ADVERTISEMENT

Over a dozen recruits in Lincoln this weekend...

Honestly, I was a little surprised by the reaction to your post...

Not as bad as the Calvin and Hobbes "Frosting" Iowa...
zQ0SDvf.png
I was too!

OL was a coaching issue. Ideally you probably want different type of linemen for Frosts offense, but they came in highly rated and talented. I think they'll do fine in Frosts offense with good coaching.
I hope so, because they got pushed around easily.

with 55 degree weather under sunny skies, a new top 10 QB committed, a young dynamic staff, the best facilities in CFB, the national CFB coach of the year...

Sounds like a recipe for some new commits to get on board! Man, it’s fun to be a Husker fan again. GBR!
it was all that before frost arrived.

YVE2YTU.png

Move everyone up a year for 2018.

How many scholarships should be allotted for the OL? 15/85 (17%) before adding any OTs.

OL positions account for 5 of the 22, which is nearly 23%, so we should get 2-4 in this class.

Not sure I would say it is urgent, given the last talent of the last 3 classes, at least not compared to WR and DB...
given that several of those returning OLs have already played and are so young it will be years before any new recruits will be seen on the OL.

How many official visits do we even have left to use? You only get 56 per year, right? We have to be close to the limit after this weekend.

given that several of those returning OLs have already played and are so young it will be years before any new recruits will be seen on the OL.
....until you lose a 2-3 starters to injury. Minnesota lost 4 OL to injury this season and ended up playing a walkon, Iowa lost two senior OTs to season ending injuries this year and were forced into playing a rFr and a true freshman in their place.... you can go down the rosters of B10 teams to document similar situations.

How many official visits do we even have left to use? You only get 56 per year, right? We have to be close to the limit after this weekend.
By my count, we have 28 visits left. We have 56 visits plus 6 we carry over from last year minus the 34 we have already used. NU will need to be efficient with their last 28 visits. I see us adding 8-10 recruits to finish out this class.

Reactions: SOHusker11
adding to the weekend will be a hoops game vs KU and the women playing in NC for volleyball! This could be huge weekend of commits!

We don’t have bad numbers on the OL, we have just had poor development. OL is a developmental position and you never know what guys will be like after they gain 30-50 lbs, that is why you see so many busts and have so many walk ones play there.
I’ve been reading essentially this same comment for 15+ years. At some point I have to wonder about the talent.
Maybe in the good old days (pre-2002) we were mostly just more skillful in the use of PEDs than the competition:)

I’ve been reading essentially this same comment for 15+ years. At some point I have to wonder about the talent.
Maybe in the good old days (pre-2002) we were mostly just more skillful in the use of PEDs than the competition:)
We are missing the boat somewhere for sure

Old enough to have watched Nebraska teams that would never lose to sorry programs like Iowa.
I was thinking that maybe your age was why the kids looked older in 1997. But your response shows that you pry weren’t even born in 1997.

I was thinking that maybe your age was why the kids looked older in 1997. But your response shows that you pry weren’t even born in 1997.

I was just ribbing you. In reality I wasn’t sure if I had been clear about the comparison I was making and unsure exactly what you were asking.

Before the Wisconsin game they were honoring the 97 team, and during warmups they were scrolling the headshots from both the current team AND the old headshots from the 97 guys side by side. It made the difference look quite stark. So it wasn’t just nostalgia on my part, looking back to when I was younger than the players rather than older.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
YVE2YTU.png

How many scholarships should be allotted for the OL? 15/85 (17%) before adding any OTs.

OL positions account for 5 of the 22, which is nearly 23%, so we should get 2-4 in this class.

Not sure I would say it is urgent, given the last talent of the last 3 classes, at least not compared to WR and DB...
Do Barnett and Gaylord ever play.?

The problem with signing 4-5 this year, is that I think we only lose 1 scholarship player this year to graduation. The problem may be numbers so coaching up what we have is a must. We have some highly rated guys who other power 5 schools offered so I think coaching was a huge problem. This year we returned most of our starters and guys who played a lot due to injuries yet we played worse imo.
A mobile QB will help the OL.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Need more big uglies. I can't remember a college football announcer ever saying: "they'd have a championship team if only they had more wide receivers."

Skinny little dudes running around with their hands up, calling for the ball, are nice. But I want to win games in the trenches.

Me too partner. Me too! Thank God fluff-ball is now long, long gone.

True but I don't remember Wald looking as good as this kid. This kid seems to hit hard, gets to the ball and was responding very well once the ball was snapped..
Yep
Its not the hitting that impresses me as much as his ability to read a play. He is not easily fooled based on his film.

Looking at the OL depth chart, recruiting tackles will be needed next year.

YVE2YTU.png

Not saying you’re wrong here, but you’ve seen the OL play? We lose 3 or 4 starters next year. Guys like Barnett are never going to see the field. Raridon is the only one with all conf potential. Could be the weakest depth/talent I’ve seen at Neb. What’s sad is all the schollys tied up. Won’t improve for 3 or 4 years minimum. SF doesn’t seem to focused on the OL/DL which is scary. He’s recruiting what’s comfortable which I get, but I don’t get.

[QUOTE="Footballfinatic2016, post: 4029564, member: 47624" Raridon is the only one with all conf potential.[/QUOTE]

I think Jaimes, Farniok and Wilson are all even more talented than Raridon. I’m excited to see what this group does. I think we have a nice foundation for future OL with that group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT