ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Search Our roster and recruiting base

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Make hiring a well established coach problematic. No top coach wants to walk in to a complete rebuild without a large natural market for recruits. IMO our best bet might be to find the brightest young coach we can find be it a P5 coordinator or a head coach of lessor experience and stature. I still think taking a run at Zac Taylor wouldn’t be crazy either. His contract isn’t prohibitive. We could possibly double his pay.

If I’m not mistaken, I think we did that last time. Not saying Zac is right or wrong, but I’m to the point of not wanting anybody with past ties to the Husker program, burn it all to the ground and start fresh.
Callahan burned it to the ground in more than one way. Massive failure not understanding NE/NU & what works there.

Many HC's tend to have big egos and throw everything out rather than blend the good with what they bring.
One example: BC should have kept Bo's defensive scheme that was ranked something like 2 or 3 in scoring D in the nation, instead of installing his own. Many of the players disliked it due to it being more complex than Bo's scheme.

Last edited:
Callahan burned it to the ground in more than one way. Massive failure not understanding NE/NU & what works there.

Many HC's tend to have big egos and throw everything out rather than blend the good with what they bring.
One example: BC should have kept Bo's defensive scheme that was ranked something like 2 or 3 in scoring D in the nation, instead of installing his own. Many of the players disliked it due to it being more complex than Bo's scheme.
I feel as if we didn't have enough degrees of separation when Callahan burned everything down. There were still pieces in place, even very solid success within the previous 3 years, and we were only one-coach-removed from Osborne when Callahan torched it all. Well, when Callahan and Pederson torched it all.

Pederson...

seinfeld-newman.gif

Now, we have 5 degrees of separation from Osborne. May as well burn everything down at this point...

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Oh, good Lord. Zac was on his way out, before the team decided it could do things. ZT is not the answer.
You never know if you don’t try. He had the final say on drafting Burrow and in 2 years they went from worst to first

Proximity to recruits is a thing of the past. With NIL money and the transfer portal, it simply isn’t as important as it used to be. The right coach can overhaul the roster in no time and begin winning immediately.
Believe it or not Momma still wants to be able to go to her baby’s games. Proximity is still a big deal for some if not most recruits.

Believe it or not Momma still wants to be able to go to her baby’s games. Proximity is still a big deal for some if not most recruits.
Every recruit has different motivations but these days you can also watch Nebraska games just about any where in the country on TV. That helps a lot vs. the "old" days where TV coverage was more rare. And some families do want their sons to live in a "safer" city with crime being high some places. So, it's mixed motivations for recruits these days who each have their different wants.

What good recruiters have to obviously do is stress their strengths and play down the weaknesses.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Make hiring a well established coach problematic. No top coach wants to walk in to a complete rebuild without a large natural market for recruits. IMO our best bet might be to find the brightest young coach we can find be it a P5 coordinator or a head coach of lessor experience and stature. I still think taking a run at Zac Taylor wouldn’t be crazy either. His contract isn’t prohibitive. We could possibly double his pay.

Garrett Riley.

If Leipold or Monken is the best we can do, I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Riley. With the success he's having at TCU, he's going to be a Power 5 head coach soon. Might as well be here.

Proximity to recruits is a thing of the past. With NIL money and the transfer portal, it simply isn’t as important as it used to be. The right coach can overhaul the roster in no time and begin winning immediately.
Typical kool-aid answer who’s in denial. Proximity is still everything. Especially for coaches. Name a coach that says they love spending their free time at the airport? On the road missing the kids first everything. No one wants that. There is no quick fix - the top recruits are going to go the OSU, Bama, OU’s of the world. You’ll get your occasional hit because there’s prob baggage and the top tier teams don’t need to take the risk.

Should've never fired Callahan.

Every recruit has different motivations but these days you can also watch Nebraska games just about any where in the country on TV. That helps a lot vs. the "old" days where TV coverage was more rare. And some families do want their sons to live in a "safer" city with crime being high some places. So, it's mixed motivations for recruits these days who each have their different wants.

What good recruiters have to obviously do is stress their strengths and play down the weaknesses.
That’s all true but if your kid is a linemen about the only time they show him is when he commits a penalty. As a parent of a recently graduated east cost college dance team member I can tell you that we made too many trips to
Massachusetts over the past 4 years and all she was doing was dancing on the sidelines or at halftime of basketball games. Momma’s pull is strong.

Reactions: RedCap
Nah. The talent level isn’t top notch, but they can be coached up. We see it year after year across every league and every level. A great coach/staff would flip this shit almost immediately, especially considering our year in year out competition. And anywhere is a destination if the money is there.

Reactions: nostromo78
There are pieces on the Nebraska squad that can compete against the BIG just not enough of them. We need a HC who can bring in the missing pieces and make it whole, this is what the next HC must do.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Garrett Riley.

If Leipold or Monken is the best we can do, I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Riley. With the success he's having at TCU, he's going to be a Power 5 head coach soon. Might as well be here.
Is it him or Dykes running that offense?

Why is that automatically an advantage for Nebraska? There are bigger states, bigger schools with a lot more resources, i.e. NIL money to throw around. What's to say the new NIL and all isn't worse for Nebraska? Where is the evidence?

The fact that every game is on TV regardless of school is a huge detriment to NU. TV coverage, which NU had more than most schools, is no longer a competitive advantage.

Which is what Tuco was saying.

I would much rather take my chances with a young bright mind who will take some time to rebuild and establish greatness and then plans to stay long enough to be an institute in themselves.

Frankly, from reading some of the posts on here, if we just hire the "right" person like an Urban, we win tomorrow. Sorry, not happening.

NIL $$ removes recruiting issues. The roster is full of young undeveloped players, any coach worth his salt will jump at the chance. The best part of the roster is they have no bad habits to break, they were never developed to that point... There are always plusses to the negatives, and negatives to the positives. The facilities, the fan base, and the conference make this a worthwhile job. For coaches who do not want to recruit or put in the effort will pass on this job and wait for an opening in the south, but with those jobs comes the baggage of alumni, boosters, and weak administrations. Personally, I think the Auburn job is the worst on the market, talking about living in the land of make-believe.

Oh, good Lord. Zac was on his way out, before the team decided it could do things. ZT is not the answer.
Tell me you don’t watch the NFL without telling me you don’t watch the NFL

Marvin Lewis coached the Bengals 16 years and only made the playoffs 7 times. Their owner, Mike Brown isn’t the type to fire guys after 2 bad seasons. geeze. Especially when you realize how many of Zac’s Losses those first couple seasons were one score games.

Zac was smart enough to see AJ Green was done and he rebuilt the WR core. Zac has coached in 2 Super Bowls. Us not wanting him as a coach is as laughable as not wanting Joey Burrow to be QB.

Is Zac Taylor better than what we have? Hell yes he is . better than what we have or can get.

People who say “we don’t want Zac” is the equivalent of some fat ugly guy who says a certain supermodel is ugly. 😂

But Zac just doesn’t have the ties to our school like others do or think he would. He played here during the decline. Then love and loyalty just isn’t there.

Chadwell!

The fact that every game is on TV regardless of school is a huge detriment to NU. TV coverage, which NU had more than most schools, is no longer a competitive advantage.
I respectfully disagree. NU was never on television that much in the old days and certainly not across the country most of the time. I live out of state and I was always frustrated because I couldn't watch the games back then. Now it's on every week.

Yes, other schools are on too but IMO it's still much better for NU. Recruits/families can see the full memorial stadium and how passionate the fans are - that's one of our advantages. Not every school on TV fills up its stadium week after week.

Marvin Lewis coached the Bengals 16 years and only made the playoffs 7 times. Their owner, Mike Brown isn’t the type to fire guys after 2 bad seasons. geeze. Especially when you realize how many of Zac’s Losses those first couple seasons were one score games.

Zac was smart enough to see AJ Green was done and he rebuilt the WR core. Zac has coached in 2 Super Bowls. Us not wanting him as a coach is as laughable as not wanting Joey Burrow to be QB.

Is Zac Taylor better than what we have? Hell yes he is . better than what we have or can get.

People who say “we don’t want Zac” is the equivalent of some fat ugly guy who says a certain supermodel is ugly. 😂

But Zac just doesn’t have the ties to our school like others do or think he would. He played here during the decline. Then love and loyalty just isn’t there.
Are you high? Seriously.

Maybe. And obviously I don't think ZT would come coach here. But there is a pretty cool video of him and some others celebrating the fact they drafted Britt being a former Husker.

Disagree to a point. Yes NIL and transfers will be there but recruits like to be close to home IF possible. Cultural issues are also important as is the weather. Granted OSU and Michigan do not have great weather all the time either but they currently have winning programs. Lincoln is a nice city but does not stand up to say Austin, Knoxville, S. Cal., Baton Rouge, etc. But a winning culture cures a lot if ills.

Disagree to a point. Yes NIL and transfers will be there but recruits like to be close to home IF possible. Cultural issues are also important as is the weather. Granted OSU and Michigan do not have great weather all the time either but they currently have winning programs. Lincoln is a nice city but does not stand up to say Austin, Knoxville, S. Cal., Baton Rouge, etc. But a winning culture cures a lot if ills.
Different recruits have different priorities - they're just not all the same. There are enough talented recruits out there that Nebraska can get its share. Not every one wants to come to Lincoln but they don't all want to go to Austin, Knoxville, S. Cal., Baton Rouge, etc. either. I'm more worried about the new coach/staff being able to actually develop the talent once those players get here. That's been the bigger problem as of the last several years.

I respectfully disagree. NU was never on television that much in the old days and certainly not across the country most of the time. I live out of state and I was always frustrated because I couldn't watch the games back then. Now it's on every week.

Yes, other schools are on too but IMO it's still much better for NU. Recruits/families can see the full memorial stadium and how passionate the fans are - that's one of our advantages. Not every school on TV fills up its stadium week after week.
I don't understand your point. NU being on TV 3-4 times per year was a huge recruiting advantage back in the day. Few schools got that coverage. Now every San Jose State game is on TV every week. Being on TV offers zero recruiting advantage now.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I don't understand your point. NU being on TV 3-4 times per year was a huge recruiting advantage back in the day. Few schools got that coverage. Now every San Jose State game is on TV every week. Being on TV offers zero recruiting advantage now.
It's simple. When you're in a low populated area away from the recruiting hotbeds it's more important to have every game on TV than only 3 or 4 games. Doesn't matter that other teams are on TV. Parents and prospective recruits will watch the games that are relevant to them (i.e., their kids are at the school or are being recruited by the school). But they can't do that nearly as much if only 3 or 4 games are on TV (and most of those 3 or 4 games weren't national coverage).

Coming up with excuses to set the stage for low expectations as always dingle. Right on cue.

Garrett Riley.

If we want to go cheap, a coordinator is our best option. I've been saying it all along.

It's simple. When you're in a low populated area away from the recruiting hotbeds it's more important to have every game on TV than only 3 or 4 games. Doesn't matter that other teams are on TV. Parents and prospective recruits will watch the games that are relevant to them (i.e., their kids are at the school or are being recruited by the school). But they can't do that nearly as much if only 3 or 4 games are on TV (and most of those 3 or 4 games weren't national coverage).
I don't know how old you are, but back in the day, the best teams in the country (NU was one of them) were on TV only 3-4 times per year. Other teams 0-1 times. It was a huge recruiting advantage to be able to walk into a living room and tell Mom she can watch her son play that often. Now literally every school is on TV every week somewhere. Being on TV offers zero recruiting advantage now for anyone, and losing that advantage hurt NU.

I don't know how old you are, but back in the day, the best teams in the country (NU was one of them) were on TV only 3-4 times per year. Other teams 0-1 times. It was a huge recruiting advantage to be able to walk into a living room and tell Mom she can watch her son play that often. Now literally every school is on TV every week somewhere. Being on TV offers zero recruiting advantage now for anyone, and losing that advantage hurt NU.
Yes, but do you think Nebraska is one of the best teams today? We would hardly be on any national TV if there were that few games being televised.

And being located within driving distance of the school back then was far more important to families than just 3 or 4 TV appearances. All games on TV today is a much better advantage than 3 or 4 games vs. location.

But we can agree to disagree about it. Doesn't matter what we think. What's important is what recruits think.

ADVERTISEMENT