ADVERTISEMENT

Our players are now filing a lawsuit

Guaranteed that Warren is on the phone right now trying to strong arm all of the university presidents into give written statements that they voted to postpone the season.
Im guessing that these players/parents have had conversations with Moos and Green prior to filing, and may have been given the go ahead.

Reactions: Crazyhole
So you don't think that if these players win their lawsuit against the B10 that schools won't follow-suit knowing that the precedent has already been established?
I'd be very surprised if they did. Maybe if a school was already looking to leave the conference it might be worth it but I dont think that's on the table. The university would have the burden of proving they could have earned (x) amount outside of conference play and that there isn't a non-compete clause as part of membership, but the Big10 prevented that member from making that money. It likely wouldn't go anywhere.

Im guessing that these players/parents have had conversations with Moos and Green prior to filing, and may have been given the go ahead.
Moos may have even encouraged it. IF somehow this would lead to the B1G playing this fall, it would make every AD in the B1G's job MUCH easier.

Reactions: Baxter48 and WHCSC
Moos may have even encouraged it. IF somehow this would lead to the B1G playing this fall, it would make every AD in the B1G's job MUCH easier.
It would be predicated on an opt-in, opt-out choice. Wouldn't surprise me if Moos has spoken with other schools to see who would opt in. Boy would that be interesting. I also wonder how they would handle media rights and revenue.

Man, how does Nebraska and the B1G go forward together after this mess. Its like a child filing a lawsuit against his parents then all going about their business as normal during the holidays.

Reactions: CatColumbia
There are at least some interested external parties because the Zoom option for viewing the proceedings today is at capacity. The capacity is set at 100 for those curious.

The BIG has until 5 pm Monday to deliver a formal response, then the Nebraska players attorney can file a response by Tuesday. The judge didn't sound convinced by the players attorney's argument, but hope I read her wrong.

or he is referring to the harm that setting the precedent that would be set by "giving in" to the demands of a few athletes. Agree that he should have worded it a little differently

Reactions: TheBeav815
The BIG has until 5 pm Monday to deliver a formal response, then the Nebraska players attorney can file a response by Tuesday. The judge didn't sound convinced by the players attorney's argument, but hope I read her wrong.

You did. She was talking about expedited discovery, not discovery in general. Basically she was just saying that they need to provide a reason why they can't do it on the timeline that the plaintiffs set forth. She basically just gave the defense an out for an injunction but that's it, which is understandable.

*my other conspiracy theory* the big 10 cancelled season so students could not organize and demand payments. If that was the reason I could see why the big 10 would not want to let it known publicly.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and bluenrg
*my other conspiracy theory* the big 10 cancelled season so students could not organize and demand payments. If that was the reason I could see why the big 10 would not want to let it known publicly.
in response to Northwestern players arguing (successfully, as @jlb321 has pointed out) that scholarship athletes at private institutions are, indeed, employees and therefore deserve right to organize, state legislatures in MI, OH and PA crafted and passed laws prohibiting such behavior.

it's very, very public that the largest institutions in the B1G are against players organizing.

A county judge hearing the request?? This seems more than something you would in Lincoln. With the BIG operating in multiple states it would seem like it could be thrown out for lack of jurisdition. Where did the " vote" actually take place if it did?
I suspect if a vote did, indeed, take place, it did so virtually, given the very scary and dangerous virus running amok.

Wow, this isn't exactly comforting that decisions were made based solely on the safety of the athletes. More like, "Oh shit we F up big time and if we tell you what really happened we are all screwed"
Rule #1 in legal defense: be honest with your lawyer. This dude was obviously NOT told all of the facts by his clients. Claiming that harm will come from the truth is not a compelling argument.

So you don't think that if these players win their lawsuit against the B10 that schools won't follow-suit knowing that the precedent has already been established?

if not otherwise dismissed immemorial lack of standing to sue, we should get resolution in oh, 18 to 24 months or so. Will do NOTHING for this season.

Reactions: Red I 73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT