ADVERTISEMENT

OWH article on Assistant Coach searches

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
I like the analytical approach and searching high and low for the best candidates (huge contrast to bringing the whole crew from UCF).

But man I still would have loved to have Anae here, not unhappy with Whipple, I just really like Anae and it would have been a nice bonus that he could have brought some good players with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: egaRdeR
I like the analytical approach and searching high and low for the best candidates (huge contrast to bringing the whole crew from UCF).

But man I still would have loved to have Anae here, not unhappy with Whipple, I just really like Anae and it would have been a nice bonus that he could have brought some good players with him.

One of our biggest problems these past 4 years has been failing to score TDs once inside the redzone. Pitt had a roughly 70% TD rate in the redzone. That is no doubt an analytic that didn't escape Frost. The question is how much of that was the QB and how much was the play calling?

This shows a lot of the thinking that went into the hires.

Probably won't get many responses here though. It goes against too many of the goofy thoughts from some posters on here - Trev is doing the hiring, Frost will only hire friends, Frost can hire anyone good, Frost will never give up play calling.

Even if someone doesn't think Frost will succeed, they should at least see this as promising. He handled the changes well so far. Frost has one chance and I hope he fights like hell and comes out on top.

This shows a lot of the thinking that went into the hires.

Probably won't get many responses here though. It goes against too many of the goofy thoughts from some posters on here - Trev is doing the hiring, Frost will only hire friends, Frost can hire anyone good, Frost will never give up play calling.

Even if someone doesn't think Frost will succeed, they should at least see this as promising. He handled the changes well so far. Frost has one chance and I hope he fights like hell and comes out on top.
If opinions differ from yours, doesn't mean they are "goofy"

1. Trev may not have "hired" these assistants, but it is undeniable he got the whole thing rolling, had lots of input on the process, and probably had an input on the final decisions.

2, There were a few alleging he would only hire friends based on him bringing all his friends when he started here. But IMHO that perception mostly went away with the hiring of Dawson and Tuioti.

3. Whether Frost can hire anyone good (besides Tuioti and Dawson) remains to be seen. Lubick may have gotten a raw deal if what he wanted to do was hamstrung by Frost so it is hard to tell if he was "good" or not.

4. It remains to be seen whether Frost will give up playcalling. I'm still leery about that and I do not believe that fear is goofy.

1. Trev may not have "hired" these assistants, but it is undeniable he got the whole thing rolling, had lots of input on the process, and probably had an input on the final decisions.

2, There were a few alleging he would only hire friends based on him bringing all his friends when he started here. But IMHO that perception mostly went away with the hiring of Dawson and Tuioti.

3. Whether Frost can hire anyone good (besides Tuioti and Dawson) remains to be seen. Lubick may have gotten a raw deal if what he wanted to do was hamstrung by Frost so it is hard to tell if he was "good" or not.

4. It remains to be seen whether Frost will give up playcalling. I'm still leery about that and I do not believe that fear is goofy.
Yeah, this is goofy.

Both Frost and Trev had now indicated that Trev is leaving it to Frost. That is a lot more to go on than one's own opinion.

Frost stated in the article that he was purposefully not looking at previous relationships. Many on here kept saying he would only hire yes men and friends.

Totally agree it remains to be seen if Frost will give up play calling. But he has repeatedly stated that is his intention.

What is being done and said is much different than opinions. I get it though, everyone is in the "show me" mentality. I am too.

But just looking at what has been done and said is positive.

Dawson was a Chip Kelly guy from the Eagles that Frost brought to UCF then brought to Nebraska. He then left for a year and came back. That isn’t something that removes the perception, it reinforces it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT