ADVERTISEMENT

Outsider looking in...

Nov 8, 2019
I'll start out by stating that I am a fan of Mizzou, but I still follow a few teams in the Big XII and Nebraska (and Colorado to a lesser extent). I was around back in the good 'ol days of the Big 8 and remember watching the old Nebraska/Oklahoma games as a kid in the Osborne years. I'm a long suffering Mizzou fan (5th down, KICKED BALL...still hate Matt Davidson) and I do like that Mizzou is in the SEC, but miss the rivalry games with the old Big 8 schools...screw Texas btw.

Anyway, I was curious to the fanbase's reaction to Frost's first 3 years, so I came here trying to get an idea. I am a little surprised so many on here want him gone after a brief stay. Is that just a knee-jerk reaction from some of the more passionate fans on here or is the fanbase as a whole ready to turn the page? From what I've watched this year, the team seems to have decent talent and are in most games but can't, for whatever reason, put it together and get the win. I thought when you hired him it was a great hire and still do. Thoughts?

Anyway
MIZ

Reactions: Dharry
I'll start out by stating that I am a fan of Mizzou, but I still follow a few teams in the Big XII and Nebraska (and Colorado to a lesser extent). I was around back in the good 'ol days of the Big 8 and remember watching the old Nebraska/Oklahoma games as a kid in the Osborne years. I'm a long suffering Mizzou fan (5th down, KICKED BALL...still hate Matt Davidson) and I do like that Mizzou is in the SEC, but miss the rivalry games with the old Big 8 schools...screw Texas btw.

Anyway, I was curious to the fanbase's reaction to Frost's first 3 years, so I came here trying to get an idea. I am a little surprised so many on here want him gone after a brief stay. Is that just a knee-jerk reaction from some of the more passionate fans on here or is the fanbase as a whole ready to turn the page? From what I've watched this year, the team seems to have decent talent and are in most games but can't, for whatever reason, put it together and get the win. I thought when you hired him it was a great hire and still do. Thoughts?

Anyway
MIZ
IMO, he needs more time. Have a grad degree from Mizzou. He needs to grow as a head coach and find a better QB. Might need to make a staff adjustment. His most talented players other than his left tackle Jaimes, are underclassmen. He'll get at least 2 more years IMO to make things work. Maybe more given his buyout. Nowhere to go but up.

One thing I have leaned in being a somewhat active member on these forums is that you can't truly gauge the feelings of the fanbase as whole based on what is said on a forum. Fans here are passionate of course but maybe too much in some cases. However, I would say that most of the fanbase is fairly level headed. They understand that every coach should be given a certain amount of time. So, if I had to guess, most probably think Frost's seat is getting warm but are accepting of him being here for another year or two. Granted, if next season is a continuation of this, there's a good chance no one will be so supportive.

One thing I have leaned in being a somewhat active member on these forums is that you can't truly gauge the feelings of the fanbase as whole based on what is said on a forum. Fans here are passionate of course but maybe too much in some cases. However, I would say that most of the fanbase is fairly level headed. They understand that every coach should be given a certain amount of time. So, if I had to guess, most probably think Frost's seat is getting warm but are accepting of him being here for another year or two. Granted, if next season is a continuation of this, there's a good chance no one will be so supportive.
exactly about social media and message boards. The vocal minority doesn't represent the vast majority of Husker fans.

I am very frustrated with the product on the field. That being said, I don’t think it wise to fire Frost after three years. If he overhauls his staff somewhat, that could make a difference. But I do think Frost needs to figure out how to play in the Big Ten.

Disappointed to say the least. I think the effort to recruit is considerably better than Bo, smarter than Mike. The development is the saddest part. For a program that prided itself on building lines and working hard, game time discipline, the last ten years have been unbearable. I think we have no choice but to buck up and stay the path because we can't afford one more change. I say this not just because of money but also building recruiting pathways, and at some point development of lines and systems. I miss the fun trips to Kansas Kstate, Mo, I state Okie state. Screw Texas!

Reactions: 9and4 and timnsun
Well, there was that memorable win against ... uh, it's right here ... I'm sure it was two years ... or maybe last year.

I'll have to get back to you on that.

Reactions: SkoalAndBones
There's also a large segment of the fan base who are a lot less patient and more critical than much of the sentiment shown here. Just about everybody I talked to in person turned on Riley well before this board did.

exactly about social media and message boards. The vocal minority doesn't represent the vast majority of Husker fans.
The majority doesn't really make the decisions either. It's a small minority of boosters and donors who can really put pressure on the administration. There's a large group who only tune in for the games and don't really pay any attention other than that. They either trust the administration to make the right decisions or they might start tuning out if the product is poor enough, but they really don't put much pressure on the administration either way.

The majority doesn't really make the decisions either. It's a small minority of boosters and donors who can really put pressure on the administration. There's a large group who only tune in for the games and don't really pay any attention other than that. They either trust the administration to make the right decisions or they might start tuning out if the product is poor enough, but they really don't put much pressure on the administration either way.
And for the "boosters who matter", Scott Frost is their man. Scott will get at least 5 years and maybe more to right the ship.

There's also a large segment of the fan base who are a lot less patient and more critical than much of the sentiment shown here. Just about everybody I talked to in person turned on Riley well before this board did.
The majority of your contemporaries probably didn't have to "turn on Riley". They never bought in to him from the start.

The majority of your contemporaries probably didn't have to "turn on Riley". They never bought in to him from the start.
I never said they were contemporaries. The vast majority of people gave Riley a chance. I'm probably one of the few who didn't.

Anyway
MIZ
I don't want him fired, I want him to stop being scared of failing and...dear God PLEASE stop saying stupid things to the press.

I think he has potential to be a great coach but he's also his own biggest enemy and I don't know if he can make the leap to get there. I hope he reaches out to former players and coaches and asks for honest feedback. His stubbornness will be his downfall if he doesn't.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I don't want him fired, I want him to stop being scared of failing and...dear God PLEASE stop saying stupid things to the press.

I think he has potential to be a great coach but he's also his own biggest enemy and I don't know if he can make the leap to get there. I hope he reaches out to former players and coaches and asks for honest feedback. His stubbornness will be his downfall if he doesn't.
He should ask another great qb at Nebraska for coaching advice. Tommie Frazier. He should also ask Damon Benning. Those guys from the 90s are all clearly great coaches because they played at Nebraska in the 90s. That makes them qualified

He should ask another great qb at Nebraska for coaching advice. Tommie Frazier. He should also ask Damon Benning. Those guys from the 90s are all clearly great coaches because they played at Nebraska in the 90s. That makes them qualified
I'd love for him to sit down with Vrzal myself.

Crap like this post makes me wonder who you are a fan of... seriously. You are constantly walking the line between being a fan and saying the stupidest crap we’ve seen on this board (outside of jlb321 that is).

I’m not saying you aren’t a fan. You just make me wonder sometimes.

............said nobody up here.

I'd love for him to sit down with Vrzal myself.

Vrzal is a great dude, but honestly he has one schtick. He'd tell Frost we just need to play smash mouth brother. Let's just go punch people in the face, it's not that hard and all of his other stuff he spews. Gotta be more like Narduzzi!!!

With that said, he probably gets plenty of feedback and he is well aware he needs to turn things around. He lived the ridiculous NU fan expectation life. Hopefully he is feeling the heat because he does do well under pressure.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I never said they were contemporaries. The vast majority of people gave Riley a chance. I'm probably one of the few who didn't.
Gave him a chance yes. Very skeptical? Absolutely. There wasn't anywhere close to the buy in with Riley. Of course some of that was the guy doing the hiring.

Crap like this post makes me wonder who you are a fan of... seriously. You are constantly walking the line between being a fan and saying the stupidest crap we’ve seen on this board (outside of jlb321 that is).

I’m not saying you aren’t a fan. You just make me wonder sometimes.

This poster has some very odd and comments on this forum,I believe they just like stirring crap..

Reactions: timnsun
BS, just about everybody gave him a chance.
That's what I said. Gave him a chance, but I don't know of many who were all in with Riley. As supportive of him as even I was, I never thought he could win enough long term at NU. Was still glad to see Bo go regardless of what followed. Frost has got as long as he needs with me and I'm pretty sure that feeling is shared by a large number of other boosters.

That's what I said. Gave him a chance, but I don't know of many who were all in with Riley. As supportive of him as even I was, I never thought he could win enough long term at NU. Was still glad to see Bo go regardless of what followed. Frost has got as long as he needs with me and I'm pretty sure that feeling is shared by a large number of other boosters.
It was an obvious terrible hire from the start. Most of the fanbase deluded themselves into thinking he could do something here, just like a lot of the fanbase has done with Frost over the last 3 years.

Giving him a chance is all a grown man making a multi-million dollar salary should need. Or do we need to send him sunshine stickers or something to show how much we support him and to tell him he's doing a good job? He's a grown ass man making millions of bucks. If we need to baby him as if somehow that would make him successful, he probably shouldn't be making that kind of salary in the first place.

It was an obvious terrible hire from the start. Most of the fanbase deluded themselves into thinking he could do something here, just like a lot of the fanbase has done with Frost over the last 3 years.

Giving him a chance is all a grown man making a multi-million dollar salary should need. Or do we need to send him sunshine stickers or something to show how much we support him and to tell him he's doing a good job? He's a grown ass man making millions of bucks. If we need to baby him as if somehow that would make him successful, he probably shouldn't be making that kind of salary in the first place.
Speaking of sunshine stickers.......🌞

Interesting you mention Matty D...he's still around pulling down $1 mill a year on the gravy train playing Golden Tee with Coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT