ADVERTISEMENT

OWH: Erstad's Optimism (OWH subscription required)

Thanks

But, Erstad has been around long enough for me to know he talks a good game. It rarely if ever translates to the field. Didn’t read the article as I don’t have a subscription but I imagine it’s very similar to his thoughts in previous seasons.

Reactions: saluno22
Thanks

But, Erstad has been around long enough for me to know he talks a good game. It rarely if ever translates to the field. Didn’t read the article as I don’t have a subscription but I imagine it’s very similar to his thoughts in previous seasons.
Yeah, I didn't read it either (no subscription), but might remember to look when a coworker brings in the newspaper to the office tomorrow. What are the odds he mentioned talking to Osborne in the offseason? That's been his go-to move the last couple years.

Pump the brakes a minute sal
you want me to believe Erstad went to Osborne...
after receiving 2017 B1G Coach of the Year honors???
Maybe after 2015 Winking
You know I respect your thoughts 13, but I'm not there yet.
But I did go out and get the Sunday World Herald today.
Basically about... should Erstad stay or should he go.
Gives arguments for both sides of the coin.
Good article. Worth reading.

I'm going in with an open mind and the willingness to erase the past, for now (good and Bad). Don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional to what happened last season or in the post season the few years before. If it truly was the injuries to the pitching staff last year (as many on here and in the AD claim) then we should be in for a pretty good year right? Top 4-5 finish and regional birth at minimum?

One can only hope right? :confused:

If it truly was the injuries to the pitching staff last year (as many on here and in the AD claim) then we should be in for a pretty good year right? Top 4-5 finish and regional birth at minimum?

Yeah I don't know why those people turn a blind eye to the failures of the offensive side of the equation. Erstad as a hitting coach is at best so-so :oops: When he promised "chaos on the basepaths" I didn't know that meant running ourselves out of innings all the time.

I'm going in with an open mind and the willingness to erase the past, for now (good and Bad). Don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional to what happened last season or in the post season the few years before. If it truly was the injuries to the pitching staff last year (as many on here and in the AD claim) then we should be in for a pretty good year right? Top 4-5 finish and regional birth at minimum?

I have zero expectations for this year other than expecting a 2-9 start and b/c baseball happens, maybe 4-7. After that I'm all wait and see.

This is from the end of the article...
Athletic Director Bill Moos said this month he believes health and a resumption of previous trends will be enough for Erstad to prove last season was more fluke than fate.

“He’s a solid, competitive, passionate coach who wears it on his sleeve,” Moos said. “He’s not one to run around and toot the horn — certainly not his — and be overly optimistic. But what I’m hearing in our discussions, he’s very excited about the season and the prospects that we’re going to be hopefully in the mix.”

I guess DE is excited about the season. Who knows, maybe we can pitch.

I have zero expectations for this year other than expecting a 2-9 start and b/c baseball happens, maybe 4-7. After that I'm all wait and see.

Athletic Director Bill Moos said this month he believes health and a resumption of previous trends will be enough for Erstad to prove last season was more fluke than fate.

“He’s a solid, competitive, passionate coach who wears it on his sleeve,” Moos said. “He’s not one to run around and toot the horn — certainly not his — and be overly optimistic. But what I’m hearing in our discussions, he’s very excited about the season and the prospects that we’re going to be hopefully in the mix.”

I do know he loves this Freshman class. Very talented. Along with healthy pitching it does set up for a decent year on paper. Time will tell but I hope he’s right. GBR

Ha! I hadn't seen this post yet and said 4-7 would be my expectation after three weekends in this thread. I thought I was being a downer, glad to see others share that sentiment.

Reactions: sklarbodds
I do know he loves this Freshman class. Very talented. Along with healthy pitching it does set up for a decent year on paper. Time will tell but I hope he’s right. GBR
I was talking to a coworker who is a casual Husker baseball fan about this season's outlook. This year's recruiting class ranking being high was the biggest thing I'm excited about, but told him that if Erstad misses the conference tournament again, he has to go. He'll get some leash this season even after last year because there are a lot of new parts and he actually recruited really well from a class depth and roster composition perspective for once. But it shouldn't be that difficult for a team that invests in baseball as much as Nebraska does relative to the rest of the conference to finish in the top 8 out of 13 teams. Making a deep run in the conference tournament, especially being local, will endear Erstad to fans after the last few years (even winning the regular season two years ago).

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I was talking to a coworker who is a casual Husker baseball fan about this season's outlook. This year's recruiting class ranking being high was the biggest thing I'm excited about, but told him that if Erstad misses the conference tournament again, he has to go. He'll get some leash this season even after last year because there are a lot of new parts and he actually recruited really well from a class depth and roster composition perspective for once.
No way Erstad would be gone after this year. But maybe if he missed the conference tournament the next 2 years in a row, sadly. It's just what it is for a 3rd tier sport

I do like the young talent as well. I have some high hopes they can put together a good second half and be a decent competitor in the league.

I do not expect a good start (record wise)

No way Erstad would be gone after this year. But maybe if he missed the conference tournament the next 2 years in a row, sadly. It's just what it is for a 3rd tier sport

I do like the young talent as well. I have some high hopes they can put together a good second half and be a decent competitor in the league.

I do not expect a good start (record wise)
Just the thought of missing the conference tournament two years in a row (last year and hypothetically this year) makes me shudder. I can't imagine missing for three straight years. That's Anderson level futility in a worse conference (albeit, a conference that has improved significantly since Nebraska joined).

Just the thought of missing the conference tournament two years in a row (last year and hypothetically this year) makes me shudder. I can't imagine missing for three straight years. That's Anderson level futility in a worse conference (albeit, a conference that has improved significantly since Nebraska joined).
Yep. I don't think we will though, just saying that the bar for a beloved former Husker baseball player who had a great pro career (and punter) to retain his job is very very low.

Yep. I don't think we will though, just saying that the bar for a beloved former Husker baseball player who had a great pro career (and punter) to retain his job is very very low.
I've heard enough rumblings to know that the expectations by those involved are actually higher than you state. However, those rumblings have lit a fire under Erstad's a$$ so I'd expect him to make the needed changes to make the conference tourney and extend his leash once again.

There are a lot of big time donors that have baseball as their number 2 sport behind football and honestly, they are the ones who matter.

as one poster will say, donations matter

I've heard enough rumblings to know that the expectations by those involved are actually higher than you state. However, those rumblings have lit a fire under Erstad's a$$ so I'd expect him to make the needed changes to make the conference tourney and extend his leash once again.

There are a lot of big time donors that have baseball as their number 2 sport behind football and honestly, they are the ones who matter.

as one poster will say, donations matter
I hope you're right but I'm skeptical. Anderson took away all faith I had that anyone gives a sh*t about baseball at UNL. I know there's new leadership in place, but I'm still very skeptical.

I hope you're right but I'm skeptical. Anderson took away all faith I had that anyone gives a sh*t about baseball at UNL. I know there's new leadership in place, but I'm still very skeptical.
That was mainly because TO was the AD at the time. No other AD gets the luxury of delaying or choosing when to take action at a place like Nebraska.

However, If another bad season happens the pressure to make staff changes will be the immediate goal, not getting rid of Erstad. Ledbetter's sudden involvement is an example of this. Keep in mind one assistant is close to retirement after all. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT