ADVERTISEMENT

OWH: Fall Breakdown

saluno22

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2006
Hadn't seen this posted yet...

Looks like we have our starting rotation "set":
Friday: Povich
Saturday: Hroch (New Mexico State grad transfer)
Sunday: Schanaman

So no Gomes or Perry in the weekend rotation for now. They're talking about Jake Bunz and Koty Frank as the #4 guy.

Bullpen:
Gomes
Schwellenbach
Wynne (Texas A&M transfer)
Schreiber
Tillotson (amazing this guy is still just a junior, but injuries and COVID)
Bradford
Bragg

Sounds like Chick continues to add a lot of power at the plate. Fun seeing 5'9 guys do that.

Freshman infielders Brice Matthews and Max Anderson (no shocker there) had good falls at the plate.

Lots of options at 1B: Boynton, Banjoff, JC transfer Griffin Everitt. No mention of Gomes.

Wonder if they’ll get Gomes back in a closer role. Honestly that’s probably where he excelled best. At minimum he’d be a great setup guy. Was never starting material honestly.

I think we have a chance to be pretty good if that rotation lives up to the hype. The defense and bats are exciting for sure. I imagine a few guys will move on after the fall however. Nobody in line to get playing time by any means.

Perry had TJ, he's out for the 2021 season. Gomes had some cleanup done which held him out of the fall, but he's expected to be full strength once practice starts back up in January. Colby is a PO, no 2-way option, which is a good thing, assuming he buys in...

That's a heck of a weekend rotation with an outstanding bullpen. It's been awhile since we've had this number of quality arms as we currently have. Coach Christy has filled that group up quickly.

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised that Bragg wasn't listed as challenging for a starting pitching job in the weekday group. To me that's a positive sign that we have depth. I think I like the potential of our bullpen more than the starters. Wynne's stuff was nasty in that streaming scrimmage.

Good to hear Hagge is working on the small ball aspect and did well in fall ball. Finding playing time for everyone is going to be a challenge.

Boynton transferring is a loss. In some ways though it's made it easier to make out a lineup. I figure the guys that have a lot of previous starts probably will get the edge to start the season. So I got Roskum,Banjoff,Schwellenback,Chick,Hagge,Acker and Hallmark pencilled into my lineup. I also pencilled in Foster as he had a lot of starts at A&M. That leaves one open position for a newcomer to start and Anderson was the most impressive so he's starting.

So this is my batting line up..

1) Hagge LF (L) Read somewhere he had a good fall. Was good at bunt singles. He has a career OBP of .362. Reliable in the OF. I like a left handed bat somewhere in the top of the lineup.
2) Schwellenbach SS (R) Good OBP of .407
3) Anderson 2nd(R) Might play 3rd instead of 2nd. I think Chick is more suited for 3rd though rather than 2nd due to his range so that's why I have Anderson at 2nd. Anderson might bat 4th if Banjoff is slotted in the 3 spot. I think Anderson will have a good OBP.
4) Banjoff 1st (R) Probably our best overall bat. I almost put him 3rd but I think he has more power than Anderson so put him here. I wouldn't be surprised if he batted 3rd.
5) Roskum(L) C. Roskum doesn't have the greatest power but I wanted a left hand bat here. Chick was considered but his OBP isn't the greatest. Chick is showing some power though. I decided to weight the OBP guys towards the top.. Roskum has a decent OBP.
6) Foster DH (R) Decent middle of the lineup bat. Could play RF as well.
7) Chick 3rd (S/L). Thought I read somewhere that Chick was giving up the switch hitting and concentrating on being a Lefty. Could be wrong. If Chick keeps showing good power and better OBP he may end up in the 5 spot and Roskum here. Could play 3rd or 2nd. I didn't think he looked all that great in the OF.
8) Hallmark(R) RF Think I read somewhere Hallmark was doing some switch hitting. Not sure if he should stick with that or not. Speed guy.
I think he will pitch and play RF. Could play 2nd too per previous years and has played CF. Versatile.
9) Acker CF (R). Thought he did a good job in CF. Speed at the backup of the lineup.

For reserves, these are the guys that stuck out to me Matthews looks like a player and will get some work in a reserve roll. I am excited about his future. I like Satori as one of our better reserve OF and Cerventes as a reserve infielder. Hellstrom and Everitt can battle for backup catcher. Everitt gives you a little more offensively but Hellstrom is a known quantity behind the plate. I expect these guys to get spot time as the season goes along. Anglim would be the other guy I want to mention. He may not show a whole lot this year but should figure in the future.

8) Hallmark(R) RF Think I read somewhere Hallmark was doing some switch hitting. Not sure if he should stick with that or not. Speed guy.
I believe he was hitless batting left handed in the fall scrimmages.

2 live stream games is not much to base an opinion on but I like to generate discussion and pickup some actual knowledge. Throwing mud at the wall works not only for brainstorming but for learning as well. I like to glean as much as I can.

Sauluno22 - I think your right about Hallmark's left hand hitting especially after not doing it for 3 years. I kind of wondered if he was having any success at it.

Hskrbsbl2020 - I am 100% sure you know way more about baseball than I do, so I can say I am glad I'm on track in identifying the players that can help us. I definitely gave the returners the benefit of doubt due in part to not being able to see newcomers live in scrimmages and because there will be no non-conference games. (At least at this time.)

I hear ya, I'm just not someone who would state opinions without seeing or having a feel for how things went to form said opinion. Your follow-up clarifies everything so it's appreciated & I'll delete my response.

Not sure why you would delete your first post? I thought it was a great post. You are taking my post the wrong way. I think you should post more. I am glad I am getting responses and opinions. I meant what I said. I state opinions and hope people in the know correct me when I am off or validate if I am on the right track. I was not trying to be snarky. You have posted before and I can tell you know way more about this than I do. That's probably applies to 90% of the people that post here as I am pretty much at the little league knowledge level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
I don’t think Chick starts but could be wrong. Otherwise it looks like a good guess. Infield has a ton of depth. Outfield not as much. However the best hitters will play regardless. Pitching will ultimately decide the success of this team.

The OF has more depth than before, especially quality depth.

Returning guys with starts; Banjoff, Acker & Hagge although I believe Banjoff will mostly be an IF'er going forward. Plus the adds of Foster, Sartori, Anglim then Hallmark getting work there in the fall plus Matthews is an extreme athlete who can interchange in the grass as well. We have many options in the OF.

The depth of the defense is astounding, all over the field.

Someone had mentioned Tyler Martin was throwing off the bump during the holiday break. I think they saw it on social media somewhere. Keep an eye on that, if he's available from the start of the season, I'm hopeful a pain free arm will not just be beneficial for him and his performances but more importantly the bullpen/team.

Because I'm bored and like to do lineups, I have done a revised one.
Feel free to correct my logic if it's poor.

1) Schwellenbach (R) obp .407 Since he will pitch a little I put him here so he gets as many bats as possible. He's done lead off before.
2) Anderson (R) - Looks like last year's Banjoff. Batted in the top part of the lineup in the scrimmages so figured it's an audition.
3) Banjoff(R) - Had the best 2020 going until the plug was pulled. OPS was > 1
4) Roskam (L) Foster would be a better pick here as Foster has a better slugging pct but I wanted to split up the lefties. Roskam does have a slightly better obp so I moved him up.
5) Foster (R). Career OPS is similar to Schwellenbach at .803. With their career numbers I probably should put Banjoff 2nd, Foster 3rd and Anderson 5th. Oh well, I will do that next week.
6) Hallmark(R). I figure Hallmark will pitch a little too so I put him in here so they can slip an offensive player in here late in the game. Hallmark had a good start going in 2020. So moved him up.
7) Chick(S) His slugging is only .387 and his OBP is only .337 but for some reason I think he's going to improve the SLG. Plus I need a lefty in to break up our right hand dominant lineup. You could swap Hallmark and Chick too.
8) Acker (R) Has improved every year. Had a good 2020 going before it was called. I think he will have a good year.
9) Hagge (L). I have had Hagge everywhere in the lineup. I could swap him with Chick too. I was probably over zealous on his new found bunting to put him in lead-off. This might be a good spot for him. He's a grinder and I want a grinder at the last spot to turn over the lineup.

I like the bench. Cervantes,Satori and Everitt all hit well in Juco and looked capable on defense. Matthews looks like he could be a terror on the base paths and brings range on defense. Good looking athlete, he will get his chances.
Hellstrom is an engima to me. He has size but walks and singles is his game.

The only thing that I can guarantee is that this lineup will be wrong, but if I do enough of them I will get one right.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT