ADVERTISEMENT

OU dominating transfer portal

bingo65

Sophomore
Jun 18, 2020
the big boys are benefitting more from the portal than other programs. Programs like OU have few weak spots and now when they do they can eliminate the weak spot through the transfer portal. Before they would just have to play the inexperienced player and try to overcome their occasional weak spot. OU has landed each of the best tennessee transfers. A 5-star offensive tackle to replace the one that left. A 4-star safety to replace the one that left. And a 4 star starting RB to replace the one that left. Not only does OU get to cover up their weak spots they might have actually upgraded their team in the process. the transfer portal is like MLB free agency where only 4-5 teams get all the best free agents.

the big boys are benefitting more from the portal than other programs. Programs like OU have few weak spots and now when they do they can eliminate the weak spot through the transfer portal. Before they would just have to play the inexperienced player and try to overcome their occasional weak spot. OU has landed each of the best tennessee transfers. A 5-star offensive tackle to replace the one that left. A 4-star safety to replace the one that left. And a 4 star starting RB to replace the one that left. Not only does OU get to cover up their weak spots they might have actually upgraded their team in the process. the transfer portal is like MLB free agency where only 4-5 teams get all the best free agents.
I've thought all along that the top programs really won't be affected by this and they'll be able to cherry pick top players off of teams without as much success.

I've thought all along that the top programs really won't be affected by this and they'll be able to cherry pick top players off of teams without as much success.
The theory I've heard preached is the top programs non starters will go to lesser programs for playing time. Thus flooding lower programs with great talent. Yet to really see that on a grand scale.

Until they fix the 25 cap its not really flowing freely.

If only somebody could have seen this coming.
well some people did. the problem is giving the players more rights. the penalties associated with transferring worked as a deterrent. now there are no deterrents. its free agency. Free agency ALWAYS favors the big boys.
and unless something actually hurts the big boys they wont want to change it. You wont be able to build a program through the portal but like i said earlier you can turn your spots of weakness into strengths and avoid down years.
now there is literally nothing preventing the blue bloods from dominating every single season

The theory I've heard preached is the top programs non starters will go to lesser programs for playing time. Thus flooding lower programs with great talent. Yet to really see that on a grand scale.

Until they fix the 25 cap its not really flowing freely.
I think there are multiple things that will stop some of that flow downward. One is simply that most winnning P5 programs have very nice amenities for their players. There are perks to being a backup at an elite program.

I was just thinking this today. So much harder to knock those teams off now. Instead of having areas to develop and areas with no experience, they are just plucking guys out of the portal and not missing a beat.

yes. college fb is going to get really tiresome. It is already the most lopsided and unbalanced of any sport i can think of. The transfer portal and paying players is only going to make it worse.
the big boys can enjoy this for several years then something will have to happen to keep the sport interesting. I can see scholarship reductions helping balance things out a little.

Reactions: stucknks
I was just thinking this today. So much harder to knock those teams off now. Instead of having areas to develop and areas with no experience, they are just plucking guys out of the portal and not missing a beat.
It's still a QB dominated game. OU had to start a reshirt freshman this year and while they were still a very good team, it likely cost them 2 games. With the new transfer rule Rattler might have left OU if they hadn't started him this year.

Reactions: huskerhounds
OU also lost several contributors to the portal. A WR to Miami, a safety to Colorado, a linebacker to Tulsa, a QB to TCU, another QB to SMU, a running back to Utah. They have actually lost as many or more players to the portal as they’ve gained.

OU also lost several contributors to the portal. A WR to Miami, a safety to Colorado, a linebacker to Tulsa, a QB to TCU, another QB to SMU, a running back to Utah. They have actually lost as many or more players to the portal as they’ve gained.
It’s more about gaining top players at position of need than losing players likely not going to start heading to a more friendly depth chart. Top programs and successful coaches are at the front of the line. We know there is a line just not sure how long it is.

Reactions: 54T

The players that OU lost in portal weren't starters.

im sure riley isnt at all concerned about who he lost. It gave him opportunity to replace them with better players. especially in his areas of immediate need. Getting a 5-star starting offensive tackle to replace the one leaving for the NFL outweighs losing 8 backups to the portal.

yes. college fb is going to get really tiresome. It is already the most lopsided and unbalanced of any sport i can think of. The transfer portal and paying players is only going to make it worse.
the big boys can enjoy this for several years then something will have to happen to keep the sport interesting. I can see scholarship reductions helping balance things out a little.
You said it. I've never been much of an NFL fan but the last few years I find myself drawn more and more to the pro game. There are so many things about college fb that annoy me that I just find the NFL a much better product.

Reactions: HuskerDana
The players that OU lost in portal weren't starters.
The WR was a starter, but the rest were not. I wonder how many may have been “encouraged” to consider the portal, in hopes of opening up scholarships for better players to transfer in?
This portal has changed college football forever. And I’m still on the fence about whether I think the change is good or not. I support players being able to go where they want, but it also seems like the portal will just help the rich get richer.

Reactions: dinglefritz
OU will never be consistently elite if they continue to rely on transfers at major positions, like QB. They can have success in the big 12, however. I would argue they should be able develop a guy to do what they ask the QB to do down there. Sooners are not close to the Alabama's of the world, and won't get there without sustained leadership at important positions, particularly QB.

OU will never be consistently elite if they continue to rely on transfers at major positions, like QB. They can have success in the big 12, however. I would argue they should be able develop a guy to do what they ask the QB to do down there. Sooners are not close to the Alabama's of the world, and won't get there without sustained leadership at important positions, particularly QB.
Lol, Oklahoma needs a defense to compete with Alabama. The qb position and their offense is no issue at all.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Well they have the #1 high school QB in america from both of the last 2 recruiting classes on their roster. I'd say they appear to be doing as well as any college program in the history of college fb at recruiting high school QBs.
Rattler is a favorite to win the Heisman next year. This year's #1 high school QB is supposed to be better than Kyler Murray.

Here's a quick list of the Alabama's of the world:
1. Alabama.

The End.
OU can't compete with Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, and probably a few more to that list. Their offense has been a problem against good teams. They have had QB's that show up and start with little to no connection to the players, coaches, community or university and then they leave at the end of the year as they get beat by actually skilled teams. Its not a good model for future success, or immediate success outside of the big 12

Well they have the #1 high school QB in america from both of the last 2 recruiting classes on their roster. I'd say they appear to be doing as well as any college program in the history of college fb at recruiting high school QBs.
Rattler is a favorite to win the Heisman next year. This year's #1 high school QB is supposed to be better than Kyler Murray.
They may have a good one in Rattler. We will see if a non transfer with blood and sweat equity in the program can elevate them to elite status. I put a lot of stock in leadership at the QB position when it comes to beating teams with superior talent, something OU struggles with.

Mayfield and Murray were both at Oklahoma for three years. To imply they had no connections to the team or university is just flat out incorrect.

The only quarterback they’ve had recently who was a one-and-done was Hurts.

The only quarterback they’ve had recently who was a one-and-done was Hurts.
And he was awesome so the notion that they can't compete with a transfer at QB is wrong. Period.

I wouldn’t say Hurts was bad. He finished second in the Heisman voting. You are right about Big 12 defense, it has been lacking for sure.

OU can't compete with Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia.
2017 - OU 31, Ohio State 16. In Columbus.

Rose Bowl - Georgia 54, OU 48. In double overtime.

OU has not competed well with Bama, Clemson, or the 2019 LSU team. (Who has???) They’ve been pretty competitive with just about everyone else.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
I wouldn’t say Hurts was bad. He finished second in the Heisman voting. You are right about Big 12 defense, it has been lacking for sure.
Hurts was very good against big 12 teams. I was stating that he was bad against LSU, who was the only elite team they saw. He looked lost out there, the entire offense reflected that. He lost his gig at a place that is quite good at talent evaluation, and I don't think Jalen will set the NFL on fire either. I guess I just really value a QB that the staff recruits, develops, and trains. Generally those guys are integral to the culture the team has/needs. Talented transfers rarely bring that part, unless they transfer very early. I see a lot of talent at Oklahoma, but not enough to just roll it out there and win. In the big 12 yes, but c'mon, they haven't been ready for the elite

They may have a good one in Rattler. We will see if a non transfer with blood and sweat equity in the program can elevate them to elite status. I put a lot of stock in leadership at the QB position when it comes to beating teams with superior talent, something OU struggles with.
QB is the last thing OU has had to worry about. I don't see why it matters if it's a transfer qb or non-transfer qb who's winning the Heisman. OU's problems are squarely on the defense.

Yep, this is what winning coaches do. If they can make an upgrade somewhere, they go ahead and do it. They don't sit back and make excuses and get played by 2nd stringers transferring.

And we get the pleasure of playing then next year Going to be brutal

That has to be one of the craziest blogs of all time talking about OU’s QB situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT