ADVERTISEMENT

OWH 6-part series on the Frost hire (SIAP)

grayhairedfreak

Sophomore
Aug 21, 2010
It's been really good so far, if you have access to the hardcopy newspaper or have a digital subscription. Some interesting nuggets today on the Moos hire. We were at the top of his "where would I leave Wazzu for" list.

I have not read the series. However, I find it so interesting that that during the entire process of searching for a new AD, the name Moos never, or I should say, I never saw it come up in any internet message board conversations. The process was kept very quiet and speculation was all over the place, but totally off the mark. Something to be learned about all of that.

I have not read the series. However, I find it so interesting that that during the entire process of searching for a new AD, the name Moos never, or I should say, I never saw it come up in any internet message board conversations. The process was kept very quiet and speculation was all over the place, but totally off the mark. Something to be learned about all of that.
I remember The World-Herald had a list of possible candidates that came out the day before Moos was hired. His name was not on the list.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Its a real good history how this whole coaching change came about. Lots of background information with lots more to come. I like the drawings as they break up the text. OWH has some talented writers.

Haven't read any of it, but Is it ok to say that I am completely dumbfounded that the Moos wanted to be at Nebraska and we were his 1st choice?! I mean, I love The Moos, I am glad all over again that we get to have him. But, shoot!! He wanted us 1st!!!? I'm not used to hearing such things!

Reactions: Nebraskakid555
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Tom Osborne was one of the biggest reasons why Scott Frost decided to come home. This is a very unpopular opinion but part of me thinks Frost came home a little reluctantly. Without Osborne (or Davison) basically saying, "It's safe, you can come home now," no way he is here. I have no idea how many games Scott will win at Nebraska, but we all should feel pretty lucky that the meeting in Philadelphia went as well as it did with Frost, Mr. and Mrs. Moos and Matty Davison, especially because Moos and Frost had never met.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Tom Osborne was one of the biggest reasons why Scott Frost decided to come home. This is a very unpopular opinion but part of me thinks Frost came home a little reluctantly. Without Osborne (or Davison) basically saying, "It's safe, you can come home now," no way he is here. I have no idea how many games Scott will win at Nebraska, but we all should feel pretty lucky that the meeting in Philadelphia went as well as it did with Frost, Mr. and Mrs. Moos and Matty Davison, especially because Moos and Frost had never met.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I'm sure Frost has huge respect for TO and it was so obvious that NU was at the bottom of the bucket with the Beaver hire. Desperate help was overwhelmingly needed to say the very least and if not...as someone mentioned, NU would become Minnesota for decades. Period.

Moos, TO & Matt saved our bacon in a big, BIG way. I'm hoping that SF will bring such success that I'll soon forget that SE, Pencil-neck Pearlman & MR ever existed.

The whole process has been a textbook example of "it's who you know." Moos had the AD search firm president on speed dial. Frost had TO and Matty in his ear. These things never hurt.

The whole process has been a textbook example of "it's who you know." Moos had the AD search firm president on speed dial. Frost had TO and Matty in his ear. These things never hurt.

This has always been my contention with regards to the hiring process of a football coach.

When Eichorst hired Riley and everyone on the message boards was complaining about”the process” and a “one man hiring” committee (for the head coach). I told anyone who would listen that they weren’t mad at the process they were mad at the result. Nope, I was told we needed a committee.

The Frost hire was no different than the Riley hire with regards to process and the “who you know” aspect.

This has always been my contention with regards to the hiring process of a football coach.

When Eichorst hired Riley and everyone on the message boards was complaining about”the process” and a “one man hiring” committee (for the head coach). I told anyone who would listen that they weren’t mad at the process they were mad at the result. Nope, I was told we needed a committee.

The Frost hire was no different than the Riley hire with regards to process and the “who you know” aspect.

There was a difference Eichorst was more of a lawyer type than a AD and Moos has had plenty of experience being a AD through out his career.

Some say Eichorst confided in Barry Alvarez and talked a little with Pearlman of the Riley hiring and Moos asked TO his opinion of the state of the program, TO told Moos to get ahold of Matt Davison ( per OWH)if he wanted to get in touch with Scott Frost that process was similar.

Will we know if Moos had more candidates on his list ?
Won’t know if that comes out in the 6 part series.
Obvious SF was the top choice

Did Eichorst have any other Head Coach other than Riley since where talking about “who you know” aspect is what I would like to know.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I don't think it's any secret that it was a tough decision for him to leave UCF(much tougher than many Husker fans wanted to admit might be the case), so yes maybe he did come a little reluctantly. But when it comes right down to it, does it really matter? Just because you do something a little reluctantly doesn't mean you aren't fully committed once you make the decision. The whole process is interesting to know about, but I don't think we should be concerned that it wasn't quite the easy decision for him to come home that most Husker fans thought it would be. He's here now and fully committed to us.

What's probably most important about learning about the process is we should have a great appreciation by now of how important Bill Moos was in getting Frost here. Many Husker fans seemed to think it was as simple as hiring an AD who wouldn't screw things up in hiring Frost, and it wasn't that simple. Even after the hire was successfully completed, there were some fans who were reluctant to really praise Moos for his role in the process, again acting like it was something that was bound to happen anyway, and all he did was not screw it up. Not only did Moos successfully sell himself to Frost as someone Frost would feel comfortable working for, but he executed the hire pretty much flawlessly, making sure to give Frost his space to make the decision on his own. Not just any AD would have been able to accomplish that.

Yes, maybe we did get a little lucky that everything fell into place like it did. But to me, it was about time, because while the football program has certainly had its share of good things happen in the last 20 years, it had been that long since everything really seemed to fall into place on a grand scale enough to convince just about everybody that the program is on course to be restored to its former glory.

There was a difference Eichorst was more of a lawyer type than a AD and Moos has had plenty of experience being a AD through out his career.

Some say Eichorst confided in Barry Alvarez and talked a little with Pearlman of the Riley hiring and Moos asked TO his opinion of the state of the program, TO told Moos to get ahold of Matt Davison ( per OWH)if he wanted to get in touch with Scott Frost that process was similar.

Will we know if Moos had more candidates on his list ?
Won’t know if that comes out in the 6 part series.
Obvious SF was the top choice

Did Eichorst have any other Head Coach other than Riley since where talking about “who you know” aspect is what I would like to know.

I have stated multiple times that SE put out feelers and did not receive a positive response from those people.

How do we know this for a fact.

We don’t. I do. Take it or leave it.

You will rarely get a public confirmation from a coach that he turned down the opportunity to interview at another school and you will never get a school to admit they were turned down for an interview. The guy the hire is always their first choice.

Not here to call you a liar on this.
I’ll leave it till someone else who has better proof other than yourself.

Maybe this has more to say about Working for SE than being the next Head football coach at Nebraska.

As I said the proof you were looking for will never come to fruition.

The people, that I know of, turned down the opportunity to interview because the Nebraska opportunity, at that time, was no better than what they currently had and the job security wasn’t as good. 2 of the previous 3 coaches were fired after winning more than 70% of their games.

Anyone can make an educated guess after the fact that could seem plausible and say they have inside info

In real life people like Eichorst aren’t broadcasting to anyone but a tiny circle of 2-3 people what’s going on
And no one here is in that circle or should pretend they are:rolleyes:

Funny how Peterson’s coaching search candidates became public
In real life Eichorst took the easy way out
Someone that would for sure say yes
Because Riley was on thin ice, no one else wanted him and he could make his life retirement in one 3 year lick

Anyone can make an educated guess after the fact that could seem plausible and say they have inside info

In real life people like Eichorst aren’t broadcasting to anyone but a tiny circle of 2-3 people what’s going on

Because Riley was on thin ice, no one else wanted him and he could make his life retirement in one 3 year lick

It's Pederson... One other thing, he had Riley hired in 6 days after firing Pelini , so how many did he reach out to ? So you're so right he took the easy way out after being turn down like a bed sheet a couple of times according to the people in the know.

It's Pederson... One other thing, he had Riley hired in 6 days after firing Pelini , so how many did he reach out to ? So you're so right he took the easy way out after being turn down like a bed sheet a couple of times according to the people in the know.

Anyone can "according to my sources" put out a phony story- SIMPLE to guess- especially after the fact

I for one dont think someone on a non pay message board who rarely even goes to games is or lives here is part of the TINY "inner circle" who gets detailed information on the inner workings of who we offered and other details. Yeah and even with the changing of the guard still "Im being told" Im doubting the info line is going from God- AD- Source-- gets right on the horn to share with random free message board guy. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"My sources are telling me" is the newspaper and radio- just like everyone else.

Amazing Pedersons offers and seems like a BUNCH of College Football offers make the news- Eichorst- the only one that made the news was Riley- someone Eichorst claimed was always on his short list- top drawer file. 6 Days means it was a pretty short "search" Nearly everything Eichorst did screamed incompetence- why would this vary from that script ?- the agreeing to Friday night games- giving up the Iowa Black Friday game- etc etc

Last edited:
I think that writers and radio hosts in the Omaha/Lincoln area probably have some decent connections and find out some stuff that I don't while sitting here filming for Brazzers.

I didn’t ever say the info I got was from Eichorst. So I don’t care how many people he told and how tiny his circle is.

I know he reached out to head coaches at schools where I have friends who are/ were on those staffs.

I didn’t ever say the info I got was from Eichorst. So I don’t care how many people he told and how tiny his circle is.

I know he reached out to head coaches at schools where I have friends who are/ were on those staffs.

The "my sources are telling me schtick" you say goes far beyond coach hiring decisions :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only people that know for sure who was offered or reached out to- is Eichorst himself- Easy for you to say XYZ told me so and so reached out-and that not be true or if said person really got on the horn to tell you- that he was telling you the truth.

I think that writers and radio hosts in the Omaha/Lincoln area probably have some decent connections and find out some stuff that I don't while sitting here filming for Brazzers.
Correct

And they share most of that info with their listeners- that's how they earn a living- finding out and sharing info that their listeners are interested in

To think a random person on a non pay board who doesnt live here and doesnt even go to the games can have a bunch of accurate inside info on a lot/most of whats happening to NU football is laughable. Very easy to make insightful "guesses" like "they offered to more than one guy" and claim inside info

The "my sources are telling me schtick" you say goes far beyond coach hiring decisions :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only people that know for sure who was offered or reached out to- is Eichorst himself- Easy for you to say XYZ told me so and so reached out-and that not be true or if said person really got on the horn to tell you- that he was telling you the truth.

If that’s the criteria, everything you post on here is bullshit and not to be believed. You are constantly talking about what some youth coach in Florida or some high school coach in Vermont is telling you about stuff.

You can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: SOHusker11
If that’s the criteria, everything you post on here is bullshit and not to be believed. You are constantly talking about what some youth coach in Florida or some high school coach in Vermont is telling you about stuff.

You can’t have it both ways.

Ive actually named coaches- Like my long time buddy Jerry Campbell-who was Martinez- head coach. Will see Jerry again in a couple of weeks- clinicing.
Martinez is a legit 200- not a wishful 200

Ive also mentioned Darlington- at Apopka FL- sat for breakfast with him Saturday in Costa Mesa, CA
Just got off the phone with Joe Cianflone- from Lake Mary- FL- right in Orlando area- huge Frost fan/HS coach- he will be up here this summer working with us etc- maybe I will have him do a video Interview :D

Im not claiming to be part of the inner circle at NU
Im sharing what other coaches in the State of Florida and California- are saying about Frost- and NU- pretty common knowledge

And for the record- these posts are my real opinions and I wont make up a story that I was "just kidding" to make those opinions- if they are wrong to make myself out to be more credible= I will gladly admit I was wrong

Last edited:
TO announces 97 as his last year. Engages in some machinations to get his guy Solich, trying to keep the band together. Things are good as long as Charlie is around and many of TO's recruits are still on the roster. Things take a step down after those are no longer the case but Frank still wins at a good clip. Solich fired so the program doesn't "slip into mediocrity". Suitable candidates take a pause when approached about coaching a program where a guy with Solich's win %% is canned and are not sure they want to work for the guy who canned him. Enter Callahan, who was fired by the Raiders and perhaps not bothered by working for SP. Bad transition season, then two decent seasons including a CCG appearance. The wheels come off of the D, SP is canned, TO comes in and Cally is gone. Enter Pelini, who had a little Husker dust sprinkled on him during his one season in Lincoln. BP does well with Cally's recruits, perhaps less well without them, but still wins at a good clip. Three CCG appearances in seven years. Hated by Harvey, marked for eventual termination and let go after a winning season. For Eichorst, the situation is very much like that faced by Stevie P. Ends up hiring Riley, who decides to go on "one more adventure" with the Huskers. We know how the adventure turned out.
What do I see here? I see two ADs who made decisions from a position of weakness and one who made a decision based in part on program traditions. Pelini is a guy who had sufficient football acumen. Had he not had personality issues that were limiting and a reticence to recruit more aggressively (Bo was probably not been the "closer" in the living room that NU needed), I think he could still be coaching here.
Quite frankly, there are more Power 5 teams with openings that desire special coaches than there are special coaches available in any one season. So some programs end up with the short straw. In two of NU's last three searches, I don't think the AD at the time really tried.
NU made a very good choice in the hiring of Bill Moos. Frost wasn't not going to coach for the prior AD and may have spit the bit had NU made another mediocre hire.

Ive actually named coaches- Like my long time buddy Jerry Campbell-who was Martinez- head coach. Will see Jerry again in a couple of weeks- clinicing.
Martinez is a legit 200- not a wishful 200

Ive also mentioned Darlington- at Apopka FL- sat for breakfast with him Saturday in Costa Mesa, CA
Just got off the phone with Joe Cianflone- from Lake Mary- FL- right in Orlando area- huge Frost fan/HS coach- he will be up here this summer working with us etc- maybe I will have him do a video Interview :D

Im not claiming to be part of the inner circle at NU
Im sharing what other coaches in the State of Florida and California- are saying about Frost- and NU- pretty common knowledge

And for the record- these posts are my real opinions and I wont make up a story that I was "just kidding" to make those opinions- if they are wrong to make myself out to be more credible= I will gladly admit I was wrong

So who were you posting as before. You only have about 500 posts and all of them have been in the last 4 months, yet you are claiming to have said all of this stuff

So who were you posting as before. You only have about 500 posts and all of them have been in the last 4 months, yet you are claiming to have said all of this stuff

Look at my posts
I post under my own name
Haven’t had to change my name or like you claimed I was “just kidding”
And those other coaches are named in my posts
I have nothing to hide and don’t hide behind anything

I don’t feel the need to comment on things I know nothing about
Unlike some
Hence the small post count

It's not the first time that had happened. #Riley

Anybody want to share how cheapies like me can read this online without buying a subscription? :)

Honestly, wgas. It's about hiring the right guy, which Nebraska hasn't done since TO got the job. Frost is the right guy. End of story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT