Outrage to ensue..

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Didn’t realize the punishment for that was execution after complying the officer request to put his hands up.

So weird how the far right, small government freedom folks, loves it when the state kills brown people. It’s not hard to grasp, but the job of police is to enforce the laws and the judicial system to handle punishment.
The clown-shirts on the left don’t understand this exact opinion of yours is why murders are up. Your opinion is causing it.

Reactions: HuskerCK

nelsonj22

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Did you grow up with him too? Did you think it was right for him to be shot and killed? Did anyone riot on his behalf?

I'm just tired of people losing their shit for someone because of their skin color, meanwhile one of my best friends is killed and nobody ever says shit about it. So forgive me when I don't give a shit when other people are shot and killed.

Not mad at you. Just tired of all the fake outrage. Tired of the bullshit. I'm sick of these dumbass humans doing dumbass shit.
Didn't he shoot a cop right before they shot him?

Haven't seen anyone outraged after someone knowingly shoots a cop, BT case is a little diff, and then gets shot.

tman_87

Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2010
Getting more of the backstory on this situation helps.

Did the cop shoot too quickly? Yes.

Should the cop have shot the kid? No.

Did the cop have reason to fear that the kid might turn and fire at him? It seems that may be the case, or you can now see why the cop may have felt that way.

But still, the kid should not have been shot.

I wouldn't want to be a cop - dangerous job dealing with people and situations where you never know what might happen. Not defending the cop, but I think that there is a reasonable look at this where you can see that the cop may have felt they were about to get fired on. Still doesn't mean the cop should have shot, but humans make human errors.

Any time guns and situations like this are together, bad things are very possible.

The other question which is being raised, and it is a reasonable question, is would this cop have shot this kid so quickly if he was a caucasian kid? We will never know the answer to that, but it is going to be hashed through over and over by the media, etc.

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
Getting more of the backstory on this situation helps.

Did the cop shoot too quickly? Yes.

Should the cop have shot the kid? No.

Did the cop have reason to fear that the kid might turn and fire at him? It seems that may be the case, or you can now see why the cop may have felt that way.

But still, the kid should not have been shot.

I wouldn't want to be a cop - dangerous job dealing with people and situations where you never know what might happen. Not defending the cop, but I think that there is a reasonable look at this where you can see that the cop may have felt they were about to get fired on. Still doesn't mean the cop should have shot, but humans make human errors.

Any time guns and situations like this are together, bad things are very possible.

The other question which is being raised, and it is a reasonable question, is would this cop have shot this kid so quickly if he was a caucasian kid? We will never know the answer to that, but it is going to be hashed through over and over by the media, etc.

I thought this is a white kid. Is it not? He looks white in the video, but I guess the hat hides the face.

Either way, I couldn't be a police officer, because I know I would always shoot first. I don't want to be on the receiving end.

tman_87

Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2010
I thought this is a white kid. Is it not? He looks white in the video, but I guess the hat hides the face.

Either way, I couldn't be a police officer, because I know I would always shoot first. I don't want to be on the receiving end.

I think he was Latino. Also seems the cops knew who he was from what I have read.

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
I think he was Latino. Also seems the cops knew who he was from what I have read.

Damn. Crappy situation all around.

I don't know what the officer could have done differently, other than wait longer to make sure that the kid wasn't pointing the gun at him when he turned after ditching the weapon. I don't think the strobing light helped the officer in trying to determine the threat level.

As I stated earlier, I think the movement between ditching the gun, to the point of hands up was so quick that officer just panicked and shot. He had a 50% chance of the gun being pointed at him, and in that moment he was probably afraid, and fired.

Sucks for the kid's family, sucks for the officer, and sucks for their city.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Or be a 13 year old who thinks he’s tough. I’m sure your adolescence is completely void of dumb shit
It didn't involve being in a gang and getting the nickname Lil Homicide but we most certainly had a different upbringing.

Can you get the nickname Lil Homicide without killing anyone you think?

mcgradyNU

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2004
Maine
Did you grow up with him too? Did you think it was right for him to be shot and killed? Did anyone riot on his behalf?

I'm just tired of people losing their shit for someone because of their skin color, meanwhile one of my best friends is killed and nobody ever says shit about it. So forgive me when I don't give a shit when other people are shot and killed.

Not mad at you. Just tired of all the fake outrage. Tired of the bullshit. I'm sick of these dumbass humans doing dumbass shit.

That's fine. But we should all be on the same page that there is some shitty policy governing police actions at the moment. Read Rise of the Warrior Cop by Radley Balko. He's a libertarian and it's written mainly from the standpoint of policy and its interaction with the 4th Amendment and Castle Doctrine. It's a huge eye-opener. Civil asset forfeiture, no-knock, qualified immunity, all of it is shitty policy. And cops of all people should want some of these changes as well because they are routinely being put in harms way due to bad policy. Why should a cop want to answer a mental health call when they aren't trained for it? Why are we deploying SWAT units to serve warrants at a rate of 93% of SWAT unit deployments?

Reactions: Jaemekon

IowaHuskerFan3

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2007

Right or wrong the cop has a split second to make the decision. Is it going to be him or me I know what my decision would be.

lolwat

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2016
I would be curious as to our resident law enforcement professional's take on the various ones we have seen lately.

The hands up deal, the neck kneel for 9 minutes, the accidental taser deal, etc. Justifiable? Wrong? What should happen when they are wrong? When there is a 'betweener' where its tragic but it is what it is.. should there still be some legal accountability and/or allowed to continue to be "on the street" with the police dept? What are their ideas to improve this situation because most of the time they are silent. When they tell someone that's getting arrested they have a right to remain silent its so the person doesn't get in further trouble. Is that why they are silent? To avoid trouble? They know they are wrong?

BOBEBASS

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2001
Bobbie, what more do you want from the kid than his hands up? What is the media showing with this incident that has yore panties crying out?
If you were in the cops place and new he had a gun, tell me in that split second as he turned you would not have pulled the trigger? Life or death situation and who cares how old the person was. Anyone out late in the night on the streets shooting at cars, what the hell do you think could happen to you? Obey the law stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!

bldhuskerred

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2003
If you were in the cops place and new he had a gun, tell me in that split second as he turned you would not have pulled the trigger? Life or death situation and who cares how old the person was. Anyone out late in the night on the streets shooting at cars, what the hell do you think could happen to you? Obey the law stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree but I believe when you choose to become a cop or join the military you agree to certain aspects that may put your life in danger.

If he had waited another second before using deadly force this would have had a very different outcome. Do I want the family of a police officer getting a visit from the Chaplain, hell no but like I said when you choose these types of careers you agree to certain inherent risks.

This kids should still be alive, in jail but alive. Now the other guy where the cop fired a gun instead of a taser, (she needs to resign) he would be alive if he hadn't resisted and tried to run.

Has to be more emphasis on deescalating situations.

tl/dr

BOBEBASS

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2001
I get what you are saying, but I don't think you understand what I am saying.

Yes, the still image shows hands up. But it could have just as easily been guns up, and cop shot. That's why the little human was shot.
He was shot because he was a dumb kid who should have been home in bed. Instead he was looking to be a gang banger. If he does not turn around and lifts his hands above his head he is still alive.

bldhuskerred

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2003
By the time they've got to that point your choice has been made. If he had the gun you're dead.

I'm not totally in disagreement with you but I think making the choice to be a cop you assume the inherent risks to take a second to be sure especially with a 13 year old. If he had been shooting at the cops already, then drop him.

Not sure there is a 100% right answer.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
I'm not totally in disagreement with you but I think making the choice to be a cop you assume the inherent risks to take a second to be sure especially with a 13 year old. If he had been shooting at the cops already, then drop him.

Not sure there is a 100% right answer.
I understand what you're saying. Had he not just shot at a cop car I'd probably be on your side of the fence.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
It's tough to know for sure because news coverage doesn't talk about many of the important details.
I just read a few more articles. One says that there was residue on his hands but the rest say it was the guy he was with that was shooting. Not sure it matters if he did or just his friend. They were clearly together according to all of the articles.

Reactions: Jaemekon

Husker Hank

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2009
Being "sneaky" is not a death sentence. Neither is being in a gang. Or running from police. Or having your back turned to police. Or throwing a gun down and putting your hands up for police. Or allegedly having a nickname.
It can be if you are being pursued while armed.

Dumb choice, sad result.

daddy mack

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2002
Omaha, NE
Biggest gang in America. And they get half tard conservatives who find zero fault anytime they draw a weapon
So When can the Police Protect there Own. All the Gangs put a Target on their backs. I Will never cry for Criminals. Only Pray they get Help before they destroy their own Children’s life. The cycle will Never Change until the LBJ Societies Created By Democrats or Liberals is Crushed!

• Love
Reactions: Bobfather

steinek11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
So When can the Police Protect there Own. All the Gangs put a Target on their backs. I Will never cry for Criminals. Only Pray they get Help before they destroy their own Children’s life. The cycle will Never Change until the LBJ Societies Created By Democrats or Liberals is Crushed!
I’m sure separate but equal was a much more solid path going forward

SantaBarbaraSker

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2005
Where ever my wife tells me to be.
Being "sneaky" is not a death sentence. Neither is being in a gang. Or running from police. Or having your back turned to police. Or throwing a gun down and putting your hands up for police. Or allegedly having a nickname.
JFC... dropped the gun 300ms before the officer fired...My question would be to the parents as to what your 13-year-old is doing out at 2 o’clock in the morning, carrying is loaded firearm, and running from the police.

But no...let’s second-guess the officer who’s chasing someone down a dark alley, with no idea of his age, & knowing from the radio call he possessed a gun, sees him brandished said gun, and his only thought is “I want to go home to my family”.

Jesus you Libs are insufferable. Now it’s not even a justified shooting if someone brandishes a firearm...Just STFU. I’m sure if this punk wasn’t killed he would’ve turned into a model citizen over the next few years. Zero fvcks given.

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
"Outrage" against the fountain.

What do we want? Nothing! When do we want it? Now! If we don't get what we want because we are immature little children, what will we do? Burn it down!

Reactions: Jim14510