ADVERTISEMENT

Our Offers and Ratings

nebcountry

Junior
Oct 29, 2013
m52kk.jpg

The majority of our offers are in the mid 3 star to mid 4 star range. There are 94 uncommitted players in this range with offers from NU. There are only 8 remaining offers to 2 star and players with no ranking.

Recruiting is just really getting going for us, and we have time to land a solid class. With so much talent still left, it might be best if we cool off a bit. At least wait for some more commits to start judging trajectory.

I don't have the numbers on who Riley offered at Oregon State, but 2010-2014 the Beavers signed 5 low 4-star players and one high 4-star. 15 high 3-stars, 30 mid 3-stars, 34 low 3-stars, and 28 2-star or below.

We'll see who Riley lands, but I think it's fair to say he's aiming higher here at Nebraska. In Corvallis, his median recruit was a low 3-star, data here says we aren't offering too many recruits in that star range.

I'm very excited by a lot of the players (especially OL, LB, and WR) that we're listed in the top 2 or 3 for.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Nice chart and gives a bit of perspective, thanks for posting it

How's this compare to last year about this time?

Here's a "hot board" from another site that listed who we had committed and who we were after pretty hard as of last July (they stopped updating this board, which makes it more useful for historical review)

We had a simply fantastic start last year, but as this makes pretty clear our recruiting pipeline was very lean. We weren't in on enough numbers beyond the early commits. To make it worse, we didn't sign a single one of the players listed here. I thought we had a great chance of landing Christian Rector or the briefly committed Hunter Dale, but nope.

Very cool breakdown, thanks for making this. Great to see that the highest percentages of offers are up in the 4* range.

You can expect that there simply won't be a ton of 5* and very high 4* guys to offer in the first place, so it makes sense to be putting good effort where the talent and opportunity coincide. IMO this is how a board should look at this time. Put the work in on the best guys. If it doesn't pan out, you can always roll it downward to the next tier.

Random question about recruiting. I recognize that teams often times have 3 - 4 times the amount of offers than actual positions allowed. But how does that work? Let's say for example, all the 3 or 2 stars accept early on, leaving fewer spots for the higher caliber athletes. Do offers get pulled? Let's say 4 QB prospects are offered but we only want 1 or 2, once 1 or 2 sign, do the others just go their own way because they see that 2 QB spots are taken, or is there a formal process where they are told, your offer is no longer good?

In the past some recruits would say they hadn't heard from recruiter for a while; so less likely they were in the mix - don't expect new coaches to operate this way. From comments; our coaches are telling recruits where they stand : number one target etcetera. On occasion some have got a call and were told; first to commit gets the final position spot. Others do know they are possible or possible" greyshirts ". . From poster comments; some players are not instant reaction commitable. One rb may be a yes and your in; another, and its I will get with coaches and figure out your place/

Random question about recruiting. I recognize that teams often times have 3 - 4 times the amount of offers than actual positions allowed. But how does that work? Let's say for example, all the 3 or 2 stars accept early on, leaving fewer spots for the higher caliber athletes. Do offers get pulled? Let's say 4 QB prospects are offered but we only want 1 or 2, once 1 or 2 sign, do the others just go their own way because they see that 2 QB spots are taken, or is there a formal process where they are told, your offer is no longer good?

Yes, they do sometimes. Basically you need to offer to show you're serious. The HS coaches and the kids know how it works that it's one thing to have an offer out, and it's another to actually have an open roster spot.

Thanks for clarifying. I knew there must be some system in place to handle, but no one has ever explained the nuts and bolts about how the process works.

ADVERTISEMENT