bad we can't use a backup QB like the NAIA kid as the holder, or even Alex Bullock.

And I disagree with the others in here, the ST's overall just keep getting worse and worse under Foley.
Still want him gone next year..
No improvement on kickoffs and only status quo on punt returns which has been better this year so far..

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Goodness. Vikings starting punt returner gets his bell run so they put the backup in the game and he muffs the punt....

wow. Way to go LeFleur. You would have had the ball on the half yard line instead you draw the 15 yard flag.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT