ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 Kicking Expansion Tires

Wow, SMU has 12,500 students and SDSU 35,500 students. UCLA has 47,500 and USC has 49,300. Somehow 48,000 doesn't seem to equal 96,800. When extrapolated to how many students, alums, and associated fans exist who watch football, losing USC and UCLA has been a crushing blow to PAC 12 media negotiations.

Can't believe SDSU has 35K. When I was on Camp Pendleton many moons ago it was more like a community college with 15K or so.

Wow, SMU has 12,500 students and SDSU 35,500 students. UCLA has 47,500 and USC has 49,300. Somehow 48,000 doesn't seem to equal 96,800. When extrapolated to how many students, alums, and associated fans exist who watch football, losing USC and UCLA has been a crushing blow to PAC 12 media negotiations.

Can't believe SDSU has 35K. When I was on Camp Pendleton many moons ago it was more like a community college with 15K or so.
Semper Fi.

The non-football talent at SDSU was 5* quality.

tenor.gif

Reactions: huntered
The pac 12 and big 12 need to join to maximize their value.

Oregon and UW are in a tough spot - they are big ten quality but don’t move the needle financially. They needed to partner with USC and UCLA in order to make it financially worthwhile for the BIG to take them

I’m sure it’s like UCF and many are locals and older folks away from campus

The pac 12 and big 12 need to join to maximize their value.

Oregon and UW are in a tough spot - they are big ten quality but don’t move the needle financially. They needed to partner with USC and UCLA in order to make it financially worthwhile for the BIG to take them
Yup but the pac 12 consider themselves better than the big XII.

The systemic problem is, as Brett McMurphy stated, ESPN and Fox have given up on the Western third of the United States regarding college football because no one cares, no one watches, stadiums are empty (UCLA and USC included) and that trend is increasing fast. The sports media have pushed all their chips to the center of the table, and the bet is on the Southeast as being the final stand of college football. Actually, it damn near already is.

The systemic problem is, as Brett McMurphy stated, ESPN and Fox have given up on the Western third of the United States regarding college football because no one cares, no one watches, stadiums are empty (UCLA and USC included) and that trend is increasing fast. The sports media have pushed all their chips to the center of the table, and the bet is on the Southeast as being the final stand of college football. Actually, it damn near already is.

It doesn't help that many of their games don't even start until like 11pm Eastern time, or later. Who is going to stay up until 3am to watch a regular season college football game. But if they schedule more afternoon games, nobody is going to watch Pac-12 games over the premier SEC and Big Ten games on at the same time.

It will be interesting to see if Oregon can stay relevant in a conference without USC. They have all of that Nike money and swag, but will recruits want to come there to play against a bunch of crappy programs that nobody wants to watch?

"...many of their games don't even start until like 11pm Eastern time, or later. Who is going to stay up until 3am to watch a regular season college football game."

That's concerned me with USC & UCLA joining the B1G. I hope that doesn't happen often with any of our future matchups. Maybe that's all been addressed though. I dunno.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they? Seeing TCU and Utah have success at the power 5 level would certainly be motivation for them.

Big fish small pond theory. Novelty. Blue turf.....join the big dawgs and lose a large chunk of your wins/success. It's just a thought. We'll see soon enough cause yhe list of schools worth of a Pac 12 invite is pretty damn small.

Big fish small pond theory. Novelty. Blue turf.....join the big dawgs and lose a large chunk of your wins/success. It's just a thought. We'll see soon enough cause yhe list of schools worth of a Pac 12 invite is pretty damn small.
It happened with Utah and TCU when they started playing the big boys. However, they caught up and are competitive in their respective conferences. No reason why the same thing couldn't happen with Boise State.

"...many of their games don't even start until like 11pm Eastern time, or later. Who is going to stay up until 3am to watch a regular season college football game."

That's concerned me with USC & UCLA joining the B1G. I hope that doesn't happen often with any of our future matchups. Maybe that's all been addressed though. I dunno.
Wait till they have to play a 11:00 am game in Madison or Minneapolis..

Wasn't it stated that the BIG and networks want BIG games from noon E.T. all the way until the normal west coast time slot? Basically, one of the UCLA and USC home games would start later. So I may be wrong but I envisioned that one of them would always be playing at home each week. So they could always start a game in that late time slot.

Not a terrible idea. So NU would theoretically have 1 late game a year at most. UCLA Rutgers I'm not staying up. USC MN? Maybe or probably. UCLA Wisconsin? Maybe.

The BIG has been cutting edge for maximizing TV revenue. This is just another expansion of that. Everyone hates the Friday night games but I think viewership wise they do pretty decent and helpen sweeten the TV contract.

Wasn't it stated that the BIG and networks want BIG games from noon E.T. all the way until the normal west coast time slot? Basically, one of the UCLA and USC home games would start later. So I may be wrong but I envisioned that one of them would always be playing at home each week. So they could always start a game in that late time slot.

Not a terrible idea. So NU would theoretically have 1 late game a year at most. UCLA Rutgers I'm not staying up. USC MN? Maybe or probably. UCLA Wisconsin? Maybe.

The BIG has been cutting edge for maximizing TV revenue. This is just another expansion of that. Everyone hates the Friday night games but I think viewership wise they do pretty decent and helpen sweeten the TV contract.
I don't mind the friday night games

just sucks it's always vs rutgers

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

Agree on Friday. We're doing our part on black Friday. No more for NU please. Any other teams play 2 Fridays???

The Friday games aren’t ideal. But I think they do better from a ratings standpoint than they would interspersed in the regular Saturday lineup.

Some will watch Rutgers on a Friday night when they are the only game on. No one is watching them on Saturday.

Reactions: king_kong_
There are really only a "few" teams that move the needle in terms of ratings.

No one has ever said "Can you turn on the SDSU game" which is fine, no one has ever said that about most games and most teams. We, us posters, represent such a tiny % of fans

The Pac 12 is trying to keep Washington and Oregon, good for them for trying, I can't wait to see that amazing crowd for that SMU vs Stanford game and I am sure the ratings will be amazing! But, all that matters is advertising.

As a viewer at home I like the late games. Gives me a chance to sit back and just relax and not think too much. I'll sit and watch a Hawaii game while occasionally tabbing through the days games, etc. catching up.

Or a home BIG NOON game on Fox - you think anyone is going to show for a game in LA at 9am
I don't think that's how it's going to work. I could be wrong but I think the west coast games will almost always be the later time slots. Now those fans might complain about playing OSU at 9 am but I'm guessing they tell them to suck it up, they cashed the TV check. Like they did to us with the uneven scheduling all these years.

The Friday games aren’t ideal. But I think they do better from a ratings standpoint than they would interspersed in the regular Saturday lineup.

Some will watch Rutgers on a Friday night when they are the only game on. No one is watching them on Saturday.
I don't mind the Friday night game right now because I don't have kids in Friday night sports. But early Saturday games result in me racing home or watching it on my phone.

It doesn't help that many of their games don't even start until like 11pm Eastern time, or later. Who is going to stay up until 3am to watch a regular season college football game. But if they schedule more afternoon games, nobody is going to watch Pac-12 games over the premier SEC and Big Ten games on at the same time.

It will be interesting to see if Oregon can stay relevant in a conference without USC. They have all of that Nike money and swag, but will recruits want to come there to play against a bunch of crappy programs that nobody wants to watch?
Oregon might be better off going independent. As the PAC 12 sits it’s kind of going to be like that anyway. The issue for Oregon becomes trying to get high profile TV games from non-conference foes that TV is willing to write big check for. I hate the conference realignment. It makes zero geographical sense.

Last edited:
I always thought that the Pac-12 schools were academic snobs, even moreso than the Big-10 or ACC. If they go for Boise State and Fresno State, they will start to lose some of the cache that sets them apart. Then they'll just be heading towards WAC/Big Sky territory.
The difference: B1G snobs understand it's football that makes the money for academics. PAC snobs know it and don't care (nor do PAC "fans".

Reactions: moralvictories
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT