ADVERTISEMENT

OU’s Murray declares for NFL

Where would he be drafted by the NFL? First round signing bonuses in the NFL would be more than what he got from the A’s.

It’s a nice problem for Murray to have. There’s usually more money long-term in MLB, but it can take a while to get there.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Not an NFL QB, at all, but somebody will draft him and make him very rich. Great move for him, but I'm glad my team has a QB, because I'd feel like we wasted a very high pick on him if my team drafted him, and the following year they would probably stick with him no matter what so next years deeper class of QB's won't do the team who takes him this year, any good.

Will that hurt his nfl stock? Would you as a GM or owner waste ahigh draft pick on him and risk that he might go play baseball? Or does that just open up the check books more??
Yes and no.

Russell Wilson may the the best recent example (I believe he still does offseason stuff with the team who holds his rights, used to be the Rangers, now the Yankees).

John Elway is another good example told the Colts he wouldn't play for them, the Colts drafted him, Elway went to play a bit for the Yankees before being traded to Denver.

Bo Jackson was selected by Tampa Bay and decided not to play for them, played baseball for the Royals, and was eligible to be re-drafted into the NFL the next season.

And then there's Deion Sanders, who played both.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Yes and no.

Russell Wilson may the the best recent example (I believe he still does offseason stuff with the team who holds his rights, used to be the Rangers, now the Yankees).

John Elway is another good example told the Colts he wouldn't play for them, the Colts drafted him, Elway went to play a bit for the Yankees before being traded to Denver.

Bo Jackson was selected by Tampa Bay and decided not to play for them, played baseball for the Royals, and was eligible to be re-drafted into the NFL the next season.

And then there's Deion Sanders, who played both.
So you think he'll try to play both??

Great player, but the dude is simply too little to play NFL football.

I’d personally rather have him than any other qb out there in the draft. He’ll be a first rounder, rack it.
I’ve seen him twice in high school and there is just something electric about how fast he his and his accuracy. Also, he’s been a plain stud at EVERY level of play, including the highest level of Texas (3 state champs, Gatorade POY) and college (Heisman).
But hey, that’s like my opinion man.

Kid has no shot at being an NFL qb. He'll end up fooling around and losing a ton of money in the process.

I see this as a bush league move on Murray's part. He signed a contract with the A's and he needs to honor it. Welcome to adulthood.

I've seen him in pictures and watched him against Alabama. I think he truly is too short and doesn't have the frame to add pounds to hold up in a 16 game season, unlike WIlson, Brees, or Mayfield. He almost lost his head against Quinnen Williams. After a season of getting banged up he'll be a shell of his former self.
It's entirely possible he can then reenter the MLB draft but coming out of college, on top of the NFL, few teams are going to want to bother on a guy who sniffs the majors at 27 (at the earliest).

I don't think that would be possible at the QB position. He'll have to choose one, in my opinion.
Since you were naming guys that did play both, I thought maybe your gut was telling you he might.

Agreed, and recently there really hasn't been any successful ones

I see this as a bush league move on Murray's part. He signed a contract with the A's and he needs to honor it. Welcome to adulthood.
Well the A's have some adults running the show, so presumably they have some contractual remedies to pursue like normal adults do. It is business... age has nothing to do with it.

Given today’s rules some of you are making way too much out of an inch and 20 pounds. Murray will be terrific if he commits to football full time. He can throw off platform like Stafford or Mahomes but with Alex Smith level accuracy and yethe has Tarik Cohen level athleticism (or close to it.). He’ll be a top 10 NFL QB for a long time IMO.

There are three no brainer NFL stud QBs currently in college IMO:

Murray
Tua
T. Lawrence (who is a cut above)

I think J. Fields may be as well but I simply haven’t seen enough.

Kyler Murray is 165lbs soaking wet

Wilson has 50 lbs on him.

Nah, I doubt he is even 69". I bet he is like 67". I bet he is easily over 180. He is fairly thick thru the lower half and hip region. Shake what your momma gave you.

He is a higher end athlete than Wilson. He would be a magnificent slot. Egos and all that...

Doug Flutie and Russel Wilson say hello... that’s all I got.

The deck is stacked against him, but not insurmountable.
When Flutie was drafted, the top 5 OL drafted had an average weight of 280 lbs. Not only that, I think Kyler Murray is even shorter than Flutie. No way is the guy over 5'9", and I'd guess closer to 5'7" honestly. Tua is 6'1" and Murray looks like his little brother.
gettyimages-1070139280-3.jpg

Reactions: Mudge1026
Isn’t NFL football bigger than NCAA, it’s been mentioned If his hands aren’t 9” min no way he goes 1st round. Great athlete but not big, I say 5’7 or 5’8 max.

Doug Flutie and Russel Wilson say hello... that’s all I got.

The deck is stacked against him, but not insurmountable.
I don't think he has the arm talent of Flutie and he's not as stout as Wilson. Actually I think Flutie was taller than him. IMO, he's nuts to not take the guaranteed baseball money. He's got a much safer future in baseball and those guys have a blast on the road.

As a Broncos fan, I'd take him @ #10....pair him with Phil Lindsey...that's a ton o speed in the backfield...plus I think Elway feels slightly sheepish that he passed on Russell Wilson for Brock Osweiler and then passed on Dak for Paxton Lynch...tall QBs are overrated...get me a baller who can move

Since you were naming guys that did play both, I thought maybe your gut was telling you he might.

Agreed, and recently there really hasn't been any successful ones
The QBs in the group I listed didn't play much professional baseball. Russell Wilson essentially quit after transferring to Wisconsin (save for a couple novelty spring training appearances) and John Elway used it as leverage to get the Colts to trade him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT