ADVERTISEMENT

Our players are now filing a lawsuit

Love it! Frost is building a team of guys that want to play ball at all cost.

On the flip side, this is the kiss of death between us and the Big 10 in my opinion. We’re the new kid on the block and we’re not dancing to their tune. The Big 10 will make sure we get screwed for years to come if we stay.

This guarantees that it won't get dismissed. They are basically alleging breach of contract and the Big10 will have to respond, proving they didn't. That means document production.

On the flip side, this is the kiss of death between us and the Big 10 in my opinion. We’re the new kid on the block and we’re not dancing to their tune. The Big 10 will make sure we get screwed for years to come if we stay.

So, the status quo then?

This makes me happy!

Remember when Frost said he planned to recruit kids who loved football? He found those kids.
I also remember frost commenting on getting certain type of kids with faith and a good family. Call me crazy, but the amount of kids on the current roster with married parents (that are also conservatives) is far higher than the last 5 years or so. Team maturity will rise with this trend.

Guaranteed that Warren is on the phone right now trying to strong arm all of the university presidents into give written statements that they voted to postpone the season.

Reactions: bshirt73

So in other words, nothing new

Guaranteed that Warren is on the phone right now trying to strong arm all of the university presidents into give written statements that they voted to postpone the season.

Ronnie has already stated there were voices that objected “suspending” the season. We know Nebraska was one, but not sure on the other(s).

This guarantees that it won't get dismissed. They are basically alleging breach of contract and the Big10 will have to respond, proving they didn't. That means document production.
If there was indeed a vote, it will force the presidents to no longer hide behind Warren and show their true colors. Could be some presidents losing theirs jobs.

It won't matter what they say now. The B1G will have to provide proof that there was an official vote before canceling the season. That proof needs to be a video or audio recording. Or some sort of official minutes filed paper work from the time of the meeting when the vote took place. If they can't provide that they are in breach of contract as a vote must be taken place to implement canceling the season.

Last edited:
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_6aa8a134-e59d-5cee-97c7-da794736623e.html

Well crafted complaint.

"Breach of contract. The league — through reputation, public statements and its own documents — has established it exists in part to benefit its student-athletes. It potentially violated that contract by not holding an actual vote within its Council of Presidents and Chancellors."
What? Where is this duty, obligation to “hold an actual vote” located? That’d be a well pled allegation. This is nothing more than good faith and fair dealing, at best.

Edit: I do not have access to the article. Is the complaint on line somewhere?

If Warren had the ability to strong arm anyone, he wouldn't have bent over when the discussions on ending the season took place.

yep, exactly. I just don’t see how the relationship can be repaired, and not that I want it to be.
It all depends... if the majority of the schools favored playing (not including presidents, of course) we could be viewed in a more favorable light. But Warren would have to be gone. That’s for sure.

I believe they would only need 9 votes to cancel. Not all 14.
Many reports that came out indicated a decision of this magnitude required a unanimous vote. That if there were dissenting votes they kept talking until they reach unanimity. I don’t think it’s in the by laws, but more of an unwritten rule that the B1G has always employed.

Until now, allegedly...

Reactions: husker2612
It won't matter what they say now. The B1G will have to provide proof that there was an official vote before canceling the season. That proof needs to be a video or audio recording. Or some sort of official minutes filed paper work from the time of the meeting when the vote took place. If they can't provide that they are in breach of contract as a vote must be taken place to implement canceling the season.

The reason he would do this is for the initial response. If he can get statements from all presidents saying that a vote had taken place and conference protocol was followed, they might be able to get the judge to dismiss summarily. If not, this will go to the discovery phase and it'll be hard to object to production of documents. Basically 1 of 2 things will happen: we will get statements from the members and that will be the end of it, or it'll be a couple of months before we find out what happened exactly.

I also remember frost commenting on getting certain type of kids with faith and a good family. Call me crazy, but the amount of kids on the current roster with married parents (that are also conservatives) is far higher than the last 5 years or so. Team maturity will rise with this trend.

Pffftt.. I remember those Miami teams of the 80s, 90s, and 00s being some real nuclear families.. :rolleyes:

Reactions: cornhustler
Green has to know things, right?
Would he allow the players to demand these things if he thought it was a fools errand??
On the flip side, if he was encouraging this then he would told them to list the university as a defendant as well.

I'm no lawyer so this is a potentially stupid question, but if the B10 is found 'guilty' of breaching the contract then could they be held financially responsible for the subsequent impact to these schools?

Reactions: bluenrg
With such a firm response I assume you're a lawyer/attorney? Otherwise you are just as clueless about this as I am :)

I guess I don't understand WHY the B10 couldn't be held financially responsible if their direct actions (ie. breach of contract that disallowed schools to play football) resulted in said negative financial impact. Why are they void of accountability?

Reactions: husker2612
With such a firm response I assume you're a lawyer/attorney? Otherwise you are just as clueless about this as I am :)

I guess I don't understand WHY the B10 couldn't be held financially responsible if their direct actions (ie. breach of contract that disallowed schools to play football) to be held accountable for said actions.

I say no, because the university would have to sue for damages. The players aren't representing the university.

I say no, because the university would have to sue for damages. The players aren't representing the university.
So you don't think that if these players win their lawsuit against the B10 that schools won't follow-suit knowing that the precedent has already been established?

So you don't think that if these players win their lawsuit against the B10 that schools won't follow-suit knowing that the precedent has already been established?

They could, but I’m not sure where the money would come from. It’s almost like Nebraska would be suing themselves. Maybe schools that voted yes to a fall season could sue the schools that said no? That would be a lot of fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT