ADVERTISEMENT

Out of Conference scheduling

jlb321

Defensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014
I hate to say it but I think the rebuild is bigger than we all have anticipated and while I love the high profile out of conference games I would rather schedule 3 patsies than schedule what might be a greater than 50% chance of a loss until we are on firmer ground. Even with the N Illinois loss the season would look a whole lot different at 2-1 than 1-2.

not sure we are better than Colorado right now and then we have Oklahoma on the horizon as well, then into the BIG season

maybe we should go full K state - I am not worried about strength of schedule

we could maybe get Kansas on the schedule annually and bill it as a continuation of one of the longest matchups in college football prior to us leaving for the BIG ... would be essentially what Iowa does every year with the Iowa State game

otherwise have the state legislature mandate that we play Kearney State every year and blame it on the government

wins at this point far outweigh strength of schedule considerations

Understand what you're saying, but we're f-ing Nebraska. We need to meet schedule challenges head on. If we're not up to par (and we likely are not), fix it. Now.

no you are right ... would just like get some momentum for a few years for whatever staff is here, whether it be Riley or the next guy
we will have enough high profile games in conference

Do you think it would affect recruiting if they knew Nebraska was passing up quality matchup?

I would think it a great recruiting tool to say "Look kid you come to Nebraska not only will you play in the shoe and the big house but you'll play in the colliseum and norman because Nebraska only plays the best on the biggest stages..."

It's a lot better than saying "Akron, Indiana State and Kansas because the state legislature says we have to..."

Go Blue!

Do you think it would affect recruiting if they knew Nebraska was passing up quality matchup?

I would think it a great recruiting tool to say "Look kid you come to Nebraska not only will you play in the shoe and the big house but you'll play in the colliseum and norman because Nebraska only plays the best on the biggest stages..."

It's a lot better than saying "Akron, Indiana State and Kansas because the state legislature says we have to..."

Go Blue!

this is true ... but only if you are competitive
I realize that schedules are made years in advance and it is unknown who will really be the solid programs

Maybe even if you're not. The domers keep pulling in great classes even though they have become increasingly mediocre over the last couple of decades

Go Blue!

Maybe even if you're not. The domers keep pulling in great classes even though they have become increasingly mediocre over the last couple of decades

Go Blue!

a premier academic AND the premier catholic school in the country

Let's just pull the plug and fire the next coach now. Saves us all a few years

NU lost to Northern Illinois and was seconds away from being tied in regulation by Arkansas State...they already struggle with "patsies"; not seeing the advantage. Schedules are made so far out in advance anyway.

The problems with their program are numerous and relatively complex. I'm hoping the folks in charge can fix it but nothing in their past gives me confidence they can deliver now, or in the future.

I hate to say it but I think the rebuild is bigger than we all have anticipated and while I love the high profile out of conference games I would rather schedule 3 patsies than schedule what might be a greater than 50% chance of a loss until we are on firmer ground. Even with the N Illinois loss the season would look a whole lot different at 2-1 than 1-2.

not sure we are better than Colorado right now and then we have Oklahoma on the horizon as well, then into the BIG season

maybe we should go full K state - I am not worried about strength of schedule

we could maybe get Kansas on the schedule annually and bill it as a continuation of one of the longest matchups in college football prior to us leaving for the BIG ... would be essentially what Iowa does every year with the Iowa State game

otherwise have the state legislature mandate that we play Kearney State every year and blame it on the government

wins at this point far outweigh strength of schedule considerations

I'm pretty sure that when the likes of Arky State and NIU were scheduled, they were looked upon as patsies, at least many prognosticators would perceive them that way. And yes, at this point in time, Colorado is better than Nebraska, no question about that. Next year? We'll see.

And while we're at it let's lower academic standards, bring in every juco that runs a 4.4 or better and play nobody as much as possible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT