ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Yahoo Comments

cornhead1

Senior
Sep 13, 2007
I noticed a few weeks ago that Yahoo is no longer allowing comments on any articles. My conspiracy theory is that this allows the MSM to report anything they want without being called out on accuracy. Seems kind of odd that this would be happening right before the elections.

Am I crazy? It's possible

i thought they killed those long ago, but i havent been on yahoo in years.

Reactions: Red I 73
The truth was being revealed in the comments so they nixed it. Would not be surprised to see comments reinstated on Nov. 4th or shortly thereafter.

Actually....I think it's because people are nastier than ever right now and policing the comments are to much trouble.

Some of both I think. I was a big reader of the comments. When they were fertilizing the world at large, as they often do, people would come out of the woodwork to challenge their lies. They're so in bed with the left it is nauseating. But yeah, no one to call them out anymore. Convenient.

I think the proliferation of social media and comment sections actually create MORE misinformation.

It's only now that you can't seem to believe anything you read or hear. I think it's a direct result of people sharing too much information and it being too easy to troll one another.

Heck, look at this board sometimes..

Nobody really cares about what you have to say and your opinion doesn't really matter.. but you give people a platform, and they believe they are being heard and making a difference, even when they are not.

Twitter said they are going to censor President Trump if he declares victory "too early" on election night.

Yeah, it's happening and it's going to go to a whole new level in the next couple months.

My wife noticed some things were missing from facebook that were factual. I thought they were fact checking not narrative checking. Makes no difference to me because I don't do social media. But I don't like the unconditionality of it and feel sorry for those that look to social media for their news

Twitter said they are going to censor President Trump if he declares victory "too early" on election night.

Yeah, it's happening and it's going to go to a whole new level in the next couple months.
Thing is he will declare victory regardless of the results so anything that amplifies his dipshittery should be muted

There is a legal aspect to this that a lot of companies are trying to address. By allowing comments it kind of crosses the line between being a media aggregator and a publisher. That line means being able to be sued for libel.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Spoken like a true leftist.

Having free speech means giving people the option to speak like a "dipsh*t" and also give people the right to decide what is and what is not "dipsh*ttery" themselves.

Free speech does not apply to businesses, they are welcome to police content or even ban users as they see fit.

Ever heard of section 230 of the CDA? It was passed by Congress because they understand that the tech giants and their platforms have become integral in the free exchange of ideas. Are you okay with tech companies influencing elections, being free from campaign financing laws, and literally not only giving free advertising for a specific candidate in the form of their ideas and policies being promoted and supported but also shutting down the candidate and policies they don't favor?

https://www.eff.org/issues/cda230

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Am I crazy?
I stopped reading at "Crazy", OP. The answer...?

1OeE.gif

There is a legal aspect to this that a lot of companies are trying to address. By allowing comments it kind of crosses the line between being a media aggregator and a publisher. That line means being able to be sued for libel.
You sir know what you're talking about. There's a lot more implications that go with it that they're walking a fine line that I'm sure they don't want another 4+ years of

Here's an example. There's an article from Salon on my Yahoo feed. It says legal experts warn Trump will end up at Rikers Island if he loses the election. How absurd.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Here's an example. There's an article from Salon on my Yahoo feed. It says legal experts warn Trump will end up at Rikers Island if he loses the election. How absurd.

They are definitely putting him in prison if he loses . . . and a few of his kids . . . they'll go after some friends and business partners as well . . . it's gonna be full on Stalinville if they take congress and the whitehouse . . . the good news is they are going to be destroyed in November because they have revealed exactly who they are. AND TRUMP GETS 100% OF THE CREDIT FOR GETTING THEM TO DO THAT. That single accomplishment probably makes him the best President since Lincoln.

Reactions: bshirt73
My wife noticed some things were missing from facebook that were factual. I thought they were fact checking not narrative checking. Makes no difference to me because I don't do social media. But I don't like the unconditionality of it and feel sorry for those that look to social media for their news

We should all feel sorry for those that look to social media for their news...

yahoo “news“ it nothing but one sided hyperbolic political news coupled with inane celebrity horse feces ( Chrissy Teagen’s new foot wear is ALL of use) written at a kindergarten level.

Comments will return after Biden wins

Sir, this IS social media.

Reactions: Crazyhole
I noticed a few weeks ago that Yahoo is no longer allowing comments on any articles. My conspiracy theory is that this allows the MSM to report anything they want without being called out on accuracy. Seems kind of odd that this would be happening right before the elections.

Am I crazy? It's possible

Alot of media sites have done stuff like this over the years.

Fox News for example generally allows comments. But on articles that are going to be contentious, guaranteed shit shows in the comments...they don't bother. Which is a healthy percentage of their daily reporting.

Breitbart appears to allow comments basically all the time, but a good chunk of the commenters will gripe about the fact their posts are being editing, removed, or otherwise censored.

I really miss the Yahoo comments on the financial articles. For example every article advising everybody to wait until 70 to take Social Security. Whatever the topic, commenters responded with sourced facts and figures and destroyed the authors of the poorly-researched articles. Of course they shut down the comments, all their contributors routinely were proved to be the fools they are.

I really miss the Yahoo comments on the financial articles. For example every article advising everybody to wait until 70 to take Social Security. Whatever the topic, commenters responded with sourced facts and figures and destroyed the authors of the poorly-researched articles. Of course they shut down the comments, all their contributors routinely were proved to be the fools they are.

I'll be honest, I'm surprised anyone has read Yahoo anything in the last 20 years. Google had pretty much taken over as the new "thing" by the turn of the century, and Yahoo and AOL (which I know have reinvented themselves to stay afloat all these years) just seem like remnants of a bygone era.

I can't remember the last time I intentionally went to Yahoo to look for anything. Every great once in a while, someone will have a link to yahoo sports article or something they found, but that's about all I've done with it since high school.

Reactions: TheBeav815
You sir know what you're talking about. There's a lot more implications that go with it that they're walking a fine line that I'm sure they don't want another 4+ years of
At this point in time, not that much of a consideration because a public official can't really bring a libel suit. The problem they are having is when an individual makes a comment about another private individual that is untrue, by publishing it they can be sued. For example, if one person calls another person a rapist in the comment section and that person can prove damages due to the claim, a person could sue Yahoo for publishing it.

Foreign govts are successfully penetrating social media platforms in the US, sowing discord and igniting a firestorm of hatred for one another. The results are devastating. All planned, all coordinated and very effective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT