ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Search Our roster and recruiting base

Yes, but do you think Nebraska is one of the best teams today? We would hardly be on any national TV if there were that few games being televised.

And being located within driving distance of the school back then was far more important to families than just 3 or 4 TV appearances. All games on TV today is a much better advantage than 3 or 4 games vs. location.

But we can agree to disagree about it. Doesn't matter what we think. What's important is what recruits think.
Families want to attend their sons' games in person. They'd rather not watch them on TV. Therefore, proximity is still an important factor in recruiting for many players/families.

Typical kool-aid answer who’s in denial. Proximity is still everything. Especially for coaches. Name a coach that says they love spending their free time at the airport? On the road missing the kids first everything. No one wants that. There is no quick fix - the top recruits are going to go the OSU, Bama, OU’s of the world. You’ll get your occasional hit because there’s prob baggage and the top tier teams don’t need to take the risk.
Kool aid? Denial? Look at those great teams classes. Ohio state, for example, has done very well recruiting kids from Florida and Georgia. How is that possible if mom can’t watch every game in person? It’s not as important as it once was. Period.

And if Bo Pelini could recruit top 25 classes to Nebraska, a staff that makes recruiting a priority shouldn’t have a problem bringing in top 15-20ish classes. Which if developed properly, will have us competing with the trash around us.

• Angry
Reactions: PoleSmokinHawkeye
Kool aid? Denial? Look at those great teams classes. Ohio state, for example, has done very well recruiting kids from Florida and Georgia. How is that possible if mom can’t watch every game in person? It’s not as important as it once was. Period.

And if Bo Pelini could recruit top 25 classes to Nebraska, a staff that makes recruiting a priority shouldn’t have a problem bringing in top 15-20ish classes. Which if developed properly, will have us competing with the trash around us.
So much this.

Reactions: WHCSC
Callahan burned it to the ground in more than one way. Massive failure not understanding NE/NU & what works there.

Many HC's tend to have big egos and throw everything out rather than blend the good with what they bring.
One example: BC should have kept Bo's defensive scheme that was ranked something like 2 or 3 in scoring D in the nation, instead of installing his own. Many of the players disliked it due to it being more complex than Bo's scheme.
And when Osborne hired Pelini, he wanted him to keep the offense that Callahan was running and forced Watson down his throat, because it was working. A couple of years later, Pelini didn't want to run that offense anymore and Watson was shown the door.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Make hiring a well established coach problematic. No top coach wants to walk in to a complete rebuild without a large natural market for recruits. IMO our best bet might be to find the brightest young coach we can find be it a P5 coordinator or a head coach of lessor experience and stature. I still think taking a run at Zac Taylor wouldn’t be crazy either. His contract isn’t prohibitive. We could possibly double his pay.

His offensive line is even worse than ours.

And when Osborne hired Pelini, he wanted him to keep the offense that Callahan was running and forced Watson down his throat, because it was working. A couple of years later, Pelini didn't want to run that offense anymore and Watson was shown the door.
Now that doesn't make any sense at all! Why would triple option, run it on every play Tom want Pelini to keep the Callahan O?

Just kidding of course, kind of since I wasn't there.

Now that doesn't make any sense at all! Why would triple option, run it on every play Tom want Pelini to keep the Callahan O?

Just kidding of course, kind of since I wasn't there.
I’m not sure if you were being facetious with your last comment about not being there, but it was pretty common knowledge at the time, that Osborne wanted Pelini to keep Watson as the OC to ease the transition. The reason given was that the office was working pretty well, it was the defense that needed the adjustment.

I’m not sure if you were being facetious with your last comment about not being there, but it was pretty common knowledge at the time, that Osborne wanted Pelini to keep Watson as the OC to ease the transition. The reason given was that the office was working pretty well, it was the defense that needed the adjustment.
I was around in those days but I am not sure what "common knowledge" really is. Not saying it isn't true but it could be that Tom said something like, "Hey Bo, we have an O that is clicking for the most part, the D is what needs your attention" and you might consider going that route for now to lessen the number of changes in the program. IF something like that was said, ultimately wasn't it still Bo's choice? If the O was working, that would be one less hire I had to make at the time but that's me.

I would say by the common knowledge on this board we have no clue what is going to happen next. I bring up the hiring of Moos as a prime example. There was speculation and insider info and not one time did I see his name dropped but low and behold, look who got the job. Which tells me, a lot of people don't know anything, including me, and the U did a very good job of keeping things quiet apparently.

I was around in those days but I am not sure what "common knowledge" really is. Not saying it isn't true but it could be that Tom said something like, "Hey Bo, we have an O that is clicking for the most part, the D is what needs your attention" and you might consider going that route for now to lessen the number of changes in the program. IF something like that was said, ultimately wasn't it still Bo's choice? If the O was working, that would be one less hire I had to make at the time but that's me.

I would say by the common knowledge on this board we have no clue what is going to happen next. I bring up the hiring of Moos as a prime example. There was speculation and insider info and not one time did I see his name dropped but low and behold, look who got the job. Which tells me, a lot of people don't know anything, including me, and the U did a very good job of keeping things quiet apparently.
I am pretty sure Osborne was quoted as saying, he encouraged Pelini to keep the offensive coordinator and the philosophy intact. If the athletic Director is a legendary coach, and he is the one who hired you, I’m not sure your first decision would be to go against his recommendation.

Regardless. My point to the poster I responded to was that Callahan keeping Pelini’s defensive philosophy that had 1 year of success at Nebraska wasn’t going to be the difference unless he hired Pelini to be his DC. Even then, the odds of Pelini lasting more than a couple of years was slim, if Callahan didn’t agree with the philosophy. Just like when Pelini was hired and encouraged to keep Watson.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT