ADVERTISEMENT

OU is trampling their traditiond. The REAL realignment thread

I was going by state rankings for Texas, which has always been where OU and Texas build their rosters, OU has 40% of their roster from Texas. For 2022? Looking at Rivals for Texas recruits.

#8 and #18 are Texas A&M, #11 is Florida and #20 is Mizzou.

The last two years OU and Texas have not had top 10 classes for Rivals or 247, while A&M has. In 2021 the SEC had 4 of the top 6 classes, in 2020 it was 7 of the top 10.

Kids want to play on the big stage.
I don’t think anybody is looking at Oklahoma’s classes the last few years and thinking this ain’t gonna cut it.

I think everyone already has blowout losses to Oklahoma and Ohio state penned into their schedule for this year. I doubt what happens in Norman will affect Frost’s job status one bit.

Trev has talked a lot about fundamentals since he arrived here. Fundamentals has been one thing surprisingly absent in Frosts time here. IF they can strengthen that up and make a good showing against the rest of the schedule than Frost will be just fine.

I think it will take a few years, but I do think okalahoma might slip a bit by going to the $EC.

They both could depart earlier but both would have to pay media rights fee of 76 million each..

That isn happening…

It only takes a few big donors to take care of it. Winking

By the way the University of Texas Endowment has over 30 billion dollars and Oklahoma has around 2 billion if funds are needed.

Not sure if those funds could be used in this situation but money could be available.

Kind of ironic given the sobbing we heard over NU potentially buying out their contract with OU to play a home game instead. NU cost themselves a loss in the L column and probably between 8 to 10 million dollars to go to Norman and get their ass kicked. The nostalgia by our fan base that is going to have us go down their, get our ass kicked, and maybe cost our coach his job. That is illogical. OU is taking the logical non-nostalgic approach to their finances by saying FU to their traditional conference mates.......and we're going down their to build their playoff resume. Stupid.
Well OU doesn't really have any other choice but to follow Texas into the SEC if they're invited. Without Texas, the Big 12 is dead as a P5 conference and Oklahoma has no other P5 options besides the SEC.

It only takes a few big donors to take care of it. Winking

By the way the University of Texas Endowment has over 30 billion dollars and Oklahoma has around 2 billion if funds are needed.

Not sure if those funds could be used in this situation but money could be available.
Would they take money out for Athletics maybe your right don’t see OU wanting to do that.. Still think 2023 will be when the moves is made.. But of course the whorns are a snooty arrogant self righteous university..

I think everyone already has blowout losses to Oklahoma and Ohio state penned into their schedule for this year. I doubt what happens in Norman will affect Frost’s job status one bit.

Trev has talked a lot about fundamentals since he arrived here. Fundamentals has been one thing surprisingly absent in Frosts time here. IF they can strengthen that up and make a good showing against the rest of the schedule than Frost will be just fine.

I think it will take a few years, but I do think okalahoma might slip a bit by going to the $EC.
Can a coach who has been unable to instill any semblance of fundamentals in 3 seasons miraculously turn the corner? Great for us if he can, but not counting on it. Fundamentals is one of the first things you see change in a program when an above average coaching staff takes over. Still waiting after three years is concerning.

it will take a lot less than 10 years for all of college football to completely change.

this move won't be for the long haul. it'll just get them used to playing against a handful more good programs every year while we sit around and complain about how difficult it will be to beat wisc, nw, iowa and purdue for once.
How many remember the rotary phone and long for it's return? Yup time marches on !

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Cowardice was wilting in front of the criticism of the national media and weepy eyed old nostalgic fans. It was cowardly and financially stupid to play OU in Norman. OU needs that game. We don't. Watch them cancel the game in Lincoln next year.
It's cowardly to play Oklahoma and brave to chicken out and cancel? What kind of imbeciles think this way?

Reactions: Trojanhorse13
OU is making the decision to increase the strength of their schedule 5 fold....we tried to get out of playing them because we don't want the country to see us get our asses handed to us. Totally the same thing.

I think it's a gamble. that will pay off great or go belly up for 0u and texas...if they win big they will be set, if they start losing and recruits from texas have teams in texas like baylor, tcu, tt, houston....they can go to instead..
and stay & play in texas....0u and ut might find themselves in a foreign entanglement.

Cowardice was wilting in front of the criticism of the national media and weepy eyed old nostalgic fans. It was cowardly and financially stupid to play OU in Norman. OU needs that game. We don't. Watch them cancel the game in Lincoln next year.
Then some on here will defend OU. Anything to keep bitching like little girls about NU.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think this move to the SEC could really bite OU in the ass. Right now they are the king of the Big 12 and one of two big time recruiting schools. In the SEC they will be one of about 7 big time recruiting schools and will be a geographic outlier. OU’s move to the SEC could end up alot like Nebraska’s move to the B1G.I ag
I agree Head. But I am very much in the minority. Guess the dollars rule. Which is why we think the Huskers went to the Big 10. Hasn't worked out for your guys yet. Maybe OU will also be unlucky. On the other hand if they put the Sooners in a division with Missouri, Arkansas and the Mississippis and only play Alabama every 4 years or so maybe OU will do ok. Sooners can beat UT and A&M; LSU the big problem.

No way that would happen. Too many OU fans already made reservations for Lincoln next year. AD knows how critical these two games are to OU fans. Especially the oldies like me. Who give them money.

I don’t think anybody is looking at Oklahoma’s classes the last few years and thinking this ain’t gonna cut it.
Tuco, OU has been recruiting in Texas for over 70 years after Bud Wilkerson sent Merrill Greene to Abilene. And will be recruiting for a third to 40% of its players for the next 70 years. Only issue will be whether being in the SEC will let OU beat out Alabama and LSU for recruits that don't want to go to A&M or UT. Guess we will find out.

Okie70.. This move proves OU is hooked to the hip what ever uterus does OU will follow them down the rabbit hole..

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
Tuco, OU has been recruiting in Texas for over 70 years after Bud Wilkerson sent Merrill Greene to Abilene. And will be recruiting for a third to 40% of its players for the next 70 years. Only issue will be whether being in the SEC will let OU beat out Alabama and LSU for recruits that don't want to go to A&M or UT. Guess we will find out.
C’mon man it is Bud Wilkinson. Smh

Then some on here will defend OU. Anything to keep bitching like little girls about NU.
No, I’ll gladly bag on OU if they pull out of the game in Lincoln. I just don’t feel the need to invent some lame-ass, dipshitted wild story about OU canceling, just to justify running away from the whole series.

Well said. In the expanded SEC, you can really only have one winner of the conference and probably only 3-4 teams who's fan bases would be happy with the season. Everyone else, 12 teams are failures.

One of the appealing things about college football used to be that the regular season meant everything. Now I think we're heading for a 16 team playoff with the SEC being a super conference and demanding that their three loss SEC teams should always be in the playoffs.
That's why$ec is pushing for playoff expansion. Starting to make more sense all the time trying to get ahead of it

It's cowardly to play Oklahoma and brave to chicken out and cancel? What kind of imbeciles think this way?
It would have taken serious nuts to do the right thing financially and for our W/L record. We didn't have them. I want to screw over those F'n Hillbillies at every chance we get because that's EXACTLY what they did to us for years INCLUDING the votes that sent us to the B1G. OU votes with NU a couple of times instead of against us and maybe we're still in the Big12 and it's still a viable conference. OU doesn't give a rip about the nostalgia of this game. They just want a cupcake from the B1G to pad their playoff resume.

Reactions: HuskerHackFraud
Not sure why Texas would move.

They have a sweet ESPN deal with the Longhorn Network, and are now completely opening up Texas to full bore SEC recruiting.

Not sure how Oklahoma wins in this deal as they are ridiculously dependent upon Texas recruiting. Can they now out-recruit Bama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida for those same guys now?

Reactions: 4norsemen

They have a sweet ESPN deal with the Longhorn Network, and are now completely opening up Texas to full bore SEC recruiting.

Not sure how Oklahoma wins in this deal as they are ridiculously dependent upon Texas recruiting. Can they now out-recruit Bama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida for those same guys now?
But they will have to out recruit those schools in Texas regardless of what conference OU is in.

I think it will perhaps be easier to recruit a kid to OU when they are in the SEC. If a kid from Dallas can go to OU, 3hrs away rather than Georgia or Florida 10 hours and a plane ride away, and still play in the SEC, why not stay closer to home.

Texas recruiting suffered a bit when A&M went to SEC And those other schools came in. Now those kids can stay closer to home and still play in the SEC.

But they will have to out recruit those schools in Texas regardless of what conference OU is in.

I think it will perhaps be easier to recruit a kid to OU when they are in the SEC. If a kid from Dallas can go to OU, 3hrs away rather than Georgia or Florida 10 hours and a plane ride away, and still play in the SEC, why not stay closer to home.

Texas recruiting suffered a bit when A&M went to SEC And those other schools came in. Now those kids can stay closer to home and still play in the SEC.

OU has never had it like this.

I want them to succeed in that conference, trust me, but when they aren't the biggest dog on the porch it will be interesting.

They are moving because when the Big XII approached Fox and ESPN about a new TV deal when their current one runs out in 2025 they were turned down and told the money wouldn't be great the next time. Add that the SEC recently signed a $3B deal with ESPN for 10 years that will replace the current bargain CBS deal that only pays $55M per year. The money will be going up almost six times in three years unless ESPN is able to buy out the remaining years from CBS. Taken together, it makes perfect sense for Texas and OU to jump a sinking ship.

Texas is getting $15M per year for the LHN. Each SEC team will be getting more than that in additional revenue from the new ESPN contract. In other words they are moving for money, a lot of money.

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
They are moving because when the Big XII approached Fox and ESPN about a new TV deal when their current one runs out in 2025 they were turned down and told the money wouldn't be great the next time. Add that the SEC recently signed a $3B deal with ESPN for 10 years that will replace the current bargain CBS deal that only pays $55M per year. The money will be going up almost six times in three years unless ESPN is able to buy out the remaining years from CBS. Taken together, it makes perfect sense for Texas and OU to jump a sinking ship.

Texas is getting $15M per year for the LHN. Each SEC team will be getting more than that in additional revenue from the new ESPN contract. In other words they are moving for money, a lot of money.

Thanks. Makes sense with the numbers.

Still not sure how it works out for both of them in a much more competitive conference, and now giving up their prized recruiting grounds.

Reactions: Forever A Tiger
Kind of ironic given the sobbing we heard over NU potentially buying out their contract with OU to play a home game instead. NU cost themselves a loss in the L column and probably between 8 to 10 million dollars to go to Norman and get their ass kicked. The nostalgia by our fan base that is going to have us go down their, get our ass kicked, and maybe cost our coach his job. That is illogical. OU is taking the logical non-nostalgic approach to their finances by saying FU to their traditional conference mates.......and we're going down their to build their playoff resume. Stupid.
?? NEB gave up tradition and winning in a money grab. I bet OU and UT will both compete better than NEB.
this is a smarter move than Nebraska's move was. Not saying any of the moves were stupid just that I think NEB will be hurt by their decision more than OU/UT will be.

I was going by state rankings for Texas, which has always been where OU and Texas build their rosters, OU has 40% of their roster from Texas. For 2022? Looking at Rivals for Texas recruits.

#8 and #18 are Texas A&M, #11 is Florida and #20 is Mizzou.

The last two years OU and Texas have not had top 10 classes for Rivals or 247, while A&M has. In 2021 the SEC had 4 of the top 6 classes, in 2020 it was 7 of the top 10.

Kids want to play on the big stage.
i dont know what you're looking at but OU has kicked ass in recruiting. They arguably can't recruit any better than they are. They are getting the #1 QB; #1 WR; a Top 10 RB and a top 10 OL in every recruiting class. Their D recruiting has improved a lot. They are already a force.

Well said. In the expanded SEC, you can really only have one winner of the conference and probably only 3-4 teams who's fan bases would be happy with the season. Everyone else, 12 teams are failures.

One of the appealing things about college football used to be that the regular season meant everything. Now I think we're heading for a 16 team playoff with the SEC being a super conference and demanding that their three loss SEC teams should always be in the playoffs.
at some point in the future the top SEC teams will want to kick out all the mediocre programs that are just riding their coat tails. Every conference has 2-4 programs that generate all the TV money and all the rest of the schools just get to ride along and get rich. The big12 is no different.
at some point the big boys will realize the only way to make even more money will be to stop splitting the money 16 ways and get rid of the schools who are not generating any benefit.
the B12 is just the first conference to start this process.
market wise there is no reason the bottom half of the SEC should make more money than OU/UT/USC/Clemson.
and at some point they wont. they will be gone

at some point in the future the top SEC teams will want to kick out all the mediocre programs that are just riding their coat tails. Every conference has 2-4 programs that generate all the TV money and all the rest of the schools just get to ride along and get rich. The big12 is no different.
at some point the big boys will realize the only way to make even more money will be to stop splitting the money 16 ways and get rid of the schools who are not generating any benefit.
the B12 is just the first conference to start this process.
market wise there is no reason the bottom half of the SEC should make more money than OU/UT/USC/Clemson.
and at some point they wont. they will be gone

Bullshit.

Bama still needs Vanderbilt to pack their stadium for $10M and a W. Bama going 6-6 doesn't work.

Travel costs for other programs would be detrimental.

Everything sounds great for football which is the cash cow, but expenses for flying the women's soccer team to USC has to come into question.

Interesting comments. And yeah I can't remember how to spell Bud's name. But OU has been doing fine recruiting Texas (and now Fla. and California) for many years. It's just the SEC is getting better at it, especially now that the Huskers are not a factor. Have no idea how this will turn out except OU AD will have a lot more money. How did that work out for you guys?

Interesting comments. And yeah I can't remember how to spell Bud's name. But OU has been doing fine recruiting Texas (and now Fla. and California) for many years. It's just the SEC is getting better at it, especially now that the Huskers are not a factor. Have no idea how this will turn out except OU AD will have a lot more money. How did that work out for you guys?

Nebraska has sucked at recruiting TX for a very long time. I'm not sure why people still believe we were reliant upon TX talent when in the Big 12. The only guys from TX that have been worth a shit in the last 50 years are Turner Gill, Rex Burkhead, and Aaron Graham.

Jersey has been a better hotbed for Nebraska football with the Peter brothers, Jammal Lord, Mike Rozier, Rich Glover, and Irving Fryar.

Sort of. The Bama QB that is about to be a millionaire has more to do with Alabama itself than the SEC as a whole. An Oklahoma or Texas QB, assuming the state has NIL legislations should be able to make as much in endorsements as an Alabama QB regardless of conference affiliation.
That's true. OU qbs win Heismans and get drafted at the top. Their QB should command the most NIL.

Nebraska has sucked at recruiting TX for a very long time. I'm not sure why people still believe we were reliant upon TX talent when in the Big 12. The only guys from TX that have been worth a shit in the last 50 years are Turner Gill, Rex Burkhead, and Aaron Graham.

Jersey has been a better hotbed for Nebraska football with the Peter brothers, Jammal Lord, Mike Rozier, Rich Glover, and Irving Fryar.
Anything recent? You're going back 30, 40 years.

Anything recent? You're going back 30, 40 years.

Anything recent from Texas?

I'll give you the benefit of doubt, but outside of Burkhead, who from TX was a good get when we were in the Big 12? The amount of 4* busts from that state is never ending for us.

Anything recent from Texas?

I'll give you the benefit of doubt, but outside of Burkhead, who from TX was a good get when we were in the Big 12? The amount of 4* busts from that state is never ending for us.
Jaimes was a multi year starter and an NFL draft pick. Josh Kalu is another. Tommy Armstrong was a multi year starter.

I had a few minutes this morning so I went back 10 years and counted the number of players from Texas that Nebraska signed, ratings based on Rivals.

2012 - Aaron Curry 3 star DL - played as a true freshman and started the 8 Big Ten games as a sophomore.
Transferred to TCU when Bo was fired. 2 year starter for TCU, 2nd team All Big 12 as a senior,
Tommy Armstrong 3 Star QB - Multi year starter

2013 - Dwayne Johnson 3 star OL - Never played at Nebraska - transferred to Texas Tech rarely played there
Dimarya Mixon 3 star DL - Didn't qualify, ended up at Tennessee and then SMU
Adam Taylor 4 star RB - Blew up an ankle as a Redshirt Freshman and never fully recovered - was scout
team MVP as a true freshman while redshirting. This would qualify as a bust. But not necessarily due to
lack of skill or development.

2014 - The aforementioned Josh Kalu - 3 star DB - multi year starter - still playing in the NFL
Drew Brown 2 star Kicker - He did his job
Larenzo Stewart - 3 star RB - didn't qualify
Trai Mosely - 3 star DB transferred to Central Arkansas and was a 2 year starter there.

2015 - Jordan Stevenson - 4 star RB - huge bust - but he only came to Nebraska because he was denied
admission to Wisconsin. - Low risk recruit because he signed in late July.
Devine Ozigbo - 3 star RB - started as a senior and is now in the league with the Jags

2016 - No Texas players signed

2017 - Damien Daniels - 3 star DL - still on the team
Brendan Jaimes - 3 star OL - see above
Deiontae Watts - 3 star DL - didn't qualify

2018 - Cam'ron Jones - 4 star DB - Redshirted and transferred to SMU - struggled with academics at Nebraska

2019 - Brant Banks - 3 star OL - still on the team battling for a starting spot at RG

2020 - Will Nixon - 3 star WR - injured freshman year
Omar Manning WR - 4 star juco WR - played sparingly in the covid season. Still a shot

2021 - Latrelle Neville - 3 star WR - true freshman in 2021

In 10 years Nebraska has recruited 19 players from Texas, 4 of the 19 were 4 star players, 3 were busts - 1 was injury (Taylor), 1 was a quitter (Stevenson), 1 transferred and is still playing (Cam Jones), 1 is still on the roster (Manning). 3 are on NFL rosters right now, 1 was a 4 year starter at QB.

It could be said that we don't recruit Texas enough, with 3 of 12 (1/4) of the draft eligible players were either drafted or are on NFL teams currently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT